PDA

View Full Version : AWA on Espn Classic...

Purgatory
08-01-2008, 02:32 PM
This last episode was maaad weird. A Greco-Roman style match between Baron Rashke and...Larry Bloom? (went on to become one half of The Beverly Brothers of old WWF fame) Then some Football themed match and a few others...

They went and changed the time it was on. I thought they had stopped airing because my DVR just quit recording it and I couldn't be bothered to figure out why. Last I watched before this latest one, Badd Company & Diamond Dallas Page were in position of the Tag Championship. I noticed that Badd Company had apparently split as Paul Diamond was a face and came down to help out during the last match.

Shit, I missed alot. :(

JT
08-02-2008, 04:48 PM
Well it's around the same lines as if you were watching Raw play 5 times a week...you're basically flying through a whole round of storyline and built-up matches in one week. If you stop watching one to two episodes, chances are you'll get lost.

Hanso Amore
08-02-2008, 05:47 PM
Man, the Team Match series was horrible. That was the end of the AWA.

Gertner
08-03-2008, 02:29 PM
This last episode was maaad weird. A Greco-Roman style match between Baron Rashke and...Larry Bloom? (went on to become one half of The Beverly Brothers of old WWF fame) Then some Football themed match and a few others...

They went and changed the time it was on. I thought they had stopped airing because my DVR just quit recording it and I couldn't be bothered to figure out why. Last I watched before this latest one, Badd Company & Diamond Dallas Page were in position of the Tag Championship. I noticed that Badd Company had apparently split as Paul Diamond was a face and came down to help out during the last match.

Shit, I missed alot. :(

Baron Von Raschke vs Wayne Bloom.

Badd Company is probably the most under-rated tag team in wrestling history.

btw I've been waiting for ESPN to show the Team Challenge series forever. Wait until you see the turkey on a pole match between Col.DeBeers and Jake the Milkman Milliman

Purgatory
08-03-2008, 02:43 PM
I hear the Team Challenge was horrible, but I'd still like to see it for nostalgia sake. I dunno...the episode that was on Saturday night was ok. Col. DeBeers got rid of his handlebar mustche lookin thing, Destruction Crew (Bloom and Mike Enos) defended against some jobbers, but got DQ'd for using an off the top rope clothesline.

Hopefully, the timeslot stays the same all week, otherwise I'll have to change the time setting on the DVR tonight.

Gertner
08-03-2008, 03:29 PM
lol the team challenge is probably the worst bit of wrestling you'll ever see. DeBeers losing his stache was tragic. If DeBeers would have been able to take his gimmick to the WWF he would have gotten over more the Sheik. He was that good.

Purgatory
08-03-2008, 03:35 PM
DeBeers was an awesome heel, woulda made a good partner for Slaughter when he was doing his Anti-America thing. Of course, DeBeers would have had to be young enough as well.

Also this: Am I the only one that thinks alot of the AWA guys just looked old as hell?

Vastardikai
08-03-2008, 04:06 PM
^

Much of AWA's problem was that their guys didn't just look old as hell, they WERE old as hell. That and some of their rules were Draconic as hell, like the off the top rope DQ and not hitting the guy's "Second." Both things were actually found to give the fans something to cheer about (for future reference, in MSG Snuka was a heel except when he climbed the ropes, and any match featuring Hulk Hogan where his opponent was managed by Bobby Heenan.) Take that away from the crowd and it's not a good thing. Especially in this time, when the fans can turn on the television and see WWF.

As far as the Old guys on top too long meme, you'd think this would be something that Eric Bischoff would have figured out, as he was working for Verne and saw the AWA fold first hand (though the Team Challenge thing WAS his idea...). You'd think he'd learn from the mistakes.

Gertner
08-03-2008, 10:13 PM
The things is, they HAD to hold on to their old guys because they had nothing left. If you take out Baron, Sheik Adnan, Ox Baker, the Sarge, DeBeers, what was the AWA really left with? All their young talent had essentially left to either the NWA or WWF.

Gertner
08-03-2008, 10:16 PM
DeBeers was an awesome heel, woulda made a good partner for Slaughter when he was doing his Anti-America thing. Of course, DeBeers would have had to be young enough as well.

Also this: Am I the only one that thinks alot of the AWA guys just looked old as hell?

DeBeers wasn't that bad at the end of his career. Slaughter wasn't exactly a technical marvel during this time. DeBeers was awesome in interviews, and wouldhave kicked ass in the WWE. He also had a pretty cool finisher for this era( piledriver flapjack, almost a Styles Clash).

If you get the chance, google his matches with Jimmy Snuka and how he refuses to wrestle Snuka, calling him a half breed. Fucking tremendous.

Gertner
08-06-2008, 12:42 AM
God damn it, they skipped right over the turkey on a pole match.