PDA

View Full Version : So I've Taken Up Golf

Krimzon7
02-14-2009, 07:59 AM
Ok guys and gals, I've taken up the sport of Golf. A tad bit of background on me:
I'm retiring from playing football. I've been playing Football since I was like 12. So It's like kicking an 18 year drug habit.
I played on the Offensive Line, which puts me at... you got it! 300+ pounds.
So I'm taking lessons, and for a brother who had NEVER picked up a club, I'm decent. Are there any other golfers here? Share some first experiences, advice, and any other comments.

GO!

Triple Naitch
02-14-2009, 09:03 AM
I used to play with my dad when I was 13 and hated it. He used to make me go out every weekend. But after he died, I found his clubs and started going out again. I went to the driving range this week and sucked it up pretty bad. I need some work, I may take lessons in the spring. But I'm also going to Miami next month and playing a little bit.

Krimzon7
02-14-2009, 09:26 AM
i'm totally green. I'm like working with just my pitching wedge. getting my swing down. I'm headed to my driving range now. I tried to whip out my driver, but I kept whiffing! Ima stick to what I've learned in my lessons.

Supreme Olajuwon
02-14-2009, 11:27 AM
I started playing when I was about 10 or 11. It's without question the hardest sport to play. Honestly, you're going to suck for such a long time until you figure out your rhythm. It can be frustrating at times because the slightest twitch or shoulder dip can drastically alter your swing. However, once you get it down golf is so much fun.

Lessons are pretty much a necessity so good for you for taking them

Krimzon7
02-14-2009, 01:08 PM
man, i'm just back from the range, and I feel like a fucking phenomenon! I was hitting straight, consistant shots. Granted, they were only going like 75-100 yards, the fact is they were where I wanted them. Man the amount of focus that you gotta maintain is ridicoulus(sp). I'm hooked.

Stickman
02-14-2009, 01:11 PM
I'm gunna buy a set of clubs this weekend hopefully. I want to get into it, i've golfed 18 holes for the first time this past summer (i've done pitch and putts and 9 holes before, along with countless driving ranges) and shot at 118. I was really happy with that, it was a pro course and teed off at 2pm on the hottest day of the year so I can't complain with that score at all.

Krimzon7
02-14-2009, 01:18 PM
Cool, I don't wanna touch a course until I can get a more consistant swing. Where do you plan on buying your clubs?

YOUR Hero
02-14-2009, 08:35 PM
Yeah I'm a golfer. Although, the last 2 seasons, I've only played maybe 6 times... 5 if not all 6 times of those times were 2 years ago.
If you don't practice, you don't improve.
Since you are brand new, this would be a wise move for you: Get lessons. That way you don't have to 'un-train' bad habits you might develop into your swing on your own. I really like golf, hopefully I have the chance to get it back in my leisure time.

YOUR Hero
02-14-2009, 08:36 PM
Find a cheap little golf course and have add it. Don't just be a golfing range warrior.

Triple Naitch
02-14-2009, 08:41 PM
There should be some local Par 3 courses around Atlanta.

Krimzon7
02-14-2009, 08:55 PM
Find a cheap little golf course and have add it. Don't just be a golfing range warrior.
That's the last thing I want. I am getting lessons. I plan on hitting a course in like 6 weeks. I'm telling you, I had a lesson at a driving range, and this beatnik dude helped me get some solid fundamentals. The PGA superstore offers me some training, as well as take home drills. I don't wanna be short changed. After my first real week with this game, I feel pretty good.

Krimzon7
02-14-2009, 08:56 PM
There should be some local Par 3 courses around Atlanta.

There are TONS of courses. I'm from South Carolina, and Hilton Head has a ton of beautiful courses. I won't be hurting for places to take my game.

YOUR Hero
02-14-2009, 10:21 PM
Just don't be a driving range warrior. I know guys that do nothing but smack balls at the driving range. Come on.

Downunder
02-15-2009, 03:48 AM
I play twice a week most weeks, it's just a social thing, me and three other mates, 9 or 18 holes and then get smashed - keeps me out of the house and the walk probably does some good to (although it's not done a lot for John Daley).

Forget the driving range, just hit the course - golf is more than just long drives, much much more. Take a lesson and get out there, you will learn far more that way than just on the range.

Krimzon7
02-15-2009, 09:52 AM
Great feedback. Hero, trust me buddy, the last thing I wanna do is be the only fool that just hits the range. I wanna finish my first run of lessons, then my teacher and i will be hitting the course. some of my lessons will include putting and the like. I've only whipped out my driver like once, I stick to working with my irons, and maybe my 3 hybrid. I wonder though, how many guys are just Driving range warriors?

Supreme Olajuwon
02-15-2009, 09:54 AM
Oh yeah, there was something else I wanted to say. Fuck you being able to play golf in February. Fucking bullshit.

Krimzon7
02-15-2009, 10:16 AM
Supreme, you're totally welcome to come on down and hit the links with me.

YOUR Hero
02-15-2009, 11:00 AM
It's not until May that we get a chance to get on the courses. By Mid-Sept. they're shut down.

Krimzon7
02-15-2009, 12:04 PM
So my coworker knows that I'm just learning, and he's insisting that I go out with him for 18 holes tomorrow. I told him that I absolutely suck and that I'm not really comfortable yet. he's like: it's a good measuring stick, you'll be able to better guage your game if you just do it. So why wouldn't I take my friend up?

Sting Fan
02-16-2009, 02:41 AM
Just got for it dude, gives you a good indication of where your at and what your weaknesses are.

im a big guy myself and on the range I can absolutely pummel it, but put me on a course and my accuracy (length wise especialy) goes to all hell and I often three putt simple holes.

Im working on these things now to improve my game, I only started out about 6-8 months ago and im on a 21 handicap, I play with a bunch of ten handicappers and its good to keep chellegenging yourself.

Supreme Olajuwon
02-16-2009, 03:26 AM
yeah make sure you practice your short game as much or more as you practice your driving/approach

you can go 500 yards in 2 swings and then go 30 feet in 5 if you don't practice around the green

Downunder
02-16-2009, 06:48 AM
It's not until May that we get a chance to get on the courses. By Mid-Sept. they're shut down.

We play 12 months of the year :cool:

YOUR Hero
02-16-2009, 10:06 AM
We play 12 months of the year :cool:
you're no son of mine!

Krimzon7
02-16-2009, 03:55 PM
So I've just come home from the green and BOY DID I SUCK! I had tons of fun though! I blew chunks off the tee, but my approach shots were great. My putting was lackluster. But the good parts, I routinely double and triple bogeyed. Which was ahead of what I expected. I also even hit a par on a Par Three hole! It was over a sand wedge, and I played that shit perfectly! The group I was playing with couldn't believe that this was my first week playing. I feel pumped, and I'm going for my lesson tonight. I've got a lot to work on!

Bad Company
02-17-2009, 09:42 PM
I try to get out on the course once a week. Love it :D