PDA

View Full Version : Would you buy an updated version of WWF No Mercy over the current wrestling titles?

Kenny
09-15-2008, 08:24 PM
Suppose that THQ / AKI got the okay to re-release WWF No Mercy with these minor changes.

An updated Roster (Including the old Roster and some legends)
Current Storylines for Season mode.
Updated Championships
Cage / Memory bug fixed
Updated Arenas
Slight update on the graphics.
Some basic match type additions like Hell in a Cell or TLC.

Now suppose that you had to choose to pick between the updated WWE No Mercy and the upcoming Smackdown title or TNA Impact. Which would you choose?

I'd choose the updated No Mercy for several reasons, and I suspect that hardcore wrestling gamers would do the same.

Here's why...

The most important aspect of a wrestling game is the engine, and the No Mercy engine worked really well.
While graphics are nice, toned down entrances and less character detail could mean a larger roster. I'd like to see a game with 300 wrestlers or so, past and present; catagorized by generation.
The simplicity of WWE No Mercy made it fun, and while I appreciate a ton of features I appreciate a good match even more.

Destor
09-15-2008, 08:28 PM
No Mercy with ease. I would also accept a new Fire Pro.

Destor
09-15-2008, 08:29 PM
But for the record Fire Pro was the last great wrestling game, but No Mercy was great as well.

NeanderCarl
09-15-2008, 08:31 PM
I'd certainly buy an updated No Mercy over SvR'09 or Impact (both of which I'll probably end up buying anyways). I'd probably buy Legends of WrestleMania over No Mercy Mk II though.

Juan
09-15-2008, 09:35 PM
Updated No Mercy for sure. I've never liked the Smackdown! engine.

Kane Knight
09-15-2008, 09:47 PM
Kenny: Asking the tough questions that have been the subject of discussion since 1993.

Part of the Joey Radd news group.

OssMan
09-15-2008, 10:18 PM
Yes and I don't give a shit about wrestling anymore

DS
09-15-2008, 10:37 PM
Depends on the price and the extent of the graphics update.

Funky Fly
09-15-2008, 10:40 PM
It'd have to be a pretty heavy update. I've heard those King of Colosseum games are pretty much just that.

Blitz
09-16-2008, 01:56 AM
In a heartbeat.

U-Warrior
09-16-2008, 02:00 AM
It'd have to be a pretty heavy update. I've heard those King of Colosseum games are pretty much just that.

Nah, you're thinking of wrestle kingdom. King of Colosseum is a much deeper version of the fire pro engine, and just happens to be my favorite wrestling game ever.

BigDaddyCool
09-16-2008, 10:34 AM
I would

Savio
09-16-2008, 10:41 AM
yeah all I'd like is an updated roster/moves. I could go with or with out music.

Dave Youell
09-16-2008, 10:50 AM
Fuck yeah I'd get it. Changes or not, I loved that game

Dark-Slicer Diago
09-16-2008, 11:29 AM
I would definitly buy this, should it ever happen that is.

NeanderCarl
09-16-2008, 12:17 PM
As good as it was, mind, it seems a lot slower when I play it today than it did when I'd play back in the day. I think a lot of people have fond memories of No Mercy based on the timing of the release as well. It was an exciting and popular period to be a wrestling fan, and I'd play this game in the sixth form common room of my school with about 20 other guys, playing Royal Rumbles and passing the controller round after elimination. Good days, fond memories.

Yeah, any rerelease would have to speed the game up quite a lot.

Also, I wouldn't say No Mercy was the LAST great wrestling game. Here Comes The Pain probably deserves that distinction.

NeanderCarl
09-16-2008, 12:20 PM
No Mercy was also released the same month I joined TPWW forums. :D

#BROKEN Hasney
09-16-2008, 12:34 PM
Roster, moves and matches.

You wouldn't even have to touch the graphics. Fuck, you could downgrade them and I would still pay £50 for it.

Lord-Of-Darkness
09-16-2008, 12:36 PM
TBH I'd be happy with Smackdown with No Mercys gameplay, CAW and season.

By that I mean that I'd happily keep the SD graphics, match types and modes.

NeanderCarl
09-16-2008, 12:40 PM
One of my favourite elements of the old AKI N64 games was the ability to modify or even totally overhaul each character. You could edit their names, theme songs, attire, colours, moveset, bodyparts, faces... everything. The only downside was you had to use pre-existing parts, but there was a vast array to choose from. If they could only introduce that into the SvR series, with the ability to actually create the parts yourself, it would be a start.

Xero
09-16-2008, 01:45 PM
I probably would, but I wouldn't pay more than $10...

SmackDown! stopped being GOOD at HCTP.

Fire Pro > AKI (WWF and WCW games) Engine > DoR Engine > SmackDown! Engine > Superstars > WrestleMania The Arcade Game/In Your House > LoW > Everything Else > WarZone/Attitude/ECW

Loose Cannon
09-16-2008, 02:30 PM
lol Warzone. I remember spending a day driving around stores searching for it.

Kenny
09-16-2008, 06:06 PM
I appreciate good graphics, but it complicates CAW. It took me almost no time at all to create very good character models for about 30 wrestlers on Fire Pro Wrestling because the character models were simple. On Smackdown vs Raw, I can play around with a character model for an eternity and still feel like I have to alter a body part or change a face.

If they didn't update the graphics for No Mercy and added to the CAW mode so you could create almost anyone, the game would transcend time. Because of the cheesy entrances and the cartoon-like graphics, you could have an almost unimaginable roster. Perhaps it would even allow for more wrestlers on screen at once, like maybe 8?

Imagine having an 8 man Money in the Bank ladder match with the No Mercy engine.

I'd also like to see more moves in the game, most of which are universal. For example...

On PS2 / PS3

L1 = Basic Grapple Button (Body slam, Suplexes, Arm Drags, etc...)
L2 = Class Specific Grapple (Grapples based on weight class)
R1 = Submission / Grapple Button (Sleeper Holds, Headlocks, Repeated strikes)
R2 = Character Specific Grapple (Signature moves exclusive to each superstar)

Being able to either tap or hold each of those buttons would give each wrestler 40 grapple moves from the front, plus finishers.

DrA
09-16-2008, 06:19 PM
The thing that bothered me about No Mercy was that they made Steven Richards a main eventer. Steven Richards is not a main eventer.

Evil Vito
09-16-2008, 06:35 PM
The thing that bothered me about No Mercy was that they made Steven Richards a main eventer. Steven Richards is not a main eventer.

<font color=goldenrod>Yeah it was fucked up. The whole idea was to get someone in as a replacement for Big Show...but they could have used Mark Henry, Viscera, or Rikishi for him so you'd at least have the challenge of wrestling a guy in the top weight class.

But yeah, No Mercy ruled even though my copy had the bug. Spent hours on the title modes. And creating PPVs and watching them played out between the CPU on the higest difficulty was hilarious cos it was just one reversal after another.

I'd buy it.</font>