PDA

View Full Version : Tom Brady Out for Season

Indifferent Clox
09-07-2008, 08:27 PM
It appears he has a Torn ACL.

Wow a lot of bad teams are looking good (titans/ falcons...maybe jets :\), and the AFC champions are possibly down and out. This changes the whole complexion of the season for sure.

Nervous Ferret
09-07-2008, 08:31 PM
the champions?

U-Warrior
09-07-2008, 08:34 PM
lol

darkpower
09-07-2008, 08:39 PM
Well, champions of the AFC....I HOPE...only way that declaration would work..

Then again, they probably cheated to win that, too... :shifty:

Innovator
09-07-2008, 08:41 PM
The champs are 1-0 Clox

Indifferent Clox
09-07-2008, 08:43 PM
lol afc yes i thought I put that

Indifferent Clox
09-07-2008, 08:43 PM
Yeah they are 1-0 but they had brady for some of the game.

MVP
09-07-2008, 08:45 PM
I think he meant the Giants

Nervous Ferret
09-07-2008, 08:50 PM
this is painful

Innovator
09-07-2008, 08:54 PM
Clox is painful

Innovator
09-07-2008, 08:55 PM
I think he meant the Superbowl XLII Champion Giants

darkpower
09-07-2008, 09:32 PM
Clox is painful

Your mom is painful.

SammyG
09-07-2008, 11:28 PM
Yah, Clox, stfu about football.

Jesus Shuttlesworth
09-07-2008, 11:37 PM
You mean to tell me Tom Brady, last years NFL MVP, being out for the season could vastly change the AFC's standings?

YOUR Hero
09-08-2008, 12:32 AM
you don't say?

darkpower
09-08-2008, 01:35 AM
I saw it on NFL Gameday...was kind of nasty. The way the Pats behaved last season, it's kind of karma, but still,...

darkpower
09-08-2008, 01:56 AM
Latest News (http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/players/playerpage/187741)
Report: Brady has major knee damage: Patriots QB Tom Brady (http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/players/playerpage/187741) left the club's Week 1 game vs. Kansas City with a left knee injury after he was hit by Chiefs DB Bernard Pollard (http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/players/playerpage/418839) and fell to the ground awkwardly. Yahoo! Sports and Peter King of Sports Illustrated are reporting Sunday night that Brady has major ligament damage in his knee, possibly a torn ACL. Before the injury, Brady had completed 7-of-11 passes for 76 yards before leaving. Brady was helped off the field and into the club's locker room, not walking under his own power. He did not return to the game as Matt Cassel (http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/players/playerpage/552470) took over. Pats head coach Bill Belichick didn't have an update after the game. An official word might come tomorrow.
(Updated 09/07/2008). For those that want something official. Unfortunately, not much new from that.

Hope it's not career-threatening (doubt it is, but then again, a lot of things don't look as serious as they actually are in sports anymore).

Kris P Lettus
09-08-2008, 02:37 AM
If the rest of the season plays out like today did, the NFC will be the conference to beat once again..

Panthers over Bolts
Bears over Colts
Dallas over Cleveland

I dunno, the NFC is pretty stout this year and now with Brady out, that pretty much makes the Pats a long shot to even make the playoffs..

Weird week one..

Kris P Lettus
09-08-2008, 02:39 AM
a lot of things don't look as serious as they actually are in sports anymore

When Deuce tore his ACL last year he walked off the field and then walked back out on the sideline to watch the rest of the game walking around the whole time.. Total shock when I found out he was out for the season..

darkpower
09-08-2008, 03:29 AM
If the rest of the season plays out like today did, the NFC will be the conference to beat once again..

Panthers over Bolts
Bears over Colts
Dallas over Cleveland

I dunno, the NFC is pretty stout this year and now with Brady out, that pretty much makes the Pats a long shot to even make the playoffs..

Weird week one..

Well, the Steelers won today, so SOMETHING was right with the world...

...then again, they were playing the Texans, so....

Supreme Olajuwon
09-08-2008, 04:06 PM
If the world was right the Steelers would pull a Marshall on their next road trip.

RP
09-08-2008, 06:04 PM
lol

Reavant
09-08-2008, 06:06 PM
Bills will win the east now

Team Sheep
09-08-2008, 06:15 PM
Jets.

UmbrellaCorporation
09-08-2008, 07:10 PM
If the world was right the Steelers would pull a Marshall on their next road trip.

I feel bad for laughing, but ROFL

darkpower
09-09-2008, 02:18 AM
It's now official:

Brady out for season (http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/reiss_pieces/2008/09/bill_belichick_7.html)

Email (http://javascript%3Cb%3E%3C/b%3E:openWindow%28%27http://tools.boston.com/pass-it-on?story_url=http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/reiss_pieces/2008/09/bill_belichick_7.html%27,%27mailit%27,%27scrollbars,resizable,width=770,height=450%27%29;)|Link (http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/reiss_pieces/2008/09/bill_belichick_7.html)|Comments (84) (http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/reiss_pieces/2008/09/bill_belichick_7.html#comments)
Posted by Mike Reiss, Globe Staff
September 8, 2008 04:03 PM

The worst fears of the Patriots and their fans were confirmed this afternoon when the team announced that quarterback Tom Brady would miss the rest of the season with an injury to his left knee. He will be placed on injured reserve.

“We feel badly for Tom about the injury,” Belichick said during his opening remarks at a 3 p.m. press conference. “You hate to see anyone go down. Nobody has worked harder and done more for this team than Tom has. So it’s a tough setback for him.”

Belichick did not specify the injury to Brady’s left knee, saying the team has passed along all the information it knows.

Brady was injured at the 7:27 mark of the first quarter Sunday. On the Patriots' 15th offensive play of the game, Brady dropped back from the Kansas City 43. Chiefs safety Bernard Pollard blitzed, but was picked up and put face down by running back Sammy Morris.

As the 2007 NFL Most Valuable Player stepped into a 28-yard completion to Randy Moss, Pollard made a desperation dive at Brady's legs, his shoulder crashing into the quarterback's left knee. Pollard later said he heard Brady screaming as he clutched the knee. He limped to the locker room and was replaced by backup Matt Cassel.

Belichick was asked what type of message he would pass along to the team about Brady’s situation.

“I think we all just have to do our jobs,” he said. “That’s what every player has to do. Each guy has a job to do – a coach, a player, they have a job to do – and they need to do it as well as they can. Really, that doesn’t change. He played one position, he played it very well, and there will be somebody else playing that position now. I have a lot of confidence in Matt and everybody else to do their job, just like they always like, like they always need to.”

The players already seemed to be getting the message.

"We've won a lot of football games around here," said linebacker Mike Vrabel, a captain. "That's not going to change."

Defensive end Ty Warren noted how experts seem to be counting out the Patriots already.

"I'll say this: Any person with their back against the wall, and when there's doubt out there against you, you seem to try to fight your way out of that," Warren said.

Belichick praised Cassell, a fourth-year pro from Southern Cal who threw 18 of his 57 career passes against the Chiefs.

"Matt has grown up through the system," Belichick said. "He's expanded his knowledge of the offense as the offense has expanded through the years. He ran it a lot in preseason this year, and of course, in training camp from the time that Tom missed.

"I think he's capable of handling himself in a lot of different situations because he's been through them. It's not just chalk talk, it's actually going out there and doing it on the field and doing it in practice situations. I think he showed that yesterday, that he can go out there and manage the game and manage the team."

When asked if he thought Pollard's hit on Brady was dirty, Belichick said:

“Well, it doesn’t really matter what I think. The officials officiate the game. I’m sure they’ll handle it. We always taught our players that it’s their responsibility to hit the quarterback above the knees and below the shoulders.

“You look at the Vince Wilfork play last year against Buffalo [in Week 3]. It’s not the same, but there are some similarities.
Wilfork was fined $12,500 for a low hit to the left knee of Buffalo Bills quarterback J.P. Losman Sept. 23 at Gillette Stadium.

The NFL has deemed the Pollard hit legal. (http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/reiss_pieces/2008/09/nfl_pollard_hit.html)

Belichick dismissed reports that the Patriots are working out free-agent quarterbacks Chris Simms and Tim Rattay today. He said the team has no plans to do so at this time.

Belichick did not rule out the possibility that the team could add a third quarterback.

DrA
09-09-2008, 02:32 AM
God damnit darkpower this is terrible news.

U-Warrior
09-09-2008, 02:44 AM

LOL come on

Settle down there, guy. They still have a mad talented roster, the best system in the NFL, a quarterback that knows the system through and through, and a brilliant coach. They've been weakened, but calling them a longshot to make the playoffs is stretching it, I'm afraid.

Despite the improvements Buffalo and New York have made, the Pats are still going to be the favorites going in.

Supreme Olajuwon
09-09-2008, 02:47 AM
Still funny though that next week Matt Cassell will be starting his first game since he was in high school.

D Mac
09-09-2008, 03:28 AM
You're welcome, Pats haters.

darkpower
09-09-2008, 06:10 PM
You know, not to really sound too mean about this, but part of me is hoping his career IS over because of said injury (I know I said different earlier, but even then, part of me was wishing that).

Before you say "How could you even wish that", let me explain why:

Brady has been this "media darling" that can do no wrong and can never make bad plays (see "Super Bowl XLII" for proof of a BAD game from Brady). He's the "face of the NFL". No, Joe Nameth is a NFL face. Vince Lombardi is a NFL face. Terry Bradshaw, Brett Farve, Dan Marino, John Madden, THEY are NFL faces because they have been around football more years than Brady has been ALIVE and have given more to the game than Brady ever HAS or probably WILL. Having him injured for the season, possibly his career, would FINALLY force the media to talk about someone else.
Since Brady has been a QB, the Pats, especially its coach, have been rather cocky, wanting for other people to suck their dicks. Now that Brady is injured, they need to find another reason to back up their words.

Yeah, it's bad for me to say it, but then again, in the back of alot of people's minds, they're probably having a reason WHY they think the same thing.

Kris P Lettus
09-09-2008, 06:14 PM
LOL come on

Settle down there, guy. They still have a mad talented roster, the best system in the NFL, a quarterback that knows the system through and through, and a brilliant coach. They've been weakened, but calling them a longshot to make the playoffs is stretching it, I'm afraid.

Despite the improvements Buffalo and New York have made, the Pats are still going to be the favorites going in.

Still funny though that next week Matt Cassell will be starting his first game since he was in high school.

Savio
09-10-2008, 12:02 AM
The curse rings true

Nervous Ferret
09-10-2008, 12:12 AM
I wish he didn't get hurt. Makes me feel so bad. And then if the Jetd actually do somehing maningful it will just be 'oh but the pats didn't have Tom Brady'

Skippord
09-10-2008, 12:13 AM
You're welcome, Pats haters.
finally the chefs do something

darkpower
09-10-2008, 03:11 AM
Finally, the Pats will have to go to another strategy other than watch a tape of every NFL coach's hand signals.

Mr. Monday Morning
09-10-2008, 07:37 AM
You know, not to really sound too mean about this, but part of me is hoping his career IS over because of said injury (I know I said different earlier, but even then, part of me was wishing that).

Before you say "How could you even wish that", let me explain why:

Brady has been this "media darling" that can do no wrong and can never make bad plays (see "Super Bowl XLII" for proof of a BAD game from Brady). He's the "face of the NFL". No, Joe Nameth is a NFL face. Vince Lombardi is a NFL face. Terry Bradshaw, Brett Farve, Dan Marino, John Madden, THEY are NFL faces because they have been around football more years than Brady has been ALIVE and have given more to the game than Brady ever HAS or probably WILL. Having him injured for the season, possibly his career, would FINALLY force the media to talk about someone else.
Since Brady has been a QB, the Pats, especially its coach, have been rather cocky, wanting for other people to suck their dicks. Now that Brady is injured, they need to find another reason to back up their words.

Yeah, it's bad for me to say it, but then again, in the back of alot of people's minds, they're probably having a reason WHY they think the same thing.

They'll just talk about Favre some more. Then he retires, if Brady doesn't come back it'll be Peyton Manning and how he might possibly break Favre's records. And then someone else will come along.

Kris P Lettus
09-10-2008, 12:34 PM
Oh yeah ans Fignuts, that "best system in the NFL" runs on the fact that Brady is awesome.. If you think QB is a "plug and play" position, especially in that system, you have no idea what you are talking about..

Gertner
09-10-2008, 01:39 PM
Pats will be fine. All they need is for Cassel to be efficient. They have a talented enough defence and a solid group of receivers to win the East and contend. When Brady won his first Super Bowl he wasn't spectacular, just efficient, which is why I am not writing them off.

Kris P Lettus
09-10-2008, 01:41 PM
They might go 8-8...

Gertner
09-10-2008, 01:54 PM
They play in a God awful division. They'll finish at least 10-6.

Supreme Olajuwon
09-10-2008, 08:57 PM
I don't think God awful is fair. Granted the Pats have been head and shoulders above the rest of the teams in the East but that doesn't mean the Jets and Bills are bad teams.

It's not like the two West divisions.

Gertner
09-11-2008, 01:15 AM
Bills collapse against any good team. And the Jets......I'm not sold of them based off a win against the worst team in the AFC

darkpower
09-11-2008, 01:17 AM
One of those losses will be from the Steelers (because they got a real solid team at the moments, unless an injury befalls them) or the Jets.

The Pats players have to step it up because they have a guy who hasn't been in this kind of position that often if at all.

Kris P Lettus
09-11-2008, 01:32 AM
Wouldn't surprise me at all in the Bills win the east..

VonErichLives
09-11-2008, 09:52 AM
Wouldn't surprise me at all in the Bills win the east..

would it suprise you if they didn't?

I'm just trying to figure out if you're predicting the bills to win the east or say "they might" as in "So could the Pats or Jets" hence picking 3 of 4 teams...

I don't see the Bills winning the division.

The Jets might, but I'm still confident on the "gun slinger" to make big int's in big games...

So, I'm still going Pats... I'd feel less confident w/o Moss, but Moss and Welker can make almost any QB look decent.

I'm still concerned about the defensive backfield though...

Supreme Olajuwon
09-11-2008, 11:04 AM
Bills collapse against any good team. And the Jets......I'm not sold of them based off a win against the worst team in the AFC
And the Pats winning by 7 against the second worst team in the AFC makes you feel all warm and fuzzy?

BigDaddyCool
09-11-2008, 11:41 AM
Go Chiefs!

http://www.nflfootballstadiums.com/images/Kansas-City-Chiefs-Logo.gif

I'm just trying to get Deisel Mac to rep me.

Kris P Lettus
09-11-2008, 12:42 PM
would it suprise you if they didn't?

I'm just trying to figure out if you're predicting the bills to win the east or say "they might" as in "So could the Pats or Jets" hence picking 3 of 4 teams...

I don't see the Bills winning the division.

The Jets might, but I'm still confident on the "gun slinger" to make big int's in big games...

So, I'm still going Pats... I'd feel less confident w/o Moss, but Moss and Welker can make almost any QB look decent.

I'm still concerned about the defensive backfield though...

I've clearly said the Pats aren't gonna make the playoffs, so why would they be in the discussion?? The Dolphin will be better this year but they to won't make the playoffs.. I kinda thought me saying it wouldn't surprise me if the Bills made it, was an obvious comparison of their play to the Jets, due to both teams being contenders from that division..

I thought that was kinda clear..

Jesus Shuttlesworth
09-12-2008, 11:59 PM
Finally, the Pats will have to go to another strategy other than watch a tape of every NFL coach's hand signals.
lol what? What does Brady getting injured have to do with that?

Kris P Lettus
09-22-2008, 11:03 AM
Two weeks later and yeah, even being 2-1 and even with

a mad talented roster, the best system in the NFL, a quarterback that knows the system through and through, and a brilliant coach

They are not going to make the playoffs.. I'll be willing to bet my avatar for a month, if they make the playoffs..

Anyone??

U-Warrior
09-24-2008, 11:36 PM
Well, the Jets offense isn't meshing with farve that well yet, miami isn't a contender despite their victory over the Pat's.

And I would say that Buffalo will take it, but as a Bills fan for over 20 years, I can tell you that they invent ways to lose, and miss playoff oppurtunities.

And the remainder of New England's schedule isn't that tough.

Not saying they are going to make it, but I'm not going to count them out either.

Y2Ant
09-25-2008, 11:23 AM
As good as Brady is, the Patriots are hardly a one man team. So basically what i'm saying is, don't write them off just yet.

Team Sheep
09-25-2008, 12:17 PM
Lol I can see it now. The Patriots, somehow, someway will stumble into the playoffs, stealing wins here and there and snatch the last wild card spot with like a 9-7 record or something. Then Brady pulls a Cena, and is back for the playoffs, and leads the team to win the Super Bowl.

Would be kinda ironic what with last year's Patriots being the apparent 'greatest team of all time' but failed to win it all and then they go and do that!

Y2Ant
09-25-2008, 05:30 PM
Also it works because Cena is a Patriots fan and everyone hates both of them.

Supreme Olajuwon
09-27-2008, 01:09 PM
Also because the NFL is fixed. :shifty:

Y2Ant
10-02-2008, 05:16 PM
And Cena only wins because he steals his opponents signals :o

Kris P Lettus
10-02-2008, 05:28 PM
Well, the Jets offense isn't meshing with farve that well yet

Favre has the highest passer rating of any QB this season..

Y2Ant
10-02-2008, 05:59 PM
Well he did post that before the Jets raped the Cards to be fair.

Kris P Lettus
10-02-2008, 06:47 PM
I posted that without Brady, the Pats would be shit before they got distroyed by the Dolphins..

:-\

Y2Ant
10-02-2008, 08:02 PM
Well played, son.

RP
10-07-2008, 07:16 PM
Woo Woooooooo!

Jeritron
10-08-2008, 03:18 PM
RP, look at the Colts this year WITH Peyton

Big Fat Mike
10-09-2008, 11:45 AM
Thats not fair. There's no BOB SANDERS

Kris P Lettus
10-09-2008, 11:58 AM
Brady had surgery on his knee..

RP
10-10-2008, 06:11 AM
okkk

RP
10-10-2008, 06:11 AM
I'm pretty sure the Colts will win the Superbowl this year.

Jeritron
10-17-2008, 11:17 AM
lol

U-Warrior
10-19-2008, 10:39 PM
Brady apparently had to go back into surgery, as there is an infection where he previously had the work done.

Kris P Lettus
10-20-2008, 11:47 AM
Yeah, that was like Wed of last week..