PDA

View Full Version : If ROH ever got a T.V deal, would it become the #2 promotion?

Gertner
11-19-2008, 12:46 AM
Considering TNA is such a clusterfuck, do you think Ring of Honor could ever surpass TNA?

Funky Fly
11-19-2008, 01:03 AM
Dunno, who do they have now and what are their production values like?

Johnny Rockstar
11-19-2008, 01:11 AM
ROH is fun and all, but I don't think they'll ever be more than an indy fed. Honestly, though, that's not such a bad thing.

Gertner
11-19-2008, 01:21 AM
Dunno, who do they have now and what are their production values like?

Bryan Danielson
Nigel McGuiness
Austin Aries
Tyler Black
Jimmy Jacobs
Rodrick Strong
Kevin Steen and El Generico
The Briscoes
Brent Albright
etc....

Guys like Jerry Lynn and Lance Storm often make appearences

I look forward to their PPV's all the time.

Production value sucks, but that would change with a T.V deal and some money behind it.

Kane Knight
11-19-2008, 01:21 AM
There's nothing wrong with knowing your place and entertaining your fans. RoH works on its current level, but I can't imagine it working as a national TV promotion without major changes. So I suppose the answer is: yes, if they are willing to "sell out;" no, if they keep the current product (The one the smarks and indie fans like).

Gertner
11-19-2008, 01:31 AM
It appears that with the hiring of Pearce that they could be moving the product to being more "television friendly"

Better Than You
11-19-2008, 01:33 AM
RoH won't connect to a mainstream market. It's for the IWC/and/or hardcore wrestling fans. I would love to see them succeed, but the masses have proven again and again wrestling isn't what they pay for.

Destor
11-19-2008, 01:37 AM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/hknkVp_gl3I&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/hknkVp_gl3I&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Pretty good vid. Really liked his thoughts on RoH.

Destor
11-19-2008, 01:37 AM
Love seeing people talk about RoH, more of it the better.

Funky Fly
11-19-2008, 02:30 AM
Bryan Danielson
Nigel McGuiness
Austin Aries
Tyler Black
Jimmy Jacobs
Rodrick Strong
Kevin Steen and El Generico
The Briscoes
Brent Albright
etc....

Guys like Jerry Lynn and Lance Storm often make appearences

I look forward to their PPV's all the time.

Production value sucks, but that would change with a T.V deal and some money behind it.

K, so they're not all that different from 5 years ago, then. (when I followed ROH a lot more than now.

Destor
11-19-2008, 02:45 AM
At the Nashville show I'm going to December 6th they've got Lynn vs Nigel. Gonna be hotttttt.

Goin to the PPV taping this Saturday in Chicago as well and that card is STACKED.

Fabien Barthez
11-19-2008, 05:01 AM
for the record..

TNA must be 10 times better than it was 8 weeks ago.

RGWhat316
11-19-2008, 06:39 AM
I absolutely think ROH could become the number 2 promotion if enough people cared about the wrestling. They definitely have the talent and good enough storylines. The Aries/Jacobs feud in itself would be great on television. Though it would have to be tamed down due to the excessive blood loss.

Xero
11-19-2008, 11:03 AM
You have to figure they'll get a small network if they did get a TV deal, so I figure they could survive, but as KK said, without selling out and going "Sports Entertainment" it's not possible. Main stream doesn't want wrestling, they want good WWE.

Personally, and I've said it before, I think they should start an actual online show. I think it would be popular enough to get over and if they went with something like UStream and their own advertising system it would be a better choice than TV, at least to start with.

BigDaddyCool
11-19-2008, 11:07 AM
Are we assuming that TNA goes under as well? That is the only way the become #2, is by default.

Dave Youell
11-19-2008, 11:55 AM
Thing is, if they got TV, they would then be at the mercy of a network, a network hungry for ratings.

ROH would then feel the pressure of having to create ‘must see tv’ each week. Remember how the little engine that could (ECW) got raped by TNN?

Plus then there’s the logistics of it, would they tape a TV show each week? Or use several shows edited down into an hour (much like LDN do over here)

There’s lots of questions that would need answering, remember that ROH’s main form of income is putting on shit hot shows and selling them on DVD, if they are putting on shit hot TV (which to be true to the product they would have to) why would anyone bother with the shit hot DVD’s? TV is used as a way to get people to buy PPV’s not DVD’s with the ROH structure of pre taped PPV’s I’m not sure it would sell all that well, but it would most probably increase the overall revenue of the PPV’s but more than likely reduce the DVD’s.

So I don’t see a lot of positives for this really.

Plus I don’t think they have many guys who could be TV stars, most of the guys who are left, can work amazing matches, but as far a promo’s go, I’m not too sure.

I agree with KK’s idea, if you’ve got a good thing going, why fix/break it?