PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone else see a big talent exodus in TNA coming up?

Mr. Nerfect
01-04-2009, 05:46 AM
This is something I've been thinking about for a while, but I haven't really seen any threads about it. Most of the threads discussing TNA talk about how shit it is, how they need better writing, how they need to fire Russo, how they need better commentators, how Foley's a traitor or how fuckable Dixie Carter is (my contribution). But the all but official departure of Christian Cage from the company, Kurt Angle thinking about going back to the money, and the news of contracts coming up has got me thinking: Just how many of the big stars that TNA has invested so much time and money into will be around for 2010?

Sting cannot have too much gas left in the tank. He's actually in pretty good shape, and his matches are far from horrible, but every year you hear about him hanging it up, or the possibility of him signing a small deal with the WWE to potentially work WrestleMania.

Samoa Joe got his due from TNA this year, when they finally made him TNA World Heavyweight Champion after something that seemed like an inevitability the moment they signed him. With Joe never really been a money-driven presence in the industry, and TNA sort of treating him like an afterthought again, do you think it's a possibility that Joe might leave for the WWE, or even to return to ROH, if they get themselves the TV deal they seem to be building towards?

If TNA loses Christian Cage, Kurt Angle, Sting and Samoa Joe, can you really see Kevin Nash sticking around for the hell of it? He's got two great buds in Triple H and Shawn Michaels pretty much running the biggest professional wrestling company in the world (slight hyperbole...until Vince dies). He could probably get back his job with them anytime he likes. Team 3D re-signed with TNA over the WWE, but if all these guys leave, they might be like "fuck it," too, and return to the company that has their real ring names.

When Rhino's contract comes up, I can very easily see him returning to the WWE's ECW, getting the "y" back in him, and opposing Matt Hardy as a major heel. And although she's not a big star, with Hurricane Helms in the WWE, and with her actually being someone now, Velvet Sky could very well be snatched up by the WWE, as well, essentially crippling The Beautiful People.

And is Mick Foley really happy in TNA?

The only "major players" that I could actually see sticking with TNA are Booker T, Scott Steiner and Jeff Jarrett. Booker, because he actually seemed outraged at the WWE that they suspended him for something he maintains he didn't do, and Scott Steiner because he hated the way the WWE used him. Plus, there is no way that man would pass a wellness test. And if Jeff Jarrett leaves TNA, it is then really time to start worrying about it.

So, to put it simply: Do you think Christian Cage leaving, and the possibility of Angle leaving reverse the tide, and lead to a lot of TNA's stars leaving for better options? Will TNA realise this, and put in measures to keep talent satisfied with the way they are being used? Is it even a real concern?

James Steele
01-04-2009, 06:44 AM
Honestly, most of TNA's wrestlers are either not good enough for WWE or they already have been fired by WWE. Samoa Joe wouldn't make it in WWE, and most of the X-Division lack the ability to use ring psychology to work in WWE. They don't sell enough to be jobbers.

Mr. Nerfect
01-04-2009, 10:04 AM
Honestly, most of TNA's wrestlers are either not good enough for WWE or they already have been fired by WWE. Samoa Joe wouldn't make it in WWE, and most of the X-Division lack the ability to use ring psychology to work in WWE. They don't sell enough to be jobbers.

I don't know, man. Purely based on talent, TNA has one of the best rosters in the world. I mean, going through the list of TNA talent that the WWE would love to get its hands on, these are the only guys that I cannot see the promotion hiring if they were free agents:

Consequences Creed (far too green for the WWE?)
Cute Kip (I think his lifestyle conflictcs with the current WWE landscape)
Jeff Jarrett (apparently there is a lot of heat there)
Jimmy Rave (too small and without any real upsides to him)
Christy Hemme (well, they already cut her once, and even though she's gotten better, she's not that good)
Jacqueline (she's a veteran, but she's way past her WWE expiry date)
Rhaka Khan (I don't even know why TNA has her hired)
Don West (and rightfully fucking so)
Jeremy Borash (Todd Grisham is already filling the tool role nicely)
Jim Cornette (because of legitimate heat between him and the company)
Sharmell (even if Booker T expressed interest in returning to the company, I doubt Vince would do him the favour of giving his wife a paycheck as well, after they turned away from the company)
SoCal Val (I don't know why about this one, but I just don't see her bringing enough to the table)
Traci Brooks (nothing against Brooks' looks or talents, but she just doesn't seem the WWE Diva type)
Willie Urbina (the WWE already has Spanish commentators)
Earl Hebner (he was released purposely a while ago, and the WWE has moved on)
Mark Johnson (the WWE is already doing fine with referees)
Rudy Charles (see above)

I could see pretty much everyone else making the cut.

XL
01-04-2009, 10:15 AM
I'd hope that most of the roster would use Branden Walker as a reminder of what can happen when you join WWE. However, in that case we're talking about the undercard and you're talking stars.

I can't see Samoa Joe going to WWE, he's too aware of how he's likely to be (mis)used. ROH is another question though.

I don't ever see Sting in WWE but he could easily retire at any point. Angle I think will go back to WWE at some point. Team 3D/The Dudley's I could care less about. Rhino could go back but WWE would just lose interest after an initial push - just like TNA did.

I think most of those guys are better off waiting to see what happens to Christian if/when he reappears on WWE TV.

Xero
01-04-2009, 10:30 AM
No.

Mr. Nerfect
01-04-2009, 10:43 AM
I'd hope that most of the roster would use Branden Walker as a reminder of what can happen when you join WWE. However, in that case we're talking about the undercard and you're talking stars.

I can't see Samoa Joe going to WWE, he's too aware of how he's likely to be (mis)used. ROH is another question though.

I don't ever see Sting in WWE but he could easily retire at any point. Angle I think will go back to WWE at some point. Team 3D/The Dudley's I could care less about. Rhino could go back but WWE would just lose interest after an initial push - just like TNA did.

I think most of those guys are better off waiting to see what happens to Christian if/when he reappears on WWE TV.

That is very true, but you have to take into consideration not only the strengthening of the WWE, but the hypothetical weakening of TNA. If TNA lost Kurt Angle, Christian, Kevin Nash and Sting, it might make room for a lot of talent, sure, but it could also cause lockerroom morale to drop, and all that shit.

Joe would probably be misused by the WWE, but look at CM Punk. Sure, he's less than consistently booked, but the odd duck does occasionally make it in the WWE. His achievements in TNA and ROH might be enough for him to swallow his pride and just accept a role as a perenniel upper mid-card, though.

Mr. Nerfect
01-04-2009, 10:44 AM
No.

Your opinion is technically welcome, but I redirect you to a little thread regarding your predictions. :p

BigDaddyCool
01-04-2009, 10:45 AM
I'm not sure WWE would bother rehiring Rhyno after they fired him the first time around.

Booker T, Sting, and Nash don't have anything left in the tank to be worth WWE's time.

WWE is barely interested in the tag team division, I doubt they would rehire the Dudley's. Plus I hear some powerful people in WWE don't care for Bubba.

Monty Sopp/Billy Gunn has had plenty of chances in WWE and never really go over besides for DX, but without that group, he is nothing. (sorry tovo)

All the other people Noid named didn't need to be named.(in the second noid post) They aren't who is drawing in TNA and wouldn't be a draw in WWE.

KingofOldSchool
01-04-2009, 10:50 AM
Christy Hemme (well, they already cut her once, and even though she's gotten better, she's not that good)

She's waaaay better than Anonymous Eve, the Taco Bella twins, and Alicia Fox.

Mr. Nerfect
01-04-2009, 12:02 PM
She's waaaay better than Anonymous Eve, the Taco Bella twins, and Alicia Fox.

Hmm, I don't know about that. I actually quite like Eve, who is hotter, in my opinion. Alicia Fox is a better worker, and The Bella Twins aren't horrible for what experience they have.

Christy Hemme is growing on me, and I'm surprised she's stuck with the business this long, but I'd take all those other girls first.

Mr. Nerfect
01-04-2009, 12:03 PM
I'm not sure WWE would bother rehiring Rhyno after they fired him the first time around.

Booker T, Sting, and Nash don't have anything left in the tank to be worth WWE's time.

WWE is barely interested in the tag team division, I doubt they would rehire the Dudley's. Plus I hear some powerful people in WWE don't care for Bubba.

Monty Sopp/Billy Gunn has had plenty of chances in WWE and never really go over besides for DX, but without that group, he is nothing. (sorry tovo)

All the other people Noid named didn't need to be named.(in the second noid post) They aren't who is drawing in TNA and wouldn't be a draw in WWE.

I've heard mixed things about Rhyno's relationship with the WWE. I mean, they've re-hired guys they've cut before. When The Brian Kendrick is winning the WWE Championship for eight minutes on PPV, I think Rhyno could at least pad out the ECW brand a little bit.

Also, age aside, I think the WWE would be chomping at the bit to get Sting into the WWE for at least one run. Would it be worth it? Not for me to say, but I'm sure they would do it.

Legend Killer
01-04-2009, 03:27 PM
I'm sorry, I do not care what happens to TNA, all I want is for Christian and Kurt to be back where they belong.

Johnny Vegas
01-04-2009, 04:27 PM
As far as Christian, i could see him potentially being in the main-event scene on SD!

If Angle returned, he would be shot right to the top obviously.

Samoa Joe, i really don't see him getting too over with the fans. I think if he was thinking of a good run with WWE, they shouldn't have never put the TNA title on him.

Rhyno would actually make a GREAT heel on SD! or ECW. He could be one of the longest reigning ECW champs for a while on that ECW show and when it comes to inter-brand PPV/matches, he could make ECW look VERY credible (along with Mark Henry..can you imagine if they were tag champs in the WWE..unstoppable).

Dudley's, if went back to the WWE, would just have one good run and then go stale. If they created/joined a stable then it just depends how over the stable is. Bubba is pretty good on the mic and D-Von is pretty much as over as Bubba.

Sting....i don't think he will join the WWE. If he does, it will be a one-match, one-fued thing with someone.

Idk, it is going to be pretty interesting in the next 2-3 years where everyone goes.

Kane Knight
01-04-2009, 04:39 PM
Quick question, Noid: This "while" you've been thinking about this. Was it before or after the other topics on the same subject?

Sting Fan
01-04-2009, 06:48 PM
Losing a couple of top guys could be a good thing for TNA I think.

If they can keep the (little) interest they have in there brand and then push new guys quickly and convincingly it may be the making of them.

I think they are making a WCW sized mistake using WWE castoffs (for lack of a better word) because these guys dont have a lot of years left, they need to find and build there own guys if they want a long term future not a ten or fifteen year run nipping at the WWE heels.

Pipe dreams I guess but just a thought.

Mr. Nerfect
01-04-2009, 06:53 PM
Quick question, Noid: This "while" you've been thinking about this. Was it before or after the other topics on the same subject?

KK, please, find me another thread regarding the topic of all TNA's top guys leaving the company and forcing a change of philosophy upon them. If you can, I'll use it.

And now you're accusing me of stealing thread ideas, like anything else is original. That's incredible.

Mr. Nerfect
01-04-2009, 06:56 PM
Losing a couple of top guys could be a good thing for TNA I think.

If they can keep the (little) interest they have in there brand and then push new guys quickly and convincingly it may be the making of them.

I think they are making a WCW sized mistake using WWE castoffs (for lack of a better word) because these guys dont have a lot of years left, they need to find and build there own guys if they want a long term future not a ten or fifteen year run nipping at the WWE heels.

Pipe dreams I guess but just a thought.

That's something I was going to go more into in my post, but decided to call it early and just mention it briefly in the blue bit. Obviously, if and when TNA loses these top guys, they're going to need to to fill these gaps, and logically the only talent they will have to fill it will be their own. Unless they just decide to push Jeff Jarrett as the main attraction again...

In 2009, I think we may see main eventers created out of Hermandez and Christopher Daniels. I expert to see a little upper mid-card flirtation from Homicide and Alex Shelley, too. But the thing is, TNA is just too crowded for everyone to really thrive right now. Losing some guys like Christian Cage and Kurt Angle creates that room, which could be very good for the company.

Sting Fan
01-04-2009, 07:01 PM
Im not a huge fan of pushing "Little" guys to the main event, they really need an x factor to hang with the beasts that inevitably get pushed up the card IMO but Daniels is a perfect example of a "little" guy who SHOULD be there I think.

He has a real X Factor, he can cut a good promo, he has emotion in what he does, and his style is excellent, flawless almost. And also he is big enough that he looks convincing using a highfyling impact offense on a big guy.

Some guys are to small to make it look right.

Mr. Nerfect
01-04-2009, 07:10 PM
That is exactly it. Some guys just are too small, without bringing anything to the table to even out the playing field with the bigger guys. Daniels could do that no worries. I strongly believe that he could end up being the MVP for the TNA Frontline storyline.

I'll be disappointed if TNA doesn't put the TNA World Heavyweight Championship on Hermandez, given that he has a title shot whenever and wherever he wants. Seriously, if he cannot get it done, I will have no reason to care about him at all. I'm actually thinking that they could have Sting defeat Rhino at Genesis, with some assist from the Main Event Mafia, and then Sting gets into a bit of an argument with them, they leave, and Hermandez comes in and cashes his title shot in, and wins the belt.

Then Sting can both be upset at the Main Event Mafia for the way they go about things, and the TNA originals for being so disrespectful to him. Just a heightened version of what he is doing now, coming down to the choice of whether Sting is an active participant in the feud between young and old or not.

St. Jimmy
01-04-2009, 10:17 PM
No.

Verbose Minch
01-05-2009, 12:46 AM

Stop trying to derail threads into your into your little bitch fits.

KYR
01-05-2009, 12:48 AM
Whoa. Wait a minute.

I can feel a tug on the line.

Verbose Minch
01-05-2009, 12:57 AM
Whoa. Wait a minute.

I can feel a tug on the line.

Read your name and take it to heart.

KYR
01-05-2009, 12:58 AM
Read your name and take it to heart.

Thank you for your advice.

Sting Fan
01-05-2009, 01:24 AM
No.

Way to add to the conversation.

Shadow
01-05-2009, 01:32 AM
What? It's exactly the anwser this topic deserves. One word, simple, elequont. Doesn't need much more then that.

Oh and...no.

Mr. Nerfect
01-05-2009, 02:17 AM
Although I really don't care about the opinion of St. Jimmy, this little thing called "reasoning" has been around for centuries.

Lux
01-05-2009, 04:10 AM
Oh the actual post is in blue. Got ya

Impeccable
01-05-2009, 04:57 AM
Seriously, TNA has been devoid of talent (with the exception of Cage) since 2002.

BigDaddyCool
01-05-2009, 09:52 AM
Hold on, Herandez has a title shot? And noid thinks super spic needs to win the title or he loses all hope in TNA? While TNA deserves no ones hope, I would lose more hope in Herandez winning the title.

Fignuts
01-05-2009, 09:52 AM
I can't see any x-divison guys being successful in wwe, besides Daniels and Styles. Styles, I MIGHT be able to see in the main event. Not particularly winning a title, but in uppercard matches. I think he's got enough of a following where they could make good money off of putting him against any of the main eventers.

As for the heavyweight guys, Sting has pretty much said he will never do WWE because of morals. But these days, I don't see any difference in content between WWE and TNA. WWE has cleaned up a bit since the Attitude days. Definitly don't see him doing anything more than one or two matches.

Angle I can see going back if things get bad in tna, but I don't think he'll be leaving just yet.

I'm not a Samoa Joe hater, so I do believe he can be successful in WWE. He does need to work on his mic skills tho.

Fignuts
01-05-2009, 09:54 AM
Hold on, Herandez has a title shot? And noid thinks super spic needs to win the title or he looses all hope in TNA? While TNA deserves no ones hope, I would lose more hope in Herandez winning the title.

Yeah, I havn't watched TNA in quite a while. Wazzup with this biznes?

Why is Hernandez getting a shot, and not Homicide?

Mr. Nerfect
01-05-2009, 09:22 PM
Hold on, Herandez has a title shot? And noid thinks super spic needs to win the title or he loses all hope in TNA? While TNA deserves no ones hope, I would lose more hope in Herandez winning the title.

What? :wtf:

Yeah, I havn't watched TNA in quite a while. Wazzup with this biznes?

Why is Hernandez getting a shot, and not Homicide?

He won the title shot in Feast or Fired, which is sort of like TNA's Money in the Bank, only applying to their Triple Crown, instead of just their World Title. Hermandez won the World Title shot, so logically, there is no way he could not cash this in successfully if he picked his spots right. Homicide won the X-Division Title shot, so I fully expect him to win that belt when he cashes in. Jay Lethal won the Tag Team Title shot, which I thought he had already cashed in with Consequences Creed, but apparently not. Curry Man got fired to lead way to the return of Christopher Daniels.

BigDaddyCool
01-05-2009, 09:51 PM
I'll be disappointed if TNA doesn't put the TNA World Heavyweight Championship on Hermandez, given that he has a title shot whenever and wherever he wants. Seriously, if he cannot get it done, I will have no reason to care about him at all. I'm actually thinking that they could have Sting defeat Rhino at Genesis, with some assist from the Main Event Mafia, and then Sting gets into a bit of an argument with them, they leave, and Hermandez comes in and cashes his title shot in, and wins the belt.Hold on, Herandez has a title shot? And noid thinks super spic needs to win the title or he loses all hope in TNA? While TNA deserves no ones hope, I would lose more hope in Herandez winning the title.

What? :wtf:

So what exactly are you what the fucking about? You are the one that loves bland jobbers.

Destor
01-05-2009, 09:53 PM
This is something I've been thinking about for a while, but I haven't really seen any threads about it. Most of the threads discussing TNA talk about how shit it is, how they need better writing, how they need to fire Russo, how they need better commentators, how Foley's a traitor or how fuckable Dixie Carter is (my contribution). But the all but official departure of Christian Cage from the company, Kurt Angle thinking about going back to the money, and the news of contracts coming up has got me thinking: Just how many of the big stars that TNA has invested so much time and money into will be around for 2010?

Sting cannot have too much gas left in the tank. He's actually in pretty good shape, and his matches are far from horrible, but every year you hear about him hanging it up, or the possibility of him signing a small deal with the WWE to potentially work WrestleMania.

Samoa Joe got his due from TNA this year, when they finally made him TNA World Heavyweight Champion after something that seemed like an inevitability the moment they signed him. With Joe never really been a money-driven presence in the industry, and TNA sort of treating him like an afterthought again, do you think it's a possibility that Joe might leave for the WWE, or even to return to ROH, if they get themselves the TV deal they seem to be building towards?

If TNA loses Christian Cage, Kurt Angle, Sting and Samoa Joe, can you really see Kevin Nash sticking around for the hell of it? He's got two great buds in Triple H and Shawn Michaels pretty much running the biggest professional wrestling company in the world (slight hyperbole...until Vince dies). He could probably get back his job with them anytime he likes. Team 3D re-signed with TNA over the WWE, but if all these guys leave, they might be like "fuck it," too, and return to the company that has their real ring names.

When Rhino's contract comes up, I can very easily see him returning to the WWE's ECW, getting the "y" back in him, and opposing Matt Hardy as a major heel. And although she's not a big star, with Hurricane Helms in the WWE, and with her actually being someone now, Velvet Sky could very well be snatched up by the WWE, as well, essentially crippling The Beautiful People.

And is Mick Foley really happy in TNA?

The only "major players" that I could actually see sticking with TNA are Booker T, Scott Steiner and Jeff Jarrett. Booker, because he actually seemed outraged at the WWE that they suspended him for something he maintains he didn't do, and Scott Steiner because he hated the way the WWE used him. Plus, there is no way that man would pass a wellness test. And if Jeff Jarrett leaves TNA, it is then really time to start worrying about it.

So, to put it simply: Do you think Christian Cage leaving, and the possibility of Angle leaving reverse the tide, and lead to a lot of TNA's stars leaving for better options? Will TNA realise this, and put in measures to keep talent satisfied with the way they are being used? Is it even a real concern?Yeah, this is all pretty plausable. I don't have anything else to add.

Legend Killer
01-06-2009, 12:46 AM
I'm not a Samoa Joe hater, so I do believe he can be successful in WWE. He does need to work on his mic skills tho.

Look at Jeff Hardy.

JT
01-06-2009, 02:01 AM
Actually, the only guy who got me interested with moving from TNA to WWE (and shockingly to even myself) was Rhyno. I mean not as a top guy or even a mid-carder for Raw or Smackdown, but a nice thing to mix up things in ECW...

Right now I don't care about ECW...feels like Heat with a belt. However, then you have this somewhat small but powerhouse Rhyno, who was the last offical ECW Champion, and you have the currently hotstreak Matt Hardy who is the current ECW Champion, you have potential for something good. Rhyno can come in, carrying his own ECW Championship belt and aiming to reclaim what he feels is rightfully his, and Matt Hardy trying to prove he is the true champion.

Honestly a feud between these two seems interesting to me, and there is already a set storyline to go with. Just need the hope that creative can place it together right, and you might get a few extra points for ECW's ratings Tuesday nights.

Outsider
01-06-2009, 08:37 AM
Actually, the only guy who got me interested with moving from TNA to WWE (and shockingly to even myself) was Rhyno. I mean not as a top guy or even a mid-carder for Raw or Smackdown, but a nice thing to mix up things in ECW...

Right now I don't care about ECW...feels like Heat with a belt. However, then you have this somewhat small but powerhouse Rhyno, who was the last offical ECW Champion, and you have the currently hotstreak Matt Hardy who is the current ECW Champion, you have potential for something good. Rhyno can come in, carrying his own ECW Championship belt and aiming to reclaim what he feels is rightfully his, and Matt Hardy trying to prove he is the true champion.

Honestly a feud between these two seems interesting to me, and there is already a set storyline to go with. Just need the hope that creative can place it together right, and you might get a few extra points for ECW's ratings Tuesday nights.

]Or Rhyno gets a new gimmick, the fat little dancing girl who just wants to be loved.

Destor
01-06-2009, 10:49 AM
Seriously, TNA has been devoid of talent (with the exception of Cage) since 2002.This post is very incorrect.

St. Jimmy
01-06-2009, 05:18 PM
Still No.

Juan
01-06-2009, 07:04 PM
I wouldn't mind seeing Styles and Daniels in WWE.

Mr. Nerfect
01-07-2009, 01:59 AM
So what exactly are you what the fucking about? You are the one that loves bland jobbers.

Alright, to sum it up for the dummies:

Christian Cage is going back to the WWE, right? Kurt Angle is thinking about going, right? You always hear something about Sting retiring, right? Kevin Nash is not really a full-time active competitor if he stays, right? Rhyno's contract is meant to be coming up soon, right? Samoa Joe has never been too happy in TNA, right?

What do you think the chances are that one or two of these guys leaving the company will set into motion more of them leaving, and with TNA not having any top talent to really replace that vacuum, do you see any long-term harm done to TNA because of it? Or do you see good coming out of it because TNA will suddenly be forced to make new stars in like a month by the time of their next PPV?

We often talk about TNA not making any new stars for when the old guys go, but my question is "will it happen very soon?" Is TNA going to be forced to get better?

Mr. Nerfect
01-07-2009, 02:00 AM
This post is very incorrect.

Absolutely. TNA has one of the best rosters out there.

I wouldn't mind seeing Styles and Daniels in WWE.

Nor would I. I'm not the biggest AJ Styles fan, but it would be fun, at least. I'd love to see Christopher Daniels with his "Fallen Angel" gimmick in the WWE.

Mr. Nerfect
01-07-2009, 02:04 AM

That Rhyno/Matt Hardy scenario is exactly what I had in mind. Rhyno just randomly shows up during an ECW main event, and Gores the shit out of Matt Hardy (which is very similar to how he originally debuted in the WWE, when he Gored the shit out of Jeff Hardy). Rhyno then claims that the new ECW Championship makes him sick, because he never lost his belt, and that he deserves to be called the true ECW Champ.

Xerzes
01-09-2009, 02:20 AM
Nash isn't leaving TNA as long as they exist. He lives in the area, and it's decent pay for a couple nights' work a month.

Mr. Nerfect
01-09-2009, 02:54 AM
Nash isn't leaving TNA as long as they exist. He lives in the area, and it's decent pay for a couple nights' work a month.

Well, that's one angle. The idea of a WrestleMania payday may appeal to Nash, though.

XL
01-09-2009, 07:37 AM
Wasn't Nash offered a WWE contract not so long ago? I remember reading something about them wanting him to dye his hair if he re-signed.