PDA

View Full Version : Baseball: Are They Hall of Famers

Supreme Olajuwon
06-15-2008, 12:17 PM
I made this same thread a couple years ago but it's always fun to revisit the topic especially considering how much of baseball history has been altered recently.

So yeah poll coming

Supreme Olajuwon
06-15-2008, 12:30 PM
Just doing players that aren't eligible yet.

I assumed (perhaps incorrectly) that these players are locks to get in:
A-Rod
Griffey
Pudge Rodriguez
Jeter
Piazza
Manny
Alomar
Vlad
Big Unit
Maddux
Pedro
Mo Rivera
Hoffman

McLegend
06-15-2008, 12:38 PM
Gonna have to do some thinking

ct2k
06-15-2008, 01:00 PM
A lot of those I cannot make my mind up on, Mussina and Edgar Martinez in particular, both like ridiculously consistent players but don't necessarily have the 'sexy' facts and stats which matter in some people's minds. Others I don't know what to think purely because of the steroid speculation.

Loose Cannon
06-15-2008, 01:21 PM
I didn't think Mussina was HOF eathier until I just looked at his stats and holy shit, I didn't know he had that good numbers overall. He played for the mediocre O's for half his career and he put of good-great numbers. .637% over 18 years is good enough for me. For those who picked Schilling and didn't pick Mussina, I dunno, I would look at the numbers.

Edgar to me has been like the Ted Williams of our generation. Probably to much, I know, but he was one of the best and most dependable hitter I've ever seen.

Larkin is kind of on the bubble for me, but the guy was a fantastic shortstop and played his whole career with the same team. gotta love that.

I picked Helton cause his numbers are easily HOF caliber numbers, but give him 6 more years first

Posada didn't have the numbers I thought he did. Average player at best, even for catchers.

Bernie, no chance.

Jesus Shuttlesworth
06-15-2008, 04:39 PM
I just did it off the top of my head without really looking at numbers or anything...I'm surprised I am the only one who has voted for Jeff Kent thus far, hasn't he had an extremely productive career?

Loose Cannon
06-15-2008, 04:51 PM
I checked everyone's numbers before. Yea, I would of probably voted like you just by looking at it. I checkec Kent's and I was going to vote him, but his numbers are pretty average to me. He might have a chance being a 2B though.

McLegend
06-15-2008, 06:06 PM
I meant to vote for Jeff Kent.

The Genius
06-15-2008, 06:20 PM
i wish the crime dog could have come back for one more season to reach 500 hr.

Jeritron
06-20-2008, 09:06 PM
I think Frank Thomas is a lock.

I voted for Thomas, Glavine, Biggio, Schilling, Smoltz and Thome
They're pretty close to locks as well
Thomas and Biggio are locks because they have 500 hrs and 3000 hits respectively. Being a member of one of those clubs is an automatic first ballot unless you're caught up in contreversy like McGwire. Neither of them are.

Glavine and Schilling are first ballot HOFers IMO too. Their numbers support it, and I think Schilling gets that postseason performance edge that helps make the decision easier.
Smoltz has excelled and is HOF quality as both a starter and reliever, so he's in.
Thome is a 500hr member, so he's in.

Those are the definites on the list, not AS much of locks as those you listed in the first post, but 99% locks nonetheless I'd say.

A few others on your list, like Bagwell and McGriff are highly possible. The others are possible, but a bit more shaky. Theres probably a handful of late ballots on there.

Loose Cannon
06-21-2008, 08:50 PM
still not sold on Schilling. His numbers are really not that impressive when you look at other HOF's. Definately not a 1st ballot guy. Take a look at this. Below are the numbers of Curt Schilling and another MLB pitcher who played roughly during Schilling's era. This guy also had tremendous Post season stats and most likely will not make the HOF

Year Ag Tm Lg W L G GS CG SHO GF SV IP H R ER HR BB SO

20 Yr WL% .597 216 146 569 436 83 20 81 22 3261.0 2998 1318 1253 347 711 3116

18 Yr WL% .577 254 186 549 527 175 28 10 0 3824.0 3567 1815 1657 389 1390 2478

Jesus Shuttlesworth
06-22-2008, 12:59 AM
Those stats are so hard to read lol...who are you comparing him to? I'll look at it myself

Loose Cannon
06-22-2008, 07:50 AM
yea, it came out weird when I posted it. the 2nd one is Jack Morris from the Twins

Jeritron
06-22-2008, 11:40 AM
Yea but Curt Schilling is the greatest postseason pitcher of all time. Not many in baseball will argue that either

Supreme Olajuwon
06-22-2008, 12:42 PM
Schilling is not a first ballot guy IMO. If Blyleven can't even get in when all of his #s are better than Schilling's, there's no way Schilling gets in first try.

Jeritron
06-22-2008, 02:40 PM
It's a lot about legacy though. Ozzie Smith didn't have great numbers in anything but fielding. The "fame" comes into play when it comes to the Hall of Fame. He's high profile
Schilling has a legacy, from playing with the Red Sox and winning that world series, as well as his world series with the Diamondbacks.
The bloody sock game, his 3 starts in the 2001 world series and his uncanny post season performances/numbers are huge in determining things.

I agree he may not go first ballot, depending on whos up when he's up. But he'll more than likely go in

FakeLaser
06-22-2008, 02:59 PM
Frank Thomas is a lock.

Craig Biggio is a lock.

Chipper will get in but I dunno about 1st ballot.

Todd Helton has great numbers but I think writers will look at them as Coors inflated and he won't get in. Same goes for Larry Walker.

Bagwell should be a 1st balloter, IMO.

Sheffield has great numbers but he's kind of a stat collector with a long career. Also, the media and pretty much everyone hates him so I doubt he gets in.

Jim Thome... I didn't vote for him but on second thought, he will probably get in. Over 500 HR and counting, plus he's a really nice guy and the media likes him. That'll help him a lot.

I love Bernie Williams but he isn't a HOFer. Will have his number retired by the Yankees though.

Edgar Martinez should be a hall of famer because he's the best DH of all time. That should be enough.

Kent's numbers are amazing for a second baseman so he gets in.

Juan Gonzalez is a tool. He won't get in.

Barry Larkin... I dunno. He's comparable to Jeter, sort of, but not as high profile, plus Jeter will end his career with at least 700 more hits than him, so I dunno. I say no.

Galaraga has no chance.

Vizquel was a great fielder but that's it. He wasn't flashy like Ozzie Smith, nor does he have the personality so I don't think it'll be enough to get him in. He probably should be in though.

Delgado... yeah right

Same goes for the crime dog, Lofton, Olerud, Anderson, Wagner, Moyer and David Wells... no chance

I love Jorge Posada but I doubt he gets in unless he has a few more absolutely sick years like he did last year. Should have his number retired though.

Glavine and Smoltz are first ballot. There's a chance both of them and Maddux retire this year and they'll all go in together.

Fuck Curt Schilling

I voted for Mussina though it might be a bit of a sentimental pick. He always JUST misses out on everything, never won 20 games, never pitched a no hitter, never won a Cy Young, never won a World Series, etc. I hope he makes it to 300 wins, he's showing that he's still got it this year. I think the Yanks might bring him back on a one year deal or something... he could end up with 285 wins or so if he comes back next year... then who knows, he might be able to go another year or 2 after that.

Pettitte had a lot of great years but it doesn't add up to a HOF career.

Boomer
06-22-2008, 08:02 PM
Yea but Curt Schilling is the greatest postseason pitcher of all time. Not many in baseball will argue that either

A lot of people would argue that John Smoltz is the greatest postseason pitcher of all time.

Hanso Amore
06-24-2008, 02:10 PM
I would take Smoltz over Schilling. Smoltz has amazing numbers, and he spent a few years as the best closer in baseball, which hurt his stellar wins total.

Thomas is a lock. The guy was an offensive Juggernaut. In the mid 90s he was the most dominant hitter in all baseball.

Alot of voters look at numbers, but they know numbers dont always tell the story. Mussina has great numbers, but honestly, his stuff isnt all time great. If Blyleven was on the teams Moose was, he would have 40 more wins at least.

Gammons always looks for a period of dominance, where they were the best. Gold Gloves count alot too. Vizquel is the best defensive SS ever IMHO, so if he doesnt go in, its BS.

Helton's numbers are inflated a bit, but his away stats are still impressive, so I think if he keeps playing 8 more years he will be borderline.

Sheffield wont make it. He was consistent, but he was never a top guy, plus he did roids.

I think Mcgriff should get considered, but he wont make it. I loved the Crime Dog.

Edgar shouldnt go in. I liked him, but I hate the DH rule, and not playing the field should hurt him. According to Baseball Reference, his stats are similar to the following.
# Will Clark (902)
# John Olerud (885)
# Moises Alou (876)
# Bernie Williams (860)
# Bob Johnson (857)
# Paul O'Neill (852)
# Ellis Burks (850)
# Orlando Cepeda (840) *
# Larry Walker (837)
# Shawn Green (831)

Would you vote for any of them? Now take away these guys fielding, would you vote now?

Hanso Amore
06-24-2008, 02:12 PM
I would take Smoltz over Schilling. Smoltz has amazing numbers, and he spent a few years as the best closer in baseball, which hurt his stellar wins total.

Thomas is a lock. The guy was an offensive Juggernaut. In the mid 90s he was the most dominant hitter in all baseball.

Alot of voters look at numbers, but they know numbers dont always tell the story. Mussina has great numbers, but honestly, his stuff isnt all time great. If Blyleven was on the teams Moose was, he would have 40 more wins at least.

Gammons always looks for a period of dominance, where they were the best. Gold Gloves count alot too. Vizquel is the best defensive SS ever IMHO, so if he doesnt go in, its BS.

Helton's numbers are inflated a bit, but his away stats are still impressive, so I think if he keeps playing 8 more years he will be borderline.

Sheffield wont make it. He was consistent, but he was never a top guy, plus he did roids.

I think Mcgriff should get considered, but he wont make it. I loved the Crime Dog.

Edgar shouldnt go in. I liked him, but I hate the DH rule, and not playing the field should hurt him. According to Baseball Reference, his stats are similar to the following.
# Will Clark (902)
# John Olerud (885)
# Moises Alou (876)
# Bernie Williams (860)
# Bob Johnson (857)
# Paul O'Neill (852)
# Ellis Burks (850)
# Orlando Cepeda (840) *
# Larry Walker (837)
# Shawn Green (831)

Would you vote for any of them? Now take away these guys fielding, would you vote now?

Hanso Amore
06-24-2008, 02:18 PM
Jeff Kent is the best offensive 2B ever. 8 years over 100 RBIs and his MVPs should get him in. if he was any other position he wouldn't make it, but when you compare him to his peers at 2B, he stands out.

Loose Cannon
06-24-2008, 02:23 PM
Rogers Hornsby called and said you're fucking crazy

Hanso Amore
06-24-2008, 02:25 PM
To Make a case for frime dog, check out his comparable stats players.

1. Willie McCovey (887) *
2. Gary Sheffield (885)
3. Willie Stargell (875) *
4. Jeff Bagwell (865)
5. Frank Thomas (857)
6. Billy Williams (851) *
7. Andres Galarraga (850)
8. Eddie Mathews (827) *
9. Ernie Banks (819) *
10. Jim Thome (819)

Pretty Damn impressive list.

Hanso Amore
06-24-2008, 02:28 PM
To Make a case for frime dog, check out his comparable stats players.

1. Willie McCovey (887) *
2. Gary Sheffield (885)
3. Willie Stargell (875) *
4. Jeff Bagwell (865)
5. Frank Thomas (857)
6. Billy Williams (851) *
7. Andres Galarraga (850)
8. Eddie Mathews (827) *
9. Ernie Banks (819) *
10. Jim Thome (819)

Pretty Damn impressive list.

VonErichLives
06-26-2008, 12:51 PM
I think a lot of that list will get in, but not on the first ballot.

I think Pudge may get the "Mark McGuire" treatment since most of his "product years" he appeared to be on the juice.