PDA

View Full Version : Think Cena could turn into the next Hogan?

Savio
12-29-2008, 07:35 PM
by that I mean once he gets older he only decides to come back if he's paid right and gets to squash the younger wrestlers?

Xero
12-29-2008, 07:38 PM
By that definition, no. I firmly believe Cena is a team player. And as I've said in the past, he is a wonder as the WWE's head public guy.

While I may not agree with the character direction, Cena himself is ridiculously loyal to the business and hard working. With the right writing team I could easily see him up there with The Rock, and I still feel there's time to turn it around.

On the other hand, Hogan is and always has been a lazy, self-centered asshole.

KYR
12-29-2008, 07:38 PM
Nah.

He'll get a bit-part in an action movie where his head is super-imposed on some gigantic cgi-created evil monster.

He'll then think he's some big Hollywood star and turn his back on wrestling.

:shifty:

WOW. Way to let go of this KYR. :roll:

Anybody Thrilla
12-29-2008, 07:40 PM
Definitely not.

Anybody Thrilla
12-29-2008, 07:41 PM
Triple H, though....maybe.

The Franchise
12-29-2008, 07:43 PM
By that definition, no chance. The thing I respect most about Cena is his loyalty and dedication to the company and how he gets shit on constantly but doesn't quit and tries to improve.

LOL that sounds like a WWE.com profile description for him almost.

I can see Cena catching up to Hogan in title reigns/Mania main-events though. Actually Hunters pretty close himself.

James Steele
12-29-2008, 07:46 PM
I agree with Xero and Franchise.

Kane Knight
12-29-2008, 08:05 PM
By that definition, no. I firmly believe Cena is a team player. And as I've said in the past, he is a wonder as the WWE's head public guy.

While I may not agree with the character direction, Cena himself is ridiculously loyal to the business and hard working. With the right writing team I could easily see him up there with The Rock, and I still feel there's time to turn it around.

What he said.

FourFifty
12-29-2008, 08:13 PM

While I agree with Xero's statement, I would throw in some "facts" about how Hulk Hogan hates wrestling, and he eats the liver of cute little kittens and puppies on a normal basis.

James Steele
12-29-2008, 08:14 PM
KK, quit being so snarky...

:shifty:

Juan
01-01-2009, 02:04 PM
Could it happen? Yes. Will it happen? Not likely.

Tazz Dan
01-01-2009, 03:01 PM
Yeah, don't really see it happening.

TapOut
01-04-2009, 07:11 AM
Highly unlikely.

Add in the fact the WWE have neutered his character and have him steamroll over talent 99% of the time and I see no way he becomes the next Hogan. Every "huge" star the WWE has produced has been because they let the person be themselves. Cena seems to be hugely generic compared to his first three years in the company, and they seem almost afraid to have him lose. Winning the title his first night back, are you kidding me? Jericho was doing fantastic, and they have him lose to Cena on two back to back PPV's.

Mr. Nerfect
01-04-2009, 10:13 AM
I don't know, but I voted for yes, because it technically could happen. While Cena is apparently a nice guy, his shaky reactions, and inability to really draw hasn't stopped himself or the WWE from letting the Cenation run wild.

The WWE is also jizzing themself for anyone who stays with them. They're trying to somehow secure MVP's loyalty in the company by having him lose (I don't know either), because of guys like Brock Lesnar and Bobby Lashley running off quickly. If Cena sticks on as an active performer for the WWE for like 15 more years, and you can't see the WWE bringing him back for one night appearances where he beats up some young guy, then I don't know what I can say to you.

On the other hand, the company might be in different hands by then, and policies might be different. If Triple H and Shawn Michaels have more power within the company, wrestlers might be allowed to have more of a say, and John could very well say "Hey, I'd like to put this guy over."

Also, people can change. Cena could get a big head one day. You know, if he actually gets reason to. :shifty:

Legend Killer
01-04-2009, 02:09 PM
Cena actually lays down for others... He chose not to win at Mania last year if I recall.

Destor
01-04-2009, 02:11 PM
Of course he could. Anyone can get a big head.

Kane Knight
01-04-2009, 03:10 PM
If Cena sticks on as an active performer for the WWE for like 15 more years, and you can't see the WWE bringing him back for one night appearances where he beats up some young guy, then I don't know what I can say to you.

Well, since the question is if he'd only come back for the right amount (read: large sums) and only if his wins are guaranteed (Like Hogan), we're talking somewhat different scenarios already. Cena's a company boy, and there's a decent chance he is doing what he feels is best, based on the fact that he moves merch like crazy, and they need a top PR guy in the roster. He's it.

I mean, it's still possible that he's a power crazy douchebag, but we have no evidence to support either that he is, or that he will be one. To the contrary, the rumours are of him wanting to job a few times already. Hardly Hulk Hogan. Now, that could change, but everyone who's played politics thus far started displaying their ambitions early.

Say what you want about Cena, but it seems unlikely he's only going to come back for large sums of money and a "Cena wins" clause. Now, WWE might want him to come out on top, but again. Different scenario.

Mr. Nerfect
01-04-2009, 06:51 PM
Well, since the question is if he'd only come back for the right amount (read: large sums) and only if his wins are guaranteed (Like Hogan), we're talking somewhat different scenarios already. Cena's a company boy, and there's a decent chance he is doing what he feels is best, based on the fact that he moves merch like crazy, and they need a top PR guy in the roster. He's it.

I mean, it's still possible that he's a power crazy douchebag, but we have no evidence to support either that he is, or that he will be one. To the contrary, the rumours are of him wanting to job a few times already. Hardly Hulk Hogan. Now, that could change, but everyone who's played politics thus far started displaying their ambitions early.

Say what you want about Cena, but it seems unlikely he's only going to come back for large sums of money and a "Cena wins" clause. Now, WWE might want him to come out on top, but again. Different scenario.

I doubt Cena would end up exactly like anyone. You have to give the scenario a little room. But it is possible that he could get a big head. And if he did return sporadically, I can very easily see him going over anyone put in front of him. And I doubt he will be paid chips.