PDA

View Full Version : Bringing back ECW

HHHsucks929
03-17-2004, 07:41 PM
What does everyone thyink about this idea? It's been broguht up on the internet that it's in consideration. I think it would be sick if this is what they did:

First off, get rid of Sunday Night Heat. Change Heat to ECW. WWE presents Extrem Championship Wrestling or soemthing like that could be the name. Make Paul Heyman the "General Manager" or chairperson or whatever title you wanna give him. Put former ECW stars on it like the Dudley Boyz, Rob Van Dam, Lance Storm, Tommy Dreamer, Tajiri, Rhyno, Spike Dudley, Nunzio, hell maybe even Tazz, and then throw in some other large-caliber stars to give it some more crediblity. Let Coach and Al Snow continue to announce as they do on Heat and give them an hour show each week. The thing I would also like is to air it before Raw on Monday nights at 8, to it can be live. Obviously bring back the traditional extreme matches they were famous for, and give them a title. Make the pre-show for PPVs the Free for All on TNN and make ECW stars part of the PPV so they can have a full three-hour show without any big holes. I'd sure tune in, I don't know about everyone else...

Loose Cannon
03-17-2004, 07:45 PM
If they were to do something like this they eathier go all the way with it or don't do it at all. They have to make it very similar to what ECW was back in the day and not try to do a shitty watered down version of it.

loopydate
03-17-2004, 07:53 PM
If they were to do something like this they eathier go all the way with it or don't do it at all. They have to make it very similar to what ECW was back in the day and not try to do a shitty watered down version of it.

The best thing they could possibly do is give Paul Heyman a sum of money and let him spend it on whatever indy talent he wants, with the catch that he now has to book his own arenas.

He can have all the old ECW regulars (not counting guys like Benoit and Guerrero, obviously), and a handful of the Velocity/HeAt guys that he thinks he can do something with.

Other than that, he's on his own.

The CyNick
03-17-2004, 07:54 PM
I dont think it would work

Ive said this a million times, btu I dont think the ECW fanbase that existed would support an ECW product that was owned buy the WWE. The illusion that ECW was fighting against these two corporate giants is what really gave it its appeal. Under the WWE umbrella that appeal would be gone.

In terms of logistics, they would have to add another day of tapings, which is an extra cost that they dont need at this point.

Also, in terms of workers, a lot fo the guys who would make up the ECW roster could be used to fill out the depleted RAW and SD rosters. I dont think they have enough stars to fill up three different rosters.

Then there is the deal about PPVs, which I dont think would work. At its peak, ECW only drew a 1.0 rating on cable, and I dont think thats a large enough audience to sufficiently sell PPVs.

A better idea might be to take all the ECW guys, put them on one show, and make them a rogue faction that fueds with the other guys on the show. I know thats kinda NWO-ish, but I think a group led by Heyman could do soem good business.

Loose Cannon
03-17-2004, 08:05 PM
A better idea might be to take all the ECW guys, put them on one show, and make them a rogue faction that fueds with the other guys on the show. I know thats kinda NWO-ish, but I think a group led by Heyman could do soem good business.

Yeah, they had GOLD with this three years ago and they totally fk'ed it up by merging with the WCW stable.

HHHsucks929
03-17-2004, 08:21 PM
I dont think it would work

Ive said this a million times, btu I dont think the ECW fanbase that existed would support an ECW product that was owned buy the WWE. The illusion that ECW was fighting against these two corporate giants is what really gave it its appeal. Under the WWE umbrella that appeal would be gone.

In terms of logistics, they would have to add another day of tapings, which is an extra cost that they dont need at this point.

Also, in terms of workers, a lot fo the guys who would make up the ECW roster could be used to fill out the depleted RAW and SD rosters. I dont think they have enough stars to fill up three different rosters.

Then there is the deal about PPVs, which I dont think would work. At its peak, ECW only drew a 1.0 rating on cable, and I dont think thats a large enough audience to sufficiently sell PPVs.

I never said they should ahve their own complete separate show. I think the ECW brand would travel with the Raw brand, and the way I would want it is for it to either tape like HEat and air on the weekend or air at 8pm Monday night, before Raw. I think it would be guaranteed to pull in better ratings than Heat. There's plenty of guys that aren't regularly used on Raw whop could be used and noticed on ECW TV. And if I'm not mistaken ECW was on the air msotly in the middle of the night in the country, so if it were given a prime-time spot on Monday it would be a definite boost in ratings.

What Would Kevin Do?
03-17-2004, 09:32 PM
I forget who said it, but why not just give OVW an hour show each week. Hell, send Heyman over their. They could "demote" him in an angle, and he could run the feeder fed. He builds up who he wants, and eventually sends them over to WWE to do his bidding. Heyman sort of attacking WWE talent with his own group of rookies... Eh?

rottednation
03-17-2004, 09:40 PM
This is something that i have been wanting to see for a very long time, but I think that it would be a hit right off the bat. I mean, there are a handful of superstars I'd love to see, like Steve Corino, Sandman, New Jack, and the Baldies, but they ran off and signed contracts with XPW, and other indie feds. It sounds great to bring back ECW, but to make it original, it'll take a long time to convince the old stars to come back... ..that's what sucks.

By the way, STEVE CORINO was the ultimate superstar of ECW. I think so...

Blitz
03-17-2004, 09:48 PM
Let Coach and Al Snow continue to announce as they do on Heat

I was right with you until this. They'd have to have Joey Styles and either Joel Gertner or Cyrus. Also, a later time slot so it can be a little more extreme.

Kane Knight
03-17-2004, 09:57 PM
for the last time...

ECW is dead
WCW is dead
DX is dead
the Four Horsemen are dead
NWO is dead

these things decrease with each new incarnation. WWE should try thinking up some new angles for a change. To be honest the only angle I'd like to see Paul E bring back is the Dangerous Alliance. And that's dead too.

HHHsucks929
03-17-2004, 10:03 PM
I was right with you until this. They'd have to have Joey Styles and either Joel Gertner or Cyrus. Also, a later time slot so it can be a little more extreme.

I only went wiht Coach and Al Snow because I'm assumign they can't pick up Joey Styles. if they could, I'd say DO IT in a second. After all, what's ECW without Joey Styles?

Also, I think if it were to be later it would have to be AFTER Raw. I'm all for being before or after a major show so most fans, including me, will stay tuned in. Fans aren't likely to tune in on a random night just to see ECW, as sad as that may saound. It ain't working with Heat and Velocity.

Here's another proposal I have, inspired by "What Would Kevin Do?" Devote Veolcity mainly to OVW talent. Maybe to keep viewers tuned in they'd have to have a high-profile match, but you could broadcast that before or Smackdown! on Thursday. This would leave Saturday and Sunday open to move Afterburn and that other show (forgot the name) to move out of syndication and move into Saturday and Sunday, preferably in the morning, creating a Livewire/Superstars-like feel. These shows I would like to show footage that happened after shows went off the air, which might be interesting for viewers.

Corkscrewed
03-17-2004, 11:47 PM
They can hardly make two brands look separate. Three brands would kill their already anemic writing team.

wheresmaven
03-18-2004, 08:47 PM
I'd love to see ECW back, but remember that Smackdown and Raw have been watching everything they do because the FCC is ****ing insane.
ECW just wouldn't be the same. Though, I DO miss the hardcore matches... they really should bring that belt back. Why they decided to merge it with the IC title is beyond me...

Gertner
03-19-2004, 05:00 PM
What does everyone thyink about this idea? It's been broguht up on the internet that it's in consideration. I think it would be sick if this is what they did:

First off, get rid of Sunday Night Heat. Change Heat to ECW. WWE presents Extrem Championship Wrestling or soemthing like that could be the name. Make Paul Heyman the "General Manager" or chairperson or whatever title you wanna give him. Put former ECW stars on it like the Dudley Boyz, Rob Van Dam, Lance Storm, Tommy Dreamer, Tajiri, Rhyno, Spike Dudley, Nunzio, hell maybe even Tazz, and then throw in some other large-caliber stars to give it some more crediblity. Let Coach and Al Snow continue to announce as they do on Heat and give them an hour show each week. The thing I would also like is to air it before Raw on Monday nights at 8, to it can be live. Obviously bring back the traditional extreme matches they were famous for, and give them a title. Make the pre-show for PPVs the Free for All on TNN and make ECW stars part of the PPV so they can have a full three-hour show without any big holes. I'd sure tune in, I don't know about everyone else...

no

Mister Sinister
03-19-2004, 05:22 PM
ECW could come back, but everyone is missing the thing that really made ECW so Great. It wasn't just Extreme Matches that involve Cheese Grinders, among other things, but the thing that made it great in my mind, was the Workrate, I mean if you get Wrestlers, who have a great Work Rate and let them go all out, it could work, but of course, the most common WWE fans, would think that it sucks, since Vince knows, nobody wants to see 10 minute matches that are fast pace with counters and amazing reversals

/sarcism

But I still would rather not have WWE bring back ECW, because knowing the WWE, it would be a very watered down version of ECW and would kill any credability ECW has left after the whole Invasion...

HHHsucks929
03-19-2004, 05:39 PM
ECW could come back, but everyone is missing the thing that really made ECW so Great. It wasn't just Extreme Matches that involve Cheese Grinders, among other things, but the thing that made it great in my mind, was the Workrate, I mean if you get Wrestlers, who have a great Work Rate and let them go all out, it could work, but of course, the most common WWE fans, would think that it sucks, since Vince knows, nobody wants to see 10 minute matches that are fast pace with counters and amazing reversals

/sarcism

But I still would rather not have WWE bring back ECW, because knowing the WWE, it would be a very watered down version of ECW and would kill any credability ECW has left after the whole Invasion...

Even if it is watered down, it would still be better than the crap they're putting out every Sunday.

tucsonspeed6
03-20-2004, 02:18 PM
ECW at its best may have only gotten a 1.0 rating, but there are a lot of people out there who <I>think</I> that they were or are ECW fans even though they've never seen a match. My best friend is one of them. He starts chanting ECW any time the crowd chants it and I just look at him like he's a dumbass. If they brought it back, a lot more people would watch, and it'd get a LOT better ratings than Heat or any of the other 600 recap shows that the WWE has.

CBright7831
03-20-2004, 02:28 PM
Bringing back ECW is stupid as a whole.

HHHsucks929
03-20-2004, 11:28 PM
I don't get why people think it's so stupid, it would pretty much be guaranteed to be more successful than Heat nd/or Velocity.