PDA

View Full Version : Is it a "reboot"?

Xero
07-01-2008, 12:45 PM
After watching last night's RAW, I don't know what it was but it seemed different. Aside from Punk winning the title, the overall show seemed more watchable than it has been for months. I actually watched about an hour's worth (which is saying something since I normally don't watch more than 10-15 minutes).

I think WWE is going for a sort of "reboot". Things seem a bit more fresh now, but it's hard to put my finger on why.

I also watched SmackDown! for the first time in a LONG while last week and it seemed good as well. I suppose the draft did something good for once.

So is it just me or does it feel that WWE has begun a reboot phase?

Jeritron
07-01-2008, 12:48 PM
I expressed my theory on this in the Punk title win thread.

I think the WWE is turning the corner in terms of accepting the present. Doesn't mean it's gonna be great, but by accepting the new era and going all the way with it instead of keeping aspects of the attitude era while cutting others out, you get a lopsided and declinging product.
A completely new overhaul and direction, which they're 2 weeks into, is a step in the right direction. We'll see how long it lasts

The Mackem
07-01-2008, 01:45 PM
The draft was obviously the opportune moment in time to make changes and it appears that they are running with it. Whether it's successful or not, at least they seem to be trying.

BigDaddyCool
07-01-2008, 01:59 PM
When ever I hear/read reboot, I think http://www.stuffwelike.com/stuffwelike/wp-content/uploads/2007/07/reboot.jpg

And Raw was not that.

As far as Raw being different, it was. The key difference is the lack of Vince McMahon. That always makes Raw better. I missed the first 3 minutes, which I assume was Shane adressing the Vince issue, and besides a few remarks here and there, that was it with Vince.

Another minor difference was that it was heels v faces instead of faces v faces. It was JR addressing the OK crowd, he was clearly a face, then he was interupted by Edge who is clearly a heel. Edge got beat up by Batista, clearly a face, and then his title was stolen from him by CM Punk, clearly a face. Jillian came out as a heel and had a match against a clearly face Mickey James. And the trend continued. Face v Heels all night. WWE has done way too much Face v Face crap lately. So it makes it easier to cheer and boo which is what wrestling crowds like to do. The face v face only works when it is done rarely and both faces are super over. Such as Hogan v Warrior.

Also, they managed to keep Cena and Batista out of a title match for at least a night. They booth seemingly have an infinite amount of title shot and it gets annoying. It did piss me off when Cena came out and was trying to get into the title match that night when the night before he lost a title match clean in the middle of the ring. That means he should go to the end of the line. Batista got cheated out of the title, and has a slightly better case for challenging Punk, but luckly he didn't even come back out.

Hanso Amore
07-01-2008, 03:12 PM
I enjoy the fact that without Vince Raw is a free for all.....its like a bunch of warlords fighting for turf. This needs to continue.

Theo Dious
07-02-2008, 01:48 PM
Yeah, JBL seizing control in Vince's abscence certainly made things different. In fact, the lack of any eeeeeeeevil authority figure was probably majorly responsible.

BigDaddyCool
07-02-2008, 01:58 PM
Yeah, JBL isn't evil, he is a jerk that thinks he should get everything. But not evil.

The Optimist
07-02-2008, 04:20 PM
Lol. He claims that he's a god and that he's intrinsically better than everyone and anyone else. If he's not evil, someone's not doing their job.

Fox
07-02-2008, 09:32 PM
CM Punk as champ, Chris Jericho as a heel, and no Vince or Triple H makes for a great RAW.

screech
07-03-2008, 01:59 PM
No Vince or Trips, Punk becoming champion, Cena out of the title picture, heel Jericho, and, as someone in another thread put it, "the new Nation" (Cena and Cryme Time).

Yup, this is definitely a step in the right direction.

Mr. Nerfect
07-05-2008, 12:14 AM
One thing that people did not mention was Jamie Noble. That guy makes everything better. It doesn't appear that he does anything, but make no mistake about it, that show was blessed by the spirit of Jamie Noble, boy.

It seems the WWE are building towards a Chris Jericho and Lance Cade vs. Shawn Michaels and Kofi Kingston feud. I think the WWE are actually going to try and make stars out of Cade and Kingston, which is good. CM Punk became a top priority in the WWE on RAW, which was refreshing, as well.

To be honest, I think the most exciting program the WWE could come up with for RAW, right now, would be CM Punk being turned on by John Cena, with the two then feuding over the World Heavyweight Championship. Man, that would be incredible.

Fox
07-06-2008, 01:15 PM
Jamie Noble does not make everything better. Stop it.

Londoner
07-06-2008, 01:19 PM
I bet Noids thinking Noble should become world heavyweight champion!

St. Jimmy
07-06-2008, 01:28 PM

Agreed

Ruien
07-06-2008, 02:06 PM

Maybe not, but his stuff with Kane was hilarious.

TerranRich
07-06-2008, 10:55 PM
Heh, Noid and his usual midcarder worship. :p

I loved Raw this past Monday. Everything they did was right, including getting rid of Cena...except of course he had to come in to save the day like he always does. SuperCena can't stay away for TOO long, now.

But the lack of Triple made RAW so much better. And, strangely enough, Triple H on Smackdown made Smackdown interesting to watch, especially his oddly comical chumminess with MVP at the beginning.

Mr. Nerfect
07-06-2008, 11:05 PM

Wow, if you thought I was being serious, you are a dead-set moron.

The subtext was that Jamie Noble is damn good, and entertaining to watch, which he is.

TerranRich
07-06-2008, 11:39 PM
I think people have come to expect your midcarer comments to be serious from now on. At least I got it.

Fox
07-07-2008, 01:49 AM
Wow, if you thought I was being serious, you are a dead-set moron.

The subtext was that Jamie Noble is damn good, and entertaining to watch, which he is.

Search for "Val Venis + Doug Basham + World Champion" and you'll pull up a shitload of Noid posts.

Excuse me for not being able to read both sides of the fine line of your obviously divine wit.

Y2Ant
07-07-2008, 06:36 AM
When ever I hear/read reboot, I think http://www.stuffwelike.com/stuffwelike/wp-content/uploads/2007/07/reboot.jpg

:love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love:

BigDaddyCool
07-07-2008, 09:15 AM
Noble is funny, but he isn't anything great.

TerranRich
07-09-2008, 12:01 AM
You kidding? Noble feeds his kids shrimp scampi. Jamie Noble is a son of a bitch!

He once showed me a video of him making love to my wife, and it was the most beautiful thing I ever saw.