PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of getting a 360 but I have questions.

Drakul
08-14-2008, 05:18 AM
I'm wondering if I should try and get myself a 360 soon. I have a Wii, which is cool but with so few games interesting me, I'm thinking about picking up the 360.

So far, I've got just a few games on the "I'd like to play" list.
Namely: Dead Rising, GTA IV, Burnout Paradise (or any other Burnout that comes around in the future), Mass Effect and probably Resident Evil 5. Do those games justify buying a 360?

Another question I have is how reliable is the actual console? I always hear about someone getting Red Rings of Death so I'd like to know if it's worth saving for or if it's going to just die a week after I buy it. I'm also unsure what features the console has. I've looked it up online but all I get is how fast it processes and other techinical stuff I don't understand. So what does each version of the console do and whats the difference between Arcade, Premium etc?

D Mac
08-14-2008, 05:20 AM
Sure those are good enough, just make sure you have an HDTV before you get Dead Rising. Text is hard to read on non HD.

And I bought my 360 over 2 years ago and have had no problems.

Drakul
08-14-2008, 05:23 AM
Does it have to be HDTV? Wouldn't the text be readable on a regular 22" screen?

Extreme Angle
08-14-2008, 06:23 AM
If I were you I would buy a 360, there is a dead rising demo on the marketplace so you can see how it plays and if you can read text on there. I've never played the actual game, I just ran around slicing up zombies.

Are you gonna have it on Live?

If you liked the Perfect Dark on the N64, then you'll probably like PDZ you can pick it up for like £5 nowadays.

Saints Row is a really fun game, I preferred it way more than GTA, and with Saints Row 2 coming up as well...

Fable 2 is coming, the game is going to be immense, I just bought pub games, which is the arcade game for fable 2, it's basically 3 gambling games which can earn you money in the real fable 2.

But yeah, get a 360...

Team Sheep
08-14-2008, 07:03 AM
PS3!!

Drakul
08-14-2008, 09:41 AM
If I were you I would buy a 360, there is a dead rising demo on the marketplace so you can see how it plays and if you can read text on there. I've never played the actual game, I just ran around slicing up zombies.

Are you gonna have it on Live?

If you liked the Perfect Dark on the N64, then you'll probably like PDZ you can pick it up for like £5 nowadays.

Saints Row is a really fun game, I preferred it way more than GTA, and with Saints Row 2 coming up as well...

Fable 2 is coming, the game is going to be immense, I just bought pub games, which is the arcade game for fable 2, it's basically 3 gambling games which can earn you money in the real fable 2.

But yeah, get a 360...

Wow, you can download demos of games? When I do finally pick on up, I'll head over to the marketplace. I'm assuming demos will cost something.

I'm not sure if I'll have it on Live. I probably will if I happen to get the same online games as my brother-in-law (None of my friends have a 360. It's DS's, Ps2's and Wii's as far as the eye can see).

I never thought about Saints Row with GTA being out. Dunno if I'd bother with it. Same with Fable, that's like D&D RPG stuff, leveling up and slaying things, right? Yeah, I'm pretty clueless when it comes to 360 games.

No to PS3 though, Team Sheep. The size, the price, the lack of games I like the look of and my brother going on about how it's the superior console without having even played it have all soured me to idea. With the exception of the New Mario, Zelda, Kirby, Wario and Pikmin games coming out over the next year or two, there's nothing for me to play. The Nintendo games wont last me very long and the only console that seems to have anything that interests me is the 360.

BigDaddyCool
08-14-2008, 10:19 AM
Don't get the Arcade, that is just asking for the RRoD.

Kane Knight
08-14-2008, 12:25 PM
I'm wondering if I should try and get myself a 360 soon. I have a Wii, which is cool but with so few games interesting me, I'm thinking about picking up the 360.

So far, I've got just a few games on the "I'd like to play" list.
Namely: Dead Rising, GTA IV, Burnout Paradise (or any other Burnout that comes around in the future), Mass Effect and probably Resident Evil 5. Do those games justify buying a 360?

Another question I have is how reliable is the actual console? I always hear about someone getting Red Rings of Death so I'd like to know if it's worth saving for or if it's going to just die a week after I buy it. I'm also unsure what features the console has. I've looked it up online but all I get is how fast it processes and other techinical stuff I don't understand. So what does each version of the console do and whats the difference between Arcade, Premium etc?

The instances of RROD are going down. The newer models are reportedly better. GTA IV and Mass Effect are probably the best reasons to get another system, and Burnout Paradise is a pretty good game (Though still missing a lot of the old Burnout)

If you get a 360, get one with a Hard Drive. The 60 GB is probably the best choice in terms of size and economy, but don't get one without an HDD. Demos are often a gig, and you need an HDD for Backwards Compatability.

How much you need depends on how much extra stuff you want. DLC can add up, but in most cases, you really need a lot. Demos, videos, XBLA games and XBox Originals can take up a lot of space, as can certain expansions (The Samurai Warriors 2 XL one, for example....). Burnout Paradise's Cagney update, required to play online, requires almost 400 MB itself. Other games sometimes require such updates as well, and if you plan on buying a lot of DLC for a game like Rock Band, it can eat up a gig or two alone.

Toss in the upcoming installation process for games (I think it's kinda lame, but you might not, so), and HDD space is a good thing.

Does it have to be HDTV? Wouldn't the text be readable on a regular 22" screen?

My old TV was a 27 inch screen. The text is hard to read on an old school TV, no matter how big it is.

Kris P Lettus
08-14-2008, 12:47 PM
Yeah, I couldn't read it on my 36" old skool tv..

Buy it at Best Buy and spend the extra money on their 2 (maybe 4) year warranty.. That way if you do get the RROD, you can just take it back and get a new one.. Do know if they'll let you keep your old harddrive because that's where all your game memory is stored and that's not what fucks up when you get the rrod..

I was thoroughly enjoying Oblivion when mines crapped out.. Need to get it fixed soon though cause I'm dying to play the new Madden..

OssMan
08-14-2008, 01:08 PM
Just stay with the Wii. It is a whole lot better.

D Mac
08-14-2008, 02:44 PM
No, it's not.

OssMan
08-14-2008, 03:11 PM
Ya it is. It is mad "fun." I realized that Microsoft doesn't understand the purpose of video games. And every debate about Xbox/PS3 has to do with "exclusives" and Wii has more exclusives than anything so shut the fuck up because they are better too. Like Mario Galaxy, and Mario Kart, and Brawl.

D Mac
08-14-2008, 03:13 PM
lol those are kiddie games. gay

Kris P Lettus
08-14-2008, 03:15 PM
Fuck you, DM..

Mario, Zelda, and Metroid alone will keep my buying Nintendos for the rest of my life..

Wii is awesome but for games like Madden, gotta go Xbox..

DrA
08-14-2008, 03:19 PM
There are not enough gothic-themed games for the 360 for it to pursue my interests.

#BROKEN Hasney
08-14-2008, 03:54 PM
Don't get the Arcade, that is just asking for the RRoD.

The Arcade is using the same newer chipset as the Premium and Elite consoles so chances of a RRoD are about the same.

Demos don't cost shit and yeah, get an hard drive. You'll be kicking yourself down the line if you get the Arcade.

I would talk shit about how the Wii has gotten boring for me, but then Strong Bad and MLB Power Pros 2008 just came out so my 360 has only got a look-in for brief Madden moments :D

BigDaddyCool
08-14-2008, 04:11 PM
Though if you do get an Aracde, I'll sell you my extra harddrive.

Kane Knight
08-14-2008, 05:05 PM
lol those are kiddie games. gay

They're not really kiddie games. They're more games for the handicapped.

Funky Fly
08-14-2008, 07:56 PM
1. Lots of games on the 360. I'm sure you'll find something you like. Especially if you have a PS2. Most of the kinds of games on that system are also represented on the 360 (hell, a lot of 360 games are sequels or ports of PS2 games).

2. You'll want to upgrade to a plasma or LCD tv. You will. End of story.

3. Get either the Pro or Elite 360. The arcade one just sucks. No backward compatibility, no hard drive and the trade off is 5 free Live games? Holy suck, Batman.

4. XBox Live is the goods. Lots of Live Arcade games (Hexic HD and Aegis Wing are free, BTW), free demos and trailers, plenty of updates... you can't go wrong. You can also rent movies through it, but I never bother with that when I've got a Blockbuster within walking distance of my house.

Kane Knight
08-14-2008, 08:07 PM
I've downloaded a couple of movies. It's an okay servce, considering the Blockbuster near me might as well be an IHOP for all the movies is has. I don't think I'd bother often, though.

Funky Fly
08-14-2008, 08:39 PM
lol IHOP

There's also the benefit of playing online with TPWW people. Speaking of which, I'm gonna go fire up my 360 right now, so if anyone wants to play over Live, message me.

Kane Knight
08-14-2008, 09:15 PM
I don't see you online, Funk. If you're up for some Rawk Band, tho....

Drakul
08-15-2008, 03:26 AM
There is no way I could afford an HDTV and a 360 but I'll probably be picking up a 360 before Christmas.
It'll most like be a 60GB Premium one. Found some for sale at GAME for £199.99 which is good considering I thought it would be closer to £300.

As for Dead Rising, has anyone tried to fix the text with this:
Unfortunately Dead Rising was optimized for High Definition TV's. Due to this, the font in the game might be difficult to read on standard definition TV's. If you are having a hard time reading the text, please try the following: 1). Adjust the settings on your TV or monitor. 2). Try using component cables instead of standard composite. 3). Setting the TV to widescreen ratio (even though you may not have a widescreen TV) may help in some cases

I'm not trading in my Wii, I never trade in a console because you never know when you'll want to go back and play an old game. I still, occasionally, bring out my NES to play Maniac Mansion and stuff.
I like the Wii but with Nintendo not really giving out much to look forward to and with the 3rd parties not doing a great job with Wii games I thought I'd get a console that 3rd parties where actually trying to make good games for.
I'm sure everyones realised that, for the most part, 3rd parties just take the Ps2 version of a game, add a shaking motion and put it on the Wii. Some games turn out even better on the Wii, like Re4 but 9/10 times it's just a Ps2 game with waggle & shake. It's worth keeping for Mario, Zelda and other decent 1st party games, though.

D Mac
08-15-2008, 04:25 AM
You could get a VGA adapter for your 360 and play it on your computer monitor. You should be able to read it good enough.

Extreme Angle
08-15-2008, 05:03 AM
Na, there are over 150 demos on the marketplace now, so It is really good, all free to.
Even if you don't have Xbox Live Gold, you can still get silver for free and download demos and speak to friends.

There is seriously games for everyone on the 360, you may have heard of Viva Pinata, well most people think straight away as it being a shitty kids game, but in all honesty IMO it is one of the top games for 360, and I have played most of the games out.

It's like a game where you build a garden and get pinatas to live their... sounds shit. But it really isn't. If you have a friend who comes over, or someone who would play on the 360 with you then Army of Two is a really good game, the co-op is unbelievable. You can pick up Assassins Creed for like £10 nowadays, really good game, some people get bored like half way through the game, I loved the whole thing, story was really good, can't wait till the 2nd.

Bad Company
08-15-2008, 07:19 AM
Those games are shit.

If you want something futureproof with shit controllers, get a PS3

I prefer the 360, because I burn games, and don't play xbox live. But it's the best online service.

#BROKEN Hasney
08-15-2008, 11:34 AM
Viva Piniata is awesome :(

Kane Knight
08-15-2008, 11:48 AM
Never really cared for Viva. It's not a horrible game, but it didn't suck me in or anything. I mean, if you like it, more power to you.

Extreme Angle
08-15-2008, 01:42 PM
Viva Pinata is awesome :y:

BigDaddyCool
08-15-2008, 03:01 PM
I'm going to get a high def tv when even I get my best buy card paid down.

Drakul
08-16-2008, 08:18 AM
I played Viva Piniata just after it came out at one of those stands they have in shops. Tried it for 30 seconds, didn't know what I was doing and I can't see me playing it again.
Played Burnout Paradise a couple months ago on the Ps3 at another of those stand things. It was really good, my friend and I took turns having a go for about 10 minutes so that's another definite buy when I get that 360.

#BROKEN Hasney
08-16-2008, 08:28 AM
I played Viva Piniata just after it came out at one of those stands they have in shops. Tried it for 30 seconds, didn't know what I was doing and I can't see me playing it again.
Played Burnout Paradise a couple months ago on the Ps3 at another of those stand things. It was really good, my friend and I took turns having a go for about 10 minutes so that's another definite buy when I get that 360.

Yeah, it's a game you need to play from the start, you can't just jump in and have a quick blast.

I'll tell you what though, Forza is a great game and if you look out, I've seen the Wireless entertainment pack (Wireless controller, Forza 2 and Viva Piniata) for as low as £20

#BROKEN Hasney
08-17-2008, 11:53 AM
Best UK deal I've seen.

http://www.game.co.uk/Xbox360/Hardware/HardwareBundle/~r336466/Xbox-360-20GB-Premium-Pack-with-Forza-2-Viva-Pinata-an-Extra-Controller-ONLINE-Exclusive-Bundle/?s=

Drakul
08-17-2008, 01:42 PM
Cool, I guess I could get that deal. Once I run out of space I could get some extra memory with an attachable hard drive. Can't see myself using much memory anyway.

Jon Kano
08-17-2008, 02:43 PM
Best UK deal I've seen.

http://www.game.co.uk/Xbox360/Hardware/HardwareBundle/~r336466/Xbox-360-20GB-Premium-Pack-with-Forza-2-Viva-Pinata-an-Extra-Controller-ONLINE-Exclusive-Bundle/?s=

You STILL work at Game?

#BROKEN Hasney
08-17-2008, 02:50 PM
You STILL work at Game?

Nope.

Cool, I guess I could get that deal. Once I run out of space I could get some extra memory with an attachable hard drive. Can't see myself using much memory anyway.

Unless you're looking at movies and ripping soundtracks, you probably won't use it all.

Drakul
08-17-2008, 02:57 PM
Unless you're looking at movies and ripping soundtracks, you probably won't use it all.

Yeah, I wont be downloading movies. Unless there are ways of using my own music in games, I wont be adding any either.

#BROKEN Hasney
08-17-2008, 03:25 PM
Yeah, you can play your music in every single game that you like and the sound effects will carry on as normal, just the music will shut off.

What you can do though is connect your XBox to the same network your PC is on and just stream the music from your PC, saving 360 HD space.

Kane Knight
08-17-2008, 04:07 PM

For the record, the memory system is all proprietary. You can't buy an extra HDD for things like game saves or demos. You can use one for music (as a USB storage device), but otherwise...

D Mac
08-18-2008, 02:22 AM
The 120 Gig HD is awesome.

Funky Fly
08-19-2008, 02:10 AM
I don't see you online, Funk. If you're up for some Rawk Band, tho....

My brother is a bitch sometimes. Knew I was gonna be on and jumped on it just before I could get on it.

Kane Knight
08-19-2008, 11:17 AM
My brother is a bitch sometimes. Knew I was gonna be on and jumped on it just before I could get on it.

DAMN HIM! DAMN HIM TO HECK!

Nah, it's okay. I just played like 900 Rock Band songs before I got off to watch whatever was on that night.

Drakul
09-20-2008, 03:59 AM
I bought a 360 yesterday, online. Just waiting for it to get here sometime next week. Luckily, there was a price cut yesterday so I got a 60Gb Premium console for just £169.99. I also bought GTA IV, a second controller and pre-owned copies of Burnout Paradise and Dead Rising but I didn't have enough spare money for the Live thing but I think you get a month free silver membership anyway, right?

Looking forward to it getting here. I'm slowly finding out about more games I'd like eventually. Mass Effect and the new C&C:Red Alert which I was told about a couple of days ago.

Thanks for the info I got in this thread.

El Fangel
09-20-2008, 04:16 AM
Just from reading this thread I am compelled to buy a 360

D Mac
09-20-2008, 04:24 AM
YESSSSSSS

El Fangel
09-20-2008, 04:30 AM
It reminded me of a few things.

Namely Mass Effect and Saints Row

El Fangel
09-20-2008, 04:37 AM
For 375 is this a good deal?

XBOX 360 with 20g hard drive, 2 controllers (1 wireless and 1 normal) and guitar

games:
gta4
guitar hero 2 & 3
Mass Effect
Fight Night 3
NHL2k7
<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

D Mac
09-20-2008, 06:17 AM
Hell yeah it is. But get Rock Band 2.

El Fangel
09-20-2008, 06:23 AM
Duh, hell my girlfriend wants to get it too. I think we may go splits on it.

Small problem here is, I cant afford that right now, and possibly not until December, in which case the dude may have already sold it.

Drakul
09-24-2008, 01:49 AM
My 360 arrived yesterday. Set it up and it's pretty awesome. Though the internal clock seems to keep reseting itself.

The text in Dead Rising is readable for the most part, like in cut-scenes and instruction pop-ups but I just have trouble reading the text when you talk to people ingame. I can read it but with it being so small it take a bit longer so the text usually disappears before I read it but I'm pretty sure anything important will be a cut scene so I'm not that bothered by it.
Otis really doesn't stop ringing does he?

Burnout and GTA are great to. Added my own music to Burnout (took me a while to figure out how). Not set up Live yet because I have to get a really long wire today to hook up to the 360 from the PC.

All in all, I'm impressed and glad I bought it. I really like the way games have achievments but what do they do other than give you new pictures to use for your profile? Do getting so many achievment unlock things or something?

Extreme Angle
09-24-2008, 02:57 AM
Not all achievements give you a new picture... It's just a tidy way to compare how your doing on a certain game compared to other players. Pointless really. But I always try and get the achievements none the less.

Disturbed316
09-24-2008, 05:24 AM
GAMERSCORE WHORE!