PDA

View Full Version : What the hell is "X-Pac Heat"?

KingofOldSchool
05-25-2008, 01:04 PM
Now before anyone tries to tell me what is, I already know. But how the fuck does one determine what kind of heat a person gets?

I mean the term "X-Pac heat" was derived from people assuming that fans chanting "X-Pack sucks!" somehow equaled "Channel changing heat" even though at least he got reactions. Whereas others have gotten no reaction at all (Conway, Snitsky, Knox, etc).

At least people cared enough about X-Pac to react to him instead of being on their hands the whole time like a Rob Conway match.

Could we say that Regal gets X-Pac heat? Or how about Edge? Or John Cena?

road doggy dogg
05-25-2008, 01:36 PM
X-FACTOR
crossrine

Xero
05-25-2008, 01:43 PM
Cena gets bad booking heat.

Kane Knight
05-25-2008, 02:37 PM
Cena gets bad booking heat.

It's still X-Pac heat. He's hated for reasons which clearly don't come from him being a good heel, and in fact is the easiest case to isolate, because WWE doesn't want to admit they can't book him.

Though it is hard to quantify with actual heels. Which is probably why when it happens to someone the IWC LIKES, they defend them by saying "Well, that just proves how good a heel they are."

spunkynut
05-25-2008, 02:40 PM
LOL@Kane Knight behaving, as always, like he is not a member of the IWC!

Xero
05-25-2008, 03:23 PM
It's still X-Pac heat. He's hated for reasons which clearly don't come from him being a good heel, and in fact is the easiest case to isolate, because WWE doesn't want to admit they can't book him.

Though it is hard to quantify with actual heels. Which is probably why when it happens to someone the IWC LIKES, they defend them by saying "Well, that just proves how good a heel they are."

Technically, X Pac heat is heat because the person, not the character, is terrible.

Jura
05-25-2008, 03:28 PM
They should used X-Pac Heat to rate peppers instead of Scovilles.

Kane Knight
05-25-2008, 04:47 PM
LOL@Kane Knight behaving, as always, like he is not a member of the IWC!

Hush.

Technically, X Pac heat is heat because the person, not the character, is terrible.

"Technically," I don't think the fans really care why Cena sucks, they just want him off the screen. And X-Pac heat is "Get the fuck off my TV" heat.

KingofOldSchool
05-25-2008, 04:48 PM

But how does one determine it? I mean unless someone goes out and surveys every single member of the live audience, none of us really knows what their reaction is based on.

I mean I can say Regal gets "X-Pac heat" but like KK said, it wouldn't be long before someone comes to Regal's defense by saying "No, he's just a good heel!"

I'll boo Cena as long as I want, but I'm booing Cena the charatcer and not the human being. Whereas I boo Hulk Hogan because he's a self serving piece of shit and not because of the self serving piece of shit he is inside the ring.

Kane Knight
05-25-2008, 05:02 PM
There are only a few people we can really, definitively say have "GTFOMTV" heat. Triple H got booed, and it cost the company ratings during his segments and pretty much only his segments. Cena gets booed, and we know it's not because he's supposed to, given he's still a face. X-Pac got bad reactions even when he was over, so he's a lock. But how many others can we really PROVE?

And yeah, this is building specifically off what KoOSh said.

Heyman
05-26-2008, 02:00 AM
Interesting discussion:

To me, "X-Pac heat" is a term that is used to describe wrestlers that garner little or no reaction (and the fans could care less about them). Ironically enough, I don't think "X-Pac heat" was a good term to describe X-Pac.

As much as people hated X-Pac, I think fans for the most part still loved seeing him on TV. Before DX turned heel in 1999, X-Pac was actually very over as a face.

X-Pac's tremendous heel heat stemmed from when he turned his back on Kane (IMO - this angle by the WWE was done exceptionally well. The fans literally hated X-Pac for that).

Long story short - there was a LOT of emotion behind the "boo's" that X-Pac got. The fans dug into his character. Another thing to note - When X-Pac was off of TV for about 4 months or so and returned at a House Show, he actually got a pretty good face pop against Bossman. Typically - wrestlers with "X-Pac" heat will not get this IMO.

John Cena is another guy that does NOT get X-Pac heat IMO. The fans love to hate on him. Another thing with Cena - I think the fans expect MORE out his character, and perhaps this is another reason why he gets booed mercilessly. However - the fans CARE about Cena's character.

To me - "X-Pac" heat is when the fans do NOT give a fuck about you....and hence - very little reaction is garnered.

For me - wrestlers like Charlie Hass, (former) tag team of Lance Cade/Trevor Murdoch, and perhaps even someone like Mark Henry are guys that fit the description of having "X-Pac" heat.

In my opinion, X-Pac was far more over (face and heel) than people give credit for.

Afterlife
05-26-2008, 06:43 AM
I would say Cena's case is different, tho. I'm pretty sure that it's not so much him being booed, per se, as he is the target for the fans' projection of their disappointment. Yes, he's receiving the boos, but I find it done in protest to the company mishandling him. He was the same robotic limioted moveset goon when he was a popular heel, so not much has changed except his lack of rhyming and an actual chain. I'm sure he could be well received as a heel again. And it's not so much that the company can't book him, it's that they won't.

Destor
05-26-2008, 09:42 AM
X-Pac heat is a myth created by the IWC.

Kane Knight
05-26-2008, 11:59 AM

Elvis didn't do no drugs!

Theo Dious
05-26-2008, 12:54 PM
I don't know about technical definitions of X-Pac heat. But consider this.

During the 2001 Invasion angle, everyone who was aligned with the WWF was a de facto face. Angle, who had been very solid as a heel, suddenly was a face because of his alignment with the WWF. At the same time, Vince McMahon suddenly got face pops when it became WWF vs WCW. In the whole WWF, it was only X-Pac who was still getting booed (maybe Albert and Justin Credible still got booed too, but if so it was only because of group association with Pac.) Obviously this wasn't because Waltman is a great heel, seeing as the rest of the WWF was getting face reactions. Including Edge & Christian, who fans were booing the hell out of only months before. People continued to boo X-Pac because they didn't want to look at him. At all. Ever. Even seeing him get beaten didn't satisfy fans, because they just didn't want to see him.

I don't think it was because Waltman is particularly useless, either. He was way over as the 123 Kid, as Syxx, and during his DX days. But after DX had gone, he kept his same greasy street punk character, which to me only works when he's in some kind of sidekick role. He's great as a little buddy, the little guy in the gang who has his big friends to back him up, but that character is just no good on its own.

Mooияakeя™
05-26-2008, 05:05 PM
I just think he's shit.

Ruien
05-26-2008, 06:18 PM

Acually it was the character. Who can act as a young wrestler when they are 35? Therefore, give him something new to work with, like TNA did and you get a whole new person. If you did not watch his work in TNA, then you probably should because saying the person is bad.

Theo Dious
05-26-2008, 08:58 PM
If they gave Waltman a Gregory Helms makeover, I'd be really down with that. The whole "I'm sick of playing a character, Im badass and everyone should know it" mentality.

Afterlife
05-27-2008, 01:30 AM
Yes. But they never did. Hence the resentment.

The One
05-27-2008, 01:33 AM

This post is more or less the only thing you need to take away from this thread.

Innovator
05-27-2008, 10:31 AM
It's basically "fuck off" heat

Kane Knight
05-27-2008, 12:20 PM
If they gave Waltman a Gregory Helms makeover, I'd be really down with that. The whole "I'm sick of playing a character, Im badass and everyone should know it" mentality.

The Noid push?

This post is more or less the only thing you need to take away from this thread.

What, that Destorand The One are both full of shit?

Destor
05-27-2008, 04:22 PM
And just for the record, if X-Pac heat were to actually exist (and it doesn't) you really have to call it Sheik heat. (The Original Sheik btw.)

Afterlife
05-28-2008, 05:27 AM
Explain to me why X-Pac heat does not exist.

Impact!
05-28-2008, 06:30 AM
Elvis didn't do no drugs!

That's a double negative

KingofOldSchool
05-28-2008, 10:08 AM
I don't know about technical definitions of X-Pac heat. But consider this.

During the 2001 Invasion angle, everyone who was aligned with the WWF was a de facto face. Angle, who had been very solid as a heel, suddenly was a face because of his alignment with the WWF. At the same time, Vince McMahon suddenly got face pops when it became WWF vs WCW. In the whole WWF, it was only X-Pac who was still getting booed (maybe Albert and Justin Credible still got booed too, but if so it was only because of group association with Pac.) Obviously this wasn't because Waltman is a great heel, seeing as the rest of the WWF was getting face reactions. Including Edge & Christian, who fans were booing the hell out of only months before. People continued to boo X-Pac because they didn't want to look at him. At all. Ever. Even seeing him get beaten didn't satisfy fans, because they just didn't want to see him.

I don't think it was because Waltman is particularly useless, either. He was way over as the 123 Kid, as Syxx, and during his DX days. But after DX had gone, he kept his same greasy street punk character, which to me only works when he's in some kind of sidekick role. He's great as a little buddy, the little guy in the gang who has his big friends to back him up, but that character is just no good on its own.

RVD was suppose to be a heel, but was cheered like mad even though he was aligned with the Alliance.

I know, I know "BUT RVD IS TEH AWESOME, SO FANS RESPECTED HIM!!1!" That still doesn't take away the fact that the fans reacted the opposite way that they were suppose to react to him.

Kane Knight
05-28-2008, 12:24 PM
Explain to me why X-Pac heat does not exist.

Probably for the same reason he's made other lies, like his claims that everyone knew pro wrestling was fake from the 50s on, or how UFC didn't see any crossover appeal until like 2004.

Yeah, yeah, now you're gonna bitch me out, but I just want to point out that you're asking two of the biggest liars on TPWW to clarify why they claim something clearly doesn't exist. Seems kinda counterpoductive, unless you think watching one of them further bullshit is in any way entertaining.

Afterlife
05-29-2008, 03:47 PM
What do I have to bitch you out about?

I'm just trying to understand their point of view, that's all. I've never heard anyone call a term a "myth" before, and I'd like to know why they feel this way. That's all.

05-30-2008, 03:12 PM
JBL is a good example of X-Pac heat. Although it's really a matter of opinion, since we can't really know what all the fans are thinking at one time.

Hell, there was probably some mullet-wearing, skin bag with a black and gold X-pac sign reading, 'Remember Razor Ramon' and the peak of his shittiness.