PDA

View Full Version : Wow. Wrestlemania 25 news *possible spoilers*

Jeritron
01-26-2009, 11:35 AM
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/28848680/

LOS ANGELES - Mickey Rourke has received critical acclaim for his comeback role in “The Wrestler,” where he plays a former pro wrestling legend who falls on hard times.

And on the red carpet at the 15th Annual SAG Awards on Sunday night in Hollywood, the actor revealed he’s about to get in the ring in real life.

Rourke will be participating in WWE’s “Wrestlemania 25” in Houston on April 5.

"The boys from the WWE called me and asked me to do it,” Rourke told Access Hollywood. “I said, ‘I want to.’ I’m talking with [WWE legend] Rowdy Roddy Piper about it.”

In fact, Rourke, whose role in “The Wrestler” earned him a SAG nomination for Best Actor (as well as an Academy Award nomination and a win at the Golden Globes earlier this month), said the professional wrestling industry has been extremely supportive of his portrayal of the sport.

“The nicest thing has been the whole wrestling community embracing us,” Rourke said on the red carpet. “The movie was about their world.”

And when he does jump into the ring with WWE, it appears the actor may already have his sights set on an opponent.

“Chris Jericho, you better get in shape,” Rourke added. “Because I’m coming after your a**.”

So,.....Ram Jam vs Jericho at Mania? Amazing if this becomes anything.

Splaya
01-26-2009, 11:37 AM
SICK.

Although, I'd rather have Van Dam vs Jericho

Tornado
01-26-2009, 11:37 AM
If he can actually wrestle, this could be interesting.

Jeritron
01-26-2009, 11:45 AM
Oh come on. It's fun. It should be interesting either way.

Jeritron
01-26-2009, 11:46 AM
Something like this is all about the build and the novelty of it. Personally I think it's the most interesting celebrity involvement in a while (if it becomes anything).

This movie is a big deal in pro wrestling and all of entertainment, so this is a nice coupe by Vince if true.

Jericho should get something good out of the promos and build too.

ron the dial
01-26-2009, 11:46 AM
it can't hurt anything. it's wrestlemania. why not bring in some star power?

Cooler Tom Schuler
01-26-2009, 11:47 AM
Jericho is the Ayatollah.

Triple Naitch
01-26-2009, 11:52 AM
This might be the first time that WWE has had a celebrity for Wrestlemania that is currently making headlines instead of them usually bringing in a washed up celebrity/athlete (Trump, Mayweather, LT, etc.)

Triple Naitch
01-26-2009, 11:53 AM
I hope he wears his Randy "The Ram" tights.

Jeritron
it can't hurt anything. it's wrestlemania. why not bring in some star power?

Exactly. It's a huge show too, so it's not like they're not going to bring the heat with the other matches.
I'm all for things like this at Wrestlemania. It's what made the event big. I love the big matches on the card, but I have no bones with something like this every year too.

The Mackem
It was interesting how the WWE's opinion of the film changed once it became a success.

Jeritron
This might be the first time that WWE has had a celebrity for Wrestlemania that is currently receiving headlines instead of them usually bringing in a washed up celebrity/athlete (Trump, Mayweather, LT, etc.)

Mike Tyson was a nice one too.

Jeritron
01-26-2009, 11:54 AM
It was interesting how the WWE's opinion of the film changed once it became a success.

lol Vince

Dave Youell
01-26-2009, 11:56 AM
This will be the first time that a celeb might actual have a decentish match

You would think that Rouke had some level of training before the film and Jericho is the safest pair of hands going, so yeah, I’m forward to this one.

Would also be good to see a celeb that the fans don’t shit on

The Mackem
01-26-2009, 11:57 AM
He trained at the Wild Samoan training facilty as highlighted in my Mickey Rourke's training thread in Wrestling Q&A forum, Dave Youell.

Fox
01-26-2009, 11:57 AM
Throw Rourke into Money in the Bank and I'm all on board.

Nark Order
01-26-2009, 11:58 AM
This is impossible. The Ram died on impact after a Ram Jam a couple months ago against the Ayatollah

Jeritron
01-26-2009, 12:00 PM
This will be the first time that a celeb might actual have a decentish match

You would think that Rouke had some level of training before the film and Jericho is the safest pair of hands going, so yeah, I’m forward to this one.

Would also be good to see a celeb that the fans don’t shit on

Yea, plus the guy seems to have incredible dedication and competitiveness. Everything I've heard about him indicate that he's tough, down to earth, and when he sets himself to something goes all out.

I would imagine if they booked him for a match he'd actually care about hitting the ring/gym leading up to it and getting better and better.
Doesn't seem like he'd half ass it for a paycheck like most celebs that have been contracted.

The Mackem
01-26-2009, 12:00 PM
Oh man, they could bring back The Cat as the Ayatollah and have him feud with Jericho and then get Mickey Rourke involved somehow.

SOMEBODY CALL MY MOMMA
SOMEBODY CALL MY MOMMA
SOMEBODY CALL MY MOMMA
SOMEBODY CALL MY MOMMA
SOMEBODY CALL MY MOMMA
SOMEBODY CALL MY MOMMA
SOMEBODY CALL MY MOMMA
SOMEBODY CALL MY MOMMA
SOMEBODY CALL MY MOMMA
SOMEBODY CALL MY MOMMA
SOMEBODY CALL MY MOMMA
SOMEBODY CALL MY MOMMA
SOMEBODY CALL MY MOMMA
SOMEBODY CALL MY MOMMA

Nark Order
01-26-2009, 12:02 PM
Also, have we yet taken into account that Mickey Rourke is out of his mind?

El Fangel
01-26-2009, 12:04 PM
Wow, talking about making a comeback, from working at a meat counter to appearing at WM25

Nice way to break the 4th wall too.

Jeritron
01-26-2009, 12:04 PM
Fits right in

Fox
01-26-2009, 12:06 PM
Bring in Kim Basinger to be his manager. Then they will have 9 and 1/2 weeks to prepare for WrestleMania.

http://imagecache2.allposters.com/images/pic/152/fvnh1~9-1-2-Weeks-Posters.jpg

The Mackem
01-26-2009, 12:07 PM
They broke every rule

Dave Youell
01-26-2009, 12:22 PM
Yea, plus the guy seems to have incredible dedication and competitiveness. Everything I've heard about him indicate that he's tough, down to earth, and when he sets himself to something goes all out.

I would imagine if they booked him for a match he'd actually care about hitting the ring/gym leading up to it and getting better and better.
Doesn't seem like he'd half ass it for a paycheck like most celebs that have been contracted.

Plus he actually hit a plancha in the film, from what I can tell.

Now that would be a fucking mark out moment!

XL
01-26-2009, 12:29 PM
They broke every rule
Then we'll have to make it a No DQ match!

Outsider
01-26-2009, 12:36 PM
Well, it's interesting.

I'd love to see it done in character, with JR saying 'bah gawd it's the Ram! We haven't seen him in twenty years!'

That would be amazing. Stupid, but amazing.

Nark Order
01-26-2009, 12:37 PM
More stupid than amazing, Outsider.

Outsider
01-26-2009, 12:41 PM
More stupid than amazing, Outsider.

This is the first time I've ever wanted the WWE to do the completely illogical and downright idiotic thing.

It will also be the first time they don't :(

Nark Order
01-26-2009, 12:49 PM
LOL

What Would Kevin Do?
01-26-2009, 12:52 PM
The Ram vs The Undertaker...

Nark Order
01-26-2009, 12:56 PM
But yeah, I am in agreement for the most part on this whole thing. If they're going to get a star this year then I guess they can't do much better than an Oscar nominated actor with wrestling training.

Triple Naitch
01-26-2009, 01:17 PM
From wikipedia: In addition, in 2003, Rourke provided the voice for "Jericho" in the third installment of the Driver video game series

:shifty:

Nark Order
01-26-2009, 01:19 PM
Holy shit. Little did we know, this fued has been brewing for years.

Krimzon7
01-26-2009, 01:29 PM
Also, have we yet taken into account that Mickey Rourke is out of his mind?

:lol:

Afterlife
01-26-2009, 01:42 PM
Rourke really is bad at general conversation, and Jericho adlibs all of his stuff. I don't see that as entirly cohesive.

Heyman
01-26-2009, 01:44 PM
This might be the first time that WWE has had a celebrity for Wrestlemania that is currently making headlines instead of them usually bringing in a washed up celebrity/athlete (Trump, Mayweather, LT, etc.)

How the hell is Donald Trump washed up? :wtf:

How could you NOT mention Pete Rose and/or Mike Tyson if you're going to bring up the subject of being washed up?

Nark Order
01-26-2009, 02:18 PM
Yeah, Trump is just kind of one of those constant celebrities.

Legend Killer
01-26-2009, 02:18 PM

Method Actors.

Lock Jaw
01-26-2009, 02:22 PM
They'd have to change Randy "The Ram" Robinson's name in order to prevent confusion with Randy Orton and Charles Robinson.

Jeritron
01-26-2009, 02:48 PM
I think it's pretty obvious and hopeful that he'd just be Mickey Rourke.

It fits great with Jericho's character to find something about him portraying a pro-wrestler offensive, and him being jealous and disgusted with his comeback.
Jericho pretending to be sticking up for some righteous cause, while in reality just being an asshole makes perfect sense.
He can try to destroy Mickey Rourke on WWE tv and then Mickey decides to call him out and they fued til a mania match.

It'd even be nice to see Mickey training with Malenko or Piper or somebody in the lead up.

Nark Order
01-26-2009, 02:52 PM
Honestly though... If they do this, I really think it should be a tag match. Less pressure on Mickey to put on a Wrestlemania calibur match and it could get some guys involved in Mania that may have not been apart of it. Like Swagger or someone could agree with Jericho's view and some Face could team with Mickey. Finlay and Mickey are pretty similar in ways so that could work.

Also, I don't really want to see a tag match but I do think it would be easier to pull off.

CSL
01-26-2009, 03:35 PM
lol, this is one of the top news stories on Yahoo UK

Triple Naitch
01-26-2009, 07:59 PM
How the hell is Donald Trump washed up? :wtf:

How could you NOT mention Pete Rose and/or Mike Tyson if you're going to bring up the subject of being washed up?

Hence, the use of "etc."

Jeritron
01-26-2009, 08:07 PM
Mike Tyson was not washed up. Maybe as a boxer, yes. But he wasn't there for boxing. He was far from washed up as a public and cultural figure at that time. He was in his peak in terms of media consciousness still. He was a lightning rod in terms of news and attention, and it showed when they got him. It paid off big.

Triple Naitch
01-26-2009, 08:09 PM
Tyson was bringing the attention to himself at that time by doing outrageous things such as getting arrested. Mickey Rourke is getting attention for actually accomplishing things and being nominated for all those awards.

Fox
01-26-2009, 08:09 PM
Honestly though... If they do this, I really think it should be a tag match. Less pressure on Mickey to put on a Wrestlemania calibur match and it could get some guys involved in Mania that may have not been apart of it. Like Swagger or someone could agree with Jericho's view and some Face could team with Mickey. Finlay and Mickey are pretty similar in ways so that could work.

Also, I don't really want to see a tag match but I do think it would be easier to pull off.

Mickey Rourke & Triple H vs. Chris Jericho & JBL

Jeritron
01-26-2009, 08:10 PM
Okay, and your point is?

Jeritron
01-26-2009, 08:11 PM
Tyson bringing attention for those things is EXACTLY why he was a perfect fit for a Stone Cold vs DX Shawn Michaels main event.
It was the showcase of the new attitude era.

What kind of attention it was didn't matter, as it was legitimate attention and hype.

Triple Naitch
01-26-2009, 08:13 PM
Well I considered him washed up. We'll agree to disagree.

Heyman
01-26-2009, 08:29 PM
Mike Tyson was not washed up. Maybe as a boxer, yes. But he wasn't there for boxing. He was far from washed up as a public and cultural figure at that time. He was in his peak in terms of media consciousness still. He was a lightning rod in terms of news and attention, and it showed when they got him. It paid off big.

Oh ok. From that perspective, I will have to agree.

Volare
01-27-2009, 02:28 AM
WWE is gonna trademark everything Rourke does.

Mr. Nerfect
01-27-2009, 03:19 AM
After RAW, it seems like they're building to Chris Jericho vs. Mickey Rourke w/Ric Flair, doesn't it? Can I just say how awesome the build-up to this will be? Rourke being an actor doing the best work of his career, Jericho probably being the best actor in the WWE and a fantastic promo man, and with Ric Flair there to back-up on the stick, how can the promos for this not be great?

For celebrity involvement, this will be pretty cool. It's not like Jericho has anything better to do for WrestleMania. What would be great, is if Rourke and Flair go through some of Jericho's greatest rivals to help prepare Rourke for the match: Dean Malenko, Shawn Michaels, etc. Jericho could also bring in Ernest Miller to be in his corner, just for entertainment's sake (he's got to have someone to cancel out Flair). With Flair likely being the guy to induct Stone Cold Steve Austin, and with Jericho constantly reminding people that he beat Austin and The Rock in the same night, I could easily see Austin giving Jericho the Stunner, allowing Rourke to get the pin over Jericho.

RP
01-27-2009, 03:26 AM
The funny thing is that Mickey Rourke would take this seriously. He would probably put on a fantastic match. The guy is known for these things. He was one of the hottest actors going when he decided to quit and become a professional boxer.

Lock Jaw
01-27-2009, 12:37 PM
My idea for Wrestlemania without Mickey Rourke having to wrestle, and Jericho getting something better. Contains spoilers for the movie, The Wrestler:

Have Chris Jericho start something with The Undertaker, while still badmouthing Mickey Rourke. At WM you then have Jericho vs Undertaker.... but you have Undertaker bring Randy "The Ram" back from the dead to be special guest referee.

GD
01-27-2009, 12:53 PM
Why does he want Jericho's ass?

BTW I downloaded the movie and assumed that he died in the last scene after jam ram.

Vastardikai
01-28-2009, 05:19 AM
I didn't really see it as him dying after the Ram Jam (that move name just SOUNDS gay, I'm sorry). That's too fucking over the top, in my eyes. I could see him dying that night in his van. Maybe in the locker room. maybe in his house the night before the next show a few years from now. In essence, it will be the business that will kill him, and he'll die alone.

Kalyx triaD
01-28-2009, 06:23 AM
This is impossible. The Ram died on impact after a Ram Jam a couple months ago against the Ayatollah

Thanks for that.

Jeritron
01-28-2009, 12:19 PM
I really wouldn't be suprised if Stone Cold was the referee for either this, or the Orton/Cena main event.

More than likely they're going to get him on the card with it being in Texas and it being his HOF weekend

Jeritron
01-28-2009, 01:57 PM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/XXS8wrBaiac&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/XXS8wrBaiac&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

XL
01-28-2009, 02:15 PM
If Rourke wins the Oscar I wanna see Jericho push his Slammy for Wrestler of the Year as being a bigger accomplishment.

Juan
01-28-2009, 05:01 PM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/XXS8wrBaiac&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/XXS8wrBaiac&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Nice

Kalyx triaD
01-28-2009, 06:41 PM
Mainstream building? Like real mainstream building?!?

Heyman
01-29-2009, 05:23 PM
I really wouldn't be suprised if Stone Cold was the referee for either this, or the Orton/Cena main event.

This will most likely be the case. The only other scenario I see, is that there will be a brief segment where Austin will come and thank the fans, some heel will interrupt, and get stunned for his efforts.

Jeritron
01-29-2009, 05:25 PM
It's the least likely of the three options, but I wouldn't consider it impossible for him to ref the potential HBM vs Taker match.
Considering it's a big match between two native Texans, in Texas, and they're 3 of the biggest WWF attitude stars.
It wouldn't be a bad fit.

thedamndest
01-29-2009, 05:29 PM
I like that too, but I thinking there will be a ref bump in the match. Not saying it couldn't happen with SCSA, but I always think they play better when a regular ref takes them instead of a former wrestler.

Jeritron
01-29-2009, 05:30 PM
Well if the ref bump is sweet chin music, it wouldn't be bad.

Then of course, you'd be guarunteed a stunner as retaliation. Even though you'd be guarunteed one post-match anyways.

thedamndest
01-29-2009, 05:41 PM
SCM, then cover Taker, new ref, 1-2...NO!