PDA

View Full Version : Who is Dream Theater, and why do I care?

BigDaddyCool
06-02-2008, 05:04 PM
The people that I know that like Dream Theater tend to be music/metal nerds. The ones that care more about techique than zazz, which is silly. Anyhow, who are they, and why should I care.

FakeLaser
06-02-2008, 05:44 PM
Progressive Metal and one of the more technically sound bands of the past 20 years.

thedamndest
06-02-2008, 05:45 PM
Dream Theater was just asking me the same thing about BDC, oddly enough.

thedamndest
06-02-2008, 05:49 PM
The people that I know that like BigDaddyCool tend to be accountants/numbersnerds. The ones that care more about sugarbutt than zazz, which is silly. Anyhow, who is he, and why should I care.

Rammsteinmad
06-02-2008, 06:03 PM
They've been my favourite band for the last five years. Basically their arguably the biggest Prog band around today, and definitely the measuring stick for all other Prog Metal bands.

They've been around over 20 years and have accomplished so much. With 9 studio albums, 5 live albums, loads of "Official Bootlegs" and DVDs there is a lot to choose from when it comes to Dream Theater.

Each member is technically sound on their respective instrument and all have a huge reputation in that area ie. Bass player John Myung is well known/respected amoung bass players, and many consider him one of the best players today.

Their music is a mixture of many things. Mainly heavy, technical and epic metal. But sometimes with other influences from genres like Jazz, Classical and Funk. Complex song strutures and long instrumental sections make this a demanding band at first listen, but once you know the songs better you'll be glad you stuck with them. They are also known for the long songs and "Easter Eggs" in their albums/songs etc... finding ways to link a lot of them together.

Over the years they have established themselves in a huge way. With contacts all over the music spectrum. They signed with Roadrunner Records last year to release their first truly "mainstream" album, but this band is no way an underground act.

Each member also has countless side projects/guest appearances etc. So many that it's hard to keep up with 'em all. Some of these are also considered "big name super groups" that produce technical music of the highest order. These include "Liquid Tension Experiment", "Transatlantic" and "Mullmuzzler".

While some people will complain that it's all "mindless shredding" and "Soloing for the sake of it", others prefer the crazy time changes and incredible chemistry this band has. I personally feel that this is without a doubt the tightest band in the world. Any of their lives DVD's will prove that. Guitarist John Petrucci and Keyboard Player Jordan Rudess are both absolute virtuosos who feed off each other very well. Bassist John Myung is amazing to watch and Drummer Mike Portnoy is forever involved in "Best Drummer" debates.

However, it all comes down to taste, so I can only link you to these two sites and you can draw your own conclusions. If you need any recommendations, go with either "Images and Words", "Scenes From A Memory" (Which may be a bit too ambitious for a newcomer), or "Train of Thought" for a more metal feel.

http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=378

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=160722150&MyToken=6c368958-1371-4822-8847-6dbf19aae325

El Vaquero de Infierno
06-02-2008, 06:15 PM
"Images and Words" is down right tasty. Actually, after listening to some Martin Grech I might put that on.

BigDaddyCool
06-03-2008, 10:14 AM
Are they Rush or Primus?

BigDaddyCool
06-03-2008, 10:25 AM
They've been my favourite band for the last five years. Basically their arguably the biggest Prog band around today, and definitely the measuring stick for all other Prog Metal bands.

Rush is the measuring stick.

They've been around over 20 years and have accomplished so much. With 9 studio albums, 5 live albums, loads of "Official Bootlegs" and DVDs there is a lot to choose from when it comes to Dream Theater.

Who doesn't?

Each member is technically sound on their respective instrument and all have a huge reputation in that area ie. Bass player John Myung is well known/respected amoung bass players, and many consider him one of the best players today.

Les Claypool is better.

Their music is a mixture of many things. Mainly heavy, technical and epic metal. But sometimes with other influences from genres like Jazz, Classical and Funk. Complex song strutures and long instrumental sections make this a demanding band at first listen, but once you know the songs better you'll be glad you stuck with them. They are also known for the long songs and "Easter Eggs" in their albums/songs etc... finding ways to link a lot of them together.

Boring

Over the years they have established themselves in a huge way. With contacts all over the music spectrum. They signed with Roadrunner Records last year to release their first truly "mainstream" album, but this band is no way an underground act.

Each member also has countless side projects/guest appearances etc. So many that it's hard to keep up with 'em all. Some of these are also considered "big name super groups" that produce technical music of the highest order. These include "Liquid Tension Experiment", "Transatlantic" and "Mullmuzzler".

Whatever

While some people will complain that it's all "mindless shredding" and "Soloing for the sake of it", others prefer the crazy time changes and incredible chemistry this band has. I personally feel that this is without a doubt the tightest band in the world. Any of their lives DVD's will prove that. Guitarist John Petrucci and Keyboard Player Jordan Rudess are both absolute virtuosos who feed off each other very well. Bassist John Myung is amazing to watch and Drummer Mike Portnoy is forever involved in "Best Drummer" debates.

Keyboard? Alls I'm saying is that Geddy Lee plays bass and keyboard at the same time, therefore anyone merely playing a keyboard sucks.

However, it all comes down to taste, so I can only link you to these two sites and you can draw your own conclusions. If you need any recommendations, go with either "Images and Words", "Scenes From A Memory" (Which may be a bit too ambitious for a newcomer), or "Train of Thought" for a more metal feel.

http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=378

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=160722150&MyToken=6c368958-1371-4822-8847-6dbf19aae325

You have completely failed to explain why BDC should care. But I apprecaite the time and effort you put into explaining who they are.

The Mask
06-03-2008, 10:40 AM
they're rubbish. totally fucking gash. music for nobs who like shit that is fast and 'tight' and full of ridiculous time signatures and time changes and obscure scales and all that bollocks. everyone in college fucking loved them, mongs.

BigDaddyCool
06-03-2008, 10:47 AM
they're rubbish. totally fucking gash. music for nobs who like shit that is fast and 'tight' and full of ridiculous time signatures and time changes and obscure scales and all that bollocks. everyone in college fucking loved them, mongs.

Yeah...that is what I figured. Of the two people I know that like them, one is a associate proffesor for a music engineering class in a college program he helped start and the other is a complete music snob.

Alls I'm saying is that the Ramones knew 3 chords and are one of the best bands ever to exist.

The Destroyer
06-03-2008, 10:53 AM
They're bearable in small doses, maybe a few songs at a time, but I've struggled any time I've actually tried to listen to an album in full.

El Vaquero de Infierno
06-03-2008, 01:26 PM

Somebody's just jealous. :p

Kane Knight
06-04-2008, 12:16 PM
Dream Theater is what Noid would listen to if he was a metal fan. Technically sound like all musicians should be, but nothing to really recommend them.

BigDaddyCool
06-04-2008, 01:50 PM
Kind like Otep or is it Opet?

Kane Knight
06-04-2008, 04:24 PM
You mean Opeth? Opeth is actually good.

I can't believe you mean Otep, since they're not really in the category. They're one step away from Nu Metal.

BigDaddyCool
06-04-2008, 04:25 PM

I can't believe you mean Otep, since they're not really in the category. They're one step away from Nu Metal.

Which ever doesn not have the female lead singer. They all suck though.

The Destroyer
06-04-2008, 04:32 PM

One step? That's rather generous.

Kane Knight
06-04-2008, 04:48 PM
One step? That's rather generous.I rounded up.