PDA

View Full Version : Daviri on steriods in wrestling!

TNASUCKS
01-22-2009, 10:59 PM
» In Henry Waxman’s report regarding the steroid problem in professional wrestling released three weeks ago, it was revealed that fifteen of the sixty TNA wrestlers who were tested for drugs in January 2008 tested positive for steroids. Additionally, eleven other TNA wrestlers tested positive for various other drugs, so it can be concluded that 43% of the roster were on drugs last January. A few days after the report, TNA wrestler Sheik Abdul Bashir (Shawn Daivari), posted a blog on his official website, www.ShawnDaivari.com, criticizing Waxman’s findings. “I don’t mind someone being able to approach congress to see if an issue is able to be investigated. That’s the purpose of this country. What bothers me is for the average person who isn’t in the know of this industry, it paints a bad picture of pro-wrestling whilst leaving every other form of entertainment to be,” Daivari wrote. “Wrestling is part of the entertainment industry. Like music, movies, TV, sports, books etc. etc. etc. When ever someone like a Henry Waxman says there’s a problem with drug use in wrestling (he thinks) a more fair statement would be there is drug use in the entertainment industry. Whenever the media racks up these “huge” lists of people that have died in the wrestling industry over the last years, they never compare it to the number of deaths in music. The number of deaths in Hollywood. In that vein we are usually the smaller percentile, or at least in the same ball park.” Daivari then jumps into the debate of “use vs. abuse” regarding steroids. Daivari compares steroids to cocaine and LSD, saying steroids have medical properties that are beneficial to the person, so a doctor can prescribe them, whereas a doctor can’t prescribe cocaine or LSD because they have no proven medical value. Regarding steroids, Daivari wrote: “There was an anti-inflamitory prescription medication on the market called Vioxx about 5 years ago. It was a very effective drug that in some cases had a side effect of causing heart failure. With tons of studies done, and the comparison of number of heart failures with use compared to the number of successfull trials, and the number of heart failure with abuse compared to the number of successfull trials, the FDA found it more often then not with use and abuse to cause to much damage to the human body to make it prescribeable and the drug was eliminated. I think people are uneducated as to what anabolic steroids are. Anabolic steroids are synthetic hormones. Birth control is a steroid. Some antidepressant drugs are steroids. More often then not, again in cases of USE and not ABUSE they have medical properties that are beneficial to the person prescribed the drug. That is why a doctor can not per scribe cocaine, or LSD. Because they have no proven medical value.” Daivari then says the drug programs of the biggest wrestling companies in the United States are on par with those of the National Football League and the International Olympic Committee. “If synthetic hormone causes the damage that Henry Waxman feels it does, his letter should ask congress to have synthetic hormones removed from the market by the FDA. He has his right to his opinion. If that is how he feels, then he should have his freedom to speak on the matter,” Daivari wrote. “But to go on a witch hunt against pro-wrestling is preposterous and probably won’t go anywhere when both of the biggest wrestling companies in the USA have GOOD drug policies that hold up just as well as the NFL’s drug policy and even the Olympics drug policy.” Daivari then goes into the benefits of Human Growth Hormone — which is not an anabolic steroid but has similar effects. HGH is banned by World Wrestling Entertainment, the International Olympic Committee, and the National Football League, among other sports associations. Here is what Daivari wrote regarding HGH: “It seems like you cannot go a month without hearing a pro athlete, be it hockey, football, pro-wrestling, etc. going ahead and tearing a muscle clear of the bone/tendon while they’re working. 95% of any orthopedic surgeons will prescribe Human Growth Hormone (a synthetic hormone i.e. a steroid) to co-inside with rehabilitation. Human Growth Hormone helps the body regenerate tissue. It creates more red blood cells. These are attributes with use that show it’s medical value. Nandrolone-Deconate is another synthetic hormone that doctors like to prescribe after reattaching torn anatomy. It causes the body to go into a positive nitrogen balance which allows the body assimilate more protein, which every one knows, is the building blocks of repairing damaged tissue. So of these crazy percentages that Mr. Waxman likes to present to congress, does he take into consideration the number of “positive” wrestlers that have had reconstructive surgery in he last 3-18 months of testing? The number of legally in the USA, under the guidelines of the FDA, prescribed synthetic hormones BY MEDICAL DOCTORS? No. He doesn’t. Because as I said earlier he is on a witch hunt. Am I saying that EVERYONE is innocent, and using drugs within the guidelines of doctor or FDA approval? No. We know that’s typically not the case. But is there any way that I believe 70+ percent of the locker room is drug abusing addict? Also no.”

source : main page

Xero
01-22-2009, 11:00 PM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/NXo9Jf_ZXPk&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/NXo9Jf_ZXPk&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

therocksays
01-22-2009, 11:00 PM
i didnt know tna had 15 wrestlers.

therocksays
01-22-2009, 11:01 PM
IF YA SMMMMMMEEEEELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLALALALALA

what the rock is cookin

KYR
01-22-2009, 11:12 PM
I can't read that!

No. That's not a complaint.

Juan
01-22-2009, 11:17 PM
In Henry Waxman's report regarding the steroid problem in professional wrestling released three weeks ago, it was revealed that fifteen of the sixty TNA wrestlers who were tested for drugs in January 2008 tested positive for steroids. Additionally, eleven other TNA wrestlers tested positive for various other drugs, so it can be concluded that 43% of the roster were on drugs last January.

A few days after the report, TNA wrestler Sheik Abdul Bashir (Shawn Daivari), posted a blog on his official website, www.ShawnDaivari.com, criticizing Waxman's findings.

"I don't mind someone being able to approach congress to see if an issue is able to be investigated. That's the purpose of this country. What bothers me is for the average person who isn't in the know of this industry, it paints a bad picture of pro-wrestling whilst leaving every other form of entertainment to be," Daivari wrote. "Wrestling is part of the entertainment industry. Like music, movies, TV, sports, books etc. etc. etc. When ever someone like a Henry Waxman says there's a problem with drug use in wrestling (he thinks) a more fair statement would be there is drug use in the entertainment industry.

Whenever the media racks up these "huge" lists of people that have died in the wrestling industry over the last years, they never compare it to the number of deaths in music. The number of deaths in Hollywood. In that vein we are usually the smaller percentile, or at least in the same ball park."

Daivari then jumps into the debate of "use vs. abuse" regarding steroids. Daivari compares steroids to cocaine and LSD, saying steroids have medical properties that are beneficial to the person, so a doctor can prescribe them, whereas a doctor can't prescribe cocaine or LSD because they have no proven medical value.

Regarding steroids, Daivari wrote: "There was an anti-inflamitory prescription medication on the market called Vioxx about 5 years ago. It was a very effective drug that in some cases had a side effect of causing heart failure. With tons of studies done, and the comparison of number of heart failures with use compared to the number of successfull trials, and the number of heart failure with abuse compared to the number of successfull trials, the FDA found it more often then not with use and abuse to cause to much damage to the human body to make it prescribeable and the drug was eliminated. I think people are uneducated as to what anabolic steroids are. Anabolic steroids are synthetic hormones. Birth control is a steroid. Some antidepressant drugs are steroids. More often then not, again in cases of USE and not ABUSE they have medical properties that are beneficial to the person prescribed the drug. That is why a doctor can not per scribe cocaine, or LSD. Because they have no proven medical value."

Daivari then says the drug programs of the biggest wrestling companies in the United States are on par with those of the National Football League and the International Olympic Committee.

"If synthetic hormone causes the damage that Henry Waxman feels it does, his letter should ask congress to have synthetic hormones removed from the market by the FDA. He has his right to his opinion. If that is how he feels, then he should have his freedom to speak on the matter," Daivari wrote. "But to go on a witch hunt against pro-wrestling is preposterous and probably won't go anywhere when both of the biggest wrestling companies in the USA have GOOD drug policies that hold up just as well as the NFL's drug policy and even the Olympics drug policy."

Daivari then goes into the benefits of Human Growth Hormone -- which is not an anabolic steroid but has similar effects. HGH is banned by World Wrestling Entertainment, the International Olympic Committee, and the National Football League, among other sports associations. Here is what Daivari wrote regarding HGH:

"It seems like you cannot go a month without hearing a pro athlete, be it hockey, football, pro-wrestling, etc. going ahead and tearing a muscle clear of the bone/tendon while they're working. 95% of any orthopedic surgeons will prescribe Human Growth Hormone (a synthetic hormone i.e. a steroid) to co-inside with rehabilitation. Human Growth Hormone helps the body regenerate tissue. It creates more red blood cells. These are attributes with use that show it's medical value. Nandrolone-Deconate is another synthetic hormone that doctors like to prescribe after reattaching torn anatomy. It causes the body to go into a positive nitrogen balance which allows the body assimilate more protein, which every one knows, is the building blocks of repairing damaged tissue.

So of these crazy percentages that Mr. Waxman likes to present to congress, does he take into consideration the number of "positive" wrestlers that have had reconstructive surgery in he last 3-18 months of testing? The number of legally in the USA, under the guidelines of the FDA, prescribed synthetic hormones BY MEDICAL DOCTORS? No. He doesn't. Because as I said earlier he is on a witch hunt. Am I saying that EVERYONE is innocent, and using drugs within the guidelines of doctor or FDA approval? No. We know that's typically not the case. But is there any way that I believe 70+ percent of the locker room is drug abusing addict? Also no."

Fixed

St. Jimmy
01-22-2009, 11:19 PM
tl;dr.

KYR
01-22-2009, 11:20 PM
Thanks Juan.

FourFifty
01-23-2009, 12:17 AM
» In Henry Waxman’s report regarding the steroid problem in professional wrestling released three weeks ago, it was revealed that fifteen of the sixty TNA wrestlers who were tested for drugs in January 2008 tested positive for steroids. Additionally, eleven other TNA wrestlers tested positive for various other drugs, so it can be concluded that 43% of the roster were on drugs last January. A few days after the report, TNA wrestler Sheik Abdul Bashir (Shawn Daivari), posted a blog on his official website, www.ShawnDaivari.com (http://www.ShawnDaivari.com), criticizing Waxman’s findings. “I don’t mind someone being able to approach congress to see if an issue is able to be investigated. That’s the purpose of this country. What bothers me is for the average person who isn’t in the know of this industry, it paints a bad picture of pro-wrestling whilst leaving every other form of entertainment to be,” Daivari wrote. “Wrestling is part of the entertainment industry. Like music, movies, TV, sports, books etc. etc. etc. When ever someone like a Henry Waxman says there’s a problem with drug use in wrestling (he thinks) a more fair statement would be there is drug use in the entertainment industry. Whenever the media racks up these “huge” lists of people that have died in the wrestling industry over the last years, they never compare it to the number of deaths in music. The number of deaths in Hollywood. In that vein we are usually the smaller percentile, or at least in the same ball park.” Daivari then jumps into the debate of “use vs. abuse” regarding steroids. Daivari compares steroids to cocaine and LSD, saying steroids have medical properties that are beneficial to the person, so a doctor can prescribe them, whereas a doctor can’t prescribe cocaine or LSD because they have no proven medical value. Regarding steroids, Daivari wrote: “There was an anti-inflamitory prescription medication on the market called Vioxx about 5 years ago. It was a very effective drug that in some cases had a side effect of causing heart failure. With tons of studies done, and the comparison of number of heart failures with use compared to the number of successfull trials, and the number of heart failure with abuse compared to the number of successfull trials, the FDA found it more often then not with use and abuse to cause to much damage to the human body to make it prescribeable and the drug was eliminated. I think people are uneducated as to what anabolic steroids are. Anabolic steroids are synthetic hormones. Birth control is a steroid. Some antidepressant drugs are steroids. More often then not, again in cases of USE and not ABUSE they have medical properties that are beneficial to the person prescribed the drug. That is why a doctor can not per scribe cocaine, or LSD. Because they have no proven medical value.” Daivari then says the drug programs of the biggest wrestling companies in the United States are on par with those of the National Football League and the International Olympic Committee. “If synthetic hormone causes the damage that Henry Waxman feels it does, his letter should ask congress to have synthetic hormones removed from the market by the FDA. He has his right to his opinion. If that is how he feels, then he should have his freedom to speak on the matter,” Daivari wrote. “But to go on a witch hunt against pro-wrestling is preposterous and probably won’t go anywhere when both of the biggest wrestling companies in the USA have GOOD drug policies that hold up just as well as the NFL’s drug policy and even the Olympics drug policy.” Daivari then goes into the benefits of Human Growth Hormone — which is not an anabolic steroid but has similar effects. HGH is banned by World Wrestling Entertainment, the International Olympic Committee, and the National Football League, among other sports associations. Here is what Daivari wrote regarding HGH: “It seems like you cannot go a month without hearing a pro athlete, be it hockey, football, pro-wrestling, etc. going ahead and tearing a muscle clear of the bone/tendon while they’re working. 95% of any orthopedic surgeons will prescribe Human Growth Hormone (a synthetic hormone i.e. a steroid) to co-inside with rehabilitation. Human Growth Hormone helps the body regenerate tissue. It creates more red blood cells. These are attributes with use that show it’s medical value. Nandrolone-Deconate is another synthetic hormone that doctors like to prescribe after reattaching torn anatomy. It causes the body to go into a positive nitrogen balance which allows the body assimilate more protein, which every one knows, is the building blocks of repairing damaged tissue. So of these crazy percentages that Mr. Waxman likes to present to congress, does he take into consideration the number of “positive” wrestlers that have had reconstructive surgery in he last 3-18 months of testing? The number of legally in the USA, under the guidelines of the FDA, prescribed synthetic hormones BY MEDICAL DOCTORS? No. He doesn’t. Because as I said earlier he is on a witch hunt. Am I saying that EVERYONE is innocent, and using drugs within the guidelines of doctor or FDA approval? No. We know that’s typically not the case. But is there any way that I believe 70+ percent of the locker room is drug abusing addict? Also no.”

source : main page

Long story short- be careful where you get your durgs from.
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/sb3JbXuTkE8&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/sb3JbXuTkE8&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Mercury Bullet
01-23-2009, 01:21 AM
Daviri (Daivari?) on steroids

Yeh he's awfully ripped for that small frame he has. I've always suspected as much.

Dave Youell
01-23-2009, 07:07 AM
This is one of the most balance views i've heard on the subject, it was a good and informative read IMO

Theo Dious
01-23-2009, 08:07 AM
Long story short- be careful where you get your durgs from.
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/sb3JbXuTkE8&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/sb3JbXuTkE8&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

:wtf: ...w...t...f... :wtf:

Kane Knight
01-23-2009, 08:36 AM
ITT: Daivari doesn't know what he's talking about.

Just a couple of quick thoughts on the matter:

Unless TNA's practices are radically different from standard, if you have a prescription, it won't show up as a positive. I doubt there's a single drug testing company in this country that deviates from that as a standard, either.

HGH doesn't show up in most standard drug tests. It's one of the reasons athletes use them. HGH is harder to test for than anabolic steroids, and thus relies on other things, like you being caught with them or buying them online from a dodgy pharmacy. Application of HGH should not, in and of itself, interfere with steroid testing. He says as much that these are not anabolic steroids, but then goes on to say Waxman disregards the number of people with recent injuries/legit usage. Ostensibly, anyone injured and under a legit prescription (for HGH or steroids) will not count as a positive in the first place. WWE and similar policies only ban illegal use, which does not include actual rehabilitation issues. Unless TNA is radically more restrictive and is out to get anyone using drugs, legally or otherwise, Daivari's talking out his ass. And I don't know if he's lying or just bullshitting, but come on....

BigDaddyCool
01-23-2009, 09:58 AM
There is no way I'm reading any of that.

Kane Knight
01-23-2009, 10:45 AM
There is no way I'm reading any of that.

Summary: THE LIBERAL MEDIA IS BIASED!

Replace "liberal media" with "Henry Waxman" or "Congress" or "Anyone not a pro wrestler," and it's pretty accurate to the claims.

I dunno. Maybe it's been made up. I mean, I suspect Daivari to be at least literate.

Kane Knight
01-23-2009, 10:47 AM
Never mind. I just looked at his blog, and that's actually a well written one.

BigDaddyCool
01-23-2009, 10:55 AM
Look, I know the media isn't liberally biased, or else Fox news wouldn't exist as it is conservatively biased. But still, the news in America sucks.

Kane Knight
01-23-2009, 11:12 AM
Look, I know the media isn't liberally biased, or else Fox news wouldn't exist as it is conservatively biased. But still, the news in America sucks.

I'm not accusing you of anything, BDC. I'm pointing out that this easily summarises as "(X GROUP) is out to get (Y GROUP)!" It's a witch hunt, based on half-truths we're being presented by Daivari.

Though a generic conspiracy theory comments might have worked better, because what we have here is a revised presentation of the facts.

BTW, I just saw TNA's policy, which explicitly states that someone with a legit prescription will be reported as a negative.

That means that of the 60 people tested, a full quarter of them were taking steroids without a valid prescription. I wonder how many would have tested otherwise, but these guys are not really victims of a witch hunt.

Nark Order
01-23-2009, 06:06 PM
I agree, in part at least, with what Shawn was trying to convey here. Wrestling is a very small part of the entertainment industry as a whole. To single out wrestling as one of the only gigs in town that has a steroid problem, that's a little ignorant in my opinion. Are you going to tell me that actors do not take steroids for roles or to maintain their perfect bodies? Please.

I also agree with the use vs abuse arguement. Almost everything in the world is dangerous if you take too much of it or abuse it. Should we ban asprin because some idiot takes the entire bottle? Should we ban cough syrup because some kids found out a way to get high off of it? My take on it is that the people who were abusing steroids and died because of it would have died anyway by some other means due to lack of logic and self control. Natural selection. There are alot of health benefits to some forms of steroids and I think that they should be able to be utilized without media criticism. Shall we hunt down every person that has a prescription to steroids and accuse them of cheating the system? Most of the wrestlers that have been caught with steroids have had major injuries in which these steroids are used as a method of rehabilitation. But let's jump all over them for being 'stupid wrestlers.'

BigDaddyCool
01-23-2009, 06:10 PM
I'm not accusing you of anything, BDC. I'm pointing out that this easily summarises as "(X GROUP) is out to get (Y GROUP)!" It's a witch hunt, based on half-truths we're being presented by Daivari.

Though a generic conspiracy theory comments might have worked better, because what we have here is a revised presentation of the facts.

BTW, I just saw TNA's policy, which explicitly states that someone with a legit prescription will be reported as a negative.

That means that of the 60 people tested, a full quarter of them were taking steroids without a valid prescription. I wonder how many would have tested otherwise, but these guys are not really victims of a witch hunt.
I'm just saying, look at you getting all defensive.

Kane Knight
01-23-2009, 06:54 PM
I'm just saying, look at you getting all defensive.

Are we fake arguing now or something?

Kane Knight
01-23-2009, 07:06 PM
I agree, in part at least, with what Shawn was trying to convey here. Wrestling is a very small part of the entertainment industry as a whole. To single out wrestling as one of the only gigs in town that has a steroid problem, that's a little ignorant in my opinion. Are you going to tell me that actors do not take steroids for roles or to maintain their perfect bodies? Please.

I also agree with the use vs abuse arguement. Almost everything in the world is dangerous if you take too much of it or abuse it. Should we ban asprin because some idiot takes the entire bottle? Should we ban cough syrup because some kids found out a way to get high off of it? My take on it is that the people who were abusing steroids and died because of it would have died anyway by some other means due to lack of logic and self control. Natural selection. There are alot of health benefits to some forms of steroids and I think that they should be able to be utilized without media criticism. Shall we hunt down every person that has a prescription to steroids and accuse them of cheating the system? Most of the wrestlers that have been caught with steroids have had major injuries in which these steroids are used as a method of rehabilitation. But let's jump all over them for being 'stupid wrestlers.'

how many kid's stars are dying of massive heart attacks at 30 or 40? Just curious, because I'm pretty sure that the list in pro wrestling will be disproportionately high. If anyone wants to do a comparison in terms of a per capita death count, I'd be interested in seeing.

Use and abuse. Strawman. I just made sixty people happy because they can heave and haw about my use of the term strawman and ignore the actual argument, but the fact is that they're not going after people with prescriptions in pro wrestling, and the problem of media attention comes from widespread, illegal use. This is emphasised by the fact that fifteen people were counted as positive. That means they didn't have a valid prescription, or they wouldn't have been reported as a positive. This recent report actually backs up the need for scrutiny.

And did the natural selection guy just knock the idea of jumping all over them as "stupid wrestlers?"

Final thought for the post, Eddie had a prescription. Benoit had a prescription. These were people who would have/did get around the Wellness Policy, and it's a pretty strong guess they're not alone. In fact, a lot of the guys in the Signature Pharmacy scandal bought masking agents specifically to dodge the positives. Most of these guys didn't get caught until the scandal broke.

But yeah, let's make this about the guys with prescriptions.

Nark Order
01-23-2009, 07:26 PM
This affects those wrestlers with prescriptions now more than ever ESPECIALLY because of what happened with Eddie and Benoit. Professional wrestling is going under the microscope due to these cases of wrestlers having prescriptions that should or should not have them. How can you say that these people aren't being targeted as well?

And it does come down to use vs abuse. You can throw around the word 'illegal' all you want and it's not going to make a difference. Pot is defineitly illegal and is not apart of WWE's three strike rule. Whether they obtained it legally or illegally doesn't mean a thing, isn't the issue here to prevent steroid related deaths? The individual is ultimately responsible for what enters their bodily and how frequently it enters. People that die from drug abuse would have eventually died anyway due to some other form of abuse.

Kane Knight
01-24-2009, 12:15 PM
This affects those wrestlers with prescriptions now more than ever ESPECIALLY because of what happened with Eddie and Benoit. Professional wrestling is going under the microscope due to these cases of wrestlers having prescriptions that should or should not have them. How can you say that these people aren't being targeted as well?

Because we have no evidence of any such conduct, that's not what the issue before Congress is, and that's not what TNA reported to Congress?

Nark Order
01-24-2009, 12:27 PM
So, the patients of Dr. Astin aren't being investigated?

Jeritron
01-24-2009, 06:33 PM
Bottom line is that drug use is a problem in wrestling in particular no matter how you slice it. Whether or not it's analagous in film, music, or everyday society is irrelevant.
I hope something is done about it, and it should be. Instead of saying 'well what about them', they should focus inward and fix their own problems rather than blaming congress for picking on them.

He does make good points, but one important thing is that drugs enter into the profession and liveliehood of pro wrestlers. With the exception of action stars and stuntmen cast for their build (who are usually current or ex wrestlers anyways), drug use in other forms of entertainment is purely recreational. That means it should be regulated like normal drug use in society, and not as a black cloud looming over an industry.

Something should be done, but I hardly can get into a huge debate about it. I just think although Davairi and others may be right, technically, but they are getting off topic and shifting the focus.

Jeritron
01-24-2009, 06:41 PM
Only a wrestling promoter could choose not to push a talented guy because he "is too small" or "doesn't look believable", and then keep a straight face saying "we don't encourage or promote steroid use"

Kane Knight
01-24-2009, 07:54 PM
So, the patients of Dr. Astin aren't being investigated?

I think we both know why that's a unique case, but if you really need to be told, feel free to ask.

I will, however, mention that Dr Astin was hardly the everyman, dragged down into someone's crusade. And so I ask, do you have any instances in which the guy wasn't guilty of something directly related?

Kane Knight
01-26-2009, 08:49 AM
Post-Rumble bump, in case there are such instances anyone would like to make me aware of.