PDA

View Full Version : Cage match from last night...Probably spoilers...

Kane Knight
09-16-2008, 04:09 PM
Anyone else think that should have been a fucking PPV match?

I mean, really. That was one of the best match I've seen in recent history, and it had basically all the bits I wanted to see in a cage match, save for being a TV-length match. I loved the early escape attempts, the Walls of Jericho escape attempt, and even the turnbuckle tease at a Go 2 Sleeeeeeep.

:y:

KingofOldSchool
09-16-2008, 04:13 PM
Anyone else think that should have been a fucking PPV match?

I mean, really. That was one of the best match I've seen in recent history, and it had basically all the bits I wanted to see in a cage match, save for being a TV-length match. I loved the early escape attempts, the Walls of Jericho escape attempt, and even the turnbuckle tease at a Go 2 Sleeeeeeep.

:y:

Hell it should have been on LAST on the show, not opening.

Plus the finish should have been the Walls escape out of the cage spot, only for Orton or someone slam the door on Punk and have Jericho walk out of the cage door over Punk's limp body.

Loose Cannon
09-16-2008, 04:13 PM
yea, great match. Having two great workers at the top is a plus. Did the ending look sloppy to you? I thought the idea was cool to have them headbut and Jericho go out, but it looked odd. I dunno.

Loose Cannon
09-16-2008, 04:14 PM
yea and I thought Orton would make an appearence as well. I was really surprised he didn't to be honest.

Team Sheep
09-16-2008, 04:14 PM
Well they needed something huge to kick off the show to stop people from just flicking straight back over to MNF with that Cowboys/Eagles game. Wise booking to start with that I think.

BigDaddyCool
09-16-2008, 04:15 PM
I missed it because I figured wrestling sucks.

Xero
09-16-2008, 04:16 PM
Really awesome match. Really fresh compared to a lot of the other stuff in WWE right now.

Loved the finish.

KingofOldSchool
09-16-2008, 04:20 PM
yea and I thought Orton would make an appearence as well. I was really surprised he didn't to be honest.

I really hated how they didn't have Punk confront Orton/Generation Next.

You know with Orton giving him a concussion and costing him the World Title, you'd think he would want revenge.

BigDaddyCool
09-16-2008, 04:21 PM
You would think that, but you forget, CM Punk is a little guy in WWE and is a failed champion, therefore he gets pushed to the back burner.

BigDaddyCool
09-16-2008, 04:22 PM
BTW, I'm not saying it is Punks fault he is a failed champion.

Loose Cannon
09-16-2008, 04:24 PM
yea, I don't know what the fuck they are doing with all that. For a minute last night, I thought Orton was turning face when he did that promo on JBL. Then I thought JBL might be turning face. Then Santino came out and I was like "wtf, who's the heel here?"

I'm sure they are just slowly building it until Orotn is 100%

Kane Knight
09-16-2008, 04:33 PM
Hell it should have been on LAST on the show, not opening.

Plus the finish should have been the Walls escape out of the cage spot, only for Orton or someone slam the door on Punk and have Jericho walk out of the cage door over Punk's limp body.

I agree. I thought it was the end of the show and my DDVR had fucked up at first. It makes little sense.

Well they needed something huge to kick off the show to stop people from just flicking straight back over to MNF with that Cowboys/Eagles game. Wise booking to start with that I think.

Except once that was over, there was nothing to sustain it. S obasically, you just made it easier to tune out. Worst Case Scenario, they'd feel obligated to tune in for the last three minutes.

KingofOldSchool
09-16-2008, 04:35 PM
yea, I don't know what the fuck they are doing with all that. For a minute last night, I thought Orton was turning face when he did that promo on JBL. Then I thought JBL might be turning face. Then Santino came out and I was like "wtf, who's the heel here?"

I'm sure they are just slowly building it until Orotn is 100%

And then Batista came out...and I still wasn't sure who was the heel.

Team Sheep
09-16-2008, 04:58 PM
Except once that was over, there was nothing to sustain it. S obasically, you just made it easier to tune out. Worst Case Scenario, they'd feel obligated to tune in for the last three minutes.

Well there's really no right way of doing it either way is there. If it was at the end of the show then people would have just flicked over to see just that match at the end, totally missing the first hour and 45 minutes. By putting it on first atleast there's hope that people may stick with the rest of the show. I think it was better that way.

KingofOldSchool
09-16-2008, 05:24 PM
Well there's really no right way of doing it either way is there. If it was at the end of the show then people would have just flicked over to see just that match at the end, totally missing the first hour and 45 minutes. By putting it on first atleast there's hope that people may stick with the rest of the show. I think it was better that way.

But in order to draw interest in the rest of the show, something would have needed to happen in order to draw said interest.

There was nothing after the cage match that drew any interest for someone to tune into the rest of the show. Well unless someone REALLY wanted to watch the Rey/Kane match.

Think of it in fishing terms. Viewers are the fish, they want to reel us in for the whole show. They use a strong hook and bait (Jericho/Punk in a cage for the title), yet they forgot to add a strong line. If they had something strong happen during or right after the cage match, then there would be interest in the rest of the show.

Look back to win Punk won the title. It opened the show and it was totally unexpected and fresh. It wasn't Cena, HHH, or Batista winning the title. It was a fresh face who happens to be popular. The had everything the WWE could want in a strong opening segment. It reeled in fans for the rest of the show.

While Punk/Jericho was an excellent match, nothing happened that would make a fan go "Oh man I have to watch the rest of the show to see what happens!" It's not a knock on either men as the obviously delivered the goods, it's just there wasn't a strong angle for the rest of the show.

Ohhhh "Who is the #1 Contender!" yeah that isn't anything new and you could see it being either HBK or Contra Code Dave a mile away.

Team Sheep
09-16-2008, 05:44 PM
But in order to draw interest in the rest of the show, something would have needed to happen in order to draw said interest.

There was nothing after the cage match that drew any interest for someone to tune into the rest of the show. Well unless someone REALLY wanted to watch the Rey/Kane match.

Think of it in fishing terms. Viewers are the fish, they want to reel us in for the whole show. They use a strong hook and bait (Jericho/Punk in a cage for the title), yet they forgot to add a strong line. If they had something strong happen during or right after the cage match, then there would be interest in the rest of the show.

Look back to win Punk won the title. It opened the show and it was totally unexpected and fresh. It wasn't Cena, HHH, or Batista winning the title. It was a fresh face who happens to be popular. The had everything the WWE could want in a strong opening segment. It reeled in fans for the rest of the show.

While Punk/Jericho was an excellent match, nothing happened that would make a fan go "Oh man I have to watch the rest of the show to see what happens!" It's not a knock on either men as the obviously delivered the goods, it's just there wasn't a strong angle for the rest of the show.

Ohhhh "Who is the #1 Contender!" yeah that isn't anything new and you could see it being either HBK or Contra Code Dave a mile away.

Well that's just a matter of opinion really isn't it. Someone else might have been so into that match that it got them into the show and wanted to carry on watching. What one person thinks is exciting may be different to another. As I said I hardly think there's a right or wrong way of doing it. Some will keep watching, some will tune out. That's life. You really can't expect WWE to be able to genuinely compete with MNF in this day and age, especially with a game like last night.

Dorkchop
09-16-2008, 06:48 PM
The cage match was awesome, but too short. I understand with it being the opening match and on tv, but it still would have been nice if they had another 10 minutes. However it was probably the best cage match I've seen in years. They had some good spots and nothing was really over the top.

I wouldn't say the ending was sloppy... It just kind of came out of nowhere. I still liked it though. There was no interference and no one came out of that match looking weak. Orton interfering would have made sense, but I'm glad it didn't happen. Sometimes heels need to win cleanly.

Mr. Nerfect
09-16-2008, 10:22 PM
I am yet to see the actual match, but it sounds good. That being said, I definitely think it was way too early to go to the Steel Cage with these guys, and I also feel that Punk getting his rematch should have had more build, to add drama to the boot Orton gave him. Randy costing Punk the match would have been cool, too. Lance Cade, Randy Orton, Manu, Cody Rhodes and Ted DiBiase all being out there would have been really cool, with perhaps Batista, Shawn Michaels, Kofi Kingston and Cryme Tyme coming out to even the odds (when the eventual cage match took place).

But yes, it should have been on PPV.

DaVe
09-17-2008, 03:45 AM
I gotta say, I'm actually quite happy to see you watching and discussing wrestling again, KK.

Mr. Nerfect
09-17-2008, 04:38 AM
I'm surprised he didn't make hundreds of unfunny and unfounded "heroin" jokes in his post.