PDA

View Full Version : DISCUSSION - What exactly do you want to see with the new Roster Split?

Heyman
03-21-2004, 08:28 PM
DISCUSSION - What exactly do you want to see with the new Roster Split?

For those of you who have had the (dis?)pleasure of reading my posts and threads on here on a regular basis, will know damn well that I will experience and erection of the penis this Monday when the new rosters are set.

The question that I have, is what exactly do you want to see? Should Raw (or Smackdown) become the 'A' show (where all of the top stars compete on that particular show), whereas the other show becomes the 'B' show? (almost like the old Sunday Night Heat.......where up-coming stars are built up. Once they are ready and are 'over', they can move to the 'A' show and receive an immediate push to capitalize on the momentum).

If the rosters do stay 'balanced', would you like to see a unified World Champion?.......a Champion that appears on both shows? I have talked about this to death in the past, and so I won't go into a lengthy description here.

How about certain feuds that you are looking forward to? An RVD vs. Billy Kidman feud could help re-vitalize both men's careers. Jericho vs. Angle could be solid as well. Orton vs. Cena could very well be the next The Rock vs. Triple H.

Regardless of what happens with the roster split, here is what I would like to see happen

<font color=white>1) Rob Van Dam needs to be put in a position to "main-event" on whatever show he gets put on</font>
-With guys like Brock Lesnar, Goldberg, and perhaps even Kurt Angle (re-aggrivated neck injury?) all out of action, the WWE needs new stars to emerge. A re-push of RVD would be key. Whether he gets pushed and built up as a face, or becomes a cocky heel like he was in ECW, RVD needs to be a main-eventer. Prefereably, I'd like to see him on the same show as <font color=yellow>Eddie Guerrero</font>. Whether both men are faces or heels, I think the two men could really put on a series of great matches. This could be one of the greatest and most entertaining rivalries in recent memories.

<font color=white>2) John Cena and Randy Orton on the same show</font>

-Like I've alluded to many times in the past, I think a Cena/Orton feud could be the equivalent of The Rock/Triple H feud from 1998 (i.e. where both men ultimately get elevated from the feud regardless of who goes 'over').

<font color=white>3) Keep Undertaker and Kane on separate shows</font>
Unless you are a moron who occassionally likes to have sex with men, I do not need to elaborate on this topic. Taker vs. Kane have been done to death. Kane always ends up looking inferior to Taker when they are together. At a time when the WWE needs new main-event stars, Kane needs to look credible.

<font color=white>4) Add Matt Hardy, Spike Dudley, and the Hurricane to the Cruiserweight Division</font>: It's obvious that the WWE don't have a f</>ucking clue on how to push Matt Hardy. Put him in the CW division to give the division credibility. Make him a face or something. Put him back with Lita. Once he gets over again, then push him somewhere else.

Here is my suggested roster split idea...........make one show full of "main-event virgins", while the other show gets stacked with people who have been World Champions. This will help eliminate the glass ceiling.

Basically - Smackdown's main guys will be people who haven't won the world title, but have a strong chance to one day. Raw's main guys however, will be stacked with guys who have been multiple World Champions (or have won the World title before).

<font color=blue>Smackdown</font>
-Eddie Guerrero (the only person on SD who has been world champ before)
-Kane (I won't count Kane's one day title reign in 1998)
-RVD
-Edge
-John Cena
-Randy Orton
-Dave Batista
-Booker T
-Christian w/Trish Stratus
-Matt Hardy/Hurricane/Spike Dudley (get put in the CW division)

<font color=red>Raw</font>
-Triple H
-Goldberg (if the WWE sign him).
-Shawn Michaels
-Stone Cold Steve Austin
-Undertaker
-Chris Jericho
-Big Show
-Chris Benoit
-Kurt Angle
-The Rock (when he appears)
-Mick Foley (when he appears)
-Ric Flair
-Brock Lesnar (if he ever comes back)
-Sable (with Brock and Vince no longer eating her out on Smackdown, she can move to Raw with the other women)
-Torrie/Dawn Marie/other women: Can move to Raw to compensate for the departures of the "CW's" from Raw.

<font color=green>Other than that, I'd like to see everything stay the same. </font>

Oh yeah.....I'd also do the following:

-Break up La Resistance: They are gay. I'd put them on separate shows and give them new gimmicks.

-Break up WGTT (Hass/Benjamin): Both men are talented wrestlers. With different gimmicks and identities, both men could become future stars on their respective shows.

-If the rosters are unbalanced in terms of #'s (the way I made it), then balance it out by sending a few mid-carders to the other show.

The CyNick
03-21-2004, 08:38 PM
Actually, I would say La Res and WGTT are the two best tag teams in the WWE right now, so why break them up?

I dont want to see one show become an "A" show and another a "B" show, because, well thats just dumb.

The point of the brand extension is create artificial competition and build two equal brands to run more shows and increase branded merch and so on.

In otherwords, the two shows have to be as close to equal as possible, with a mix of over guys and up and coming talents.

Who should be on what show is kinda irrelevant because its just basically drawing names, as long as the fueds are good on both shows, its all good.

The only real things that seem to be in cement is Eddie/Rey and Chavo on SD (which would likely mean all the CWs will stay on SD) due to the Hispanic thing. And Benoit has to stay on RAW because of the Edmonton PPV.

Note, I'd like to see a Unified Champion, but thats never going to happen.

Loose Cannon
03-21-2004, 08:42 PM
Yeah, and I seriously doubt Evolution will be broken up for the fact that they mentioned Evolution is probably going to break up 45 times on Raw.

HHHsucks929
03-21-2004, 08:45 PM
Chris Jericho and Christian are obviously going to end up on the same show. That feud ain't over. Cena and Orton won't be on the same show either, because the U.S. title and Intercontinental title won't be on the same show.

RAW:
Chris Benoit
Triple H
Shawn Michaels
John Cena
Undertaker
Kurt Angle
Big Show
Edge
Booker T
Paul Heyman

Smackdown!:
Eddie Guerrero
Chris Jericho
Rob Van Dam
Randy Orton
Kane
Ric Flair
Batista
Christian
Steve Austin
Eric Bischoff

Heyman
03-21-2004, 08:52 PM
Actually, I would say La Res and WGTT are the two best tag teams in the WWE right now, so why break them up?

La Res could stay together, but they need new gimmicks IMO. Their gimmicks are stale.

I dont want to see one show become an "A" show and another a "B" show, because, well thats just dumb.

The point of the brand extension is create artificial competition and build two equal brands to run more shows and increase branded merch and so on.

True, but the advantage of having a 'B' show, is that it forces/allows new stars to be created on the 'B' show. Once they have become established, they can get an immediate push on the 'A' show. Meanwhile, a guy from the 'A' show can get demoted to the 'B' show and help put over up-and-comers. The 'B' show will almost be like a two-hour Sunday Night Heat, but they will also have titles, etc.

I'm personally not too fond of the idea, but it's just food for thought I guess.

I'm much more in favor on my "make Smackdown composed of main-event virgins" idea.

In otherwords, the two shows have to be as close to equal as possible, with a mix of over guys and up and coming talents.

The disadvantage in doing that, is that it creates glass ceilings. In this day in age, it's very rare to see someone put over someone else. I think a major reason why the WWE started to 'go up' in popularity around 1998, is because the WWE HAD to create new stars. In a short time span, guys like Austin, Vince McMahon, Degeneration X, The Rock, Mankind, and Kane all became house hold names.

<font color=green>My main premise is that if Smackdown were to be composed of guys like Eddie Guerrero, RVD, Kane, Cena, Orton, Batista, and other "main-event virgins", then a whole bunch of these guys will get World title reigns within the next 2 or 3 years.....and subsequently, could become house hold names</font>

<font color=red>On Raw, you have guys like Ric Flair, Angle, HBK, Triple H, Chris Benoit, Chris Jericho, Big Show, and Taker........all of whom are multiple World Champions. Since all of these guys are "established" to some degree, I don't think anyone will complain when it comes time to jobbing. </font>

Heyman
03-21-2004, 08:57 PM
Yeah, and I seriously doubt Evolution will be broken up for the fact that they mentioned Evolution is probably going to break up 45 times on Raw.

I wouldn't mind seeing Evolution break up. Triple H and Flair can go out on their own, while Orton and Batista can form their own Evolution on another show.

At a future date, Orton can make an interpromotional challenge to Triple H......and talk about how he is now better than his mentor!........or sum sh</>it.

Heyman
03-21-2004, 09:03 PM
Chris Jericho and Christian are obviously going to end up on the same show. That feud ain't over.

They can be put on different shows, but have one last (interpromotional) match to end the feud.

Cena and Orton won't be on the same show either, because the U.S. title and Intercontinental title won't be on the same show.

There is a rumor going around that all titles (except the world titles) could be vacated. I'd provide a source but I'm f</>ucking lazy and partially drunk to be quite honest.

I'll still go with what I said originally. <font color=white>I'd like to see one of the shows become full of 'main-event virgins'.........just as the WWE was in 1998 when Austin first became champ. </font>

In 98/99, Austin, Vince, The Rock, Triple H, Kane, Mankind, and a host of others all became much more well known and drawing powers to some extent. With the exception of Undertaker, NONE of these people had ever been world champ before.

With a crop of Guerrero, RVD, Booker T, Kane, Orton, Cena, Batista, etc. (all those I previously mentioned), I believe that the same thing can happen.

Loose Cannon
03-21-2004, 09:07 PM
I wouldn't mind seeing Evolution break up. Triple H and Flair can go out on their own, while Orton and Batista can form their own Evolution on another show.

At a future date, Orton can make an interpromotional challenge to Triple H......and talk about how he is now better than his mentor!........or sum sh</>it.

Nah, for me personally, I'd rather see a built of tension between Orton and HHH which would lead to Orton and Batista splitting from Flair and Trips. I think it would be much better that way then for Orton to just say he has become better then HHH ever was some time down the road when he gets big on the other show.

Heyman
03-21-2004, 09:13 PM
Nah, for me personally, I'd rather see a built of tension between Orton and HHH which would lead to Orton and Batista splitting from Flair and Trips. I think it would be much better that way then for Orton to just say he has become better then HHH ever was some time down the road when he gets big on the other show.

Yeah - that could be cool.

On an unrelated note, I just get an erection of the penis when I think about the idea of having guys like Guerrero, RVD, and Edge all competing for the SAME world title. All 3 of these men would have (or had) great chemistry with one another. Now throw a guy like Kidman into THAT the mix.....if he ever gets over.

Then you have Orton and Cena elevating each other.

Then on Raw, you have all of these 'big name' superstars.......a marks' dream. Angle, HBK, Flair, Jericho, Taker, etc., all going at one another on a regular basis.

BasicThuganomics
03-21-2004, 09:24 PM
If RVD ends up on Smackdown, and John Cena ends up on RAW...

I may have to like put you on my ignore list or something Heyman.

Tag Team division is really weak right now, so I think that WGTT definately should not break up at the moment. And La Resistance are at least a team with a real gimmick other than two jobbers who got stuck together. Maybe Conway should be split from them since he is awesome and capable of doing something on his own? Matt Hardy doesn't belong in the CW division at all. He is more than capable of making in the upper midcard and eventually main event someday. RVD to Smackdown is a good idea though because he has nowhere else to go really and breaking up him and Booker T as champs is good because it makes the draft seem more real for breaking up a championship team, and they really aren't a team that needs to stay together anyway. John Cena vs Orton really is a good idea, but I don't think that it is nessecary really. Both guys are more than capable of getting over by themselves. And the Rosters both need to appear as equal as possible IMO. I don't like your idea of having one show be better, or having one show have all of the multitime champs on it either. Kurt and Angle and HHH especially need to be on seperate shows in because they are the most credible main event heels the WWE has at the moment with Lesnar's departure. I think Evolution shouldn't be split though because I'm looking forward to seeing Orton take it over one day. Perhaps they talk to Vince and it seems that they worked out a deal with him to stay together on RAW or something?

PureHatred
03-21-2004, 09:30 PM
I seriously doubt that all the 'name' stars would go to one show simply from a business standpoint. You're a company with a two hour television show in primetime and you hve to sell it to advertisers as "the show with guys that casual fans won't recognize?" Not happening.

Personally, I think the brand extension is pretty solid and I'm hoping that there are just a few tweaks to balance out the lack of heels on Smackdown. Move and turn either Booker or RVD. Shawn O' Haire. Rene Dupree ( don't know why people don't see the genius of the "Irritating Frenchman with Poodle named Fifi" gimmick).

But no overhaul.

BasicThuganomics
03-21-2004, 09:33 PM
( don't know why people don't see the genius of the "Irritating Frenchman with Poodle named Fifi" gimmick).

I though fifi was hilarious!

Loose Cannon
03-21-2004, 09:36 PM
Yeah, La Resistance has really grown on me and has become my favorite tag team besides Jindrack and Cade.

Shaggy
03-21-2004, 09:37 PM
Like most of you I agree that maybe most the high flyer/ cruiserweight style wrestlers should be on one show. Hurricane, Matt Hardy possibly RVD people like that should be with the other cruiserweights so we can see a bigger cruiserweight division. We should have a bigger set of wrestlers that would make good tag teams. Im tired of seeing the same 4 tag teams each week. I dont think Kane and Taker should be on the same show because the whole buried you thing is old to me and they only did it for a little while. That is all I could think of now.

BasicThuganomics
03-21-2004, 09:41 PM
Well thanks to Conway, they are somewhat decent now. I think they should quit talking about the war and just be arrogant and gay like they were with fifi. Rene has become quite good on the mic actually i think? Altough if they are to be taken seriously they need to kick the shit outta stone cold....

Loose Cannon
03-21-2004, 09:46 PM
Well thanks to Conway, they are somewhat decent now. I think they should quit talking about the war and just be arrogant and gay like they were with fifi. Rene has become quite good on the mic actually i think? Altough if they are to be taken seriously they need to kick the shit outta stone cold....

Yeah, I was hoping that Conway and Sylvian would run out and help Rene when he was getting beat by Austin, but they never came.

PureHatred
03-21-2004, 09:47 PM
Considering his age ( he's like 20, I believe) Rene Dupree is amazing. The conceited Frenchman gimick is awesome. I can't wait to see him walk out with a beret and start talking like Pepe Le Pew.

And seriously, I think they should merge the tag belts and have the tag champs to defend on both shows. Of course, I think there should only be one "World Title" so what do I know?

The CyNick
03-21-2004, 10:15 PM
In order to make a new star, generally you need an established star to 'make' the new stars. If you put all these guys with no main event experience on the same show they look like "B" level talent, on a "B" level show, fighting for a "B" level title.

Austin needed HBK and Mike Tyson putting him over to make him a new star. Hunter and Rock both needed Foley (who needed Taker (who needed Hogan to get him over) to get him over) to get over to main event level. Later on Brock needed Rock and Taker to put him over (and then HHH to chop him down, but thats another tale). And most recently Benoit had Hunter putting him over.

There are very few cases where a guy gets over at main event level without being put over by an established star to legitimize them in the fans' eyes.

Cena-Orton might be a good fued (matches likely wouldn't be good), but they could fued for 3 years straight and its not going to make either guy a main event player. They would need established stars to put them over to make them stars. The connection to Rock-HHH is that Rock and HHH fueded throughout their careers, but their fued in itself didn't make them main eventers, it was their intercation with top guys, in particular with Foley.

PureHatred
03-21-2004, 10:27 PM
Nicely put. :y:

Volchok
03-21-2004, 10:29 PM
I for one.. since i cant see Smackdown and Orton and Jericho are my favorite wrestlers.. i hope they stay on Raw... even tho i will probily get screwd over and have one or the other got the Smackdown..but o well...

John la Rock
03-21-2004, 11:41 PM
Jericho, Christian and Trish need to be on the same show

I wouldn't mnd having Angle and Cena on Raw. Maybe a trade for RVD and Booker T? could work IMO

The CyNick
03-21-2004, 11:53 PM

I wouldn't mnd having Angle and Cena on Raw. Maybe a trade for RVD and Booker T? could work IMO

heel problem on SD, if Angle goes, it needs to be for HHH

BasicThuganomics
03-22-2004, 12:02 AM

I know that they said fueds would be ended, but I REALLY want to see the Jericho/Trish/Christian thing play out. This is the one fued in a long time that has been able to keep most of us interested over the past several months. I would love it if they all went to Smackdown maybe, because after this fued is over I would love to see Christian and Cena fued.

BasicThuganomics
03-22-2004, 12:03 AM
heel problem on SD, if Angle goes, it needs to be for HHH

I know they said Angle's injury isn't career ending but we still don't know how long it will take for him to get better do we? :(

loopydate
03-22-2004, 12:32 PM
This is how I divided up the rosters in another thread, but I'll post them here to bump my post count and to give Heyman's topic some love.

-EDIT-
I italicized the names of people I having moving from RAW to SmackDown or vice versa, just to make things easier.

RAW
Akio
A-Train
Danny Basham
Doug Basham
Batista
Chris Benoit
The Big Show
Eric Bischoff
Booker T
Bradshaw
Michael Cole
Bubba Ray Dudley
D-Von Dudley
Spike Dudley
Rene Dupree
Edge
Mick Foley
Funaki
Sylvan Grenier
Chavo Guerrero
Jon Heidenreich
Mark Henry
The Hurricane
Orlando Jordan
Kane
Billy Kidman
Jerry Lawler
Paul London
Theodore Long
Rodney Mack
Stephanie McMahon
Shawn Michaels
Shannon Moore
Matt Morgan
Rey Mysterio
Jamie Noble
Nova
Christopher Nowinski
Nunzio
Randy Orton
William Regal
Rico
Rikishi
The Rock
Rosey
Sakoda
Scotty 2 Hotty
Al Snow
Johnny Spade
Tajiri
Ultimo Dragon
The Undertaker

SmackDown!
Kurt Angle
Steve Austin
Shelton Benjamin
Garrison Cade
John Cena
Christian
Jonathan Coachman
Rob Conway
Dawn Marie
Bill DeMott
Nick Dinsmore
Tommy Dreamer
Ric Flair
Lilian Garcia
Eddie Guerrero
Billy Gunn
Charlie Haas
Matt Hardy
Paul Heyman
Hardcore Holly
Molly Holly
Ivory
Miss Jackie
Jacqueline
Jazz
Chris Jericho
Mark Jindrak
Stacy Keibler
Gail Kim
Lita
Maven
Shane McMahon
Nidia
Sean O'Haire
Chuck Palumbo
Rhyno
Steven Richards
Jim Ross
Sable
Shaniqua
Johnny Stamboli
Scott Steiner
Lance Storm
Trish Stratus
Terri
Tazz
Test
Triple H
Rob Van Dam
Val Venis
Victoria
Torrie Wilson

spd10000
03-22-2004, 01:05 PM
Great thread, and great responses. I was happy when McMahon announced the lottery last week, and I'm even more interested now.

The Mackem
03-22-2004, 01:07 PM
I'm glad you posted this Heyman because I was thinking about something in particular that I would like see happen.

I want all the tag teams to be separated or, if some are kept intact, only on one show, leaving the tag belts on one show vacant. I think it might make a decent TV taping, if they kept the two sets of titles but vacated one on, for arguments sake, Raw. They announce a big tag team tournament next week for the belts. This could lead to a few backstage skits of people like for instance Spike Dudley asking Big Show to be his partner etc.

This could result in the tag team division gaining in image especially if main eventers and lower card a like or involved. A whole Raw or Smackdown (or two episodes) devoted to the tag team division, is at least different.

Also I want to see one of the members of Evolution isolated from the rest. So, for example Randy Orton goes to Smackdown, while the rest are left on Raw. Orton would be resented by the rest of the Smackdown roster. This could lead to him either being a loner or on the flip side he could create his own new stable.

I also want Heyman to stay on Smackdown, purely for selfish reasons as I don't get to watch Raw :D

Try and keep the CW division in tact somehow. I dunno how they could do this without going cross promotional as I get the feeling that we're going to see the CW's on differnt shows :(

Change Smackdowns colour scheme :shifty:

tucsonspeed6
03-22-2004, 01:28 PM
Don't split La Resistance or WGTT. We're finally seeing a revitalization in the tag teams. Sure it will be a while before we see the era of E&C, the Hardys, and the Dudleys, but it's good that we're seeing something better than in the past when we saw singles wrestlers suddenly join together for a tag title run of a couple months because the WWE writers had nowhere to go with them. The tag team division is something completely different from the singles division, and it should be reserved for up and coming guys who still need to get over with the crouds. La Resistance and WGTT still haven't reached that point IMO, and there's nobody else to replace them as a new tag team. If they were to split, we'd just be forced to watch more Test and Steiner, RVD and Booker T, Rikishi and Scotty 2 Hotty, etc.

The CyNick
03-22-2004, 02:21 PM
I know they said Angle's injury isn't career ending but we still don't know how long it will take for him to get better do we? :(

He should be ready to go for the next SD PPV (in May) which is all the really matters.

SUPREMO
03-22-2004, 03:42 PM
I hope none of the tagteams split up because if they do it will be out of order on the tag team that it happens to. If the the people with the titles go to different show they should just swap belts so there no confusion but there will be some . Eg.If Chris Benoit whent to Smackdown and Eddie whent to raw they would just swap the smackdown belt for the raw belt.

Funky Fly
03-22-2004, 03:53 PM
More Ultimo Dragon.

spd10000
03-22-2004, 05:33 PM
More Ultimo Dragon.

PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEASSSSSSSSSE!!!!!!!! NOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Mackem
03-23-2004, 03:59 AM
Hmmmm if they change the colour scheme of Smackdown, I might be close...