PDA

View Full Version : Wario Land Shake (Wii)

Drakul
05-28-2008, 12:10 PM
A new Wario game has been revealed for Wii. Called Wario Land Shake, it is set for release in Japan on 24 July.

Wario's new game is the highlight of Nintendo's latest Japanese release schedule and although there is no UK release date as yet, it is good to see a new Wario Land game in development.

Wario Land is Wario's platform series which began back in in 1994 with Game Boy's Wario Land: Super Mario Land 3. This was the first game to feature Wario as a playable character although he had appeared as the final boss in Super Mario Land 2. There are three more Wario Land games in the series with the final one appearing on Game Boy Advance in 2001.

Since then Wario has mainly concentrated on his WarioWare series of mini-game compilations, although he has made various cameo appearances in Mario and Smash Bros. games, and he also starred in the 2004 GameCube platformer Wario World.

We await first details and screens but judging by the name, we'd hazard a guess that you'll be shaking that Remote!

Looking forward to this as I'm quite a Wario fan. A few questions come to mind.
Will Waluigi be playable?
How much "shake" can we expect here?

Hopefully screens and maybe a trailer will appear soon.

Dorkchop
05-28-2008, 01:14 PM
Would you like some fries with that shake?

Dorkchop
05-28-2008, 01:15 PM
I hope it's a good platformer. There aren't too many good sones these days.

Drakul
05-29-2008, 12:48 AM
Super Mario Galaxy was really good in my opinion. Can't think of any other platformers I've played in the last few years other than Galaxy, New Super Mario Bros and Sonic Rush and they where all pretty good.
I want a new platformer because I've completely done NSMB and SMG. I've been playing RE4 through for the 2nd time now and occasionally No More Heroes so a brand new platformer is good news for me.

I think we'll get a trailer within a week.

Dorkchop
05-29-2008, 01:23 AM
Good recent platformers that I've played are Galaxy, Yoshi's Island DS, Sonic Rush, Sonic Rush Adventure, and New Super Mario Bros. Sonic Rush Adventure was fun, but it was too short and easy. I Didn't like how you had to play the same level over again just so you could do on to the next stage. I hated driving boats to get to the levels.

I want more platform games. I don't care if they're 2D.

Drakul
05-29-2008, 02:14 AM
I forgot about Yoshi's Island DS. It was ok, I guess but no where near as good as the YI on the SNES.
I had Sonic Rush Adventure but took it back the next day because it kept freezing and seemed a bit dull anyway.

Dorkchop
05-29-2008, 02:05 PM
http://gonintendo.com/wp-content/photos/TVG_WII_0227.jpg

Drakul
05-29-2008, 02:15 PM
Intresting poster. I read that the backgrounds are hand drawn and the characters are toon shaded.

Looks a bit like Super Paper Mario, which isn't a bad thing. Especially since it'll just be platforming without tons of text and leveling up. I assume, anyway.

Drakul
07-07-2008, 09:02 AM
Japanese Intro
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/-ZZqpWPH_Lo&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/-ZZqpWPH_Lo&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Gameplay
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/q7dkzSlfTvs&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/q7dkzSlfTvs&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Destor
07-07-2008, 09:07 AM
Gameplay looks awsesome. That cutscene was touture though. Hope there's not too much of that.

Drakul
07-07-2008, 09:12 AM
I can't see the intro making it into the PAL or American versions of the game but if we do get the anime intro, I'd imagin we'd get a short anime cutscene after each world showing the story slightly progressing and Wario moving to the next game map.

Kris P Lettus
07-07-2008, 09:20 AM
I love the throwback games..

Never really gotten into Wario or Waluigi except for Mario Tennis and Mario Golf on the 64, but this looks sweet..

Boomer
07-07-2008, 09:42 AM
They need to make a bad guy game of someone that isn't Wario.

The gameplay looks fun, albeit simple. Motion controls are obviously the big drawing point here.

Drakul
07-07-2008, 10:25 AM
I've read a lot of people fantasising about a game where you play as Bowser invading the Mushroom Kingdom but that's about it.

Boomer
07-07-2008, 10:29 AM
That idea has crossed my mind multiple times. Any villain, even the smaller ones, would be an interesting twist on everything. Mario games are usually great, but I would like to see something different for a change.

Dorkchop
07-07-2008, 12:31 PM
A bowser platform game, where you invade the castle, could be awesome.

I've always wanted Toad to have his own platformer.

Nintendo should make platform games for a lot of their characters in the Nintendo universe. I'm sure there are lots of things they wanted to put into the Super Mario games, but just didn't seem right. They could use a lot of those unused ideas and really expand on them. I know Luigi is usually playable in them, but he could have a pretty cool game of his own. Nintendo likes to make him a coward, so they could make a lot of the stages dark and scary. They could make a game where you find out the origin of Waluigi and how he became a part of the Mario universe. But Nintendo doesn't really like to give us stories about the origins of their characters.

I'm pretty excited for Wario Land Shake. Hopefully it feels like a Wii game, and not a ported Gamecube game.

Destor
07-07-2008, 12:58 PM
A bowser platform game, where you invade the castle, could be awesome.

I've always wanted Toad to have his own platformer.

Nintendo should make platform games for a lot of their characters in the Nintendo universe. I'm sure there are lots of things they wanted to put into the Super Mario games, but just didn't seem right. They could use a lot of those unused ideas and really expand on them. I know Luigi is usually playable in them, but he could have a pretty cool game of his own. Nintendo likes to make him a coward, so they could make a lot of the stages dark and scary. They could make a game where you find out the origin of Waluigi and how he became a part of the Mario universe. But Nintendo doesn't really like to give us stories about the origins of their characters.

I'm pretty excited for Wario Land Shake. Hopefully it feels like a Wii game, and not a ported Gamecube game.http://library.thinkquest.org/06aug/01856/media/Lmbox.jpg

Drakul
07-07-2008, 01:11 PM
Luigi's Mansion 2 would be so good.

http://www.mywii.com.au/img/gallery/full/163303.jpg
(Yeah, it's fake)

The Mario games are full of characters with abilities and characteristics that would make a good game.

Dorkchop
07-07-2008, 01:21 PM
I meant a tradition platformer, like Super Mario Bros, but designed for the Luigi character.

Destor
07-07-2008, 01:28 PM
Luigi's Mansion rocked. Need a sequal.

Drakul
07-07-2008, 03:18 PM
This is a bit off topic but has anyone noticed that Wario and Luigi have had more character development than Mario has?

Luigi has developed into a coward and Wario has developed the whole grossness ontop of the greedyness but Mario is still just a happy-go-lucky hero.

Dorkchop
07-09-2008, 12:51 AM
<iframe src="http://www.wipido.com/main/video/external/1720" style="border:none; width:486px;height:472px;overflow:hidden;" scrolling="no" border="0" frameborder="0"></iframe>

Looks pretty fun. I wish they made the levels and backgrounds nicer though.

Drakul
07-09-2008, 02:25 AM
Yeah, looks cool. I'm surprised with the amount of animations for Wario and how smooth it looks. I like the looks of the levels but I dunno how fun they'll be until I play it.

Drakul
07-14-2008, 07:25 AM
Wario Land: The Shake Dimension will introduce a cast of all-new Nintendo characters when it's released on 26 September.

The 2D platform adventure sees Wario taking on a new adversary in the notorious pirate leader, the Shake King. He's kidnapped Queen Merelda and it's up to Wario to get her back. Yet this doesn't mean that Mario's evil alter-ego is turning into a good guy as it would seem that a Bottomless Coin Sack - a bag of booty containing a never-ending flow of gold coins - could be his main motivation.

There are five maps, each with their own action-packed stages, to get through in The Shake Dimension. Each one is packed with missions and challenges such as finishing a stage within a specified time limit or collecting a special number of coins. You'll also have to seek out the hidden treasure in each stage to obtain the special items that unlock further stages.

Advertisement:
As previously reported, you'll be holding the Remote sideways and shaking it to activate Wario's special moves throughout the game. Shaking the controller whilst on solid ground will see Wario unleash his Ground Punch move that will stun all enemies on the screen. This move can also be used to manipulate surroundings and grant Wario access to new areas in the game.

Shaking the Wii Remote whilst holding an enemy or money bag will give you extra coins and you'll also have to tilt it to steer vehicles.
You can use your hard-earned coins in the Pirate Shop to purchase exciting items, new maps and videos.

It all sounds like it will be great for Wario fans looking for a bit of retro platform action with a modern twist.

I wonder what the Videos and Items will be.

Drakul
07-25-2008, 07:13 AM
Training level
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/hefukVqn_t8&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/hefukVqn_t8&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

PAL box art:
http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc202/coolchris99/warioland.jpg

Release Dates:

Japan - 24th of July
UK - 26th of September
USA - 29th of September

Dorkchop
10-14-2008, 05:58 PM
Anyone pick this up? I just got it today and so far it's pretty fun. I love a good platforming game.

The only complaint I have about the game so far is the opening video. The animation is really nice, but there are only subtitles. They don't say any words. It's a small complaint, but it doesn't feel right in a nice animated scene like that.

PapaGeorgio
10-14-2008, 06:20 PM
Yeah I got the game, and liek 5 days later I bought a 360 so I haven't played it all that much, but probably got half way through it. It seems like a super short game, but replaying to meet the challenges is interesting.

I like how they do manage to mix it up each level, adding something different as opposed to a rinse and repeat type cycle. Overall I'd say just rent it, unless you are the type of person who has to 100% complete a game. I mean it's a fun game, but not necessarily a 50 dollar game now a days.