PDA

View Full Version : Watching the Rock DVD...

Team Sheep
07-01-2008, 12:11 PM
Why are most of the matches on Disc 1 pretty crappy? One that stands out is the Owen Hart match, it's awful and I have no idea why it belongs on this DVD. It's a few minutes long and ends with a run in from Chyna and Owen wins by DQ after a bat to the back :wtf:

All I've watched is the first disc so far, and some of it seems a bit wasteful. Why do we have that when we could have had the Rock v Mankind match from the Rumble 1999 amongst other things. There's also quite a lot of very short Raw matches.

Sorry just had to say that. Discs 2 and 3 look awesome.

Loose Cannon
07-01-2008, 12:15 PM
because how many times have people seen the Rock vs Mankind match?

there's your answer

Team Sheep
07-01-2008, 12:25 PM
They could have put the Rumble 2000 match in there (the first disc ended after about 2 hours and 20 mins so they could squeeze it on), the Wrestlemania 2000 fatal 4 way main event which is a great match IMO which is totally forgotten about and that Wrestlemania has been tip ex'd out of WWE history it seems.

Also there's his iron man match with Trips, the King of the Ring 2000 6 man tag, Summerslam triple threat from 2000, etc. They shouldn't have wasted so much time and space on little Raw matches and they could have put more great matches from his first real title run in 2000. I'm not saying put all of those in, just giving examples.

NeanderCarl
07-01-2008, 07:30 PM
that Wrestlemania (2000) has been tip ex'd out of WWE history it seems.

Good. Considering it was the biggest show during arguably the WWF's creative prime, WM2000 (or TagTeamMania, featuring only ONE singles match- the women's title, and that was virtually a tag match anyway) was a huuuuuge disappointment.

The match should always have been Triple H vs The Rock. Adding The Big Show was a colossal mistake, and Mick Foley lost a lot of goodwill coming out of retirement just a few weeks after swearing he was genuinely retired for good. Triple H vs Rock was the BIG match, the top possible attraction, with three years of history attached. Also would have been a great match, with both in their prime at the time. The involvement of the McMahons, Show and Foley ruined it.

Pardeep 619
07-01-2008, 07:54 PM
It's understandable as to why it wasn't HHH vs Rock in a singles match. Considering that match back in 1999/2000 is probably the current day equivalent of Edge/Batista (in the way in which it has been done like a dozen times) and so the aura of having it at the biggest stage (with little build up) would have been pointless.

NeanderCarl
07-01-2008, 07:58 PM
But their singles match at Backlash a couple of weeks later did a monster buy rate.

They hadn't had a major one-on-one match during their then-current incarnations, with Triple H as the powerful heel champion, and most of their previous encounters had been gimmick/heavily-storylined matches.

Pardeep 619
07-02-2008, 07:17 AM
But their singles match at Backlash a couple of weeks later did a monster buy rate.

They hadn't had a major one-on-one match during their then-current incarnations, with Triple H as the powerful heel champion, and most of their previous encounters had been gimmick/heavily-storylined matches.

Yeah I know. I absolutely love their Backlash match as well. To this day I can still watch it and enjoy it. However the build-up to that match was excellent because of the swerve at Wrestlemania and the time given afterwards to build it. Also this was a heavily-storylined match with the Mcmahons, Austin, the Stooges, Hebner etc getting involved

Theo Dious
07-02-2008, 07:29 AM
The brightest point of WM2000 was the Eurocontinental Triple Threat. The tag tam ladder match comes in secondish, and I'm not entirely sure that the hardcore battle royal doesn't outdo the main event. Sad.

Team Sheep
07-02-2008, 07:43 AM
Wrestlemania 2000 will never be up there by any means, but I still thought it was a pretty decent show. It gave us the birth of the Hardys/E&C/Dudleys feud (and someone please tell me why that match isn't on the ladder match DVD!!), the Eurocontinental title which was really interesting, and the very unique hardcore battle royal.

What brought it down was the number of low key, seemingly pointless tag team matches (Bossman & Bull Buchanan vs Godfather & D'Lo, Too Cool & Chyna vs The Radicalz, Rikishi & Kane vs Road Dogg & X-Pac), and the lack of a singles match really :$

I thought the main event was great though, and for the most part it was just Triple H and The Rock, as Show and Foley got eliminated quite early on.

GD
07-02-2008, 08:25 AM
I actually had missed the Rock and Mankind rivalry so I liked it. The only thing that pissed me off was the way they tried to completely wipe out the existence of the attitude era scratch logo.

Fox
07-02-2008, 01:01 PM
WM2000 was awesome because before the show they had that "WrestleMania All Day Long" thing where Cole and Ivory hosted recaps of all the Wrestlemanias prior. It was a fun day for me as a 13 year old kid and I still have those videos on VHS.

The show sucked though. I tried so hard to get into things but god damn was it difficult. The only good matches were the Tag Titles Ladder match and the IC/Euro Title, as well as the main event, which I felt was a great contest despite Foley's botched elbow drop on the table.

The ending really put a damper on what was already a shitty evening though. Heels don't leave WrestleMania with the World Title - it's like a rule. I guess Triple H had to be the first one to do it, and that screwjob shit at the end with Stephanie, Vince and Hunter standing strong was fucking dumb. It wasn't "shocking" to see Vince turn evil because he'd been evil for so long before.

Triple H vs. The Rock vs. Cactus Jack probably should have been the main event, with Foley winning the WWF Title as Cactus Jack at No Way Out the month before. That would have been a much better storyline than "Four Corners - Four McMahons."

Disturbed316
07-28-2008, 04:33 PM
Got this today, slightly disappointed that Rocky didn't have any imput in this. That deep husky voice man is rather annoying.

Mayo
07-28-2008, 06:47 PM
Got this today, slightly disappointed that Rocky didn't have any imput in this. That deep husky voice man is rather annoying.
what?

Team Sheep
07-28-2008, 07:48 PM
The narrator on the DVD.