PDA

View Full Version : I hate it when the villains get away scot free in a horror film

U-Warrior
11-07-2008, 01:09 AM
Dunno, I've always had kind of a strong sense of justice. So I don't like endings like house of 1,000 corpses, or chainsaw massacre.

Loved The Hills Have Eyes, cause even tho they do some fucked up shit, they get their collective asses stomped in the end, by that that guy and his dog.

Yes, discuss.

Jeritron
11-07-2008, 04:52 AM
That's why all movies have certain staples. Most people take exception to good not triumphing and what not.
Films basically all follow a structure, in that they reaffirm cultural values, even if they are unique and break the rules.

Even a movie like Psycho, that kills off who you think is the protagonist early on, and makes the killer into the protagonist that the audience can identify with and feel for, still ends conventionally.
He gets caught and good wins.

Loose Cannon
11-07-2008, 03:04 PM
Yea, sometimes I like it and sometimes I don't. I agree, Hills Have Eyes was awesome. If they had not done that ending, I would of been very dissapointed because of all the shit those creatures did in the beginning of the movie.

I watched The Descent the other day and I was so pissed when the final girl character remaining dreamed about getting out, but she woke up and was still in the cave But after a while, I actually liked the ending.

ct2k
11-07-2008, 03:09 PM
I've never been a huge fan of horror films, but to me when something is pure pulp I see no need for the villain to get away with it in the end, even if its losely based on real life events.

On the other hand when it comes to dramas and the like that are trying to be 'real' I hate romanticism of pretty much any kind. But its fine if the film is not portrayed as being realistic:y:

Kris P Lettus
11-07-2008, 03:09 PM
In House of 1,000 Corpses, the line between "good guy" and "villain" was non-existent.. All the Firefly family, Otis, and Captain Spaulding were kinda the anti-heroes.. I found myself pulling for them throughout the whole movie.. They kinda took that to the extreme (Vanilla Ice) in The Devil's Rejects..

:dunno:

Loose Cannon
11-07-2008, 03:24 PM
In House of 1,000 Corpses, the line between "good guy" and "villain" was non-existent.. All the Firefly family, Otis, and Captain Spaulding were kinda the anti-heroes.. I found myself pulling for them throughout the whole movie.. They kinda took that to the extreme (Vanilla Ice) in The Devil's Rejects..

:dunno:

I can see that point in Devil's Rejects about them being Anti-Heroes, but it 1000 Corpses, I saw them as 100% evil bad guys. Especially with the whole torture thing with that girl

Jeritron
11-07-2008, 03:31 PM
Yea, they were supposed to be. It was basically a shitty rehash of Texas Chainsaw Massacre.
Devils Rejects was much better

Jeritron
11-07-2008, 03:32 PM
I think sometimes it's effective in horror movies to let the villains get away, or at least hint at them still being a threat. That's what makes it stay scary

Kris P Lettus
11-07-2008, 07:09 PM
Yea, they were supposed to be. It was basically a shitty rehash of Texas Chainsaw Massacre.
Devils Rejects was much better

Basic storyline of TCM, but way too different to call it a rehash.. I mean, the original TCM didn't even have any blood in it, let alone a guy getting sewn together with a fish..

U-Warrior
11-07-2008, 07:13 PM
I think sometimes it's effective in horror movies to let the villains get away, or at least hint at them still being a threat. That's what makes it stay scary

Yeah, not saying its a flaw, or anything. It's just my personal preference. Was just wondering if I was alone in that thought

Fox
11-07-2008, 07:42 PM
I dunno. "A Nightmare on Elm Street" ends with Krueger still alive, and that's like one of the greatest horror films of all time, imo. Michael Meyers gets away at the end of the first Halloween, too.

U-Warrior
11-07-2008, 07:46 PM
Well thats a little bit different, because there are survivors. And the villain did get beat in the end. Just not killed. I can take that. I just dislike it when they kill everyone, and its over. The end.

Jeritron
11-07-2008, 09:40 PM
What about when they get theres, and are killed, but the damage they did is so disturbing it doesn't give satisfaction?

I'm thinking Se7en

Loose Cannon
11-07-2008, 10:30 PM
now there's a movie I have not seen and I'm glad you posted that because I've wanted to see it. I'll have to rent that one

XL
11-07-2008, 10:42 PM
LC, you haven't seen Se7en?

Loose Cannon
11-07-2008, 10:50 PM
nope.

Kris P Lettus
11-07-2008, 11:55 PM
I watched it the other night..

Bad ass movie..

XL
11-09-2008, 06:00 PM
nope.

My God man. You need to get that sorted ASAP.

DrA
11-09-2008, 06:20 PM
Thanks for ruining the endings of house of 1,000 corpses, chainsaw massacre, and The Hills Have Eyes.

U-Warrior
11-09-2008, 09:40 PM
I could be fibbing, you know.

RBM
11-10-2008, 04:08 PM
I personally love it when the bad guy wins by the end of the movie.

Very few writers or directors make it worthwhile to empathize with the protagonist.

Requiem
11-10-2008, 06:38 PM
GREAT SCOTT!

Loose Cannon
11-11-2008, 10:38 AM
ok, watched Seven last night. awesome movie like I expected. I love psycological crime thrillers like that

Hanso Amore
11-11-2008, 10:41 AM
Yall Niggas need to watch Resurrection starring Christopher Lambert, it makes Seven it's bitch!