PDA

View Full Version : 30 Things WWE is Doing Right

Juan
08-21-2008, 08:10 PM
Got this from The Steel Cage, the wrestling side of the Newsday website with two former WWE writers. Quite interesting.

http://weblogs.newsday.com/sports/specialevent/wrestling/

1. Mark Henry: I’ve thoroughly enjoyed his work since becoming ECW champion. Mark seems to be having a lot of fun in his bully character, and it is infectious. I’m happy to see him mow down ECW’s babyfaces for the foreseeable future. Even Tony Atlas has played his role well.

2. C.M. Punk: While I may not be thrilled with every booking decision made along the way, the fact is WWE has put one of its two top titles around the waist of a young, up-and-comer who was legitimately a couple years away from earning a world title run. I don’t have a problem with him struggling in some of his matches, as the storyline is that he somewhat lucked into his title win. He may not have the size or seasoning to beat all his opponents, but he’s got the heart to hold his own against them. WWE seems to recognize that.

3. MVP: Here’s a guy who WWE saw something in before a lot of us did. MVP is fantastic on the mic, credible in the ring, and a student of the sport. He should have a world title in his future.

4. Brian Kendrick: He’s still green on the mic, but it’s good to see WWE invest some creative energy and TV time in one of its smallest wrestlers. He’s doing a nice job as a mix between Brian Pillman and a young Shawn Michaels. If only they did the same for his old partner Paul London.

5. ECW: With Teddy Long’s “new talent initiative,” ECW is quickly becoming what many of us had been recommending for a while – a showcase for developmental talent. Some might flounder, but it’s encouraging to see WWE using its C-brand to invest in its future.

6. Edge: Everything he does is gold.

7. Vickie Guerrero: A year ago, many fans thought WWE was exploiting a widow with their casting of Vickie as an obnoxious villainess. Today, she’s one of the most consistently entertaining characters on TV.

8. Batista: He knows his character well, and plays “cool” better than anyone. His tweener tendencies as of late have stirred a lot of interest among fans.

9. Cody Rhodes and Ted Dibiase: Athletic, confident, and good on the mic. They’re everything WWE could hope for in its young talent. And their push has been handled well so far.

10. Mike Adamle: Closely scripted, and kept far away from an announce table, he’s done an OK job as Raw’s GM.

11. The return of the Undertaker: He’s a legend, and more than that, he’s a hell of a worker.

12. The new announce teams: The new pairings on all three shows have freshened up the WWE product as a whole. Even Todd Grisham and Matt Stryker have done a nice job.

13. Noticing ROH: Punk is wearing the world title. Colt Cabana debuted with a promo last week. Evan Bourne is kicking butt in ECW. And Bryan Danielson and Takeshi Morishima both received dark match victories on Raw in recent months. Somebody in WWE has been ordering DVD’s online.

14. Kofi Kingston: His offense is unlike anything WWE fans have seen before. And behind the announce table on Raw Monday night, he showed hints of some untapped charisma.

15. “Glamarella”: Santino could go down as one of the best comedy acts WWE has ever seen, and his pairing with Beth Phoenix has been a lot of fun so far.

16. R-Truth Hype: I’m not sold on the former Ron Killings as a top act, but it’s nice to see WWE invest some time in building up a new character before his debut.

17. Shelton Benjamin: He’s long been one of WWE most athletically gifted, yet underutilized, stars. It’s good to see him wearing a major singles title, and apparently in line for a meaningful feud with Jeff Hardy.

18. The Smackdown Divas: Natalya, Michelle McCool and a few others have made the blue brand a new destination for quality women’s wrestling.

19. The WWE cuts: Not to take joy in anybody losing their job, but WWE wisely dropped some dead weight with its cuts last week.

20. Kane: I’m not entirely sure where they’re going, but it’s good to see the Big Red Machine get some of his edge back.

21. Triple H: He’s been willing to take a backseat to Edge, Taker and other top acts in WWE, while still delivering quality work in the ring.

22. JBL’s promos: He can’t do what he used to in the ring, but can still deliver on the mic.

23. Jamie Noble: After years of being a bit player on Smackdown, he’s got one of the most developed characters in WWE, and is getting plenty of TV time on Raw.

24. Explaining the presence of WWE cameras backstage: They’re still not being completely consistent, but in between Adamle directing a camera to catch the Batista-Cena confrontation, and Cole grabbing Shawn Michaels for an interview after SummerSlam, WWE may finally be addressing one of my biggest pet peeves on the product.

25. Jeff Hardy: WWE could have buried him upon his return from a drug suspension. Instead, they rightly gave him another chance, and appreciated his value in the company.

26. The Great Khali: Giants have been around wrestling since the beginning of time, and Khali is doing an exceptional job in his role.

27. Smackdown!: Long gone are the days of Smackdown being the red headed stepchild of WWE. It's got stars, quality wrestling, and hot storylines.

28. Pay Per Views: We haven't had an all-out dud of a pay per view all year. Combining the brands for the monthly shows has paid off with loaded cards, and good action.

29. Matt Hardy: Matt's done an admirable job earning the sympathy of fans in his quest to win ECW's top prize for the seemingly unbeatable Mark Henry.

30. And finally… Shawn Michaels and Chris Jericho. Quite simply the most compelling and well written wrestling storyline in recent history, being performed by two masters of their craft.

Shadow
08-21-2008, 08:14 PM
....Mark Henry...they're doing something good with that?

Juan
08-21-2008, 08:16 PM
IMO Yes. Do you watch ECW?

Shadow
08-21-2008, 08:17 PM
No.

Juan
08-21-2008, 08:18 PM
Well there you go.

The only one i don't agree with is number 26.

thedamndest
08-21-2008, 08:21 PM
It's a good list, with the exception of Khali.

Mr. Nerfect
08-21-2008, 09:44 PM
There are a few I don't agree with. The Great Khali, Cody Rhodes & Ted DiBiase (I like them, but don't feel they have been treated well), Batista and a lot of the others are more "average" than good.

McLegend
08-21-2008, 10:31 PM
Adamle still sucks though.

MCEazy
08-21-2008, 11:57 PM
Adamle still sucks though.

I agree, I was hopeing for a heel turn as GM but no dice thus far.

KYR
08-22-2008, 12:26 AM
"30 Things WWE is Doing Right", yet the only positive thing they have to say about Adamle is that "he’s done an OK job as Raw’s GM".

They're "not sure" where they're going with Kane.

Rhodes & Dibiase's push has been handled well (Sorry??? What was with the one week title-loss??? Still trying to figure that one out).

Vickie - ENTERTAINING????? Puhhhhlease.

Indifferent Clox
08-22-2008, 12:41 AM
Since the draft WWE has been excellent. As good as they have been since 2002. Period. Sure they've fucked up. But 1997-2002 wasn't perfect in every respect as some people make it out to be.

Juan
08-22-2008, 12:44 AM
Since the draft WWE has been excellent. As good as they have been since 2002. Period. Sure they've fucked up. But 1997-2002 wasn't perfect in every respect as some people make it out to be.

Agreed. I firmly believe that some people will NEVER be satisfied.

Indifferent Clox
08-22-2008, 01:10 AM
12 other things WWE is doing right.

1. Vince is off tv.

2. Jericho being a fucking amazing heel.

3. Putting up matches that fans want to see. i.e. Punk/ Jericho Kendrick/ Goldman, HBK/ Jericho a million times

4. Cryme Tyme- Having them have an association with Cena without pressing that too hard, stealing the titles last week fit their characters perfectly and looks like it may be a great feud.

5. Cena- They aren't pushing him down our throats nearly as much as they used to... and that match with Batista was in my opinion an excellent display of strength with some innovative stuff. I legitemetly said 'Holy fucking shit' when he reversed that one move and like picked up Batista over his shoulder, it looked like he was picking up someone who weighed less than him, not 50+ pounds more. I'm not saying Batista dwarfed Cena by any means but dude it made him look mad strong when he was able to toss him around like he did.

6. More emphasis on smaller wrestlers - The big guy charecters are not gone by any means, nor really should they be they have their place for sure. But Punk is a champ, Noble has a regular role, Kenderick is getting a push, Evan Bourne is smaller than a lot of guys, but the thing is they aren't pushing these guys as simple underdogs they add something to it. They are being taken seriously and not made to job.

7. Miz and Morrison- When I first saw miz I saw him as nothing but a joke, pairing him with the excellent Morrison was a great idea, they don't need the belts to get over, but when they had them they did amazing things, the dirt sheet is also always amazing, although I thought the version on ECW was a little watered down which brings me to

8. WWE.com- more exclusive shows/ promos to build charecters is a great thing especially because they can focus on longer match times (more on that in a minute or an hour depending on how long it takes you to read [TerranRich, I'm looking at you:)]). They also have this whole WWE fan nation which I think they must be taking pretty seriously since since the time it came up more ideas seem to be inspired by the net.

9. More match emphasis- I think they are really focusing on matches now a lot more than they have in recent years which is really nice.

10. Feuds in general- They have created some really great unique rivalries in the last year and a half which are better than I can remember in a long time. Y2J/ HBK, MVP/Hardy, Edge/ Taker/ Vickie/la familia. Really all the angles have been a lot better... that could be another point.

11. Giving three guys who've never held a title a shot at the wwe title at Unforgiven- regardless of how this goes the worst wrestlers in this match are Triple H and Jeff Hardy. When those two are the WORST you have some amazing competition. Note: Triple H is one of the best in WWE his style however is a little stale but always works, Hardy is amazing if a little too low on the psychology at times.

12. Better Angles in general- Mysterio/ Kane may be a little shoddy now, but Punk/ JBL was pretty great. Foley Doing what he did for Edge and then Edge going psycho was amazing, I just think they are using better ideas and fixing their fuck ups, which may seem akward at first but better than trying to hold on to something dead.

TerranRich
08-22-2008, 01:23 AM
LOL Clox, I was actually reading your entire post, in its entirety, when I saw my name mentioned. See? It's not that hard to read more than one line of a post at a time.

That is what you were referring to, wasn't it?

But yeah, I agree with most of the original post contents as far as what WWE is actually doing right. Sure, there are things that WWE are doing wrong, but it's small potatoes, so to speak.

Mmm, potatoes.

Indifferent Clox
08-22-2008, 01:52 AM
I was just fucking with you, I was gonna say BDC but I knew he'd get all pissy and I figured you could take a joke. It was pretty much random.

Indifferent Clox
08-22-2008, 03:59 AM
I was actually referring to the fact that you do not read very fast.

[/norm mcdonald]

Lord-Of-Darkness
08-22-2008, 11:27 AM
I agree with pretty much all of those. Like most, I disagree with Khali. I'd enjoy Khali much more as a face. He needs to do some kind of build up of segments with him learning broken english, mixed with his usual dose of gibberish. I think he could work as a midcard face.

Kane Knight
08-22-2008, 01:13 PM
LAWL

TerranRich
08-22-2008, 09:27 PM
I was actually referring to the fact that you do not read very fast.

[/norm mcdonald]

I knew it! You stand behind me and watch me read TPWW posts!

That's not creepy at all.

Destor
08-22-2008, 09:38 PM
Sound list.

Indifferent Clox
08-23-2008, 12:30 AM
Terran, I stand behind you and watch you do a lot of things.

:|