PDA

View Full Version : Mario and Sonic at the Winter Olympics

Drakul
02-13-2009, 09:51 AM
<object width="480" height="295"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/No4ry0Tiho0&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/No4ry0Tiho0&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="295"></embed></object>

Sega has officially confirmed that Mario & Sonic At the Olympic Winter Games will be coming to Wii and DS in late 2009 and you'll be able to see the first screens in Issue 40 of Official Nintendo Magazine which goes on sale tomorrow.

Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Winter Games will take players to Vancouver, Canada, host city of the official 2010 Olympic Winter Games.

Developed by Sega of Japan, under the guidance of Shigeru Miyamoto, Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Winter Games you'll be competing as a cast of legendary characters, including some new faces to the series which will be revealed later this year.

The trailer that's now showing on our video player shows Mario, Sonic, Wario and Eggman snowboarding and other events confirmed so far include Alpine Skiing and Speed Skating but more events will be announced throughout the year. You'll also be able to use the Wii Balance Board for some events.

The Wii game will offer co-op and competitive gameplay where the Nintendo DS brings an intense competitive element using the Nintendo DS wireless capabilities.

"We are extremely happy to again team up with Nintendo and ISM on what promises to be another global success." said Naoya Tsurumi, CEO, SEGA of America and SEGA Europe. "Sonic will partner with Mario once more beneath the spotlight of the legendary Olympic Games. Together they will face new athletic challenges that will provide gamers with more of the exciting experiences unique to this series."

President Of Nintendo Of America Reggie Fils-Aime added "SEGA has been a valued publishing partner of Nintendo for many years and Mario and Sonic at the Olympic Winter Games is the ultimate representation of that relationship," We look for this game to continue the tradition its predecessor started by bringing new events, new characters, and new gameplay experiences to fans worldwide."

Finally Raymond Goldsmith, Chairman and CEO of ISM, said "To once again have Mario and Sonic and friends compete in Olympic sports and events in a winter setting is tremendously exciting for the Olympic Movement and the millions of gamers worldwide who enjoyed the characters' previous match up."

source:http://www.officialnintendomagazine.co.uk/article.php?id=7154

G
02-13-2009, 01:30 PM
Yeah, I read about this a couple weeks ago. Will download it for DS.

Funky Fly
02-13-2009, 03:16 PM
Same shit, different events?

Drakul
02-14-2009, 01:57 AM
Pretty much.

I'm not interested in the game to be honest but I thought I'd pass on the info.
Now, if they can stop with the sport spin-offs and make some kind of Mario and Sonic platformer and do it well, I'll be very very interested.

They have a lot of choice in a platformer. Play through a unique side to the story as Mario or Sonic. Maybe have a system of switching between the two during the levels, using each ones unique skills, like that old Bugs & Tazz game for the PS1. A Good Side story and Dark Side story like Sonic Adventure, maybe?
The idea is splitting at the seams with possibilities and yet they stick with just sport spin-offs.

Kalyx triaD
02-14-2009, 09:54 AM
I also thought of a Mario/Sonic cross-over game that wasn't some mini-game. I had this vision of Mario on his Kart along Sonic (on foot of course) racing toward some challenge that required they work together. Imagine Bowser using Eggman's tech to upgrade Koopa Troopa's into machines. I'd buy it.

Dorkchop
02-14-2009, 02:07 PM
I haven't even played the first one. I probably won't play this one. I'd like to play them, but they're probably only fun with friends and my friends rarely come over. If Sega is smart they'll learn what worked and what didn't work in the first title.

Dorkchop
02-14-2009, 02:07 PM
I think the first one sold 10 million copies. That's pretty nuts.

Funky Fly
02-14-2009, 04:18 PM
I also thought of a Mario/Sonic cross-over game that wasn't some mini-game. I had this vision of Mario on his Kart along Sonic (on foot of course) racing toward some challenge that required they work together. Imagine Bowser using Eggman's tech to upgrade Koopa Troopa's into machines. I'd buy it.

They need to do a Paper Mario/Sonic or a Super Mario & Sonic RPG right now.

Kalyx triaD
02-14-2009, 04:25 PM
That kind of game wouldn't use Sonic's play style well. Then again, recent Sonic don't even use Sonic's play style.

Funky Fly
02-14-2009, 10:55 PM
A Super Mario RPG game crossed over with Sonic doesn't need to. Like the original, you'd be doing the majority of the non-combat game as Mario. I could see a bunch of character specific sections like flying with Tails and racing (2D style) with Sonic, etc. Combat would like the SNES game, just with both Mario and Sonic characters.

Kalyx triaD
02-15-2009, 12:29 PM
You know what today's half-assed overly self-important 'reviewers' would say to that? "Well this crossover game is a nice effort, but it seems to have trouble resting on a solid gameplay engine. And it does nothing to push either of it's mechanics forward in the grand scheme of things. I know I gushed about this game at E3, but I'm gonna bitch about it now because sounding critical is what makes a good review. I'm also a huge douche. Subscribe to Insider!"