PDA

View Full Version : Something about the current title scene...

Mr. Nerfect
02-18-2009, 09:23 AM
So, John Cena is getting a rematch for the World Heavyweight Championship, right? Where is Edge's rematch for the WWE Championship? I'm thinking back, and I cannot actually remember him getting too many official "rematches" after his title losses. It's not just now I'm thinking of this, it has been on my mind for a while.

Am I right in recalling that Edge hasn't had rematches for his championships? He normally recontends, or gets put into a special match with his opponent by Vickie Guerrero, doesn't he? I think I remember the same thing happening with MVP and the US Title: no rematch. Why do all these slimy heels (MVP was a heel at the time) not have the loop-holes in their contracts, but the faces do? I think the WWE have actually been fairly consistent with who they give their "rematch clauses" too, actually. If only they could be that consistent throughout...

Anyway, with both the WWE Championship and World Heavyweight Championship under SmackDown! jurisdiction, and Vickie Guerrero obviously having a favour towards her husband, Edge -- why doesn't she grant Edge a "rematch" for the WWE Championship? It'd just make a good episode of SmackDown!, or something.

But let's say the WWE did do this, and Edge actually won the WWE Championship again, just to fuck with our brains. What if the WWE swerved us with a main event we haven't seen coming yet:

Edge vs. Randy Orton vs. Triple H vs. John Cena for the WWE Championship and World Heavyweight Championship

Not a complete unification, but the guy who wins the belts goes between the shows and represents RAW as World Heavyweight Champion, and SmackDown! as WWE Champion, until he loses one of the belts and gets stuck exclusively on the other.

The down side to this is that it is another multi-man match at WrestleMania. But it tidies the rest of the card up a bit, and it seems a lot more interesting to me than the singles matches they have planned. Plus, when Triple H wins, he can call himself a 15-time World Champion.

Would that be horrible? It's just something I was thinking about tonight, and figured the WWE could do.

The Mackem
02-18-2009, 09:26 AM
Just reminded me of a good match back in the day when it was Angle vs. Benoit vs. Jericho for the WWF European and Intercontinental titles. First fall for one, second for the other. Imagine that kind of situation (inter brands) for both titles.

BigDaddyCool
02-18-2009, 09:28 AM
That would be horrible. Edge doesn't need official rematch clauses in his "contracts" he is fucking Vickie. He gets rematches and inserted into matches whenever he feels like. Plus Edge is greedy, but not that greedy. He just wants a title, he doesn't care which one, just as long as he has one. But he doesn't want 2 because then he knows everyone is gunning for him. He isn't stupid.

Also that would really fuck up the current storylines which are coming together nicely. What is the problem with just having one on one title matches at mania? Your idea sucks.

Afterlife
02-18-2009, 09:33 AM
No, his idea is pretty sweet. That would be an epic twist that nobody sees coming. And it'd be easy to resolve after Mania. Just have Backlash be the point where the challenger "brings the tritle home" to his respective brand.

Kane Knight
02-18-2009, 09:44 AM
This sorta sounds like the initial roster split. This time, we waste a slot at 'Mania.

Impact!
02-18-2009, 09:57 AM
I'm shocked BDC and KK don't like the idea :lol:

BigDaddyCool
02-18-2009, 09:59 AM
Just because it is noid, doesn't stop it from being a dumb idea. Right now the story lines make sence and there is no need to confuse them further by making Edge go after HHH when Edge is busy with Cena and HHH and Orton have a good program starting.

XL
02-18-2009, 10:23 AM
Can't say I'm a fan of the idea tbh. I think I stray towards traditionalism when it comes to WM title bouts.

Having said that, I'm still not excited to see Cena v Edge AGAIN and Orton v HHH AGAIN.

BigDaddyCool
02-18-2009, 10:44 AM
Can't say I'm a fan of the idea tbh. I think I stray towards traditionalism when it comes to WM title bouts.

Having said that, I'm still not excited to see Cena v Edge AGAIN and Orton v HHH AGAIN.

I agree with that, plus it isn't like we haven't seen Cena, Edge, Orton, and HHH in a match together before either.

Afterlife
02-18-2009, 11:08 AM
Just because it is noid, doesn't stop it from being a dumb idea. Right now the story lines make sence and there is no need to confuse them further by making Edge go after HHH when Edge is busy with Cena and HHH and Orton have a good program starting.

I don't see what would be so "confusing" about a tall order fatal fourway. The thing about Mania is that it kind of needs to be new. And these singles matches are anything but.

BigDaddyCool
02-18-2009, 11:14 AM
Afterlife, this idea isn't original either, it has been done a few times already.

BigDaddyCool
02-18-2009, 11:19 AM
Also, we just came out of a ppv with 2 clusterfuck mainevents, another clusterfuck would be boring at this point.

Triple Naitch
02-18-2009, 11:30 AM
Also, we just came out of a ppv with 2 clusterfuck mainevents, another clusterfuck would be boring at this point.

Very true. I prefer my Wrestlemania main events to be a simple one on one with a clear cut winner. With the MITB already a Wrestlemania staple, another clusterfuck match will just create headaches.

BigDaddyCool
02-18-2009, 11:36 AM
Plus something tells me that it might be JBL v Shawn Micheals v Undertaker as well.

Oh, and there is a wrestlemania jobber battle royal.

Afterlife
02-18-2009, 11:53 AM
Afterlife, this idea isn't original either, it has been done a few times already.

And I'm not saying it's perfect. But I don't recall this match idea being employed before.

BigDaddyCool
02-18-2009, 11:59 AM
What, a fatal four way at wrestlemania? That has been done a few times. Or do you mean where 2 titles were up for contiention in the same match? If by that, I just don't like that idea for a Mania, no for a late summer ppv, maybe, but not Mania.

Kane Knight
02-18-2009, 12:58 PM
Just because it is noid, doesn't stop it from being a dumb idea.

A dumb idea is a dumb idea. Noid just has more. But then, I have a history of being against title unifications...I know people want this to be BDC/KKvNoid.

Side note, I thought Noid was one of the people most vocally against making the Main Event a triple threat instead of a one-on-one deal...So I was a little surprised he'd suggest adding two.

Sorry, I'll let you folks get back to conspiracy theories.

BigDaddyCool
02-18-2009, 01:13 PM
The more I think about it, the more overly complicated this idea is. Edge v Cena, and HHH v Orton is fine. If Edge loses to Cena, he could get a rematch against Cena for the title. If edge loses that he can rematch against HHH/Orton if he sees fit, or just get Vickie to insert him into the title scene. The other 3 guys don't have claims to both titles, only one (well Orton can challenge for either, but once he picks, he can only challenge for that one title). HHH and Cena only have claims to a single title right now, why give them a chance to win the other?

Afterlife
02-18-2009, 01:43 PM
What, a fatal four way at wrestlemania? That has been done a few times. Or do you mean where 2 titles were up for contiention in the same match? If by that, I just don't like that idea for a Mania, no for a late summer ppv, maybe, but not Mania.

Nooooo, I meant this match as a whole. And guess what -- it doesn't HAVE to be at Mania. I prefer 1 on 1 Mania title bouts myself, but pointing out this possibility isn't "dumb". I think it'd work VERY well for Backlash, especially if Edge loses to Cena. Then he'd be up for a rematch to both Trips AND Cena.

JT
02-18-2009, 01:50 PM
Actually, I'm one of the few people who isn't always a total downer on Noid's ideas. I like Val Venus and I like some of his match suggestions, but this one is just plain bad.

With the Orton build up in the last 2 months and the details involved with it, this is the first time they're building a HHH vs. Orton match and I'm not disappointed. It's like mopping to see Batman Begins after watching Batman and Robin, or to realize Batman Begins is pretty good.

As for Cena vs. Edge, I'm not exactly thrilled about it. Not to mention I now call Cena the "Heat Killer" because everytime a heel builds some, Cena no-sells it on the mic and kills it. However, these guys have a long past during their Raw days, and maybe something good can come out of it here.

However, mixing two VERY different storylines is just plain fucking dumb...that's a Russo idea. I'm not down on you alot Noid, but for once I'm in total agreement with BDC. It's an un-necesary gimmick match, but an un-needed title unification, with people fighting for very different reasons. I'm shocked you even suggested this.

Nicky Fives
02-18-2009, 02:30 PM
not the worst idea..... I think it could work.... making it 2 falls would be better.... say Orton winning one to take to Raw, and Cena or Edge taking one to Smackdown

BigDaddyCool
02-18-2009, 02:31 PM
No, that is horrible, plus Cena is Raw, not Smackdown, moron.

Triple Naitch
02-18-2009, 02:50 PM
When did they even come up with the idea of a rematch clause? Back in the day if you lost your title, you had to work your way back up the ladder.

BigDaddyCool
02-18-2009, 02:55 PM
It has been around for a while now. I think it give a convient reason for them to have another title match to continue a feud instead of having the loser of the title have to start from scratch. Plus Batista has infinite title shots and rematches.

FourFifty
02-18-2009, 08:08 PM
Easy way to explain rematch clauses and lack their of in kayfabe- "Each contract is different. Some people gave up their rematch clauses for their own reasons. Edge giving up his rematch clause allowed him to jump brands."

Mr. Nerfect
02-18-2009, 11:30 PM
Just reminded me of a good match back in the day when it was Angle vs. Benoit vs. Jericho for the WWF European and Intercontinental titles. First fall for one, second for the other. Imagine that kind of situation (inter brands) for both titles.

That is something I figured they could do, as well.

By the way, just to clarify: I can see a lot of flaws in this idea. It isn't something that I would personally choose over, say, Shawn Michaels vs. Chris Jericho. I'd probably take it over the two main events the WWE is presenting which have been done to death.

Some of the biggest positives I can see stemming from it are:

* It means that instead of two 20-minute World Title matches, where one has to bow out to another, you just get one 30-minute match for both titles. That's 10 minutes that can go to giving another match some time, which gets more of the WWE's stars on the card. That boosts morale and allows them to showcase some of their more marketable "non-headling" talent.

* Triple H, John Cena, Randy Orton and Edge are four men that arguably deserve to close the show. Well, they are four men that arguably could, and it wouldn't be laughable. Instead of just pairing them off in matches done to death, you can put them in a fresh environment, and there are no fights about who closes.

* It's a unique main event, which likely won't be forgotten. It's a bit untraditional, although it wouldn't be the first time something like it was done, and when people think back to WrestleMania 25, they can think back to four of the guys the WWE was trying to push the hardest fighting for two World Titles.

Mr. Nerfect
02-18-2009, 11:46 PM
A dumb idea is a dumb idea. Noid just has more. But then, I have a history of being against title unifications...I know people want this to be BDC/KKvNoid.

Side note, I thought Noid was one of the people most vocally against making the Main Event a triple threat instead of a one-on-one deal...So I was a little surprised he'd suggest adding two.

Sorry, I'll let you folks get back to conspiracy theories.

I do not like multi-man main events at WrestleMania, it is true. That being said, I'm not on the whole "RAW's ending was awesome!" boat. I thought it was...well, quite frankly, shit. And I'm not someone who is always down on the product. It does seem that WrestleMania comes around, though, I am most interested in Money in the Bank, or something.

The main events at WrestleMania have been so predictable and/or bland for years. And it's not so bad that they are predictable. Something predictable can be awesome (for example, Batista turning on Evolution). Bland is more the problem.

I was fine with having Edge vs. Triple H, and even John Cena vs. Randy Orton. Cena vs. Orton has been done to death, but given that Orton beat Cena at Mania last year, in a multi-man match, and that Cena never really got payback, and could be given some kayfabe doubt in the story...it could be pretty good. Edge vs. Triple H would have been a great match that hasn't been done too much, and would put two of the WWE's brightest attractions over the past half-decade or so, in a headlining-level match.

I don't like that the WWE switched it up for no good reason at all, other than they hadn't really been building Cena/Orton, and that Triple H is *gasp* married to the boss' daughter. Which seems like such a retcon of their 2002 stuff, even though they could say they got married again behind the scenes. Whatever.

Also, does it make sense for Randy Orton to challenge Triple H? If I were Orton, I'd be choosing Jack fucking Swagger over The Game right now. Edge would be my first choice, and given that Orton has more to prove as World Heavyweight Champion (he lost the belt in just 28 days, a joint record until Batista and Chris Jericho beat him), I could see Orton going after Edge, as part of this storyline.

Triple H then doesn't have a clue who he is facing. He says "nope, I'm getting Orton," and then whichever McMahon that feels like overturning Vickie Guerrero shows up, and says that Randy Orton is facing Triple H. Orton says he has a right to choose, and the McMahon says he does, but the Royal Rumble contract never said that he had to get his shot one-on-one.

I agree with Afterlife and BDC, that it could be a better program to run after Mania (Edge could get Vickie Guerrero to give him a WWE Title rematch and/or World Heavyweight Title rematch after he loses the WHT to Cena), but I personally think two things:

1) That Edge vs. Cena and Triple H vs. Orton are boring as fuck main events.

2) That the WWE could do this. Especially given the tangled web they have already created. Triple H is going to be defending against a RAW guy, and Edge is going to be defending against a SmackDown! guy? Serious?

Mr. Nerfect
02-18-2009, 11:48 PM
Easy way to explain rematch clauses and lack their of in kayfabe- "Each contract is different. Some people gave up their rematch clauses for their own reasons. Edge giving up his rematch clause allowed him to jump brands."

Well, to the best of my knowledge, I don't think Edge actually has a rematch clause. That would explain why he never got his rematch. As I said, and BDC then mimicked, he just gets Vickie Guerrero to put him in a title match.

Tazz Dan
02-19-2009, 03:37 AM
Yeah sorry Noid, gotta agree with the others. Pretty bad idea. Plus I'm pretty sure Edge enforced a rematch clause somewhere not long ago, and I'm about to go over my tapes to find it.

Mr. Nerfect
02-19-2009, 08:23 AM
If you can find it, Tazz, my hat's off to you.

For the record: I don't have a problem with people disagreeing with me, at all. I just have a problem with douchebags. ;)