PDA

View Full Version : What happened to Bobby Lashley?

BobBitchen
02-07-2009, 11:19 PM
I did not really think about it till my 10 yo asked where he went. My son has been playing SvsR 2008 and had seen him on the game.

Juan
02-07-2009, 11:30 PM
He asked for his release from WWE last January. He's now doing MMA

Juan
02-07-2009, 11:30 PM
I don'r really recall the reasons for his departure though

Lock Jaw
02-08-2009, 12:41 AM
Cheeseburger Overdose.

http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q223/Trrrath/6c4a8315d3bf050ef3a7df10ee6cc26c.png

Funky Fly
02-08-2009, 01:44 AM
Yeah, he quit a while back and is now doing MMA.

screech
02-08-2009, 01:58 PM
He's apparently injured and his upcoming fight is now canceled. I remember reading that recently.

Disturbed316
02-08-2009, 02:14 PM
He is now doing MMA and quit a while back, yeah.

jerichoholicninja
02-09-2009, 05:39 PM
Could someone explain to me why wrestlers want to become MMA'ers. Why would you want to go from one profession where you try not to hurt someone to one where the goal is to hurt someone? Is the money that much better? Is it the schedule, women, what? On top of that, I've watched MMA a couple of times and every fight comes down to two guys in the missionary position for two minutes.

Juan
02-09-2009, 05:44 PM
Could someone explain to me why wrestlers want to become MMA'ers. Why would you want to go from one profession where you try not to hurt someone to one where the goal is to hurt someone? Is the money that much better? Is it the schedule, women, what? On top of that, I've watched MMA a couple of times and every fight comes down to two guys in the missionary position for two minutes.

Maybe you should watch more MMA before asking this kind of question.

Funky Fly
02-09-2009, 05:56 PM
Juan is right. Even though they're fighting for real, they endure far less injury than they do wrestling because they aren't bumping 300 days a year and the money is the comparable.

RatedGSuperstar
02-09-2009, 07:29 PM

Very light work schedule, more mainstream fame, better paychecks if you do well, and being able to say you're a world class competitor in a "legitimate" sport would seem to be the main reasons.

Wolfpack423
03-23-2009, 02:20 PM
He is currently doing MMA, but I wouldn't rule out a return to the ring. I actually miss Bobby Lashley. I was a fan of him let me specify in the ring. I thought he had tremendous vertical leap for his size and I thought his skills were good in the ring. He would have kept improving if he stayed. His match with Cena was very good I thought. I hope Lashley returns at some point be it WWE or TNA.

abec
03-23-2009, 02:55 PM
and the money is the comparable.
The money is no where close to comparable. Undercard MMA gets normally $10k or LESS even in the UFC. You have to have a substantial record to make BIG money in a business where you usually fight 3 MAYBE 4 times a year. Now you DO make big money if you main event and win, but you have to be the top of the top to be able to pull it off, someone like Lashley aint going to make shit comparative to what he was probably making in the WWE. Also, if you LOSE you make shit. Making lots of money is not something many MMA fighters get to achieve.

Do a search for ufc fighter salary and you can get a fair idea of what its like in the big leagues, imagine how the people fighting at events that have 1000 people.

These numbers also include bonuses that Dana White gives such as fight of the night and best knock out which is pretty hypocriful considering he was knocking on EliteXC telling people they would get more money standing up and knocking out Kimbo then submitting him.

Last I recall main eventors made $250k-$800k in wwe, i could be wrong however.

Examples:
* BJ Penn ($250,000) def. Sean Sherk ($35,000)
* Wanderlei Silva (150,000) def. Keith Jardine ($10,000)
* Goran Reljic ($6,000) def. Wilson Gouveia ($18,000)
* Lyoto Machida ($100,000) def. Tito Ortiz ($210,000)
* Thiago Silva ($50,000) def. Antonio Mendes ($4,000)
* Rousimar Palhares ($10,000) def. Ivan Salaverry ($20,000)
* Rameau Sokoudjou ($80,000) def. Kazuhiro Nakamura ($20,000)
* Rich Clementi ($40,000) def. Terry Etim ($10,000)
* Yoshiyuki Yoshida ($12,000) def. Jon Koppenhaver ($8,000)
* Dong Hyun Kim ($40,000) def. Jason Tan ($3,000)
* Shane Carwin ($12,000) def. Christian Wellisch ($10,000)

Rob
03-26-2009, 07:17 PM
The money is no where close to comparable. Undercard MMA gets normally $10k or LESS even in the UFC. You have to have a substantial record to make BIG money in a business where you usually fight 3 MAYBE 4 times a year. Now you DO make big money if you main event and win, but you have to be the top of the top to be able to pull it off, someone like Lashley aint going to make shit comparative to what he was probably making in the WWE. Also, if you LOSE you make shit. Making lots of money is not something many MMA fighters get to achieve.

Do a search for ufc fighter salary and you can get a fair idea of what its like in the big leagues, imagine how the people fighting at events that have 1000 people.

These numbers also include bonuses that Dana White gives such as fight of the night and best knock out which is pretty hypocriful considering he was knocking on EliteXC telling people they would get more money standing up and knocking out Kimbo then submitting him.

Last I recall main eventors made $250k-$800k in wwe, i could be wrong however.

Examples:
* BJ Penn ($250,000) def. Sean Sherk ($35,000)
* Wanderlei Silva (150,000) def. Keith Jardine ($10,000)
* Goran Reljic ($6,000) def. Wilson Gouveia ($18,000)
* Lyoto Machida ($100,000) def. Tito Ortiz ($210,000)
* Thiago Silva ($50,000) def. Antonio Mendes ($4,000)
* Rousimar Palhares ($10,000) def. Ivan Salaverry ($20,000)
* Rameau Sokoudjou ($80,000) def. Kazuhiro Nakamura ($20,000)
* Rich Clementi ($40,000) def. Terry Etim ($10,000)
* Yoshiyuki Yoshida ($12,000) def. Jon Koppenhaver ($8,000)
* Dong Hyun Kim ($40,000) def. Jason Tan ($3,000)
* Shane Carwin ($12,000) def. Christian Wellisch ($10,000)

You're talking shit. The bottom WWE guys make peanuts. Less than $120,000 a year before road expenses.

An average UFC guy like say Marcus Davis makes say $20k a fight. double if wins and then makes best fight and best KO/submission bonuses and he gets to keep ALL his sponsorship money. He probably made at least $300,000 in his UFC cash ALONE last year. Easily did at least 500k though after everything else. CM Punk ain't making this money and he was the fucking world champion last year.

Rob
03-26-2009, 07:19 PM
And the wages should be performance based. WWE's ain't and that's why people quit. You spend your life trying to achieve your dream and when you get there, everyone wants to quit because they don't push anyone but their favourites. Taker, Michaels, HHH, etc would NEVER be on top in any other sport because younger, better, more popular people would have long taken over by now.

GD
03-27-2009, 12:28 AM
Bathturd made some really annoying excuses when he decided to leave the WWE.

Juan
03-27-2009, 01:16 AM
Yeah Michael Hayes being a racist is MAD annoying

FourFifty
03-27-2009, 03:48 AM
You're talking shit. The bottom WWE guys make peanuts. Less than $120,000 a year before road expenses.

However any half witted accountant can say that road/travel expenses are write offs.

CM Punk ain't making this money and he was the fucking world champion last year.Oh, yea, Punk was a champion. So was one of the Godfather's hos (held the same title as The Undertaker). I love Punk more than most people on this board, but his title run was the second biggest joke of a title run that I've seen (with Kane's 24 hour title run getting first place).

Xero
03-27-2009, 05:26 PM
I don't see the point in comparing MMA and professional wrestling in this case. They are two completely different beasts internally.

Rob
03-28-2009, 02:00 AM
However any half witted accountant can say that road/travel expenses are write offs. So what? It's still money that isn't going in your own pocket.

Oh, yea, Punk was a champion. So was one of the Godfather's hos (held the same title as The Undertaker). I love Punk more than most people on this board, but his title run was the second biggest joke of a title run that I've seen (with Kane's 24 hour title run getting first place).

Yeah compare a world title run with a hardcore title skit is a fair comparison. Enough of the Kane love too dude. Nobody cares. Kane was FAR from the worst booked world champion too. Rey Misterio and Chris Jericho were far worst booked and Vince McMahon was world champion for god sake. It doesn't matter if it's CM Punk or not. And what does CM Punk or Kane's world title run have to do with not being paid as much as a mid carder in the UFC? If the point is they weren't really world champions so they don't get paid like one then I have two arguements to that.

1 - It's bullshit. WWE books them all first class now and calls them world champions. The fans also call them world champions so any man love you have or bitching over booking of your favourites means absolutely fuck all.

2 - The UFC champions make more money doing 2-3 fights a year than any champion in the WWE including Triple H and that is before any of their own sponsorship deals too. Chuck Liddell had a $4 million year on UFC salary alone last year. Tito Ortiz wasn't far behind either. Nobody in WWE other than Triple H made more than $2 million last year.

Oh yeah, Rey Misterio signed for less than 100k a year when he first joined and he was a superstar already. Urijah Faber made more than that last year and he was fighting for the UFC's sister company!!

bigdaddysuperfreak
04-02-2009, 10:38 AM
You guys are also forgetting about sponsorship deals also

Kris P Lettus
04-02-2009, 01:34 PM
I think besides the money, the real reason is actual athletic competition as opposed to a staged exhibition.. Most prowrestlers were amateur wrestlers, football players, etc long before they were "pro" wrestlers.. That's why Lesnar first tried to go to the NFL.. He said he missed the actual athletic competition he got in college.. Atheletes are athletes for life and obviously, staging exhibition fights doesn't feed that hunger..

KayfabeMan
04-02-2009, 07:17 PM
Maybe they're not trying hard enough.

KayfabeMan
04-02-2009, 07:17 PM
Plus the fact that Lashley, Lesnar, etc. really weren't great to begin with.

Casey Jones
04-24-2009, 04:37 PM
Just ignore Kris P Lettus guys. The guy is obviously a mark for MMA and has lost all objectivity. The guy actually think that having muscle is meaningless. :lol:

DAMN iNATOR
04-24-2009, 05:20 PM
Just ignore Kris P Lettus guys. The guy is obviously a mark for MMA and has lost all objectivity. The guy actually think that having muscle is meaningless. :lol:

If you hadn't seen or heard, he's also now under contract to TNA.

Xero
04-24-2009, 05:56 PM
We love ya, Bobby!

Kris P Lettus
04-24-2009, 07:57 PM
The guy actually think that having muscle is meaningless. :lol:

Being overly muscular in a sport that thrives on cardio and endurance can be a major problem when it comes to feeding said muscles with oxygen..