PDA

View Full Version : QUESTION - If John Cena was in the WWE during the "ATTITUDE ERA" (1997-2001)

Heyman
05-26-2008, 08:56 PM
QUESTION - If John Cena was in the WWE during the "ATTITUDE ERA" (1997-2001)

Preface: Please do not respond to this thread if the main purpose of your post is to disagree with the "Attitude Era" timeline that I gave.

Here is my question:

If John Cena (with his current gimmick) was in the WWE during the Attitude Era, how much success do you think he would have enjoyed?

In other words - do you think John Cena would've been a main-eventer? In light of guys like Austin, The Rock, Triple H, and Undertaker, would John Cena have had any world title reigns? If so, would they have been LENGTHY world title reigns?

If John Cena was around during the Attitude Era, would a guy like Chris Jericho ever be world champ? (how much room can there be at the top?). Would The Rock and Austin still have been as popular? Would they have been the focal point?

During the Attitude Era, a solid argument can be made that the WWE creative team were MUCH smarter. During the Attitude Era, there also wasn't as much CENSORSHIP. Given these facts - perhaps John Cena would've been encouraged to "rap" more....and say edgier things on a more consistent basis.

Taking ALL of this into account, what, in your opinion, would have been John Cena's "place" during the Attitude Era? How would this have affected others?

Personally - I think Cena would've been in a similar spot to what Kurt Angle was in.

Although I think Cena would have been more popular during the Attitude Era (as opposed to now), I still think Austin and The Rock would be the top two guys....with Triple H and Vince McMahon being the #1 heels.

I think Cena would have been a "transitional" world champ (similar to what Angle was in late 2000.....and 2001 for that matter). I also think Cena would have gone down as the greatest Intercontinental champion in the history of the company.

The person MOST affected by John Cena's presence, probably would have been Chris Benoit IMO. Benoit, Jericho, and Angle were probably the top 3 guys after "the big 4" (Taker, HHH, Austin, Rock). With Cena there however, I think Benoit would've been the one to take the fall (I don't say Jericho, because Jericho's charisma would have kept him "in the hunt" IMO).

Basically - Cena would've been what Angle was (in terms or reigns, prestige, etc.) in my opinion (although perhaps Angle still would have had the one title run in the Summer of 01' due to 9/11).

Due to Cena's presence, I don't think Jericho would have won his 1st title until the brand split (circa 2002/2003). I also think the WWE would've paired up Jericho and Benoit at a much earlier time (and therefore, the rivalry of E&C, the Hardy's, and Dudleys, would also have included Jericho & Benoit).

Anyway - what do you think?

thedamndest
05-26-2008, 09:06 PM
I want to say it wouldn't have worked just because Eminem wasn't really huge then and for the most part, things like freestyling stayed underground. So WWE's largely white audience probably wouldn't have gotten it, nor would they have known how to book it in those years.

Ruien
05-26-2008, 10:18 PM
They know how to book it now?

thedamndest
05-26-2008, 10:19 PM
There was a time when they were booking "Rappin' Cena" correctly.

The One
05-26-2008, 10:34 PM
I'm going to guess that if Cena had been around, his rapper gimmick would have landed him in the Godfather/Val Venis category. Maybe a quicky IC Title run, but it would have been dropped sooner or later. Now it is possible that once he dropped the white rapper thing (which he more or less has by this point) and just became "Word Life" is might have gotten a slightly better reaction if for no other reason than The Rock and Steve Austin would have had some great promos. I think, strangely, one of the biggest reasons John Cena still isn't over is that no one rips on him. I mean the type of promo where you're laughing at someone, but know full well that they can still do their job in the ring.

Either way, I think once the Attitude Era died down and Rock and Austin left, I think Cena would have taken over mainly because he is a fantastic face of the promotion. He's big, good looking, and knows how to conduct himself professionally in public appearances.

I guess, in the end, he would have been John Cena all the same, only difference is, I think it would have gone over better with guys like Rock and Austin around at the time to not only make fun of him, but give him the rub.

Theo Dious
05-26-2008, 10:51 PM
Cena would have been total midcard in the Attitude Era. The only reason Cena ever rose in the post-Attitude Era at all was because they needed new stars. When you have the Undertaker, Stone Cold, HHH, The Rock, and Mick Foley (in three fun-filled flavors) to fill your main events, with occasional appearances by Kane and Big Show, and you later have Kurt Angle, you don't need the white rapper guy. He would probably have become wildly popular in matches against the likes of Jericho, Benoit, Gurrerro, or possibly the likes of Val Venis, Rikishi, Goldust, and the like. He would certainly have had IC and Euro title success, and probably a Hardcore run or a dozen. He may have risen to main event status as Attitude faded and the Invasion approached, but I still don't think you hang your company on John Cena until you lose your Rocks and your Austins and split the company in half. Likely his first real main event and title exposure would have come against Lesnar, around the same time it actually did, except the fued would have been a lot more serious instead of just a way to test the waters for Cena.

Fox
05-26-2008, 10:52 PM
I'm going to guess that if Cena had been around, his rapper gimmick would have landed him in the Godfather/Val Venis category. Maybe a quicky IC Title run, but it would have been dropped sooner or later. Now it is possible that once he dropped the white rapper thing (which he more or less has by this point) and just became "Word Life" is might have gotten a slightly better reaction if for no other reason than The Rock and Steve Austin would have had some great promos. I think, strangely, one of the biggest reasons John Cena still isn't over is that no one rips on him. I mean the type of promo where you're laughing at someone, but know full well that they can still do their job in the ring.

Okay, keep in mind that John Cena's gimmick is based on being a white rapper from "the mean streets" of Massachusetts. Key point here is: A WHITE RAPPER. Such a thing as a bad ass, white gangster rapper wasn't heard of, atleast not in a serious sense (counting Vanilla Ice and, to a point, the Beastie Boys, out) before the rise of Eminem, which began in early 1999.

So if John Cena debuted in 1997, I highly doubt that he would have been a white rapper, but would have been given some other kind of gimmick. Would it have gotten him over and made him the "mega star" that his rapper gimmick made him today? Maybe. That all depends.

Cena does have a lot of great traits though. He has the look, he has the build, he can be pretty good on the mic and he can work an athletic style. I think he would have gotten over, but to think that he would have been included in the likes of Stone Cold, The Rock, DX, and the Corporation might be a stretch. Probably an undercard guy working with D'Lo Brown, Jeff Jarrett, Val Venis, Goldust, Test, Bossman - and I'm willing to bet he would've been saddled with a gimmick that wouldn't have taken him anywhere near the top.

Mr. Nerfect
05-27-2008, 01:19 AM
I think he would have been an upper mid-carder that people wanted to see main event, but he never got the chance because the WWE never pulled the trigger, quite simply, because they never had to. His gimmick would have been stronger, he would have wrestled a more natural style, and his promos would have been self-written and not filled with as much cheese as his ones today.

He'd never have cracked it to the very top, but I think he'd have amassed several IC Title reigns, and might have eventually won a WWE Championship as a "trial reign" if the timing had been right (lots of injuries, etc.).

V
05-27-2008, 02:09 AM
I want to say it wouldn't have worked just because Eminem wasn't really huge then and for the most part, things like freestyling stayed underground. So WWE's largely white audience probably wouldn't have gotten it, nor would they have known how to book it in those years.
i dont know you, im sure you're a fantastic poster given your rep and this really has nothing to do with anything but it's so hard to read long posts or take seriously a guy who has albert as his avatar

Kane Knight
05-27-2008, 07:46 AM
Cena's biggest pops were on par with your average midcarder in the Attitude Era.

Kane Knight
05-27-2008, 07:48 AM
There was a time when they were booking "Rappin' Cena" correctly.

All things considered, I can't help but call that luck.

RP
05-27-2008, 08:04 AM
see the thing you have to remember is

CENA WINS

thedamndest
05-27-2008, 12:44 PM
i dont know you, im sure you're a fantastic poster given your rep and this really has nothing to do with anything but it's so hard to read long posts or take seriously a guy who has albert as his avatar

He's the Giant Bernard now.

D Mac
05-27-2008, 01:06 PM
Austin would whoop that ass.

Y2Ant
05-27-2008, 05:42 PM
Steve Blackman would have killed him.

Savio
05-27-2008, 05:43 PM
I'm guessing he'd be in the Corporation

Savio
05-27-2008, 05:46 PM
It really depends on if we are talking about rapping cena or Super cena

I want to say it wouldn't have worked just because Eminem wasn't really huge then and for the most part, things like freestyling stayed underground. So WWE's largely white audience probably wouldn't have gotten it, nor would they have known how to book it in those years. Eminem came out in early 1999 and was a pretty big hit off the bat.

thedamndest
05-27-2008, 07:00 PM
Eminem was a hit right off the bat, but that success wouldn't necessarily translate to other fields so early on. If Cena had just come out right after Em he would definitely be seen as a poser/wigger/never make it as more than a comedy heel. The "rap battle" gimmick that Cena did would probably have to rely on the success of a movie like 8 Mile, circa 2002, for people to really get what it was and gain public acceptability.

Kane Knight
05-27-2008, 09:56 PM
i dont know you, im sure you're a fantastic poster given your rep and this really has nothing to do with anything but it's so hard to read long posts or take seriously a guy who has albert as his avatarthedamndest sucks, I've just been repping him like a motherfucker as an experiment.

:shifty:

thedamndest
05-27-2008, 10:07 PM
And that bed and breakfast? What was that?

Anybody Thrilla
05-29-2008, 05:13 PM
Cena's biggest pops were on par with your average midcarder in the Attitude Era.

The audience was different back then. They were hot for EVERYTHING. I think Cena would have been pretty over given some mic time and some proper Attitude Era booking.

thedamndest
05-29-2008, 05:16 PM
The audience was different back then. They were hot for EVERYTHING. I think Cena would have been pretty over given some mic time and some proper Attitude Era booking.

This is true. Kai en tai got heat against Val Venis for "I choppy choppy your pee pee!" Honestly, Kai en Tai!

Anybody Thrilla
05-29-2008, 05:23 PM
INDEED!