PDA

View Full Version : Any good British shows I should add to my Netflix queue?

Kane Knight
01-13-2009, 04:02 PM
I've watched the first 2 discs of Robin Hood and I've got Jeckyl on queue already. I miss a lot of the shit they show on BBC America, so I'm not always up on what's good and the prices for BBC shows in the US is usually out of sync with the normal costs, so it's a gamble.

Loving Robin Hood right now.

Also, keep in mind I've already watched the new Doctor Who series and Torchwood. own a few of the older series, from Fawlty Towers to the first three series of Absolutely Fabulous. Pretty open ended interests.

Same question with anime, though my interests are less open-ended when it comes to anime.

CSL
01-13-2009, 04:04 PM
Funland
The Inbetweeners

ct2k
01-13-2009, 04:11 PM
Ultraviolet - cheesey but decent vampire hunting shindig, has Jack Davenport and Idris Elba (aka Stringer Bell) in it

This Life - Legal schmegal mid-20's drama stuff from the 90's, also has Jack Davenport and Andrew Lincoln (from Teachers)

NeanderCarl
01-13-2009, 07:35 PM
I've just been getting into Jonathan Creek. It's a 90s show that still airs an occasional one-off special (as recently as two weeks ago). Never watched it during its original run, but been catching up online now (there are a fair number of streaming vids on sites like Veoh too).

It's a comedy-drama about an anti-social magician's assistant, Jonathan Creek, who often finds himself harrassed into helping solve seemingly impossible crimes by his journalist friend Maddie, calling upon his incredible lateral thinking brain in order to work out how a crime that couldn't possibly have been committed actually was commited, and by whom.

More so a 'how they did it' than a who dunnit. Some of the episodes I have watched so far have included such myseries as a dead body that somehow managed to climb a staircase after being dead for hours and nobody could possibly have accessed the body to move it... the apparent gun suicide of an elderly man inside a firmly locked and bolted room in a deep underground nuclear bunker who had crippling arthritis and couldn't have possibly pulled a trigger as he couldn't even hold a cup... an actress who somehow managed to get shot through a pane of glass without the window breaking or opening... a lone woman seen by a witness standing in her garden and shooting herself in the head despite police determining she had already been dead for five hours prior to the shooting... a woman witnessed walking around a village unscathed the morning after being involved in an accident that left her in coma from which she had yet to recover... a priceless painting that disappeared from a locked room with no exits just 30 seconds after it was last seen intact...

It has its contrivances and some episodes are weaker than others, but for the most part I've had a great time catching up on old episodes of this show over the last few weeks.

If you want to give it a whirl and watch one episode to give it a chance may I recommend the feature length episodes "The Black Canary" or "Satan's Chimney", or the regular-length first series episode "Jack In The Box", all of which I believe are available on Veoh.

NeanderCarl
01-13-2009, 07:39 PM
And it's written by David Renwick, a writer famed for writing mundane (but hilarious) tales of suburbia which take unexpected surreal or very dark twists. His most notable work is the sitcom One Foot In The Grave, another fantastic show you should check out (anything post-series 1, which was a bit slow in finding its feet).

NeanderCarl
01-13-2009, 07:42 PM
There was a US version of One Foot In The Grave starring Bill Cosby... called 'Cosby' (imaginitve title, eh?)... I've never seen an episode but I could imagine it losing a lot of the surreal humour, dark underbelly and pathos of the the UK version, and focusing mainly on the largely misconceived "sitcom about a grumpy old man" image of the show.

Boondock Saint
01-13-2009, 08:05 PM
MI-5
State of Play (just a miniseries but quite good)
Skins
Coupling

PapaGeorgio
01-13-2009, 09:11 PM
I was a big fan of Cracker. It got a remake in US but didn't do well. Stars Robbie Coletrane as psychologist who helps the police solves crime. Nice and dark. The star has a lot of vices in the series, showing his imperfections. He reminds me of a more badass and realistic House in some ways. Try to find a clip or somethign to get general idea. Got a little weak in later seasons but still good stuff.

Boondock Saint
01-14-2009, 04:53 PM
Life On Mars

Boondock Saint
01-14-2009, 08:04 PM
Spaced

PapaGeorgio
01-14-2009, 08:55 PM
Forgot about Life On Mars, not sure how seeing as I have a poster in my room. Thats a good watch, only 2 series long so don't have to invest a lot of time thinking it's going nowhere.

Boondock Saint
01-14-2009, 09:46 PM
Forgot Life on Mars isn't on DVD in America. Oops.

PapaGeorgio
01-14-2009, 09:53 PM
Thats also true, I had to download it. I tried watching the American show but yeah just doesn't work for me at all.

Fignuts
01-15-2009, 10:11 AM
Keeping Up Apperances

jcmoorehead
01-15-2009, 04:57 PM
Definately agree with One Foot In The Grave, I haven't watched it in quite a while though so can't really recomend any series from it.

Have you seen Blackadder? If not you cannot go wrong with that at all, especially the second series.

For anime try Neon Genesis Evangelion. One of my favourite shows, starts off like a typical Giant Robot Vs Monster of the week show but later starts to delve more into the characters and what motivates them and how fucked up they all really are.

ct2k
01-15-2009, 05:20 PM
Some more obvious ones, some classic, some merely good but well worth a watch anyway:

The Royle Family
Phoenix Nights
Dad's Army
Only Fools and Horses
Teachers
Spaced

And fuck it, check out Have I Got News For You as well:y:

Outsider
01-16-2009, 10:41 AM
Red Dwarf

And I've only just started watching myself, but apparently Spooks is meant to be very good.

NoJabbaNoBogRoll
01-16-2009, 12:30 PM
Catterick.

Lord-Of-Darkness
01-16-2009, 02:08 PM
The IT Crowd

Black Books

Chavo Classic
01-18-2009, 05:39 PM
The IT Crowd and Spaced.

Comedy for nerds :D