PDA

View Full Version : Should Mickey Rourke compete at Wrestlemaina?

Rollermacka
02-01-2009, 08:30 PM
So is the Jericho Vs Rourke match on, or is it off, or dose no one care? I'm not too big on the idea of him wrestling at Wrestlemainia. I mean I understand that he isnt wrestling for the world titlein a tripple cage match of death like others have in the past, but am I the only one who dosent like the idea of a multi time world champ having to basically lose to an actor in the biggest pay per view of the year? I didnt hate the Akebono Vs Big Show Sumo match at 21, at least it was an athelete winning at a sport he was better at. So why do you think this is better than what WCW did with Arquette and Ready to Rumble?

CSL
02-01-2009, 08:36 PM
Because Mickey Rourke is a respected actor who is fresh off the back of a career performance in a universally hailed film and stands a very real chance of winning a 'Best Actor' Oscar

David Arquette at the time was a mildly famous actor more notable for having married the 2nd hottest bird on Friends than anything he did with his career.

And if it does happen, Rourke isn't necassarily going over

Jeritron
02-01-2009, 08:38 PM
You also need to take into account that Mickey is a physically strong guy, with a background in ring sports.
Having him wrestle would be no different than having Mr. T or Lawrence Taylor wrestle.
If Rourke went over Jericho, it'd be far more credible than Mayweather going over Big Show.

Dorkchop
02-01-2009, 08:42 PM
I wouldn't mind seeing it, but it might not happen. Jericho is one of the few guys who could pull it off. 2 months could be enough time to work out a decent match.

Mickey was so believable as Randy the Ram. If he were to wrestle at Mania, I'd love for him to come out as Randy the Ram and have the commentators act like they haven't seen him in a WWE ring in 20 years. I forget who originally said the part about the commentators... please forgive me.

Xero
02-01-2009, 08:43 PM
They could show old footage of Luger for his tron. :shifty:

Krimzon7
02-01-2009, 08:47 PM

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

CSL
02-01-2009, 08:55 PM

That's insulting to the talent of Randy 'The Ram' Robinson

FourFifty
02-01-2009, 09:20 PM
Only if it means having him on Piper's Pit.

thedamndest
02-01-2009, 09:39 PM
I didn't love the idea anyhow. I understand the need to go out and fetch the biggest star possible to make it the biggest show possible, but I think getting Mickey Rourke to wrestle Jericho was not necessarily the "biggest use" of Jericho's talent.

Kane Knight
02-01-2009, 09:41 PM
There's no comparison between Arquette and Rourke.

That being said, I wouldn't complain if they did it, but I won't be disappointed if they don't.

Fabien Barthez
02-01-2009, 10:00 PM
I don't see a huge problem with it. Jericho doesn't look like he's going to be booked in the title hunt for Mania, and with HBK/JBL on the books, It is the biggest match he could be booked in. It will get tons of outside press.

That being said, we watch guys on TV every week who have been wrestling for years, and we see them botch spots and moves, and some of them generally look terrible. Rourke isn't even a wrestler. He doesn't have more than 10 weeks of actual training to date. Even with Chris Jericho, if he can't wrestle a good match, he pressence is ruined. The whole premise for the angle is that he could legitimately threaten Chris Jericho.

Xero
02-01-2009, 10:07 PM
I think they should go the Boxing or possibly MMA route. I don't know how Rourke really did as a boxer, but if he was half decent it may translate well to a "special challenge" match.

Scott Delaney
02-01-2009, 10:17 PM
Mickey Rourke is a jabornie with no real wrestling skill. Unless it's a hybrid match where it isn't solely based on wrestling I would vote no.

Anybody Thrilla
02-02-2009, 10:51 AM
Mayweather/Big Show was very entertaining, so I'm willing to let this one pan out. If not, that's fine too, as long as they find a spot for Jericho.

Triple Naitch
02-02-2009, 11:00 AM
I can understand if Rourke thinks it will ruin his Oscar chances. But he should still be involved somehow with Jericho for Wrestlemania. Maybe as special guest ref or being in the corner for someone.

Anybody Thrilla
02-02-2009, 06:46 PM
I really don't see why Wrestlemania would ruin his Oscar chances. Heath Ledger OD'ed after his amazing performance. That isn't frowned upon, but participating in Wrestlemania is? I don't think so.

Xero
02-02-2009, 06:49 PM
Ledger went out on top with a rockstar's death. Rourke is headed to the top and working Mania might make him look weak and desperate.

Honestly, I don't know how politics work in Hollywood and if there's more to the win than the performance itself (outside influence), so maybe it would affect it.

Kane Knight
02-02-2009, 08:24 PM
I really don't see why Wrestlemania would ruin his Oscar chances. Heath Ledger OD'ed after his amazing performance. That isn't frowned upon, but participating in Wrestlemania is? I don't think so.
:rofl::rofl::rofl:

The Optimist
02-03-2009, 12:11 AM
In a perfect world, it's a nice spot for Jericho to be in between stints in Main Eventland.