PDA

View Full Version : Madison Square Garden - Does it still have its place today? And house shows...

Xero
07-11-2008, 12:58 AM
When you think back over the years, many landmark occasions have happened at the Garden. Everything from the first WrestleMania, the first televised WWF ladder match, Hogan's first title win, Kane's unmasking, Triple H returning, etc etc etc.

However, over the past 15 years, as the WWF expanded, they seemed to shy away from the Garden. Sure, we've had a few huge moments in the past decade, but it's not like it was in the 80's, where they'd run at least one Garden show a month and it was considered the center of Sports Entertainment. Now we're lucky to get one show a year.

Yes, the building has the history, but it seems with the expansion of WWE, there's no need to hold anything at the Garden anymore. This is where I think WWE is going wrong. Where elsewhere in the country (not counting other 'hotbeds') you're not going to see a sell out every time, The Garden guarantees a near-sellout every time they visit. I just don't understand why WWE doesn't hold more shows at it. Yes, I know about the increased cost of running it, but surly they'd make enough if they hold, say, five tapings a year.

Although I can see the point in that, with the WWE in its current state, over-saturating one arena may be overkill and drop the attendance after the first few shows, I think they could pull off a few tapings per year, not oversaturate it and still pull decent crowds all the while making them coming to MSG feel a bit more important. While you may say not coming to the arena will make it feel more important, I feel it's had the opposite effect in that "they're coming to the Garden? meh..." way, specifically because they really haven't made a fuss over it in years and make it seem like any other show.

And now, house shows. There's a house show coming up at MSG. I see people going on about how it's going to be Punk's first title defense at the Garden. I hate to say it, considering how they've treated the building, unless it's a PPV at this point it doesn't matter. It saddens me to say that, but house shows just don't mean anything anymore, and TV hardly counts unless it's REALLY built up (2+ weeks), which is a rarity.

I just don't see the point of house shows anymore. Well, it's not that I don't see the point - I know they need to try out talent and matches and what-not - I just don't see the point in holding them at the frequency that they do. Not counting overseas tours and maybe special "touring" months, I think they could get down to one or less per week.

So I pose these questions:

Does Madison Square Garden still mean something in today's landscape?

What about house shows and unadvertised TV taping matches?

Are house shows, at the frequency that WWE runs them, needed anymore?

Really Short version, since I know most won't read the whole thing:

- Madison Square Garden has its history but hardly seems to matter anymore.

- Same with house shows, which have been on a steady decline in importance to both the fans and the company(s) since the dawn of the Attitude Era.

DarKCentaur
07-11-2008, 01:02 AM
I'm from NY, and I could honestly care less about the upcoming house show. But any major event they hold at the Garden (Raw, WM20, Rumble 08) tends to be awesome, so the Garden still has significance within the WWE, as far as I'm concerned. If it's on TV at MSG, it's gonna rock.

KingofOldSchool
07-11-2008, 09:32 PM
Defiantely no, just watch old MSG shows from the 70's/early 80's and compare them with ANY arena WWE performs at today.

Back then MSG crowds were into every match on the card and you didn't have the smart marks trying to get over.

James Steele
07-11-2008, 09:53 PM
The business is a lot different today. MSG had to be WWE's cashcow back then because it was the epicenter of their territory. Now, WWE has to try and reach a global audience that is continually getting "smarter" and like KoOS said trying to get over. MSG is a historically important place, but now it is just another arena that has built-in hype to it.

NeanderCarl
07-11-2008, 10:50 PM
MSG is the spiritual home ground of the WWE. There will always be a place for MSG on the WWE schedules. I believe the decrease in the regularity of their shows there is because of increased rental prices.

House shows aren't as important as they once were; at one time, they were the major source of income for a wrestling company - the whole reason wrestling existed on TV was to inform and shill viewers on the upcoming house show circuit. Now, they are still important, but with the increase in media platforms and functions available; PPV, TV advertising, PR appearances, video games, DVDs, 24/7, plus full/nearly full arenas several times a week for TV shows and PPVs, plus huge returns on international tours... WWE doesn't NEED as many house shows as they produce to make large profits sd there are many other ways they can make money from having a TV presence, yet they will continue to do so because they are a money making business, and any decrease in shows would lead to a decrease in income.

NeanderCarl
07-11-2008, 10:51 PM
Plus, the wrestlers need house shows to make money. Plus I'd bet a large majority of their merchandise is purchased on the road.

NeanderCarl
07-11-2008, 10:56 PM
Think about it, even the biggest bands in the world go on tour.