PDA

View Full Version : Is there room for 500 +ers anymore?

Rollermacka
02-09-2009, 03:43 PM
So I read up on the other post about Haystack Calhoun and after looking at his "BIG" match up in the WWWF (Vince Sr. company) which was the 600 lb Haystacks Calhoun Vs the 800 lb Happy Humphrey in a renforced ring match. I was thinkin with Mark Henry being one of the few guys still around to be billed around 500 lbs, do you think there's any room in the WWE or TNA for a few more big 500 plus guys?

Xero
02-09-2009, 03:45 PM
I think keeping it low is a good thing. It makes the bigger guys spectacles again, instead of run-of-the-mill.

Krimzon7
02-09-2009, 04:46 PM
and that is unhealthy. Im glad the E got tough with BDV

jerichoholicninja
02-09-2009, 05:29 PM
Yes. If they have any ability you need to have big guys for variety. I've seen enough roided up freaks over the last few years that someone like BDV was at least unique. Disgusting, but unique.

Juan
02-09-2009, 05:35 PM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/0Is-J3s4IcI&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/0Is-J3s4IcI&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Lock Jaw
02-09-2009, 06:45 PM
I remember when I was a kid I used to think Earthquake and Typhoon were unstoppable monsters.

Fox
02-09-2009, 07:31 PM
Yeah, more guys like Big Daddy V is NOT a good idea.

Hanso Amore
02-09-2009, 07:56 PM
Henry is not billed at 500, the big show and Big Daddy V are the least 2.

Henry is billed at 400.

Rollermacka
02-09-2009, 08:52 PM
Henry is not billed at 500, the big show and Big Daddy V are the least 2.

Henry is billed at 400.

Yes. If they have any ability you need to have big guys for variety. I've seen enough roided up freaks over the last few years that someone like BDV was at least unique. Disgusting, but unique.

Mark Henry is one of those wrestlers like Big Show, where every once in a while they will say he's 400, 450, 475, 500 lbs etc. I agree that BDV was a nasty looking idea, the least they could have done is put his moobies away in a singlet that fit. I watch some of the "rumbles of the past" where you saw guys like One Man Gang/ Akeem, Yokozuna, Earthquake, Typhoon, Kamhala fighting where as nowadays you have alot of guys who are like Cena are just roided up big. I'm not saying go find some 700lb guy who can bearly walk 10 steps before being out of breath, just some variety in sizes.

DaVe
02-09-2009, 09:56 PM
Nah, Mark Henry was never billed much more than 400 lbs. In fact, he only ways about 375. He's just 6'1, and a strong-man, not a fat-man.

Big Vis has always been billed around 500lbs, though... He is about as big as they should get. Much more than that and they should be banned from wrasslin otherwise they'll die in the ring. Even the Show is only 441 nowadays.

Think about their health!

The Optimist
02-10-2009, 12:50 AM
http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t181/djones239/brule.jpg

Fox
02-10-2009, 01:03 AM
Nah, Mark Henry was never billed much more than 400 lbs. In fact, he only ways about 375. He's just 6'1, and a strong-man, not a fat-man.

Muscles weighs more than fat.

Mr. Nerfect
02-10-2009, 03:21 AM
Muscles weighs more than fat.

Yeah, but there is a lot more fat on Big Daddy V than there was muscle on Mark Henry.

Personally, I find it hard to take a guy in the shape of Big Daddy V too seriously. Fascinating character, but how is all that blobbish fat meant to be intimidating?

A guy's physique doesn't need to be chiseled, but builder or biker's muscle is at least appreciated.

BigDaddyCool
02-10-2009, 10:51 AM
Herny weights in around 400, and he is a wall of muscle. Show, looks to be reaching up to 500 again, even though they bill him at 449 or something.

I say if they can find a guy that can move well, and happens to be 400+ lbs, then there is no reason not to have him. They need very little build up to look impressive.

Mr. Nerfect
02-10-2009, 02:04 PM
What I find most dominating about a big man, is when he covers all his bases, and appears to have no weaknesses. Well, in a kayfabe sense, at least. In reality, Jimmy Wang Yang is probably much faster than Umaga, but on SmackDown!, Yang looked fucked because Umaga is much closer to Yang in speed than Yang is to Umaga in power.

How is a smaller guy meant to battle a bigger guy if the bigger guy can work the same style as them?

BigDaddyCool
02-10-2009, 02:16 PM
SHUT UP NOID

But I do agree. A big guy that can move around a ring easy is going to look better than a little guy any day.

Hanso Amore
02-10-2009, 03:04 PM
Vader

Mr. Nerfect
02-10-2009, 03:21 PM
Mick Foley put over Vladimir Kozlov really well when he was around. Granted, Kozlov is only billed as being like 302lbs, or something like that, but the way Foley used to talk about him being the perfect combat machine, listing his martial arts and fight experience, and stuff like that -- it pretty much made it seem like Kozlov was an untouchable beast.

My point there is that it helps if a big guy has more than size going for him. Whether it is speed, skill, a special move, a ringside presence, or something, power + something else really equates to an enjoyable big man, for me.

One thing that has really helped me like the Big Show, is that he's actually a pretty good worker. He understands the business, and he's not just a good worker for his size, but he's just a good worker overall. I wish commentary would take that approach with him, and not just put him over as "huge," but as "talented" first, and "huge" second.

Rollermacka
02-10-2009, 08:45 PM
Vader

<div><object width="480" height="348"><param name="movie" value="http://www.dailymotion.com/swf/k1y6AyGB8UJp0Pb7rI&related=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.dailymotion.com/swf/k1y6AyGB8UJp0Pb7rI&related=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="480" height="348" allowFullScreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always"></embed></object><br /><b><a href="http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1ksxm_vader-falls-lol_sport">VADER falls lol</a></b><br /><i>Uploaded by <a href="http://www.dailymotion.com/HHHater">HHHater</a></i></div>

:shifty:

Had to post, love Vader as much as the next guy but had to post it. I have noticed though, even guys like Umaga have slimmed down some from his Island Boyz days. Dont get me wrong he looks good in the ring, but am I the only one that misses seeing someone like King Kong Bundy or the One Man Gang splash someone of average size and make them seem tiny? Also, do you also think that maybe one of the reasons that the WWE dosent want to use/ higher alot of missively superheavyweights is because of the "shape" that America is in right now? Maybe they would rather see kids trying to look like Cena than Earthquake?

Vastardikai
02-10-2009, 09:28 PM
I can think of one good reason why there shouldn't be another 500+ lber.

Yokozuna.

He died less than 10 years after winning the WWF Title because of his weight.

Kritik
02-12-2009, 12:27 AM
As others have eludes to, as a publicly traded company, people that heavy can be a serious liability to the WWE.