PDA

View Full Version : Let's talk finishers

Blitz
12-20-2008, 04:41 AM
Yessir, just a general thread about finishers. Your favourites, your most hated, what do you think is good or bad when it comes to one, etc., etc..

Meself, I love ones that come out of nowhere. I'd love to see more strikes, like someone using a vicious lariat or kick or something. I prefer it like Japan or the indies, where guys usually have a bunch of signature moves, any of which could potentially lead to a pinfall. Much better than a static single finisher, IMO.

Go.

Juan
12-20-2008, 05:08 AM
I'm a big fan of submission finishing moves and the one I've always liked was the Texas Cloverleaf.

IC Champion
12-20-2008, 05:35 AM
Tazmission was awesome.

I was always a big fan of the Rock Bottom too.

Ben Rodrigues
12-20-2008, 06:15 AM
Bret Hart's Sharpshooter was awesome.

DaVe
12-20-2008, 06:53 AM
"The STUNNER... YES!"

Same deal with me with the whole can-come-out-of-nowhere.

As far as submissions go, I dunno - they can be a great way to create a shocking finish, but usually they are applied and you just know the guy is gonna struggle round for 10s, then finally touch the ropes after 2 tries.

ClockShot
12-20-2008, 08:57 AM
Anything nifty from the top rope is always nice. Typical splashes and flips don't cut it anymore. With the exception of RVD's 5 Star Frog Splash. That always looks like it hurts both men.

BigDaddyCool
12-20-2008, 09:19 AM
I think an effective finisher is one the wrestler can apply to almost any opponent. Also it needs to be effective. I believe I've gone over these points in previous threads.

screech
12-20-2008, 09:47 AM
I like moves that can come from nowhere (like the RKO), but I also like the opposite. I like seeing a guy set up for a move and the crowd just going nuts (the F-5 comes to mind).

I also love boots and lariats, as well as some submissions (Tazmission, Bret's Sharpshooter, and the Crossface when it was applied via a counter).

Kane Knight
12-20-2008, 09:58 AM
My biggest thing isn't where they come from, but how intense they look. Anything like the Stunner or RKO will look good, because it's hard to picture an attack on the neck not doing some damage. The F-5, as mentioned, looks amazing. A lot of strikes look weak, though.

Blue Demon
12-20-2008, 10:00 AM
Submission finishers are probably the best.....Leg Drop just doesn't quite cut it.

Kane Knight
12-20-2008, 10:22 AM
Submission finishers are probably the best.....I like to tap out like a little bitch!

Destor
12-20-2008, 10:24 AM
Blitz is right about this subject.

Hanso Amore
12-20-2008, 12:02 PM
Diamond Cutter

Close this thread now. Never has there been a better finisher.....Ever.

I swear to god if anyone posts some stupid crazy CZM super cradle driver bomb shit I will murder you to death.

Kane Knight
12-20-2008, 01:16 PM
It's not really a finisher until someone gets put into exploding barbed wire and light tubes!

Fox
12-20-2008, 01:37 PM
I loved Punk's Uranagi Slam into Anaconda Vice finish he was using when he first showed up.

KingofOldSchool
12-20-2008, 01:46 PM
I like simple and effective, give me stuff like Sweet Chin Music and Stan Hansen's Lariat over shit like the Swanton Bomb and Bourne's SSP.

ROHFan21
12-20-2008, 02:47 PM
I don't quite know why but I have always like the GORE and the fact that he can virtually hit it at anytime

What Would Kevin Do?
12-20-2008, 03:07 PM
You know, I've become a big fan of Tyler Black's small package driver/ God's last gift. I wouldn't say it's the best finisher ever, but it's quick, can be pulled out of most situations, can be done easily to most people, it's "high implact", but it's also sort of a quick pinning move.

Xero
12-20-2008, 03:11 PM
Define "finisher".

St. Jimmy
12-20-2008, 03:11 PM
Pedigree.

Sepholio
12-20-2008, 03:13 PM
Tazzmission. Nuff said.

IC Champion
12-20-2008, 03:20 PM
Tazzmission. Nuff said.

Ben Rodrigues
12-20-2008, 04:10 PM
Spots where wrestlers crawl from one side of the ring to the other have ruined submission finishers.

.44 Magdalene
12-20-2008, 04:21 PM
I'm trying to learn how to do this for when I wrestle, because fuck if I'm big enough to do much else and make it look good.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/s9QXH84l-NU&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/s9QXH84l-NU&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Fox
12-20-2008, 06:14 PM
That is sick. It doesnt even look that hard, just takes practice to learn.

Jeritron
12-20-2008, 07:18 PM
Coming out of nowhere, and impact. Those are pretty much the most important factors to me.
I think a strong finisher "move" is more fitting than a finishing "manuever" or "hold". It's hard to get a finishing hold over. When it works, it's awesome, but they're rare. It takes a really technically outstanding wrestler to build the move up to finisher status.
So, I love submission finishers but 9 times out of 10 the finsher move is the dominant finisher, and it's gotta be sudden and impactful.
In both the case of the move and submission finishers, it's a nice bonus for it to be open to interesting counters. It can come out of nowhere, but it also invites reversals, and re-reverals to come out of nowhere. Makes for some interesting back and forths late in the match.

Yea, my 2 cents.

BigDaddyCool
12-20-2008, 08:00 PM
Top rope moves on an opponet that is already lying on the ground is kinda dumb in my eyes. It takes longer than 3 seconds to climb the ropes, pose to the crowd and then preform the move. You could have already pinned them and won, but no, you have to do some stupid move that hurts you almost more than them.

NoJabbaNoBogRoll
12-20-2008, 08:06 PM
Test's big boot, before he bulked up. That always looked brutal.

Mr. Nerfect
12-21-2008, 12:09 AM
Test really looked like he would kick someone's head off. But a lot of that was probably due to the leather pants he used to wear. They added to the sound, which helped emphasise the idea of impact.

CM Punk's urange into the Anaconda Vice was fantastic, because it was proceeded by that awesome striking combination he used to do. I think it was like a left hook, a right hand, a spinning back hand and a roundhouse kick before the urange and then the submission finisher. That combination was just brutal.

I really like MVP's Drive By Kick. It works on both big and small opponents for different reasons. On big guys, MVP can step up on their knee, and add a shining wizard flavour to it, which is just sick. On smaller guys, it just looks like MVP could legit kick their head in.

The Haas of Pain is awesome, and I hope that Charlie Haas gets credible enough to bring that beast back. I've also always been a fan of the Regal Stretch.

I would love to see a big guy bust out a Reverse F-5 as a finisher. A reverse fireman's carry (like the set-up for the Burning Hammer), which is spun-out into a reverse DDT. I also think that some classic finishers could find a new home in the movesets of some wrestlers. For example, when Santino Marella becomes credible, something like the Tazzmission would really suit his style, I think. Or he could use to the move to become credible. I like the idea of a comical wrestler having a serious finishing move which helps them find success where they probably shouldn't.

Vastardikai
12-21-2008, 12:41 AM
Something I think that's ironic is this:

Sting was using the Scorpion Deathlock for years before Bret Hart used the Sharpshooter. Yet, to this day, people refer to the move as the Sharpshooter.

There's three possible reasons why. First, and most obvious, would be the fact that Bret was a bigger worldwide draw than Sting. Second, related to the first, would be the Vince McMahon propaganda machine. Third, and I think the real reason, is where the holds could come into play. Sting could only do the Scorpion Deathlock from the traditional set up. Bret could pull the Sharpshooter out from the traditional set up. He also countered a Sharpshooter on him into another Sharpshooter. He also countered a Leg Drop to the groin into the move.

Back on topic. Best Finish type to me is that it has to be believable. I have a hard time buying a glorified Fireman's Carry Takeover or a Sunset Flip off the top rope. Hansen's Lariat, I can see that winning a match. A Good Hold that looks painful I can buy, as well.

The Optimist
12-21-2008, 12:56 AM
Define "finisher".

Probably a move that finishes a match.

redoneja
12-21-2008, 01:03 AM
Kobashi's Burning Lariat. Simple, effective, looks good. Just watched the 2000 Champion's Carnival Final and he kills Omori with it.

Can't really think of anything currently in WWE that I really find that convincing as a finish besides HBK's Sweet Chin Music. Probably the GTS also.

Jeritron
12-21-2008, 01:33 AM
The move just needs to look like it is devestating. The problem with a lot of finishers is that they're less devestating than half the moveset. HHH's spinebuster is just a mid-match spot move, and it's better than half the roster's finishers.

It's a common move, but powerbombs are always a safe bet if they're innovated a little. I always loved the ride, and I think the Jacknife is one of the coolest looking finishers ever. I'm not gonna go crazy over the Batistabomb, but it works much better than an FU, or Edge's spear.

I love Edge to death, but the spear really doesn't work for me. I like it as a move, but not as a finisher. He just doesn't have the force behind it that Goldberg or Rhyno do.
The twist of fate is a stupid fuckin neck breaker, even though I like the guys delivering it.
Jericho should stick to the liontamer, the codebreaker never really did much for me and I don't think it did for the crowd either.
All in all, most of the finishers in WWE today suck. The best ones are the old faithfuls: pedigree and sweet chin music. I wonder why that is...

Jeritron
12-21-2008, 01:37 AM
Oh, and I hate to give JBL a lot of credit here but the Clothesline From Hell, although a basic move and pretty unoriginal, works damn well. It comes out of nowhere and has a shitload of impact. It's pretty devestating looking. Probably because he's just really giving it to half the guys.

Nark Order
12-21-2008, 01:51 AM
What makes a finisher is really how they book it. I think the codebreaker is awesome looking but Jericho rarely wins with it so it isn't nearly as great as it could be. While Orton's head kick is really generic but they book it like death.

Jeritron
12-21-2008, 01:54 AM
I see your point, but thats really a shitty example. The head kick looks badass and the codebreaker rarely looks good.
How generic it is doesn't really matter. Sweet Chin Music and The Jacknife are generic. They're amazing. Fuck, Big Show's knockout punch is better than half the finishers in the company. I don't think it really matters how original it is, just how strong it can be.

El Fangel
12-21-2008, 01:58 AM
My favorite has always been The Crossface

I hate the FU

Nark Order
12-21-2008, 02:00 AM
My favorite has always been The Crossface

I see where you're coming from but I was much more fond of the bowflex smash and the bible buster.

Jeritron
12-21-2008, 02:05 AM
Narc, a great example of the booking mattering is the sharpshooter. It was a great looking move, and was really strong because it came out of nowhere a lot of times. But one of the biggest reasons why it was awesome, especially a few years into his singles career, was because of the booking.
It was iron clad guarunteed match over as soon as he locked that in.

So when he somehow tossed his opponent on their back and quickly stepped through the legs and locked it in, the house came down. They popped for the sharpshooter set up more than the win.
It was the most over submssion move ever. It takes a lot to get a submission over in the same manner as the stunner.

Other great looking submission finishers don't get as over, because they're broken often, or escaped to the ropes. The Sharpshooter was great regardless, but it being booked as the kiss of death was key.

Nark Order
12-21-2008, 02:17 AM
Crossface to a similar extent too. Benoit locking that madness out of nowhere was awesome and for awhile, you knew that it usually meant the end of the match was coming.

Poor Jericho and his Walls of Jericho though, that thing is booked like shit. I can't remember the last time he won with that. Was awesome though the other night when he locked it on Cena at the end of the show and wouldn't let go.

thedamndest
12-21-2008, 03:10 AM
I think a lot has to do with whether or not you're a face or a heel when they're determining the "unbreakability" of your submission. If a face locks in a submission, a lot of the time it's over, but if a heel locks it in then part of the key moments of the match is watching the face break the thing. I wonder if we would still be looking back at the Sharpshooter the same way if Bret had been a face in the early 90's.

El Fangel
12-21-2008, 03:11 AM
I see where you're coming from but I was much more fond of the bowflex smash and the bible buster.

Yeah, too bad they were one night only finishers.

El Fangel
12-21-2008, 03:12 AM
Crossface to a similar extent too. Benoit locking that madness out of nowhere was awesome and for awhile, you knew that it usually meant the end of the match was coming.

Poor Jericho and his Walls of Jericho though, that thing is booked like shit. I can't remember the last time he won with that. Was awesome though the other night when he locked it on Cena at the end of the show and wouldn't let go.

I loved The Rocks sharpshooter, I dont recall him winning with it, but I still loved it.

Xero
12-21-2008, 03:31 AM
The Rock's Sharpshooter was the worst execution of the Sharpshooter I've ever seen.

It was BAD.

Mr. Nerfect
12-21-2008, 03:36 AM
Submission moves should logically be death in No Disqualification Matches. There's no way a good one should ever be broken, because if a guy gets to the ropes, what's going to happen?

El Fangel
12-21-2008, 03:39 AM
Submission moves should logically be death in No Disqualification Matches. There's no way a good one should ever be broken, because if a guy gets to the ropes, what's going to happen?

True, then again the ropes can be used to help escape.

.44 Magdalene
12-21-2008, 03:40 AM
In wrestling canon. Realistically, holding onto the ropes wouldn't actually help escape from most moves.

Mr. Nerfect
12-21-2008, 03:48 AM
I could see a Steel Cage Match between John Cena and Chris Jericho, where Jericho had Cena in the Walls of Jericho. Cena gets to the ropes, but Jericho doesn't break. He pulls him back into the center of the ring, and Cena crawls to the the door, pulls himself through the ropes, breaking the hold, and escapes through the door.

Jeritron
12-21-2008, 03:54 AM
I could see a Steel Cage Match between John Cena and Chris Jericho, where Jericho had Cena in the Walls of Jericho. Cena gets to the ropes, but Jericho doesn't break. He pulls him back into the center of the ring, and Cena crawls to the the door, pulls himself through the ropes, breaking the hold, and escapes through the door.

I could see John Cena melting into liquid like Alex Mackk to get out of the move, and then turning Chris Jericho into a frog with his powers. You can thank booking for that phenomenon as much as the success of the sharpshooter.

El Fangel
12-21-2008, 03:55 AM
Noid, if that happens I will stab you with something.

.44 Magdalene
12-21-2008, 03:55 AM
Holy shit, I'd buy that PPV on DVD

Kane Knight
12-21-2008, 12:15 PM
I love Edge to death, but the spear really doesn't work for me. I like it as a move, but not as a finisher. He just doesn't have the force behind it that Goldberg or Rhyno do.
The twist of fate is a stupid fuckin neck breaker, even though I like the guys delivering it.
Jericho should stick to the liontamer, the codebreaker never really did much for me and I don't think it did for the crowd either.

I think the commonality here is that they're all moves that are great--But should not be finishers in themselves. The codebreaker is pretty cool, but works better as a set-up to the Walls. Or even the Lionsault (God, I miss that move).

Twist of Fate works better as a means to set up another move, too. Like the Senton/Swanton/Kenton/Wanton....Or whatever.

Edge's spear looks bad because it lacks the apparent momentum, but I'd still buy it if it wasn't a finisher of itself. That's a move that'll knock the wind out of you performed by anyone short of Mysterio/'Swog. That's not automatically enough to be bought as a finisher, but it sure could set up dozens of finishing moves.

Mr. Nerfect
12-21-2008, 02:27 PM
I, too, miss the Lionsault. When Jericho hit it on Mark Henry weeks back, I was hoping he'd pick up a random pinfall with it -- but no.

Jeritron, you need instant rep for an Alex Mack reference.

parkmania
12-22-2008, 06:34 PM
Death Valley Driver

Legend Killer
12-22-2008, 06:38 PM
Here's the best finisher.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4O7qlyZlWc

However, it didn't end the match here.

Blue Demon
12-22-2008, 06:42 PM
Noid, if that happens I will stab you with my dick.

Innovator
12-22-2008, 06:50 PM
LARIAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT

Johnny Rockstar
12-22-2008, 06:50 PM
I could see John Cena melting into liquid like Alex Mackk to get out of the move, and then turning Chris Jericho into a frog with his powers. You can thank booking for that phenomenon as much as the success of the sharpshooter.

+rep just for someone else remembering Alex Mack.

Anywho, my personal favorite finishers were the ones that could be hit from just about anywhere: DDP's Diamond Cutter, Benoit's Crossface, Rey Jr's hurricanranas back in WCW, etc. It always heightened the tension of a match when you knew (in kayfabe at least) it could be over at any second.