PDA

View Full Version : So with the 2008 PPVs done....

Volare
12-22-2008, 09:05 AM
Who in your own opinion, made the following

Biggest/Worst Impression
Biggest jump/biggest decline on the roster (mid to upper card...like that)
Best/worst gimmick

and to top it off

Who's your guess to win the 2009 Royal Rumble.

For me...

Best Impression : Vladmir Kozlov
Worst Impression : Ricky Ortiz
Biggest Jump : Evan Bourne (Started on ECW then got put on RAW quick with some good matches)
Biggest Decline : CM Punk (goes from MITB to world champ to tag-champ that never defends)
Best Gimmick : THE Brian Kendrick
Worst Gimmick : Ricky Ortiz

Royal Rumble guess : Randy Orton

Dave Youell
12-22-2008, 09:11 AM
You think winning the MITB and World title is a bad thing?

If this is based off the last 3 months then I'd agree, however, Punk made the biggest impression of anyone this year

Lord-Of-Darkness
12-22-2008, 09:13 AM
You think winning the MITB and World title is a bad thing?

The title was biggest decline, meaning he went from peaking with MITB and the title, to going to what he is now.

Volare
12-22-2008, 09:27 AM
Thanks LOD

Blue Demon
12-22-2008, 09:30 AM
I never watch SD....what's Kendrick's gimmick supposed to be exactly?

Volare
12-22-2008, 09:34 AM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/HQGh_d6mocI&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/HQGh_d6mocI&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

He's been pushed pretty well on Smackdown, Had a title shot and had some pretty good matches with Jeff Hardy and Triple H.

Dave Youell
12-22-2008, 09:40 AM
The title was biggest decline, meaning he went from peaking with MITB and the title, to going to what he is now.

Sorry, I thought that was meant from say the start of the year, as Punk is still alot more high profile now that he was in Jan

For me, I'd say MVP, not just because of the gimmick he's currently got, but because they seem to just be de-pushing him to see if he'll stay around and not pull a Lesnar

Mr. Nerfect
12-22-2008, 09:42 AM
When you say Best/Worst Impression, do you mean a newcomer who either gave you good vibes or bad vibes? Or do you just mean who impressed you overall?

Biggest Jump: Chris Jericho
I was thinking about giving it to CM Punk, but he was sort of all over the place this year, and he technically entered 2008 as a World Champion. While winning Money in the Bank and cashing in was definitely upward momentum, just how much so is debatable.

Chris Jericho, on the other hand, started 2008 in a shitty program with JBL, which didn't even allow him to participate in the Royal Rumble Match. He basically had no shot to main event WrestleMania. Since then, he's completely changed his character to the most intense it has been, well, perhaps ever. He's had some fantastic matches, and won two World Titles probably based on work ethic alone, although some will argue they were only transitional. I don't see why they can't serve both purposes. And who would have thought Jericho would have taken "Superstar of the Year" from the beginning of 2008?

Biggest Decline: William Regal
This was a tricky one, but I've got to go to Regal, who, yes, did have a fantastic 2008 for the most part. Regal got to his highest of highs, and then dropped to a position he was in pretty much six years ago. Becoming RAW General Manager gave him an important role, sure, but he never really climbed up until he won the 2008 King of the Ring crown. It looked like the angle of King Regal's dominance was going to take him possibly as far as the WWE Championship, but then he got suspended. Regal has a new valet, the IC Title and is reminding people that he is King of the Ring, but he definitely went up and then down.

Best Gimmick: The Brian Kendrick
Yes, I am a mark for him, but I really do love the whole "alternative culture geek" thing The Brian Kendrick has got going for him. The leather jackets, the cocky attitude, the "adviser" in Ezekiel Jackson -- it just all adds up to this smug heel attitude you want to punch in the face but you know you can't. I really wish he would get his shit together so he can resume his push.

What I think really stands out about The Kendrick, is that his gimmick works even though he hasn't really been in a real feud yet (although that is now changing with his program with The Colons).

Worst Gimmick: Snitsky
I just couldn't think of anything else. For one, we still didn't get any elaboration on just why Snitsky did anything. It wasn't mysterious, it was irrelevant. Part of me is tempted to give the nod to Ryan Braddock, for just being brought in as a "guy," though.

Volare
12-22-2008, 09:44 AM
True, I figured that's what you were getting at. No big deal. :)

The only reason why I said CM Punk was becuase of the fact that yes he hit the highest point by winning MITB and the WHC, but then he loses the title be being jumped backstage (at least let him lose it in a match) then had the cage match against Jericho.

Now after that he went after Orton, which was the obvious way to go storyline wise, but then (once again IMO) it seemed like he gave up on trying to go after the WHC, and is where he is today.

Volare
12-22-2008, 09:46 AM
Hey Noid you forgot your RR pick.

Dave Youell
12-22-2008, 09:51 AM
True, I figured that's what you were getting at. No big deal. :)

The only reason why I said CM Punk was becuase of the fact that yes he hit the highest point by winning MITB and the WHC, but then he loses the title be being jumped backstage (at least let him lose it in a match) then had the cage match against Jericho.

Yeah, I was treating it, in terms of their stock more than anything, if you invested in CM Punk at the start of the year, you would of gotten a nice return overall, but you should of sold before the end of Autumn

Volare
12-22-2008, 09:51 AM
Agreed again.

Mr. Nerfect
12-22-2008, 09:54 AM
I never watch SD....what's Kendrick's gimmick supposed to be exactly?

It's one of those characters like Muhammad Hassan that has so much potential to be awesome, but is probably going to be dumbed down to simple terms kids can understand.

He's basically a smug stoner who quotes literary works, lines from movies, struts and dances around, and calls himself "THE Brian Kendrick." He showed up and started talking about his intelligence, and how it sets him apart from other guys. He went out and found the biggest, baddest dude he could get -- Ezekiel Jackson, to be his back-up, as power is about the only skill The Kendrick does not have in exuberance. Jackson has shrugged off steel chair shots from Triple H.

Some examples of how The Brian Kendrick and Ezekiel Jackson are pretty smooth customers:

* They cut a promo backstage with Kendrick referencing the book "War & Peace," talking about how he walks the fine line between genius and insanity, and how at Unforgiven he was going to "re-define war," and win the WWE Championship. Meanwhile, Ezekiel Jackson was reading Cat in the Hat in the background, and would answer The Brian Kendrick whenever he asked a rhetorical historical question.

* Bumping into Jimmy Wang Yang backstage, Kendrick quoted the speech Jules would say before he killed a muthafucka. Jimmy Wang Yang thought about it, and gave the bible passage (Ezekiel, whatever number), thinking it a reference to his match with Ezekiel Jackson that night. Then Jackson goes "Nah...Sam Jackson...Pulp Fiction."

That debut video posted by Volare is excellent, but since then, The Kendrick does far more dancing, and acts a lot less cool and a lot more like a pussy. He's meant to be the guy that you wanted to punch in high school, but couldn't because he was friends with the jocks. Which is all well and good, I guess, but it would be better if they emphasised how The Kendrick can definitely hold his own (which JR actually does pretty nicely).

Mr. Nerfect
12-22-2008, 09:57 AM
I'll get to my RR pick, Volare. Don't you worry.

Dave Youell
12-22-2008, 10:03 AM
Biggest Impression:
Brian Kendricks total change, into a Kurt Cobain/Brian Pillman package of awesomeness, from the sounds of it, his constant dope smoking isn't helping himself, but he is being used a really good hand and was involved in a PPV main event, that most of us wouldn't of seen coming at the start of the year

His promo's are solid, he's cocky, smarmy and the gimmick makes total sense and seems like a natural fit for him with Mr Jackson by his side

Worst Impression:
I'd have to agree with Ortiz, just don't see anything about the guy that makes me interested in him

Biggest jump:
Jeff Hardy, his first proper main event feud started at the Rumble, after the 60 day suspension I thought he should no chance of getting a sniff of the title, then last sunday he did something that the majority wanted, but never thought would actually happen. He was tapping at the glass ceiling at the start of the year, Last Sunday he smashed through it

Biggest decline on the roster

Best gimmick
The Great Kahli, no seriously, it's dumb as fuck, but I love it, it's made him into a lovable face without even having any matches, therefore not having to squash/bury anyone, love it

Worst gimmick:
This one is hard, by worst, I always try to think of people that are not on my radar, meaning the gimmick isn't working for me.

I agree again that Ortiz isn't good, but then, he doesn't really have a gimmick. They've done nothing with Tommy Dreamer, Duggan or Snitsky this year either. Hmmmm. Honestly, I don't know who to pick for that one

and to top it off

Who's your guess to win the 2009 Royal Rumble:

Was going to be Jeff Hardy, so no I'll go with Orton

Mr. Nerfect
12-22-2008, 11:54 AM
Just some random thoughts on some guys mentioned here:

* I don't see why everyone is so down on Ortiz. The guy is charismatic as fuck. For a guy who has had like seven matches spanned over a several month period, he is pretty fucking over. He has got those "rally towels," which should be easy to market to the youngins, and while he may not be great in the ring, I haven't seen anything that made me wish for the second coming of Snitsky.

I'm fairly certain he's a replacement for Kofi Kingston on the ECW roster. You don't have to worry about him winning the ECW Title anytime soon, despite his flirtation with the high-rollers on ECW. He'll probably be drafted to RAW next year, get a run with the IC Title, while Kofi Kingston moves over to SmackDown! and actually starts to wrestle.

* I'm still waiting for that Great Khali + Kung Fu Naki tag team. That would rule all.

* The Brian Kendrick is getting a few mentions in here, which is very good. I'm not feeling his current direction towards the WWE Tag Team Championship, but it's at least something. The dude needs to get off the dope and get back to that lightning quick push. I thought for sure at Unforgiven time that he could be a potential guy to win Money in the Bank next year, but now I'm not too sure.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/HQGh_d6mocI&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/HQGh_d6mocI&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

He's been pushed pretty well on Smackdown, Had a title shot and had some pretty good matches with Jeff Hardy and Triple H.

* I've seen this video and match a few times since it's gone down, but for some reason I never caught that little gem of Mick Foley's at the start: "Jimmy Wang Yang looks very rested, doesn't he?" That was just coming off Wang's wellness suspension.

Lux
12-22-2008, 02:24 PM
Seriously, WWE needs to just get over the dope smoking, it could be much worse (see Heath Ledger)

He doesn't smoke when at work and knows the fine line between stupidity and intelligence, just push him for gods sake.

St. Jimmy
12-22-2008, 03:12 PM
I tried to see Heath Ledger but I can't see that far into the ground.

XL
12-22-2008, 03:17 PM
Biggest Decline: MVP

Yeah I know that this losing streak is supposed to be "leading somewhere" but it's getting nowhere fast. I apreciate that he hasn't been losing all year as well but what has he done exactly?

MVP is a guy that 88% of people thought was gonna step up the roster in 2008 and perhaps even be a viable candidate for Rumble winner. To say he fell short of that is the understatement of the year.

I'll do the rest some other time.

Jeritron
12-22-2008, 03:30 PM

Yea problem is this makes no sense. It happened in the past year regardless. Whether or not his peak was far higher than his valleys, he still had a huge year.
It's based on a year, 365 days, so the only way to gague this is not by examing changes over certain months, but his change from last year to right now.
His status is higher than it was last year at this time. He's been world champ.

Jeritron
12-22-2008, 03:31 PM
I think MVP, or Kennedy, has had the biggest decline. Maybe some other people. I'd have to look at a list of everybody to really judge it fairly.

Dave Youell
12-22-2008, 06:38 PM
I'd say using Kennedy is a bad example, as he was coming back from an injury, then got re-injured, so never really had a chance to get pushed

Legend Killer
12-22-2008, 06:43 PM
Biggest Jump: Jeff Hardy...There's is none bigger than that.

Batista to win the Rumble and go one to face Cena.

El Fangel
12-22-2008, 07:24 PM
Best Impression : Vladmir Kozlov
Worst Impression : Batista
Biggest Jump : Evan Bourne (Started on ECW then got put on RAW quick with some good matches)
Biggest Decline : CM Punk (goes from MITB to world champ to tag-champ that never defends)
Best Gimmick : Orton
Worst Gimmick : Festus

Royal Rumble guess :Christian if he returns/ or Randy Orton

Volare
12-22-2008, 08:53 PM
Angel you lazy ass lol.

Cuzziebro
12-22-2008, 09:29 PM
Best Impression : Chris Jericho
Worst Impression : Batista
Biggest Jump : Evan Bourne
Biggest Decline : MVP