PDA

View Full Version : Sins of a Solar Empire

Requiem
06-26-2008, 09:52 PM
Holy crap this game is fun. It's a space-based RTS, and the scale is absolutely huge. The maps range from just a few planets, to over a hundred in multiple solar systems.

The micro-management is insane, and it is one of the most difficult RTS's I've ever played. You will have hundreds of ships to manage in multiple fleets, dozens of planets to manage.. so good. Not only that, but it looks good. You can zoom all the way in on a huge fleet war and watch it all happen.

DS and I have been addicted like crazy.. we're in the middle of a 50-some planet game against 4 computer people and we played for about 3 hours and had to save and take a break because we weren't even close to victory.

The game takes a while to get the hang of and learn good tactics on defending and attacking, but man it is worth every bit of it.

Edit: PC, by the way

Mercury Bullet
06-26-2008, 10:09 PM
It's pretty fun but there is almost too much micromanagement. When you have a big game going it can get VERY overwhelming to try and keep up with everything.

Requiem
06-26-2008, 10:15 PM
I dunno. I am doing pretty well at paying attention. Once you get a lot of your places to a certain point you can pretty much ignore them. I only focus on maybe 5 of my planets, and that's because they are constantly under attack due to some being at choke points and the others being new. I have 3 huge fleets and a number of smaller ones and am pretty good at tossing them back and forth where I need them.

I tend to just minimize what I don't need to look at on the left side and leave them alone unless something is happening with them. I thought the same though when I first started playing.. I was so overwhelmed that I had no idea what was going on half the time. People would start attacking me and I'd get raped in no time and be unable to recover. After getting the hang of what to do and what not to do though, it goes much smoother.

Mercury Bullet
06-26-2008, 10:24 PM
Yeh I found the best way for me to get buy was to start out slowly and just stick to about two planets and keep them heavily defended until I got the hang of out to expand more efficiently.

LoDownM
06-26-2008, 10:31 PM
It's pretty bad ass, gets boring rather fast imo.

I was doing a map once that had 5 stars, took over all the planets in the one I started in, parked all my ships by the sun since it didn't have a wormhole. Fell asleep for 2 hours came back and had 50,000 of every resource and only lost 1 ship.

Requiem
06-27-2008, 12:12 AM
I could see it getting kinda boring playing by yourself. But playing with another person against several teams of computer opponents is pretty intense so far. We were doing amazing, and then suddenly I started getting ganged up on by 3 people at once.. ended up destroying half my planets and taking them over.. was getting so frustrated, but I managed to end up in another solar system where only one other person is at the moment, and I'm rebuilding my empire up there. Already got some planets built back up and my fleet is demolishing the other guy up there.

El Fangel
06-27-2008, 12:56 AM
Once I get this all on the DL, I will hook up that Hamachi, and come along for the ride, you up for it mang?