PDA

View Full Version : Who's going to take the MITB Match?

Xero
02-18-2009, 05:27 PM
Or, as some call it, "Free Ride to the Top".

Might be Morrison's year.

Juan
02-18-2009, 05:31 PM
http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc56/a728244/MVP.gif

Xero
02-18-2009, 05:33 PM
http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc56/a728244/MVP.gif

I cannot watch that without saying "BALLIN'!"...

Jeritron
02-18-2009, 05:33 PM
I dunno. Seems like MVP is a favorite among people. I think Punk could repeat too. I wouldn't mind Morrison, but I'd like to see him lose his cash-in, because I want him to develop more.

I guess I'd have to reserve my prediction til I see who's in there to start with. Guys who will definitely, or maybe, be in there: Rey, Punk, Shelton, MVP, Bourne, R Truth, Kofi, Regal, Finlay, Kennedy

Morrison, Miz, Rhodes, Dibiase, Carlito are all possible entrants. I'd rather see Miz/Morrison vs Priceless Players vs Primo/Carlito vs Cryme Tyme in a 4 corners match for both sets of tag titles though.
It'd be better for everyone involved, and free up space in MITB.

Legend Killer
02-18-2009, 06:47 PM
Christian or Punk repeats.

MVP-No
Morrison- Not Yet
Kofi- Nope
Kennedy- Had he returned earlier, but no.

Cuzziebro
02-18-2009, 07:22 PM
Morrison, Miz, Rhodes, Dibiase, Carlito are all possible entrants. I'd rather see Miz/Morrison vs Priceless Players vs Primo/Carlito vs Cryme Tyme in a 4 corners match for both sets of tag titles though.
It'd be better for everyone involved, and free up space in MITB.

I agree, and at the rate all four of these teams are going it could be a hell of a match. I would definitely like to see it.

Mr. Nerfect
02-19-2009, 12:25 AM
I'd rather just see Mizorrison vs. The Colons. Let that match open the show, and let them go all-out. Fantastic opener. Miz & Morrison win both sets of Tag Team Titles, and maybe The Funks go to present them with them, and The A-Listers are just like "Who the fuck are you?"

Let's take a look at the some of the people suggested as winners here:

Christian
He won't win, because he won't be in the match. He'll be facing Jack Swagger, and possibly Finlay, for the ECW Championship. When Matt Hardy was revealed as Jeff Hardy's "Black Cloud," I assumed Christian would win, but his program with Jack Swagger is too pressing.

MVP
Hmm, I don't think so. They have him turn face by defeating Big Show (a main eventer), and instead of restoring MVP to his previous level, they have him go after the US Title? I don't know. It was more suited to his heel gimmick, anyway. Plus, MVP might be wrestling Shelton Benjamin, and possibly Chavo Guerero, for the US Title anyway.

CM Punk
Punk repeating would be interesting. It's not far-fetched, and it allows them to get him back into that main event scene with a stronger resume behind him. If Punk goes into the match, I think he is a lock to win. There are plenty of other guys who could use the chance to shine, and it's just a chance for Punk to get hurt. Plus, if Punk goes in and loses, then it means the WWE doesn't give a shit about the IC Championship, which makes you wonder why they put the title on Punk in the first place?

I'm getting the feeling that we may see something happen with Punk and the IC Title at WrestleMania. JBL could challenge him, or even Kane. And past those two, you have a rematch with William Regal, or even a fun face vs. face match with Rey Mysterio or Kofi Kingston. Nah, I don't think Punk will even be in the match.

John Morrison
The WWE hinted at splitting them up, but they didn't pull the trigger. They like both guys, but they seem reluctant to separate them. While Morrison is attached to The Miz, I can't see him winning. He's also got this program with The Colons. Granted, everything might be wrapped up before Mania, and Morrison is a solo go without a definite program, but until then, even if he makes it into the match (alongside Carlito, most likely), I think he will shine, and then lose.

Until we're sure of who is even going into the match, I think it's a bit hard to predict. I got a funny feeling on RAW, though. With the stigma still flowing from his Elimination Chamber performance, and him moving so much merchandise, being quite over, and being a fresh and (arguably) exciting addition to the match -- I could see Rey Mysterio winning it this year.

The only problem with that, is that Rey has already won a World Title, so it's not elevating a new guy, per se, which seems the idea of the match, but Rey is going to need a bit of help if he's ever going to get legitimately close to the main event again. MITB could be it.

Mr. Nerfect
02-19-2009, 12:25 AM
So, perhaps unfortunately, my guess right now is leaning towards Rey Mysterio.

Fox
02-19-2009, 01:17 AM
Edge for the surprise win.

Dave Youell
02-19-2009, 03:20 AM
JBL

No Seriously

Think about it,

6 weeks of TV to go to Mania, he’s not going to be taking on Taker, he’s all about the money and has talked non stop about being champ in Texas

Tazz Dan
02-19-2009, 03:31 AM
I'm thinking maybe one of the Legacy members. Having them pushed harder will only help the group, ala Evolution. Morrison is a possibility, but I don't see them splitting with The Miz yet.

I can't really think of to many Mid Card talent ready to make the next step other than those I mentioned, MVP, or possibly Matt Hardy.

Krimzon7
02-19-2009, 06:54 AM
Unless they do some type of swerve like they did at NWO, I don't think either Hardy would take the case. If so, my money's on Jeff. MVP would be nice, but I think that He will steal the show with Shelton and possibly Chavo. Whoever said JBL may actually be on to something, but I don't see him competing in it, only running in at the last minute in some really REALLY heel move.

D Mac
02-19-2009, 07:08 AM
http://www.tpww.net/forums/showthread.php?t=86750

Inadequacy
02-19-2009, 08:09 AM
I wouldn't mind Morrison, but I'd like to see him lose his cash-in, because I want him to develop more.

I really like this idea. But also have Morrison develop a huge chip on his shoulder after it. Nothing too over the top but just something that makes him a more serious character. Almost as if he realizes he needs to be less flashy and starts focusing on just getting the job done.

Something like that, I don't know.

Mr. Nerfect
02-19-2009, 08:22 AM
I think Morrison being so flashy is what makes him awesome. At this stage of the game, anyway. We don't need another Chris Jericho walking around.

JBL winning is something I thought about. I could see him being in the match, but it would just suck. But I can see the WWE doing it. I think it's a heel's turn to win it this year.

On RAW, during Jamie Noble's spiel, I couldn't help but imagine a scenario where he ran down during the match, and stole the briefcase, ending the match in a no contest, leaving many people pissed, as Jamie Noble claimed that the Money in the Bank contract is just for a title shot, and is not stipulated to only belong to the winner. So he signs on the dotted line, and earns a title match whenever he wants. Ratings.

Either Noble or Santino Marella doing that would be both infuriating, but gets them places.

Supreme Olajuwon
02-19-2009, 10:09 AM
It's possible that they could build up the Hardy feud as the main event for SummerSlam. If they that's the case, Matt Hardy is the obvious choice for me to win MITB. I agree with whoever said they need a heel to win and Hardy seems like far and away the best choice as it would give him a ton of momentum. Plus it's a safe push from Creative's standpoint. They could try to push someone from midcard to low main event, but Hardy winning would make him a full fledged star.

Anybody Thrilla
02-19-2009, 12:36 PM
I could almost see Cody or Ted winning (with both of them somehow making it into the match for extra advantage) and then passing the case along to Randy Orton.

Indifferent Clox
02-19-2009, 12:40 PM
Evan bourne.

Legend Killer
02-19-2009, 12:41 PM
Pay Me Some Money IF This Happens!!!!

HBK loses against Taker, pissing him off to no end...Turning him into Mania 13 Bret Hart. Michaels runs down to the ring and takes the briefcase during MITB. He goes into the back and cuts his first Heel Promo in ages.

Cena defeats Edge, HBK comes out and cashes in. HBK wins the World Heavyweight Championship.

This keeps Taker's streak alive and keeps Michaels as Mr. Wrestlemania.

Anybody Thrilla
02-19-2009, 12:47 PM
Taker's streak was billed as one of the main attractions last year. With the WHC thrown in, it was THE main attraction. I don't see HBK/Taker happening before MITB. It's just Booking 101.

Jeritron
02-19-2009, 02:53 PM
Yea ABT said it right. Not only will Taker/Michaels be towards the end, but MITB will more than likely be the first or second match on the card.

#1-norm-fan
02-19-2009, 04:15 PM
Taker's streak was billed as one of the main attractions last year. With the WHC thrown in, it was THE main attraction. I don't see HBK/Taker happening before MITB. It's just Booking 101.

That doesn't really matter. Not to say that LK's idea would happen but if they wanted it to happen, they would just flip around the match order to make the storyline work. Not that far-fetched.

Everyone was wondering why the SD Elimination Chamber match wasn't main eventing No Way Out, much less why it was opening the show but then we found out that it was done in an order to work for the storyline they had planned.

If WWE wanted things to go that way, they would obviously position the matches so that they could do it.

#1-norm-fan
02-19-2009, 04:19 PM
By the way, my early pick for MITB winner is MVP. He just seems primed for it. After an awful year, the losing streak and such, he gets back to winning, turns face and wins MITB in a miraculous turn around.

Krimzon7
02-19-2009, 04:25 PM
Cant you see the blinged out briefcase? I don't think that MVP will even be in the match. The US Title match could absolutely steal the show if the WWE puts it on the WM card. will kennedy be back for that?

Afterlife
02-19-2009, 05:05 PM
Or, as some call it, "Free Ride to the Top".

Might be Morrison's year.

Free Ride to the Top? lol Like, for Punk and Kennedy?

Mr. Nerfect
02-19-2009, 05:24 PM
Cant you see the blinged out briefcase? I don't think that MVP will even be in the match. The US Title match could absolutely steal the show if the WWE puts it on the WM card. will kennedy be back for that?

I think Mr. Kennedy will be in the match. I think Evan Bourne is pretty much a lock, too.

Afterlife
02-19-2009, 07:29 PM
And watch him break his other foot.

Xero
02-19-2009, 07:31 PM
lol

Mr. Nerfect
02-20-2009, 08:50 PM
I'm going to take a wild stab at the match:

John Bradshaw Layfield vs. Rey Mysterio vs. Kofi Kingston vs. Evan Bourne vs. John Morrison vs. Carlito vs. Mr. Kennedy vs. Vladimir Kozlov

To me, this seems to make the most sense right now. JBL is not going to face The Undertaker at WrestleMania, and he's really got nothing better to do. He doesn't really suit a Ladder Match, but he could work some good spots in, and there are plenty of guys to cover for him. You also need some former World Champions in there to really make it look like a "main event" match, and not just a bunch of mid-carders scrapping for a shot they don't deserve.

For such a high-flyer, Rey Mysterio has been in surprisingly few Ladder Matches. I'm surprised he hasn't been in MITB yet, and he's really got nothing better to do for Mania. He always makes a good face foil for JBL, too.

Kofi Kingston seems like a perfect fit for this year's match. He's a rising star, and he got screwed out of his World Heavyweight Title shot at No Way Out. What better way for him to avenge himself than earning the right to challenge the World Heavyweight Champion whenever he wants.

Evan Bourne is just a perfect fit for the match. He'll probably be this year's MVP (not Montel; most valuable). Well, he, John Morrison and Kofi Kingston would probably be slugging it out for the spot.

I can't see the WWE having John Morrison & The Miz vs. The Colons at WrestleMania, anymore. I don't know why. Instead, I see John Morrison beating Primo in a MITB qualifying match, and Carlito beating The Miz. Maybe Primo and The Miz can work a dark match against each other, or something? A DVD exclusive match between those two could be pretty good.

I'm sure I read that Mr. Kennedy would be healthy in time for WrestleMania. As a former winner, he'd add a lot to the match, and the heat would probably be going strong off his return. There's not really enough time to get him a proper program started.

Vladimir Kozlov is a pick I don't like, but where else is he going to be? I wouldn't mind it if the WWE left him off the card, but I can't see that happening. The lug will probably get some segments to tear people apart, and look like a machine doing it. Like JBL, he's also got people to cover for him.

Mr. Nerfect
02-20-2009, 08:51 PM
And, unfortunately, Rey Mysterio wins, and talks about how he wants to prove he can be World Heavyweight Champion again.

Or for the first time ever. Take your pick.

Heyman
02-20-2009, 09:44 PM
If it was up to me, I'd go with MVP.

Mr. Nerfect
02-20-2009, 10:49 PM
My personal choice would be Shelton Benjamin. Let MVP be the US Champion, and then climb the ranks cleanly.

Krimzon7
02-21-2009, 09:14 AM
i think shelton is due for a shot at the ME. I worry about his ability to carry a promo, and is the brass willing to give him another shot with a push. he's appeared to be a solid performer for years, since his last string of 'inconsistancies'. I understand that the fans love him, but Jeff Hardy has definitely fucked up more than he has. I say give the brother a shot.

Afterlife
02-21-2009, 09:59 AM
I hate to say it, but Shelton is still just Hardcore Holly to me.

Krimzon7
02-21-2009, 10:03 AM
he's an asshole who's lucky to have a job?

Afterlife
02-21-2009, 10:05 AM
No. He's a human charisma vacuum and I can't seem to give a damn.

Krimzon7
02-21-2009, 10:13 AM
ah, ok. Isn't there some way to play to that? if that is the general consensus of the 'universe'?

Afterlife
02-21-2009, 12:19 PM
Holly was a main event player in the new ECW for a time. That didn't mean he was popular.

thedamndest
02-21-2009, 03:23 PM
Shelton will end up with Haas after the draft, either in a feud or tag team or both. I say that because they've tried so many different angles with Shelton, face/heel/having a mother at ringside, and nothing is really working working. He's good, but he's too inconsistent and they've used him too inconsistently to push him towards the main event right now (unless it's a run at the ECW title, of course). His abilities are great, but he still lacks that IT factor that someone like MVP, who, even by going on a losing streak, remains HUGELY over with the fans has.

That said, I would rather see both of these men competing for the US title at Mania than in the MitB match, but I will take MVP or, going out on a limb, BIG SHOW to win the ladder match.

GD
02-21-2009, 03:26 PM
I personally believe that Rey has performed well and he definately deserves the MITB briefcase. Hopefully he cashes it on the EC'dub title.

Anybody Thrilla
02-21-2009, 04:17 PM
What a waste of a case that would be.

Juan
02-21-2009, 04:20 PM
No. He's a human charisma vacuum and I can't seem to give a damn.

Comparing Shelton Benjamin to Bob Holly would be like comparing ice cream to horse manure.

Juan
02-21-2009, 04:20 PM
http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee97/Gsquared_2007/SHW/Bobby_Heenan.jpg

Anybody Thrilla
02-21-2009, 04:21 PM
Comparing Shelton Benjamin to Bob Holly would be like comparing ice cream to horse manure.

But are you looking for fertilization or a yummy treat?

Afterlife
02-21-2009, 05:10 PM
Shelton will end up with Haas after the draft, either in a feud or tag team or both. I say that because they've tried so many different angles with Shelton, face/heel/having a mother at ringside, and nothing is really working working. He's good, but he's too inconsistent and they've used him too inconsistently to push him towards the main event right now (unless it's a run at the ECW title, of course). His abilities are great, but he still lacks that IT factor that someone like MVP, who, even by going on a losing streak, remains HUGELY over with the fans has.

That said, I would rather see both of these men competing for the US title at Mania than in the MitB match, but I will take MVP or, going out on a limb, BIG SHOW to win the ladder match.

I'll go ahead and stick to my guns.

Juan
02-21-2009, 05:22 PM
He;s actually been booked rather consistently since the move to ECW. He's been on a roll and has had some great matches since then. He's been US champ, for what, 8 months now?

Bob Holly's biggest claim to fame was being tag team partners with the 1-2-3 Kid and Cody Rhodes, so aside from being in a tag team, I don't see the similarity. Sure Shelton doesn't OOZE charisma, but he has more wrestling ability in his right pinky than Bob Holly could ever hope to have. Plus, I don't know about you, but I'll take wrestling ability over a catchy catchphrase any day of the week.

thedamndest
02-21-2009, 05:58 PM
Bob Holly was entertaining when he thought he was a super heavyweight and billed himself at 400 lbs, which of course led to Crash and the scale. Funny promos and then Holly got his ass kicked by Viscera. Good stuff.

The Optimist
02-21-2009, 07:07 PM
Really, I have to say Shelton can't talk at all but he's got in-ring charisma like a motherfucker. In that way he's like Booker T, he tells the story in ring well.

Mr. Nerfect
02-21-2009, 08:09 PM
Shelton Benjamin is going to get a push soon. The Undertaker liked him enough to give him more than one really impressive showing against him. All Shelton needs to do is lose the US Title. The man may not be uber-confident on the mic, but he oozes charisma. That match with Triple H when Shelton first came to RAW, yes, happened in 2003 or something, but made me mark out for Shelton for the simplest things.

Either a face turn or Money in the Bank would do Shelton well, I think.

Also, while everything I have heard has led me to believe Hardcore Holly would be an awful person to know, the man was never horrible in the ring, and to say he wasn't popular is a joke. The man was way more over than he deserved to be. The guy often got massive pops.

Krimzon7
02-21-2009, 10:24 PM
Give Shelton a mouth piece, and he's good to go. They got that black kid who is great on the mic, he calls himself some kind of silver tounged pugil....oh

fuck, WWE...:nono:

Afterlife
02-21-2009, 11:26 PM
Shelton Benjamin is going to get a push soon. The Undertaker liked him enough to give him more than one really impressive showing against him. All Shelton needs to do is lose the US Title. The man may not be uber-confident on the mic, but he oozes charisma. That match with Triple H when Shelton first came to RAW, yes, happened in 2003 or something, but made me mark out for Shelton for the simplest things.

Either a face turn or Money in the Bank would do Shelton well, I think.

Also, while everything I have heard has led me to believe Hardcore Holly would be an awful person to know, the man was never horrible in the ring, and to say he wasn't popular is a joke. The man was way more over than he deserved to be. The guy often got massive pops.

You are completely nuts. And this is coming from the guy Hasney has begged as the site's craziest poster. Shelton has basically zero personality. He has a nickname, and his mic work is supposed to make him sound arrogant, but he's about as edgy as a circle. His ring work is fine, when he's not being sloppy and missing shit, but he, as an idividual, is bland as shit. I simply cannot care about him. When they pretended they were going to use him in his first move to Raw, I was impressed and intrigued. Today? He's Hardcore Holly.

Oh, and Juan, the comparrison wasn't about careers. It's about the ability to make me care.

thedamndest
02-22-2009, 02:32 AM
So about my Big Show prediction, I should explain that. After Mania he goes through the next couple of shows, maybe even PPVs taking challenges from other guys who were in the MitB match competing for the briefcase, but Show is unstoppable. He would probably even win some kind of Triple Threat match against Miz and Morrison for it where they maybe do their "fuck each other over" game for the case, so they don't really look bad coming out of it. So Show looks pretty strong at this point. Then your new US Champion, MVP, who was NOT in the MitB match because he was too busy winning the US belt, tells Show he will put up the US title for a shot at the case.

Oh yeah, and MVP ends the Kozlov streak too.

Mr. Nerfect
02-22-2009, 02:54 AM
You are completely nuts. And this is coming from the guy Hasney has begged as the site's craziest poster. Shelton has basically zero personality. He has a nickname, and his mic work is supposed to make him sound arrogant, but he's about as edgy as a circle. His ring work is fine, when he's not being sloppy and missing shit, but he, as an idividual, is bland as shit. I simply cannot care about him. When they pretended they were going to use him in his first move to Raw, I was impressed and intrigued. Today? He's Hardcore Holly.

Oh, and Juan, the comparrison wasn't about careers. It's about the ability to make me care.

I disagre. Shelton has always entertained me, to some degree. "APA is Crap," and his sketch with Vince McMahon and Trish Stratus for starters. The man has a lot of charisma, he just has a problem truly letting it shine through.

But yes, that is a pretty big problem.

Jeritron
02-22-2009, 03:11 AM
Having trouble letting charisma shine through is a pretty big oxymoron

Krimzon7
02-22-2009, 03:17 AM
is it? when he's scripted, it can be tough to jump off of pages you odn't believe in. I'd be worried what Shelton's free reign would take his character. He's from South Carolina man, we Carolinians are fucking nuts! He may come to the ring in overalls with pigs and shit. Shelton needs to get a gimmick he connects with.

Jeritron
02-22-2009, 03:22 AM
Are you suggesting a Goodwins gimmick? If so, I think you're onto something.

Krimzon7
02-22-2009, 03:26 AM
i'm just saying. he need to do something he knows. Trust me, if you're from Orangeburg, you know cows and pigs and farming.

Mr. Nerfect
02-22-2009, 05:52 AM
Having trouble letting charisma shine through is a pretty big oxymoron

Not really. The Rock is arguably the most charismatic wrestler of all-time, but early on in his career, he was a bland-looking guy who couldn't connect with fans properly.

Shelton Benjamin has got so much ring presence, and such a fun personality, that it's hard to imagine him not being charismatic. It just doesn't shine through in his promos. Mic skills =/= charisma.

Mr. Nerfect
02-22-2009, 05:53 AM
Apparently Shelton grew up pretty tough. A promo about him being a self-made man could be something he can really connect with, and apply himself emotionally through.

Jeritron
02-22-2009, 05:57 AM
Rock didn't have trouble getting his charisma across though. He had plenty of it and everyone knew it. It shined through. The problem was that he was letting it shine through too much. He had to change it into other things. So showing charisma and connecting with the crowd are two different things.

Mr. Nerfect
02-22-2009, 06:05 AM
Shelton Benjamin has got something that a lot of people don't -- I will just end it there.