PDA

View Full Version : 10 years ago today...

PullMyFinger
07-06-2008, 08:53 PM
Hogan vs. Goldberg, WCW Monday Nitro, for the WCW World Heavyweight Championship.

Time really flies...I definitely remember being a middle school wanker and watching it. I really miss the Monday Night Wars, and on top of that, I really miss WCW Monday Nitro during 96-98 in its peak. I honestly have to say that no wrestling program till this day has been better. Nitro made every Monday Night feel like a PPV Event.

SammyG
07-06-2008, 08:54 PM
Such an amazing Nitro. Hell, I even remember him having to beat Hall earlier in the night for a chance at Hogan.

Destor
07-06-2008, 08:59 PM
Hogan vs. Goldberg, WCW Monday Nitro, for the WCW World Heavyweight Championship.

Time really flies...I definitely remember being a middle school wanker and watching it. I really miss the Monday Night Wars, and on top of that, I really miss WCW Monday Nitro during 96-98 in its peak. I honestly have to say that no wrestling program till this day has been better. Nitro made every Monday Night feel like a PPV Event.
1) It's true, but there actual PPVs were rubbish
2) Thats the reaosn modern wrestling suffers. Too much is given away on free TV.

Loose Cannon
07-06-2008, 09:05 PM
yea, great show. I was like 15 at the time. The whole atmosphere was incredible. From a business standpoint rhough, that needed to be on ppv

Juan
07-06-2008, 09:25 PM
It was alright.

SammyG
07-06-2008, 09:33 PM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ML4pef0K2bY&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ML4pef0K2bY&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Halbowsky
07-06-2008, 09:36 PM
Damn, I remember that night. I was such a WWF fan then that I boycotted Nitro that night just to watch RAW instead, but I had my Mom record Nitro in the other room. My Mom ran in after the match and told me it was over, but RAW was still on and she wouldn't tell me what happened. My WCW friend then called and left a message on the machine telling me what happened, but my Mother said don't pick up the phone and don't listen to the message.

RAW ended, watched Nitro, and to this day I'm still glad I didn't watch it live.

Ruien
07-06-2008, 10:10 PM
Damn, I remember that night. I was such a WWF fan then that I boycotted Nitro that night just to watch RAW instead, but I had my Mom record Nitro in the other room. My Mom ran in after the match and told me it was over, but RAW was still on and she wouldn't tell me what happened. My WCW friend then called and left a message on the machine telling me what happened, but my Mother said don't pick up the phone and don't listen to the message.

RAW ended, watched Nitro, and to this day I'm still glad I didn't watch it live.

What happened on RAW?

Evil Vito
07-07-2008, 11:12 AM
<font color=goldenrod>I was watching it while I was in Virginia Beach on vacation...I was only 9 holy shit. Marked so hard.</font>

Mooияakeя™
07-07-2008, 01:23 PM
Will we ever get anything like this again?

The crowd were mad for this!

Rammsteinmad
07-07-2008, 02:31 PM
Regardless of his wrestling ability, it's tragic to see how HUGE Goldberg could have been, to see what really played out over the years. :(

Fox
07-07-2008, 02:44 PM
What happened on RAW?

Brakus vs. Savio Vega - Brawl For It All
Shamrock vs. Jarrett
Vader vs. Bradshaw
DOA vs. The Headbangers
D'Lo Brown vs. Terry Funk
Hawk vs. Darren Drozdov - Brawl For It all
Val Venis vs. Dustin Runnels
Shamrock vs. Mabel
Mankind vs. Undertaker dressed as Kane

This was also the night that DX did the parody of the Nation.

Other than that though, not much competition for Nitro's huge lineup.

James Steele
07-07-2008, 02:48 PM
Regardless of his wrestling ability, it's tragic to see how HUGE Goldberg could have been, to see what really played out over the years. :(

Wrestling evolved and Goldberg didn't evolve with it. In 1999/2000, a more wrestling-centered approach was getting over and that was why WWF started to kick WCW's ass. Angles and everything is important, but the whole point of the angles, promos, interviews, and other shit is to build interest in the match. The wrestling is the payoff for the angles. Could Goldberg headline WrestleMania? No, because you can't headline WrestleMania with a 10 minute match in the modern era and if you tried...it would suck. We saw what happened at WM 22 when you only give a main event 8 minutes.

Fox
07-07-2008, 03:01 PM
I don't think that's right.

People wanted to see Goldberg crush other wrestlers - namely all of the big names and heels in the company like Hogan, Nash, Steiner, etc. He was over not because of a gimmick or storyline, he was over because he was real. He was a dominator, and people liked seeing that. It was something that hadn't really been done, a main event squash machine who didn't just beat the crap out of mid-carders like Hogan or Diesel did, but one who could kill pretty much anybody.

Goldberg's title run was over shadowed and under booked in favor of Hogan, the nWo, and the celebrities that they kept bringing in. It's ridiculous, but after Goldberg won the WCW Title, he was second banana on the next three PPV's to Hogan, Bischoff, Karl Malone, Rodman and Jay fuckin Leno. He was the biggest draw in the company but he wasn't being treated that way.

When he lost the belt to Nash at Starrcade, it was way too early, there were way too many other main event matches that we hadn't seen yet, and it killed his momentum. So much other bullshit with Russo and the "shake ups" and the injuries he sustained kept him from getting his heat back from the fans, and when it did finally look like he was going to enter the company in a top face position, they turned him fucking heel.

Goldberg was a golden fish in a sea of silvers. I like to compare his run back then to the popularity of Chuck Liddell today. He's a no nonsense, bad ass, hard hitting mother fucker who will beat the shit out of anyone. He's not afraid. People are drawn to characters like that.

And anyone who doesn't think Goldberg could work a good main event match, I turn your attention to Goldberg vs. DDP at Halloween Havoc and his Hell in the Cell match against Scott Steiner, both of which were excellent matches.

James Steele
07-07-2008, 04:27 PM
I don't think that's right.

People wanted to see Goldberg crush other wrestlers - namely all of the big names and heels in the company like Hogan, Nash, Steiner, etc. He was over not because of a gimmick or storyline, he was over because he was real. He was a dominator, and people liked seeing that. It was something that hadn't really been done, a main event squash machine who didn't just beat the crap out of mid-carders like Hogan or Diesel did, but one who could kill pretty much anybody.

Goldberg's title run was over shadowed and under booked in favor of Hogan, the nWo, and the celebrities that they kept bringing in. It's ridiculous, but after Goldberg won the WCW Title, he was second banana on the next three PPV's to Hogan, Bischoff, Karl Malone, Rodman and Jay fuckin Leno. He was the biggest draw in the company but he wasn't being treated that way.

When he lost the belt to Nash at Starrcade, it was way too early, there were way too many other main event matches that we hadn't seen yet, and it killed his momentum. So much other bullshit with Russo and the "shake ups" and the injuries he sustained kept him from getting his heat back from the fans, and when it did finally look like he was going to enter the company in a top face position, they turned him fucking heel.

Goldberg was a golden fish in a sea of silvers. I like to compare his run back then to the popularity of Chuck Liddell today. He's a no nonsense, bad ass, hard hitting mother fucker who will beat the shit out of anyone. He's not afraid. People are drawn to characters like that.

And anyone who doesn't think Goldberg could work a good main event match, I turn your attention to Goldberg vs. DDP at Halloween Havoc and his Hell in the Cell match against Scott Steiner, both of which were excellent matches.

DDP carried that match, and I will look up that Steiner/Goldberg match.

Disturbed316
07-07-2008, 05:06 PM
Was such an awesome Nitro. I remember watching it with my dad and both of us were marking out at the end. When WCW did things right, man were they good.

Shadow
07-08-2008, 01:44 AM
When WCW did things right, man were they good.

Infucking deed. Their only fuck up was the fact that they were knowtowing to Hogan's insane ego and when he left, he didn't leave anything for them to fall back on.

That and Time Warner fucked 'em over big time.

Zen v.W.o.
07-08-2008, 04:28 PM
Goldberg fucked the industry over anyway by not knowing how to wrestle and ending the career of a man 100 times greater then he ever was.

We lost a true legend because of him, not the flash in the pan that Bill was and turned out to be.