PDA

View Full Version : TNA making money?

screech
08-21-2008, 07:44 PM
from TPWW.net main page

» TNA is doing very well financially, and not only are they profiting, but they have begun to pay back Panda Energy for the millions of dollars they invested in the company during its first 5-years.

» Last week there was more internal animosity towards the creative team than ever before. There were complaints about too many stipulation and weapons matches for no reason, and also complaints about too many super hero segments with the Prince Justice League. Most feel that even with all of the internal complaining nothing will change. There are lots of complaints that Joe is being booked as a whining complainer instead of the strong face champion that he was.

» There are some in management were that feel the only reason the talent was so mad at creative was because they did a three-day house show run before the two days of TV.

» The booking team is using a style of booking recently where everything is built around constant swerves. Many feel that it has been fun and entertaining, but will cause people to lose emotional attachment with the product.

I wanted to get this up before heading out (in case you missed it/care). I'll post my thoughts later but I wanted to know what you guys thought about this.

Londoner
08-21-2008, 07:46 PM
The booking team is using a style of booking recently where everything is built around constant swerves. Many feel that it has been fun and entertaining, but will cause people to lose emotional attachment with the product

I haven't been watching TNA, but if they're over doing this style of booking then i can see it ending badly.

screech
08-22-2008, 12:09 PM
All right now that I'm back from a fun-filled night, I'm ready to tackle this. Here goes nothing.

» TNA is doing very well financially, and not only are they profiting, but they have begun to pay back Panda Energy for the millions of dollars they invested in the company during its first 5-years.

I know I'm not the only one surprised by this, but I'm not as surprised as most. I've seen the last few pay per views and have been watching iMPACT! regularly, and the product has been better (even though Joe still has the strap). Despite the loss of Tomko :'( and just recently the focal point of the Knockout Division, Gail Kim, they have been putting on good shows. I've never been to a live event (the bastards won't come to Philly) but I hear they're quite entertaining.

» Last week there was more internal animosity towards the creative team than ever before. There were complaints about too many stipulation and weapons matches for no reason, and also complaints about too many super hero segments with the Prince Justice League. Most feel that even with all of the internal complaining nothing will change. There are lots of complaints that Joe is being booked as a whining complainer instead of the strong face champion that he was.

This really doesn't surprise me. The gimmick matches seem to happen once a week, if not more, and while those Justice League segments are comical, they aren't funny enough to warrant having that much air time. Bubba's recent comment about no one wanting to watch "normal" wrestling anymore probably has something to do with this. Or it's that he's a fat sack of crap, who's to say? Watching Joe's segments (watching him do anything really) is just painful. His promos suck and he really does come off as a whiny bitch. I said it when he won and I'll say it again: he should have never gotten the strap. I understand they want to have the company led by homegrown talent, but Joe? If they want him to come off as a strong champ (i.e. not a whiny bitch), they should've turned him heel like he was when he debuted. Being the guy who doesn't talk [much] and just flat out kicks ass is a much better fit for him than his current role. And the reason none of this will change is because they're profiting. They're probably defending themselves by saying, "If it ain't broke don't fix it."

» There are some in management were that feel the only reason the talent was so mad at creative was because they did a three-day house show run before the two days of TV.

I'd be pissed too if I got back from a weekend of house shows and had to do two days of 'Fuck Yourself in the Ass' matches (and there's the main event at Bound For Glory).

» The booking team is using a style of booking recently where everything is built around constant swerves. Many feel that it has been fun and entertaining, but will cause people to lose emotional attachment with the product.

Since Russo is involved I'm not surprised. It has been entertaining, but they can't do it forever. It'll get over for now but soon they'll start losing fans because people just won't be interested anymore. It is a good way to get people to tune in, but it's not a way to make them want to keep watching.

Rammsteinmad
08-22-2008, 12:21 PM
What happened to Tomko?

screech
08-22-2008, 12:30 PM
He left TNA to wrestle full-time in Japan (I forget the fed). Creative wasn't big on him because he kept turning down their ideas. They were also pissed at him for skipping a fan fest thing for Lockdown back in March, which is why he was suspended (or as they said, "hurt in Japan") and why he and AJ lost the tag titles.

Londoner
08-22-2008, 01:55 PM
He left TNA to wrestle full-time in Japan (I forget the fed). Creative wasn't big on him because he kept turning down their ideas. They were also pissed at him for skipping a fan fest thing for Lockdown back in March, which is why he was suspended (or as they said, "hurt in Japan") and why he and AJ lost the tag titles.

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Dorkchop
08-22-2008, 05:37 PM
How can you not love Tomko? I'd love to see him get a decent run in WWE. He's good enough to at least be an upper mid carder.

BigDaddyCool
08-22-2008, 05:47 PM
They are indeed watering down the product and saying the talent (you know the guys that are out their making you money) are just being pissy is bad management. They really are doing everything WCW did wrong with none of the finacial backing of Turner.

screech
08-22-2008, 06:05 PM
How can you not love Tomko? I'd love to see him get a decent run in WWE. He's good enough to at least be an upper mid carder.

Tomko is the man. He was one of the main reasons I watched TNA. He's very entertaining and his work in the ring has vastly improved. I was pissed when he left. I did just read this though:

from the front page
» Tomko, who recently parted ways with TNA, was backstage at the SmackDown/ECW taping in Atlanta. It wouldn't be surprising to see him return to WWE as there has been interest in him since his career revival in TNA. We'll see shortly but I've heard it's likely to happen.

This is fantastic news.