PDA

View Full Version : Battle of the Bands #2

D Mac
01-01-2009, 07:05 PM
Alice in Chains smoke Nirvana in battle one, 18-5.

Battle #2
http://www.muzix.org/images/alice_in_chains_.jpg

Alice in Chains is an American alternative rock band formed in Seattle, Washington in 1987 by guitarist Jerry Cantrell and vocalist Layne Staley. Although widely associated with grunge music, the band's sound incorporates heavy metal and acoustic elements. Since its formation, Alice in Chains has released three studio albums, three EPs, two live albums, four compilations, and two DVDs. The band is known for its distinct vocal style which often included the harmonized vocals of Staley and Cantrell.

Alice in Chains rose to international fame as part of the grunge movement of the early 1990s, along with bands such as Nirvana, Pearl Jam, and Soundgarden. It was one of the most successful music acts of the 1990s and sold over 14 million albums in the United States alone.[1] The band achieved two number-one Billboard 200 albums (Jar of Flies and Alice in Chains), 11 top ten singles on the Mainstream Rock Tracks charts, and six Grammy Award nominations.

Although never officially disbanding, Alice in Chains was plagued by extended inactivity due to Layne Staley's problems with substance abuse, culminating in his death in 2002. Alice in Chains reunited in 2005 and as of 2008 are working on their first studio album in 14 years with new lead vocalist William DuVall.

http://home.att.net/~chuckayoub/pearl_jam_biography.jpg

Pearl Jam is an American rock band that formed in Seattle, Washington in 1990. Since its inception, the band's line-up has included Eddie Vedder (lead vocals, guitar), Jeff Ament (bass guitar), Stone Gossard (rhythm guitar), and Mike McCready (lead guitar). The band's current drummer is Matt Cameron, formerly of Soundgarden, who has been with the band since 1998.

Formed after the demise of Ament and Gossard's previous band Mother Love Bone, Pearl Jam broke into the mainstream with its debut album, Ten. One of the key bands of the grunge movement in the early 1990s, Pearl Jam was criticized early on—most notably by Nirvana frontman Kurt Cobain—as being a corporate cash-in on the alternative rock explosion. However, over the course of the band's career its members became noted for their refusal to adhere to traditional music industry practices, including refusing to make music videos and engaging in a much-publicized boycott of Ticketmaster. In 2006, Rolling Stone described the band as having "spent much of the past decade deliberately tearing apart their own fame."[1]

Since its inception, the band has sold thirty million records in the U.S.,[2] and an estimated sixty million albums worldwide.[3][4] Pearl Jam has outlasted many of its contemporaries from the alternative rock breakthrough of the early 1990s, and is considered one of the most influential bands of the decade.[5] Allmusic calls Pearl Jam "the most popular American rock & roll band of the '90s.

<SELECT><OPTION selected> Battle of the Bands History<OPTION>#1 Alice in Chains def Nirvana 18-5</OPTION></SELECT>

El Fangel
01-01-2009, 07:07 PM
Pearl Jam

FTW and FKOOS!

Requiem
01-01-2009, 07:08 PM
You'd better actually put some good bands in this thing some time. So far it's been 'Which piece of shit is better than the other piece of shit?'

D Mac
01-01-2009, 07:12 PM
I'm open to suggestions on the next battles. Trying to keep similar styles against each other. There will be plenty of battles so quit bitching.

El Fangel
01-01-2009, 08:13 PM
Winner of this against...

Queen.

KingofOldSchool
01-01-2009, 09:21 PM
You'd better actually put some good bands in this thing some time. So far it's been 'Which piece of shit is better than the other piece of shit?'

Although these pieces of shit are probably better than any piece of shit band you listen to.

Downunder
01-01-2009, 09:21 PM
Pearl Jam

KingofOldSchool
01-01-2009, 09:22 PM
Oh and I pick The Who to be next.

St. Jimmy
01-01-2009, 09:24 PM
I hate the 90's: STRIKES BACK.

Requiem
01-01-2009, 10:03 PM
Although these pieces of shit are probably better than any piece of shit band you listen to.

lol easy there. Don't prolapse or anything.

Kane Knight
01-02-2009, 11:53 AM
I hate the 90's: STRIKES BACK.

So...

Who's Next?

Kane Knight
01-02-2009, 11:54 AM
Shit, I quoted Jimmy instead of Koosh.

Anyway, AIC by a nipple.

Penner
01-02-2009, 11:59 AM
pj no quesch

Boomer
01-02-2009, 12:20 PM
I'm glad Pearl Jam survived that phase of fashion pictured above.

D Mac
01-02-2009, 02:11 PM
http://www.muzix.org/images/alice_in_chains_.jpg

That guy on the far right looks like the black haired chick from Rosanne.

http://ia.media-imdb.com/images/M/MV5BMjE2MzA2NjY4OF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwMjc0ODk1._V1._SX274_SY400_.jpg

El Vaquero de Infierno
01-02-2009, 02:37 PM
With the exception of "jeremy" and "evenflow," Pearl jam don't come close to the greatness that is AiC. You heard!

The Franchise
01-02-2009, 02:44 PM
Alice in Chains

D Mac
01-02-2009, 06:41 PM
With the exception of "jeremy" and "evenflow," Pearl jam don't come close to the greatness that is AiC. You heard!

And "Alive"

What Would Kevin Do?
01-02-2009, 07:54 PM
Hell of a tough choice... Pearl Jam, but barely.

Kane Knight
01-02-2009, 10:20 PM
And "Alive"

If for nothing other than Rock Band 2's presence. :D

Boomer
01-02-2009, 11:30 PM
I think it's incredibly ridiculous that Ten gets the mention for nearly everything Pearl Jam related for the general public, but whatever.

KingofOldSchool
01-03-2009, 12:08 AM
I think it's incredibly ridiculous that Ten gets the mention for nearly everything Pearl Jam related for the general public, but whatever.

Remember, if it doesn't get airtime on the radio then no one will care.

Or unless the lead singer commits suicide.

They broke up years ago, that one band with the same name that continues to sell out arenas all around the World and headlines major music festivals are actually just a tribute band.

Kane Knight
01-03-2009, 09:34 AM

Yeah, why bring up that best-selling, award-winning album that was commercially successful and actually launched them into fame.

Zen v.W.o.
01-03-2009, 10:39 AM
Nirvana. Oh wait, somehow they lost. TPWW.:nono:

Pearl Jam in this case.

Boomer
01-03-2009, 10:56 AM
Yeah, why bring up that best-selling, award-winning album that was commercially successful and actually launched them into fame.

As opposed to the other seven albums they've put out, all of which have really amazing music on them?

I mean you want to talk fame...they won their Grammy for Spin the Black Circle.

Or how about Vs., which at the time set the record for albums sold in the first week of its release.

I'm not asking for much here. I didn't say you couldn't bring Ten up, I'm just sick of it being the only thing that's brought up. That's all.

Kane Knight
01-03-2009, 11:16 AM
As opposed to the other seven albums they've put out, all of which have really amazing music on them?

I mean you want to talk fame...they won their Grammy for Spin the Black Circle.

Or how about Vs., which at the time set the record for albums sold in the first week of its release.

I'm not asking for much here. I didn't say you couldn't bring Ten up, I'm just sick of it being the only thing that's brought up. That's all.

Oh God. You've never like another band, have you? "Amazing music" doesn't really make for a good argument. Vs. Was in large part a tribute to the success of their debut album and the fact they were hot at the time. And do we really need to bring up a single that wasn't even commercially viable simply because it won a Grammy? It never charted in terms of sales and very likely only charted on Billboard because of the delay in album release. Followup, the Grammy likely reflected the initial sales.

Vs. was the only album remotely as commercially viable as Ten, and it sold about half as well domestically. That kind of tiering makes it fairly obvious.

Boomer
01-03-2009, 11:23 AM
I have obviously never like(d) another band, Kane Knight. The Radiohead avatar I've used for seven years is no indication.

And why does it have to sell well to mention it? In the end I could care less how much a particular album sells, I just want people to appreciate the band for all their work, not just some of it. Its obvious Pearl Jam should (probably) have gotten a Grammy before Spin the Black Circle, and Vedder was obviously outspoken about winning a Grammy for that song.

And as for Vs., just because it followed Ten doesn't mean it only sold because of Ten. Songs like Animal, Daughter, and Rearviewmirror were popular on their own right, not just because of the hit machine that was Ten.

Rammsteinmad
01-03-2009, 02:00 PM
Pearl Jam. But don't really care about either bands anyway.

El Fangel
01-03-2009, 02:05 PM
Wow, Landslide so far.