PDA

View Full Version : The Natural Born Killer and The Hitman to Have Their Fight Night

The Show Off
01-29-2009, 06:27 PM
Condit vs. Kampmann signed for UFC Fight Night 18 main event (http://mmajunkie.com/news/13862/condit-vs-kampmann-signed-for-ufc-fight-night-18-main-event.mma)

Less than 24 hours after the WEC officially scrapped a March 1 co-main event between welterweight champion Carlos Condit (22-4) and challenger Brock Larson (24-2), the organization may be taking the preliminary steps in eliminating the entire 170-pound division.

Sources close to the event have alerted MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) that Condit has signed on for an April 1 main-event bout with Martin Kampmann (14-2 MMA, 5-1 UFC).

Fiveouncesofpain.com first reported the possibility of the bout for UFC Fight Night 18, tentatively scheduled for Nashville, Tenn.

Condit will carry an eight-fight win streak into his UFC debut, including a perfect 5-0 mark during his tenure with the Zuffa, LLC-owned WEC. The "Natural Born Killer" and Larson were set to meet at "WEC 39: Brown vs. Garcia" in a rematch of their August 2007 bout, but a sprained wrist forced Condit off of the card.

Considered by many MMA observers to be among one of the world's only top-10 welterweights currently outside of the UFC, Condit owns career victories over Larson, John Alessio and Frank Trigg.

With the WEC's 170-pound champion departing for the UFC, Zuffa, LLC officials may be preparing for the rumored elimination of the welterweight division in the WEC. The organization recently took the same course of action with the 205-pound and 185-pound weight classes.

Kampmann will be making his second appearance in the UFC's welterweight division. Despite cutting little -- if any -- weight in previous contests, the Danish striker compiled a 4-1 record in the organization's middleweight division. The Xtreme Couture fighter elected to drop to welterweight after a September 2008 loss to Nate Marquardt at UFC 88.

Kampmann earned a second-round TKO win over UFC newcomer Alexandre Barros earlier this month at UFC 93 in his first bout in the 170-pound division.

For the latest on UFC Fight Night 18, stay tuned to the UFC Rumors section of MMAjunkie.com.

This looks like a beast of a fight and quite possibly one of the best Fight Night main events that I can remember. Condit is an amazing welterweight that is finally going to get his chance to show what he's got against fighters worthy of his skill level.

And Kampmann I thought could have been a Top 10 Middleweight before Marquardt destroyed him. I see no reason why Kampmann can't be a great fighter at 170.

Both these guys always put on excellent fights and I think Fight Night 18 will be no diffrent.

This has the making of being a pretty good fight night with the following being rumored.

* Carlos Condit vs. Martin Kampmann
* Efrain Escudero vs. Jeremy Stephens
* Ryan Bader vs. Carmelo Marrero
* Rafael dos Anjos vs. Tyson Griffin
* Melvin Guillard vs. TBA
* Junie Browning vs. Cole Miller
* Ricardo Almeida vs. Matt Horwich
* Nissen Osterneck vs. Jorge Rivera
* Ryan Jensen vs. Steve Steinbeiss
* Tim McKenzie vs. Aaron Simpson

Jeritron
01-29-2009, 07:00 PM
Woody Harrelson vs Bret Hart? This I gotta see.

Mercury Bullet
01-29-2009, 09:47 PM
This should be a good fight. It's a rough test for Condit to come up into. They certainly aren't spoon feeding him to build him up.

The Show Off
01-30-2009, 11:43 AM
Woody Harrelson vs Bret Hart? This I gotta see.

I was thinking more along the lines of Juliette Lewis vs. Ricky Hatton.

But seriously this is going to be an awesome fight as Bullet said they're not spoon feeding Condit but nor are the spoon feeding Kampmann, Condit is a very dangerious guy despite his looks. The guy is pretty much undisputedly a Top 10 Welterweight for good reason.