PDA

View Full Version : Wait... What?!?! *Raw Dark Match*

What Would Kevin Do?
06-10-2008, 04:06 AM
So, some people are reporting that in a Raw dark match, Bryan Danielson went over Lance Cade cleanly with the Cattle Mutilation.

Interesting...

Destor
06-10-2008, 04:09 AM
I hope he doesn't sign...he's too good for them. WHile I've been saying they need a new Benoit/Angle type guy they will mistreat him. This is terrible...

The Genius
06-10-2008, 04:10 AM
ya, looked what happend to gunner scott.

What Would Kevin Do?
06-10-2008, 04:12 AM
I doubt they'll sign him...You never know though since some people would obviously push for him (Foley, HBM, etc.)

He doesn't really translate to a WWE crowd.... I don't know though. A small part of me says "Hey, Danielson might not do horrible in the WWE". An even smaller part says "Hey, maybe they wouldn't blow it." Most of me though is just screaming "OH DEAR GOD! THE FUCKING HORROR OF IT ALL!"

Destor
06-10-2008, 04:18 AM
I really don't like this. But to be fair, this isn't his first tryout. (Hopefully it's his last.) I know the guy is after the money and all but the guy is an artist and I really can't stand the idea of that being destroyed. GAH. I wish the NWA was still around.

Mr. Nerfect
06-10-2008, 04:56 AM
As much as I love ROH, and feel that Bryan Danielson is fairly crucial to independent wrestling as a whole, and as much as I know the WWE would bitch him out, if Danielson wants the money and the glory, he deserves a shot. The guy is also underrated in the personality department (he chooses to be no frills). The WWE giving him some zest might be just what he needs to connect on a more "entertainment" level, as well.

But in a dream world, he'd step in and stick up for Shawn Michaels against Chris Jericho, we'd see Jericho vs. Danielson, Regal return, HBK and Regal fight over Danielson's soul, some matches with his mentors, fellow students of HBK and Regal (the Regal one mainly in storylines), and by then Danielson would be an established workhorse on the roster.

It's a bit unusual the WWE chose to put Danielson over Lance Cade, though. I'd have expected Cade to sit-down uranage Danielson to hell. Probably a sign that the WWE is very interested in Danielson again. He's under ROH contract, but I don't think it would be very hard to work something out with ROH financially. Hell, imagine how great it'd be if the WWE and ROH came to some kind of agreement between them? Danielson can work non-PPV events for the company (or maybe even PPV events), and maybe ROH can get some other WWE talent out of the deal?

And Larry Sweeney can take credit for it, shaking Vince's hand at a press conference, or something.

Mr. Nerfect
06-10-2008, 04:58 AM
Also, if the WWE sprung for the rights to use "The Final Countdown" as Bryan Danielson's entrance theme, it would instantly make him a top face within the company.

KingofOldSchool
06-10-2008, 08:07 AM
LOL Bland Danielson working for Titan, that would be something...

KingofOldSchool
06-10-2008, 08:09 AM
http://i26.tinypic.com/1zvzbis.jpg

Pic of Bland Danielson from last night

KingofOldSchool
06-10-2008, 08:09 AM
He kind of looks like Nunzio's retarded brother...

Londoner
06-10-2008, 08:53 AM
I doubt they'll sign him...You never know though since some people would obviously push for him (Foley, HBM, etc.)

He doesn't really translate to a WWE crowd.... I don't know though. A small part of me says "Hey, Danielson might not do horrible in the WWE". An even smaller part says "Hey, maybe they wouldn't blow it." Most of me though is just screaming "OH DEAR GOD! THE FUCKING HORROR OF IT ALL!"

I dunno much about him, but i get those exact thoughts to.

Porcupine
06-10-2008, 10:51 AM
I think that WWE's handling of CM Punk shows that they are able to take an indy darling and book him well (and yes, I think Punk is being booked well despite his recent losses.) However, I dont know enough about Danielson to know if this is the case with him. Punk has tons of charisma and a ready made gimmick...if this guy is vanilla character wise, WWE might "screw him up" by giving him a silly gimmick if they do sign him.

I do think all the "OMG WWE MUST NOT SIGN HIM THEY WILL RUIN HIM" is not really applicable nowadays.

KingofOldSchool
06-10-2008, 10:53 AM
They should call him "Velocity Jobber" and all of his matches consist of jobbing to Chuck Palumbo.

Porcupine
06-10-2008, 10:56 AM
They should call him "Velocity Jobber" and all of his matches consist of jobbing to Chuck Palumbo.

Or better yet, call him "High Velocity" and have him wear a Velocity logo mask and call himself the ruler and master of WWE Velocity...only to lose...

to local jobbers.

Innovator
06-10-2008, 10:57 AM
This news makes me want to punch babies

Kane Knight
06-10-2008, 11:47 AM
I'd like to know who isn't too good for WWE. I can think of Mark Henry, Khali, BDV and Hulk Hogan.

Xero
06-10-2008, 12:32 PM
http://i26.tinypic.com/1zvzbis.jpg
"Yay."

NYDon
06-10-2008, 12:53 PM
this kid is gonna shock a lot of people when he gets over

What Would Kevin Do?
06-10-2008, 01:08 PM
I think that WWE's handling of CM Punk shows that they are able to take an indy darling and book him well (and yes, I think Punk is being booked well despite his recent losses.) However, I dont know enough about Danielson to know if this is the case with him. Punk has tons of charisma and a ready made gimmick...if this guy is vanilla character wise, WWE might "screw him up" by giving him a silly gimmick if they do sign him.

I do think all the "OMG WWE MUST NOT SIGN HIM THEY WILL RUIN HIM" is not really applicable nowadays.

CM Punk and Bryan Danielson wrestle 2 totally different styles. Bryan wrestles much more like Regal/Lance Storm/Malenko type wrestler. It's harder to get a crowd into a submission based wrestler, especially with the WWE's style being how it is.

I wouldn't say Danielson is too good for the WWE, because saying someone is too good for them is crazy. It's essentially everything a wrestler can hope for. The main reason I don't like it is because I know he wouldn't be able to put on the same quality matches in the WWE as he does now.

Indifferent Clox
06-10-2008, 01:19 PM
They'd probably name him the American Dragon and put him in a mask.

RGWhat316
06-10-2008, 03:20 PM
Hell yeah, I'd love to see Danielson head to WWE. I'd especially love it if people were chanting "you're gonna get your fn head kicked in".

need2Blove
06-10-2008, 03:52 PM
thanks for sharing dude!______________________________Someone who convinces you that there really is an unlocked door just waiting for you to wow gold (http://www.wowgolds.co.uk) open it.

Innovator
06-10-2008, 06:56 PM
Can't imagine him coming out to anything right now but The Final Countdown

Halbowsky
06-10-2008, 09:55 PM
As much as I love Danielson, he won't fit into WWE's 5 minute mat classic matches

Innovator
06-10-2008, 09:55 PM
Matt Classic?

parkmania
06-10-2008, 11:52 PM
No please, Innovator... Chavo Classic was bad enough, we don't need Mr. Hardy joining the roster.

Destor
06-10-2008, 11:58 PM
Matt CLassic is Colt Cabbana :roll:

Mr. Nerfect
06-11-2008, 12:03 AM
LOL Bland Danielson working for Titan, that would be something...

You do realise that a lot of Bryan Danielson's "blandness" is intended, don't you?

I can really see Danielson getting over. His dark match on RAW already had him wearing different tights than what he normally would wear. Danielson understands that he's going to need to show more personality in the WWE. I think the WWE would know it, too. I also don't think they would even look at Danielson if they didn't want him on their roster.

He was trained by Shawn Michaels and William Regal, two guys that Triple H really likes, so I don't think there will be much resistance against him when he shows up for work.

Gabe has addressed the situation by saying "I have no comment about everything." Truthfully, I think Gabe would have something to say on the situation if it were clear-cut. "I'm not happy with Danielson violating his contract," "This was done with ROH's knowledge," "I'll address this on such a date," etc. Maybe I'm getting my hopes up, and my Shadow helmet on, but I think that there may be more to this. A ROH/WWE working agreement, perhaps?

Mr. Nerfect
06-11-2008, 12:08 AM
They'd probably name him the American Dragon and put him in a mask.

I can actually see them doing that. It'd take some getting used to, but it'd help get rid of the everyman look.

The way some people critique Danielson is ridiculous. Those people would have been against WCW signing Chris Benoit, Dean Malenko, Lance Storm and William Regal, and the like. It's a style those guys choose to represent.

If Danielson does leave ROH, I'd expect Brent Albright to get a continued push right to the top. That man is a beast.

Indifferent Clox
06-11-2008, 12:26 AM
I'd love to see Matt Classic, CM Punk, and American Dragon form a stable. omg.

Vastardikai
06-11-2008, 01:06 AM
... Is Vince reading my posts here?

:shifty:

Destor
06-11-2008, 01:36 AM
LOOK AT MY SIGGGGGGG

Mr. Nerfect
06-12-2008, 05:53 AM
Believe it or not, as unrealistic as it would be, a stable consisting of ROH wrestlers would be awesome.

D Mac
06-12-2008, 05:58 AM
Chants "Overrated" *clap clap, clap clap clap* "over-rated"

Destor
06-12-2008, 05:58 AM
With RoH posing no realistic threat in any foreseeable future I don't see why they couldn't do something on ECW with a bunch of RoH guys...unlikely, yeah. But it could get over on a small scale.

Mr. Nerfect
06-12-2008, 06:28 AM
Especially considering how Evan Bourne seemingly has a lot of good will going for him. And how successful CM Punk has become as an attraction in the WWE. There are a lot of guys in ROH that could cross-over really well.

Mr. Nerfect
06-12-2008, 06:28 AM

If anything, I think Danielson is underrated because so many people bitch that he is overrated. Damn that big fish in a small pond, aye?

Destor
06-12-2008, 06:35 AM
Matt Classiccccc

Porcupine
06-12-2008, 10:00 AM
They should call him "Demented Danielson" and have an angle where he wins $2 from Vince and then starts haunting the arenas with...youtube videos where he rants about how the money give away is stupid, how he wants to destroy McMahon and how the WWE will implode on itself.

Super V
06-12-2008, 10:37 AM
He'd eventually get over. Bryan Danielson matches are an acquired taste but eventually he could be great.

Kane Knight
06-12-2008, 11:40 AM
He'd eventually get over. Bryan Danielson matches are an acquired taste but eventually he could be great.

The problem with that being that acquired tastes only catch on if people want to.

Mr. Nerfect
06-12-2008, 01:26 PM
The problem with that being that acquired tastes only catch on if people want to.

So it would be in the WWE's best interest to put over that taste as something worth having. Eventually people caught on with Chris Benoit. Then the guy could do no wrong...wait. He could do no wrong in a wrestling ring, at least.

Mr. Nerfect
06-12-2008, 01:28 PM
They should call him "Demented Danielson" and have an angle where he wins $2 from Vince and then starts haunting the arenas with...youtube videos where he rants about how the money give away is stupid, how he wants to destroy McMahon and how the WWE will implode on itself.

Sort of like on Scrubs how the Janitor found a penny in the door. I like it. Honestly, though, a "character" who takes Vince McMahon's money, and uses it to launch himself into a wrestling career by getting the best training available (or something), could be a great way to introduce a character.

Kane Knight
06-12-2008, 02:03 PM
So it would be in the WWE's best interest to put over that taste as something worth having. Eventually people caught on with Chris Benoit. Then the guy could do no wrong...wait. He could do no wrong in a wrestling ring, at least.

Benoit was over before he was really presented as though he should be. He wasn't particularly an acquired taste, and he managed to be a pretty versatile performer.

And they're still recovering from the last guy they tried to force our interest in.

Part of the problem here is that the casual and mainstream fans aren't going to say "Hey, let's give this guy a chance. Maybe the wrestling will grow on me." Instead, they're far more likely to say "boring." Wrestling fans, and casuals in particular, are reticent to change their opinions once they're formed, and so you've got a serious issue. Especially since WWE has trouble making people already over seem more desirable.

That doesn't mean he's bad; but especially in WWE, a hard sell is a bad investment.

KingofOldSchool
06-12-2008, 07:54 PM

But we'll save that chant for a Metallica concert...

McLegend
06-12-2008, 08:05 PM
He is a hell of a worker. Really like his matches.

Impact!
06-13-2008, 02:09 AM
If they sign Bryan Danielson he'll almost certainly become the new Jamie Noble.

Impact!
06-13-2008, 02:11 AM
Also they will probably make him have a gimmick where he's a surviving member of a Jewish family from the holocost. So when the crowd boo's him he can be all like "Stop supporting Hitler you hate mongers"

:shifty:

What Would Kevin Do?
06-13-2008, 02:30 AM
IF they signed him, I'd personally love to see him brought in with Regal as a manager... It would be Regal's loophole to get back into the WWE... Then pair him up with Burchill, Katie Lea, and misc "big man", and you'd have a good stable.

What Would Kevin Do?
06-13-2008, 05:28 PM
Jim Ross

<hr noshade="noshade" size="1"> Bryan Danielson's Dark Match: "I watched ROH’s Bryan Danielson wrestle in Oakland and I told any one who would listen that the young man is a keeper. Great work ethic, unique skills, lots of character, and he wrestles like he is a "star" which is not something all wrestlers can do. I wished Bryan good luck as I left the arena in Oakland Monday and he went back to speaking with Shawn Michaels which can’t be a bad thing for Bryan. The WWE might be well served to help subsidize the ROH as they seem to be one of the most viable entities when it comes to developing talent."

Destor
06-14-2008, 02:41 PM
hot

Nark Order
06-14-2008, 04:31 PM
Yeah, I was there. Was pretty awesome. He got a fairly monstrous pop also.

Theo Dious
06-14-2008, 07:00 PM
"I watched ROH’s Bryan Danielson wrestle in Oakland and I told any one who would listen that the young man is a keeper.

Too bad the guys from catering didn't give a rats ass.

Theo Dious
06-14-2008, 07:02 PM
Additionally, LO-fuckin-L at Ross suggesting WWE subsidize ROH. That sounds eerily close to "buy them so they can't compete with us."

The Optimist
06-14-2008, 07:03 PM
Yeah, ROH as farm league made me chuckle.

KingofOldSchool
06-14-2008, 07:38 PM
Additionally, LO-fuckin-L at Ross suggesting WWE subsidize ROH. That sounds eerily close to "buy them so they can't compete with us."

LOL Honestly, ROH can't even compete against TNA. It's more like "Hey, we've taken talent from you over the years, so we'll let you have CM Punk or Londrick one weekend."

Sorta like what they did with ECW before they closed.

The Optimist
06-14-2008, 07:50 PM
ROH is ECW. Berry intellesting.

James Steele
06-14-2008, 10:15 PM
It is not hard to get a submission wrestler over. You have him face legitimate wrestlers and make them scream in pain as they tap.

Kane Knight
06-14-2008, 10:28 PM
LOL Honestly, ROH can't even compete against TNA. It's more like "Hey, we've taken talent from you over the years, so we'll let you have CM Punk or Londrick one weekend."

Sorta like what they did with ECW before they closed.

only RoH is run by people who can balance a checkbook. Which would have been great, back when people cared about wrestling.

Halbowsky
06-15-2008, 12:05 AM
I can just imagine the next time he wrestles a dark match, there will be a small "You're gonna get your fucking head kicked in!" chant while some little kids in John Cena shirts hear this and start in with the chant

RGWhat316
06-15-2008, 12:08 AM
I can just imagine the next time he wrestles a dark match, there will be a small "You're gonna get your fucking head kicked in!" chant while some little kids in John Cena shirts hear this and start in with the chant

The Cena kids will not be chanting that. But their parents will be bitching at us for chanting.

James Steele
06-15-2008, 12:09 AM
only RoH is run by people who can balance a checkbook. Which would have been great, back when people cared about wrestling.

RoH also doesn't want to expand like ECW did. Paul wanted ECW to be the #1 company in the industry. Gabe just wants RoH to be a fancy indy-fed.

The Optimist
06-15-2008, 12:22 AM
Well, good for him. He's pretty much accomplished that. I'd wager being compared with ECW is like an indy-fed wet dream.

What Would Kevin Do?
06-15-2008, 12:23 AM
Gabe pretty much knows he can't go mainstream with ROH how it is. He's pretty happy with where ROH is, basically catering it to the fans who like that style of product.

Mr. Nerfect
06-15-2008, 01:54 AM
Benoit was over before he was really presented as though he should be. He wasn't particularly an acquired taste, and he managed to be a pretty versatile performer.

And they're still recovering from the last guy they tried to force our interest in.

Part of the problem here is that the casual and mainstream fans aren't going to say "Hey, let's give this guy a chance. Maybe the wrestling will grow on me." Instead, they're far more likely to say "boring." Wrestling fans, and casuals in particular, are reticent to change their opinions once they're formed, and so you've got a serious issue. Especially since WWE has trouble making people already over seem more desirable.

That doesn't mean he's bad; but especially in WWE, a hard sell is a bad investment.

Everything you said makes perfect sense, but who says Danielson would be a hard sell? As I said, the guy wore different tights when he worked the dark match. They were a lot more "interesting" than his burgundy ROH trunks. Attire is not the end-all, don't get me wrong, but I think that could be interpreted as a sign that Danielson knows "Bland Bryan" is not going to catch on like wild fire, and that he might need to inject a lot more character into things.

The WWE is right into MMA shit these days. Well, relatively. There are the occasional mumblings that they want more MMA-style fights, but they just don't have the guys. One of Danielson's things is that he can work that style. There is also general interest in a man that looks like a banker but then legit kicks your ass like Danielson could appear to.

I'm not saying it's a sure-thing, but I think people underrate Danielson's chances of success in the WWE.

Mr. Nerfect
06-15-2008, 01:57 AM
At the very least, Gabe will get to see a sweet DVD put out about ROH's contributions to the industry, Rise and Fall style.

Mr. Nerfect
06-15-2008, 01:59 AM
Yeah, I was there. Was pretty awesome. He got a fairly monstrous pop also.

Don't say that! Danielson can't get over because he is pasty and doesn't deliver Rock-like promos as part of his gimmick!

Jim Ross is supporting the guy (the man does still mean something to the industry), Pat Patterson seems on his side, Shawn Michaels obviously hasn't disowned him for being...not being shit enough to fit BDC's requirements of an exciting wrestler? Someone also chose to put him over. Things look pretty good for ol' AmDrag.

addy2hotty
06-15-2008, 06:15 AM
Is he ACTUALLY good then, or is he CM Punk good?

I don't want another 'best jobber with a briefcase since IRS', you see.

Destor
06-15-2008, 06:19 AM

Pure wrestling? I'd say he's alomost Dean Malenko good.

Destor
06-15-2008, 06:19 AM
BOLD STATEMENT

Destor
06-15-2008, 06:21 AM
I would like to go on the record and say once something is hyped up to you it will never live up to the standards you have in your own mind.

KingofOldSchool
06-15-2008, 08:01 AM

He's jobbertastic.

Destor
06-15-2008, 08:08 AM
Same thing the WWE did to Dean for the record.