PDA

View Full Version : Long Term Planning for SmackDOWN! (may contain spoilers)

Corkscrewed
03-26-2004, 06:03 AM
Just a warning for UK readers... this "article" will discuss some stories that were developed during SmackDOWN! this past Thursday, so read at your own discretion.

Anyway, I really like this new beginning. The way SD's roster has been structured, now, more than ever, this is the brand that has the young and rising stars. This is the time for the WWE to make stars, with many of its past legends, like The Rock, Mick Foley, Stone Cold, etc... either not wrestling or not wrestling often. They've already begun to create new main event stars, as shown by Eddie Guerrero and Chris Benot's title wins, and hopefully, they can continue to parlay this work into another hot cycle.

Given the current situation on SmackDOWN!, I thought I'd share my views on what they can do longterm, establishing varied and exciting feuds and multiple storylines reminiscent of the glory days in the late 90s, when WWE programming was filled with tons of intriguing angles. So in short, here's me imitating Cynick. ;)

Main Event:
With Booker T coming to SD, he's obviously become the number one wrestling heel. Angle's injuries have forced him onto the shelf for a while, and his new GM role is the perfect way for him to stay healthy and still be able to entertain us on TV. Obviously, we have the makings of a Booker T/Eddie Guerrero feud, which could be unbelievably hot if booked correctly. This feud can also translate to a possible well-deserved title run for Booker T himself by the end of the year and pave the way for the creation of new main event stars.

The end of SD saw Bradshaw attack Eddie, much to the disgust and confusion of possibly every internet smark. Of course, as bad as Bradshaw is in the ring, the new conversion of his character into a modified 2004 version of Irwin R. Scheister has already proven to be a pleasant surprise. Bradshaw's promo was definitely effective, establishing him as a selfish and arrogant egomaniac with a huge superiority complex. It definitely fits his clean shaven and short haired image better to.

It appears that Bradshaw will feud with Eddie a litte bit before settling down into the midcard. Consider this a fodder feud, much like Brock vs Holly. With the next SD PPV two month away, they can definitely afford to carry out this small diversion before regrouping with Eddie vs Booker T. They'll probably have Eddie defend his title against Bradshaw a few weeks down the line, with Eddie getting the clean win but Bradshaw looking strong in the process.

Assuming Angle remains GM for at least four months (that's a reasonable guess for a minimum GM run), Eddie will probably have Booker T to battle after he disposes of Bradshaw. A more possible scenario, however, is to continue to build Booker up as a mega-heel while Eddie takes care of business with... Big Show.

I know, you're groaning because it's Paul Wight, but remember that Big Show defeated Eddie for the US Title. Remember also that they have tremendous storyline heat stemming from the "truck incident" on the SD before Eddie lost his title. Big Show is the guy who can always rise into main eventing whenever he's needed to, and a nice two month feud with Eddie would be great, especially when Eddie comes out clean over Big Show at the end, thereby establishing himself as an even more legitimate champ.

Eddie can then feud with Booker T after that. A two to three month feud sounds about right, and by that time, Booker will hopefully have been built into a very hated heel. The Eddie/Booker feud has the potential for some spectacular matches, as stated before, and by Summerslam, Eddie should have been champ long enough to firmly cement himself as a great champion. At Summerslam, Eddie and Booker T can hopefully climax their feud with a grueling match with several near falls, with Booker T pulling off the technically clean win at the end (possibly by cheating; or possibly after Eddie had hit the frog splash and had the match won but the ref was knocked out). This would put Booker T over as an accepted main eventer while Eddie loses no credibilty.

Post-Summerslam can see Eddie and John start a face/face friendly rivalry to serve as a main event side angle. This could end with a heel turn for one of them. Booker T would then feud with RVD in a storyline that could see Rob Van Dam as champ by the end of the year (people could hope). The second possibility would be to have Booker feud with Cena, who'd win the strap by the close of the year, while Eddie would feud with a heel RVD, possibly managed by Paul Heyman. That angle would of course have tons of heat due to Eddie and Paul's history.

Thus, by the end of the year, your main event class could reasonably include Eddie Guerrero, Booker T, Big Show, Kurt Angle, Undertaker, John Cena, and Rob Van Dam. Four faces, three heels.

I know I omitted Undertaker. Frankly, I'm not completely sure what he CAN do right now. He could feud with the Big Show perhaps, but frankly, I'd like to see him out of the title scene. He's so over right now that he really doesn't need the belt. He could perhaps enter the main event scene by the second half of the year, serving as a third contestant to spice things up for some main events.

Mid Card:
Cena and Renee Dupree currently look to be involved in some feud, at least judged by last night's promo. Things could always change of course, but my optimism actually lies in the depth of the midcard currently. You have Cena as the champ, Dupree as the French Phenom who obviously will be pushed (and he's been pretty entertaining too). Bradshaw should also settle into the midcard after he's done with Eddie. Other great mid-carders include RVD, Billy Gunn, and Charlie Haas. With all this great talent, what you could have is a blazing hot US Title division, similar to the tag division of 1999, where titles changed hands often, but the changes still made the belt credible because the matches were high paced and awesome, and losers still looked good. I'd like to see Cena feud with Dupree right now, but other side angles between the other midcarders can develop. Haas and RVD might have something going. They could probably have a minifeud where they trade wins. Cena may drop the title but win it back later, as part of the flurry of the scene, but ultimately, by the time he drops the title for good, he should be ready to move up into the main event scene. As stated before, this would be around the end of the year, or at least late fall.

There's plenty of opportunity to make the midcarders entertaining. Two or three simultaneous feuds and/or storylines would add depth, and it would also bring back a characteristic of the WWE during its golden years: a very good midcard scene.

Tag Team Division:
There are currently three tag teams on SmackDOWN!: Rikishi and Scotty (champs), The Bashams, and the Dudleys. The tag division has been pretty weak over the past year or two, but with the current roster, that can be quickly remedied. Now is the time to introduce new teams and accustom the audience to their presence so that they can become credible. Billy Kidman and Paul London, who've been languishing in the Cruiserweight Division doing nothing, have nevertheless been putting up spectacular matches on Velocity, so I've heard. Put them together as a fast, high flying Cruiser team that uses their speed and agility to their advantage around the slower bigger teams. Bring in Mark Jindrak and Sean O'Haire as (Loopy, you can get ready to mark out or something) Natural Born Thrillers. They don't have to be involved in the title race for now, but they should be put together and appear on SmackDOWN at least twice a month. You also have Akio and Sakoda, who can team together in matches (perhaps start a feud with London and Kidman) when neither is involved in a CW feud. While the Bashams, Dudleys, and Dancers are battling each other for the titles, these other teams can be built up as legimate threats.

So you've just gone from an anemic three teams to a healthy six team division, which is a pretty good number in my book. That's about how many teams were prominently featured in 1999.

Another possible storyline in the future (may be good, may be bad) could involve Scotty and Rikishi having differences. I can't be the only one who's noticed that Rikishi has carried the team. Scotty is always picked on and exploited until Rikishi comes in, clears house, and saves the day. Scotty doesn't win when he wrestles one-on-one matches. Eventually, when Rikishi and Scotty drop the belts, Rikishi can start a program with Scotty. He would logically be heel, saying that Scotty is worthless and needs him for help. Book the big Kish as a big bully while Scotty is the worm, pun intended. Either person could win... I'd stick with Rikishi to make things rational. Rikishi could enter the midcard after that feud with challenge for the US Title. Scotty could possibly enter the Cruiserweight division (he is a former Light Heavyweight Champ).

Cruiserweight Division:
I really wish they'd let the Cruisers put on the moves they can do. Even though injuries have slowed Rey down, he can still do some crazy things if he was allowed to go his full speed. He and Chavo still have yet to touch the full potential of their feud, since Chavo has come off as a wuss who needs daddy to help him. I know they can put on some stellar matches: just look at Rey's debut match against Chavo Guerrero. It was amazing.

On the other hand, if Rey cannot feud with Chavo, he could feud with Akio. They've already done some cool matches, and they also have brilliant chemistry with each other.

You have tons of Cruisers, and there's really no mystery behind how to improve this division. Let them fly. Let them perform innovative manuveurs. Crowds are awed by new moves. Let them do that. Let them dazzle. Wait--does that sound a bit like the X-Division? It should. Remember that at least early on, the X-Division at TNA was billed as the place where new moves were being unleashed by the talented wrestlers every week. There's no reason SD! can't adopt that viewpoint. They don't have to use the same slogan, but for goodness sakes, make the Cruiserweight matches fast and exciting, not just slight improvements over the old Light Heavyweight matches.

Recent matches have been better. Since Wrestlemania, it appears that they've put more push behind the division. Hopefully, this continues. The CW division is another one that can be very exciting, where anyone can win the title at any time because everyone is so good. Any of the Cruiserweights would make believable champs, frankly, even Spike (his match last night was actually pretty darn entertaining). It's really not that hard to make the CW division shine; it's a matter of if the writers want to. However, the main eventers on SD! don't really have egos, so there shouldn't be a concern over if lower card wrestlers steal the show and make main eventers look bad.

So that's that. If the WWE follows that basic formula, you could see 2004 be a resurgent year that starts a new cycle of popularity.

This is where it all begins again. Lets hope they make this new start a successful one.

Dave Youell
03-26-2004, 07:56 AM
I agree with most of what you said.

But i'm gonna state it now, a heel RVD will be Champ by Survivor Series

loopydate
03-26-2004, 10:20 AM
NBT! NBT! NBT!

Er...

Good ideas here. I can definitely see all of those things happening, and I wouldn't be disappointed in much of it (the fact that Bradshaw's still around will always stick me, though, no pun intended).

Although, I should probably refrain from the negative Bradshaw references until I see the replay of last night's SmackDown. It was pre-empted for a Pistons game here, so I didn't get to see it. If his character is as good as people are saying, maybe (MAYBE) I'll give him a chance.

BasicThuganomics
03-26-2004, 10:42 AM
Very good, very logical ideas. The possible ECW invasion or whatever they are going to do could change up your plans completely though...

The Icon of Elisim
03-26-2004, 10:56 AM
My idea for Smackdown is a bit weird but I think it could work.

Angle as GM tries to make Smackdown the American brand, that being his version of what America should be (conservative with high moral values). A place where everyone is treated equally (thus heel pushes for Dupree and Booker T) and cheaters (Guerrero) and potty mouths (Cena) are taken down.

This would inevitably become another GM vs wrestler scenario but I think it would come off differently because its centered around a different idea than the usual Austin-Vince thing.

Lamuella
03-26-2004, 11:21 AM
great ideas, a couple of thoughts myself:

I'd like to see Dupree win the US title, if we could find a way for him to win it without Cena losing heat (perhaps a dirty win with a belt shot?). At this point he pulls a Lance Storm, sticks a tricolour on the title and starts referring to it as the French Heavyweight Title. He gets a manservant (called Philippe or Raoul, played by the indie worker of your choice) to carry the title to the ring for him on a velvet cushion. Dupree is good at being this really smooth, good looking, asshole. Up his arrogance a bit, give him a little bit of Nature Boy-esque "better and prettier than you" attitude, and he's good to go

KingofOldSchool
03-26-2004, 11:43 AM
Bradshaw should rename the Clothsline From Hell to the Clothsline From Wall Street.

The CyNick
03-26-2004, 12:00 PM
Yeah great ideas, and really good impersonation.

With the WWE title picture, I think an interesting angle out of Angle being GM is that he's trying to book Eddie in all these title matches one after another so that Eddie gets worn down. Then at some point down the line, Angle finally makes a comeback and announces himself as the #1 contender. That would set up Angle-Eddie for maybe Summerslam where Eddie is exhausted from his busy schedule and Angle has been sitting behind a desk not taking a bump and getting back to 100%.

Depending on how far they want to take that, and depending on how healthy Kurt will be, but that could be the Wrestlemania 21 angle. Say Eddie goes all the way to Survivor Series, and he's defended the title against Bradshaw, Big Show, Booker T, RVD on PPV and other lower card guys on TV, Angle annoucnes that for Survivor Series he's the #1 contender. Eddie has all these built up injuries and he loses at SS to Kurt. Kurt then announces as GM that Eddie gets no rematch. But of course Eddie wins the Rumble and that gives him a title shot at Mania. Kurt, still acting as GM, announces that he put in the Mania contract that if Eddie fails at Mania he will NEVER get another WWE title shot, and he can never enter another Royal Rumble or any match to win a title shot. So its all or nothing for Eddie in Los Angeles at Wrestlemania 21. Of course Eddie wins and all is good in the world.

I like the idea of the NBT getting back together. In fact they talked about this on Byte This a couple weeks back with Jindrak. If they are going to do this they might as well try to make them stars. Not to spoil Velocity for anyone, but it appears they are trying to build up Jindrak as somewhat of a monster. I would also do that with Sean O'Haire. After a couple weeks of them each killing guys in singles matches I would take them off TV. Then you start running vignettes that the Natural Born Thrillers are coming back. Eventually they show up on Smackdown and they interrupt 2 jobbers who were "getting ready for the next match", and they totally kill those guys. Do that for a couple of weeks. You could even do it where the fans expect to see them when they see 2 jobbers standing in the ring they could be chanting to see NBT. Of course they come out and pummell the unsuspecting jobbers. Basically you make them a modern day version of teh Road Warriors. They dont sell very much, and they kill everyone in their path. That way they dont have to expose the fact that they aren't the best workers in the world.

As for the CW's, the thing about TNA's X-division is that a lot of times they do moves which are fun to watch but the moves dont mean anything and the whole thing just becomes a spot fest. I think there is a way to push the CW style as being fast and high flying but still tell a story in the ring which makes every move mean something to the audience.

Corkscrewed
03-26-2004, 03:59 PM
Good points, Cynick. The NBT idea works pretty well. You'd end up having two high flying teams, one monster team, and three basically well-rounded team. That's great depth and variety.

For the Cruisers, it doesn't have to be a spot fest. My main gripe is that after a while, some of the stuff does get boring. They don't have to unveil one new move every week, but variety is what I ask for. Even slight alterations on basic moves would be cool. I'm still looking for a day where someone goes for a head scissors, and hte other guys counters by flipping even more and actually landing on his feet, then giving the first guy a huge stiff superkick or something. That'd be an awesome spot that would still be very productive (could lead to a pin).

PureHatred
03-26-2004, 05:10 PM
Besides the wrestling, the cruisers need strong characters to liven up that division. Chavo needs a nice long reign with plenty of clean wins to legitimize the belt. Rey is so over he overshadows the other cruisers; I'd let him wrestle outside the division for a while in order to let guys like Jamie Noble, Ultimo Dragon, and Shannon Moore get some of the spotlight. Is Nova still in the oVW? If he is, bring him up, just to get Chavo another contender for the title. And, it may sound weird, but I think Rico's ring style would work well as a CW. I'd have him doing some Richard Simmons workouts to make the weight (ala Jericho in WCW) and put him in the division just for the entertainment value.

Other than that, really liked your ideas.

The Naitch
03-26-2004, 05:19 PM
can someone explain how Booker T turned heel? I missed the first half of SD

PureHatred
03-26-2004, 05:31 PM
Booker came out and said he didnt want to be on Raw because Smackdown and the Smackdown fans were "Minor League." Then he said he was better than each and every wrestler in the SD dressing room.

The Naitch
03-26-2004, 05:55 PM
sweet.thanks

El Santo
03-27-2004, 06:30 PM
I was just thinking: how about a Booker T/John Cena feud? I think John and Booker have complimentary wrestling styles. Booker could cut a promo of how Cena is a disgrace to "his people's" music. (Sorta like how some people diss Eminem for stealing rap music from African-Americans.)

* A lesser idea would be that Teddy Long would have a surprising face turn by siding with John Cena: "Don't be hating the playa." :)

The Naitch
03-27-2004, 06:37 PM
I like Santo's idea.

Except have Teddy side with Booker seeing as how he's from RAW.

And I saw the heel turn. *spit* Now consider yourself insulted. Sucka! Now whachoogon do?

That worked well, although a heel turn that takes place in a backstage promo felt a bit odd. Oh well. Hopefull this will lead to some exciting SD

The Naitch
03-27-2004, 06:38 PM
ps- I'm beginning to dislike Cena's face raps. they are starting to suck

BLaZeR-
03-28-2004, 02:47 PM
I heard Bradshaw is going to get the title shot at Judgement Day while Booker is going to be buried by The Undertaker.

BasicThuganomics
03-28-2004, 03:37 PM
I heard Bradshaw is going to get the title shot at Judgement Day while Booker is going to be buried by The Undertaker.

Source????

BLaZeR-
03-28-2004, 03:41 PM
Source????

I seen it on wrestlezone last night.

Moongoose Mcqueen
03-28-2004, 05:51 PM
I think it would be awsome if Booker T got Teddy as his manager. And if booker is gonna fued with Taker it would compliment Paul Bearer perfectly.

I like the idea of Heyman managing RVD and having RVD fued with Cena, RVD could trash the fans and Cena, and have heyman do a lot of stuff to put him over as a heel, its hard to make RVD work as a heel but being managed by heyman, turning on the fans, and fueding with one of the top 2 faces on smackdown would do the trick.