PDA

View Full Version : Edge or Cena

Legend Killer
02-19-2009, 12:36 PM
Now what I am wondering is, who is the better of the two. Don't just base it on the fact that Cena is just Cena, put in other factors.

Mic Skills

Heel and Face Ability

Way They Work

Accomplishments

Who deserves to win at Mania if they end up Wrestling one another for the Millionth Time?

Anybody Thrilla
02-19-2009, 12:41 PM
Mic skills - Cena as a face, Edge as a heel. Draw for current situation.

Heel and face ability - I loved Cena as a heel and I think he's a great face. I love Edge as a heel, but I didn't like him so much as a face. Cena wins here.

Way they work - I don't really know what the fuck you mean, but I usually prefer Edge in the ring. Edge wins here.

Accomplishments - Edge has won more championships than anybody in history, but Cena was the champ for one of the longest reigns ever. Edge has also won King of the Ring, but Cena has won the Royal Rumble. I'm going to say this is a wash as well.

Conclusion: They're both pretty awesome, and they work well together, so I don't care who wins at Wrestlemania. However, it would help Edge a hell of a lot more than it would Cena.

Nicky Fives
02-19-2009, 01:01 PM
Edge... not even fair comparison
way they work - Edge by far
charisma - Edge as a heel is better than Cena as a face
accomplishments - don't really mean that much nowadays as a title changes hands every month...

Anybody Thrilla
02-19-2009, 01:02 PM
This is a totally fair comparison.

Triple Naitch
02-19-2009, 01:13 PM
Mic Skills: Cena seems to go for cheap pops and jokes far too much on the mic. Edge's promos are all equally diverse and entertaining. Edge.

Heel and Face Ability: Cena is a great face, Edge is a great heel. Cena could be a really good heel down the road. Edge is just ok as a face. Cena.

Way They Work: Edge can put on great matches in any sort of match type with any wrestler. Edge can also vary his moveset based on the type of match. Cena is more one-dimensional when it comes to different match types. Edge can carry the load more than Cena can. Edge.

Accomplishments: Edge wins in quantity, Cena wins in quality. Both will be Hall of Famers, but Cena will probably have a bigger legacy (Legacy). Cena.

Who deserves to win at Mania if they end up Wrestling one another for the Millionth Time?: Cena will probably win, but if Edge wins it adds more fuel to the fire. If they want to extend the rivalry, Edge should win. Edge.

I'm going with Edge. Barely.

Anybody Thrilla
02-19-2009, 01:24 PM
Edge as a face was cheap pops and jokes too. I think you guys are seriously forgetting what Cena as a heel is capable of on the mic.

Fabien Barthez
02-19-2009, 01:39 PM
Cena was just The Genius in a baseball cap for the longest time. Now, it is all just a bit Hoganish. Me and my fans and all that crap. I think he is a good face, if the audience was capped at 14 years old. Edge is better in every department as far as i'm concerned. Especially on the stick.

Anybody Thrilla
02-19-2009, 01:45 PM
No way. Edge is crap as a face. Cena can work both sides of things.

Anybody Thrilla
02-19-2009, 01:45 PM
I don't think you guys have a problem with Cena's abilities as a face. I think you just don't like faces in general. It's way easier to be awesome as a heel.

Kane86
02-19-2009, 01:50 PM
Look Edge can work with the best of them. I was on the edge of my seat last year at WM24. His heel abilities are just spectacular and well i have wanted to punch Edge in the face numerous times because simply he is just doing his job. The i realize i am just marking out. Oh and the fact he has won numerous titles blah blah blah. Did anyone see Edge vs Foley at Wrestlemania? GENIUS!

Ruien
02-19-2009, 01:52 PM
Cena. Anybody Thrilla already made my points.

Fabien Barthez
02-19-2009, 01:54 PM
That's not true for me at all.

Austin, Rock, Very early Cena, Angle, Foley, HHH, HBK, RVD, Eddie Gurrereo were all great faces. Some still are. I just think Cena's Eminem character played out really fast, and now he is relatively undefined as a character. And the storylines he has been in have reflected that. The biggest programmes are going to the guys with the most refined chracters. On that basis, Cena is not that great of a face.

Legend Killer
02-19-2009, 02:09 PM
That's not true for me at all.

Austin, Rock, Very early Cena, Angle, Foley, HHH, HBK, RVD, Eddie Gurrereo were all great faces. Some still are. I just think Cena's Eminem character played out really fast, and now he is relatively undefined as a character. And the storylines he has been in have reflected that. The biggest programmes are going to the guys with the most refined chracters. On that basis, Cena is not that great of a face.

Yeah it's like Cena took Austin, Hogan, The Rock, and Triple H and put them into one big orgy as a character. His thug gimmick was totally defined, he was his own. However, nowadays wrestlers don't need a gimmick. Cena I guess has a gimmick..."Look at me I am Billy Bad Ass!!!"

Not Billy Gunn.

Krimzon7
02-19-2009, 04:13 PM
Mic Skills: Edge has been consistantly great on the Mic. Cena is meh at best

Heel and Face Ability Edge was good as a face, and is Phenominal as a heel. Cena is fun as a heel, and bland as a face.

Way They Work: I think Cena is actually decent in the ring, he busts his ass, and very rarely mails it in. Edge is just better. maybe because he has more experience.
Accomplishments: No brainer. Edge owns all!

Krimzon7
02-19-2009, 04:15 PM
Edge as a face was cheap pops and jokes too. I think you guys are seriously forgetting what Cena as a heel is capable of on the mic.

No, I haven't forgotten. I actually long for the day of the RUCK FUlLES shirt and the smart ass comments. As a heel, Cena probably could out Orton Orton. And Orton is the shit right now.

IC Champion
02-19-2009, 04:25 PM
Anyone who thinks Cena is a good face is easily a moron.

IC Champion
02-19-2009, 04:26 PM

Except Edge was actually funny, and entertaining.

Juan
02-19-2009, 04:27 PM
Edge

Legend Killer
02-19-2009, 04:27 PM
Anyone who thinks Cena is a good face is easily a moron.

Does he at least try his best to be a great face or do you think he has room for improvement?

IC Champion
02-19-2009, 04:28 PM
Does he at least try his best to be a great face or do you think he has room for improvement?

I don't know, but I know that a top face shouldn't be receiving mixed reactions that vary city to city.

Vastardikai
02-19-2009, 04:51 PM
At the time of the first feud, Cena was getting mixed reactions at best, and was downright hated by the crowd at worst. That could be for a number of reasons, shit booking, legit admiration of Kurt Angle, etc. etc. However, at his blandest, he was consistently cheered when he faced Edge, because Edge was a strong heel.

Then, the promo that more or less started Rated RKO. Fans were expecting Orton to attack him then and there, with their open hostility. Orton was the face by default, because of the strength of Edge the heel. At the other end of the spectrum. Edge was a decent face. Cena was a decent Heel.

A face is only as good as the heel he's up against. Edge could go down as perhaps one of the top 10 Heels ever.

As for Mic skills. Edge SAVED a drowning Gangrel during the first major promo for the Brood with Michael Hayes, when they were faces. Edge saved the Love Triangle program with a great promo after Matt's return promo fell flat. He's been the man ever since. Cena is good as a heel, painful as a face. Edge here.

As for Workrate. Triple Naitch hit the nail on the head here. Edge by a mile. His matches with Foley and 'Taker at Mania were amazing.

Accomplishments: Kind of even here. Edge has the numbers, Cena has the length.

Conclusion: Edge.

Mr. Nerfect
02-19-2009, 05:44 PM
Mic Skills
Both these guys are both very confident and competent on the mic. Cena's earlier stuff was really quite great, but he has gone off and become boring. His promos almost literally consist exclusively of some kind of action hero cliche, or a bad joke.

Edge's promos are often missing something, but he hits the mark far more often than not, and he can hold interest and build with his promos. Cena passes the time at best. If you go back over Edge's career, too, his stuff with Christian easily out-awesomes anything great John Cena did.

Winner: Edge

Ability to Play Face/Heel
Let's see: John Cena cannot get a crowd to cheer him when he is meant to. Edge could, with a brief rusty period where he faltered in 2005. When Edge is playing a heel, he is booed out of arenas; when Cena is playing a heel, he is cheered. Yeah, Cena was awesome as a heel, but he didn't really do his job.

Ring Work
John Cena is actually a good wrestler. Anyone who denies that is just being ignorant. That being said, Edge is just so much better. If not only in pure talent, but in the way he gets to work. Cena very rarely is allowed to have a classic match. I'm just trying to think of some classics he's had, and the best I can come up with is his marathon with Shawn Michaels.

Accomplishments
Edge has won every single championship in the WWE save one. Yeah, he wins this one.

A clean sweep for Edge, in my opinion. So, my vote would go to him deserving to retain the World Heavyweight Championship at WrestleMania. Maybe a double-turn would do both men some good, though.

RatedGSuperstar
02-19-2009, 11:57 PM
Mic Skills - Edge is incredible on the mic as a crazy heel, but even when he was "Surfer Dude" Edge earlier this decade, he was pretty good. Most of the jokes probably wouldn't work these days, but they were fine for that time. Cena's fine when he's not trying too hard. As a face, he tries waaaaay too hard to deliver memorable promos like he's the next Rock. He doesn't have the look or the charisma to pull it off like Rocky did. Edge here.

Heel and Face Ability - It's been touched upon, but Cena can't seem to get the appropriate responses he needs, no matter what his alignment. Edge is probably permanently a heel at this point (at least I hope he's as close to being one as you can get these days), but even when he was a face he was good at it. My favorite Edge-as-a-face feud was the Kurt Angle feud from 2002ish where he started the "You Suck" chants for Angle's theme.

As a heel, Edge has the ability to make anyone he associates with a mega-heel. He's turned Vickie Guerrero into a heat machine. Hell, he even managed to get us to almost care about Bam Neely and Hawkins/Ryder. I really haven't seen that out of Cena in this recent face run, unless you count the times he's been paired up with other guys who are already over as faces with the average 14 year old (Mysterio, Cryme Tyme, etc.).

Way They Work - Cena's never been bad in the ring, but he's really fallen into the WWE trap of only really showing us his trademark moves before getting the pin. I wish that he'd take a few more chances and try to sprinkle in some variety instead of just doing the usual routine of shoulder block-bulldog-five knuckle shuffle-FU-pin. I'm seldom entertained by a Cena match, while Edge usually delivers the goods.

Accomplishments - Cena's had more meaningful title reigns in general and has won a Royal Rumble, but Edge has won KOTR and has over 20 total WWE belts to his name. I'll call it a draw.

Mania - I think Edge finds a way to beat Cena, and in the week following Mania, brags about being done with him and never having to face him again...only to have Cena drafted over to SmackDown the next week. Cue the incredible Edge facial expressions upon seeing the pick.

Fox
02-20-2009, 12:14 AM
Cena is worth far more to the company than Edge.

On levels of actual talent, Edge wins out by a mile.

Innovator
02-20-2009, 08:34 AM
I'll put it another way besides the categories

When Cena was hurt, RAW carried on just fine. When Edge was out, Smackdown sucked.

Legend Killer
02-20-2009, 09:17 AM

When Cena was hurt, RAW carried on just fine. When Edge was out, Smackdown sucked.

I think you just persuaded my vote, but if there was "NO JOHN CENA" would the WWE still be making the money as it is today?

Innovator
02-20-2009, 09:25 AM
Tough to say really. Cena does draw the youngings in and creates a lot of merchandise money. Tough to say that someone else could have jumped in his role with his push and gotten the same response.

If Cena wasn't there, someone probably would have filled the void. I don't think he's at the level where there is a huge hole without him. The times when he got injured is a great example to look at.

Rammsteinmad
02-20-2009, 11:02 AM
Edge.

Anybody Thrilla
02-20-2009, 12:37 PM

Look at the talent pools on both shows. Edge is a big fish in a small pond.

Anybody Thrilla
02-20-2009, 12:38 PM
Also, I'm still thinking that Cena's mixed reaction stems from what seemed like the longest title reign in the history of man. People just got sick of him as champ, and I'd say that he's getting much more cheers now playing not that different of a character. For some reason, it became 'cool' to hate Cena, and people won't get over that.

Ironballs
02-20-2009, 04:21 PM
Edge

Heyman
02-20-2009, 05:40 PM
-Edge is a better wrestler.

-I personally find them both to be great sports-entertainers.

-Cena is a far bigger star

-Cena sells far more merchandise.

-Edge cannot really get any 'bigger' than he already is (barring some kind of character re-invention...like Jericho did for instance).

-Cena still has an untapped heel turn in him. When he inevitably turns heel at some point in his career, his character will be completely revitalized...and he'll go to new heights.

-Edge, for the most part, has plateau'd. Cena is still a work-in-progress....due to the fact that he hasn't had a main-event run as a heel.

Juan
02-20-2009, 05:41 PM
I agree except for the part about Edge plateauing. He's been a face before, but never in the main event scene, so that's something we can look forward to one day.

Heyman
02-20-2009, 05:54 PM
I agree except for the part about Edge plateauing. He's been a face before, but never in the main event scene, so that's something we can look forward to one day.

True, but it's going to be VERY tough for Edge to get over as a (loved/revered) main-event face IMO. We saw how he panned out back in 2004. We've also seen the past flops of Triple H, Brock Lesnar, Randy Orton, and many before them.

Perhaps I'm wrong here but I really can't see Edge being 'loved' as a face. I don't doubt the fact that the WWE might try and push him as such at some point. What I DO doubt however, is if Edge's face character can be anywhere near as over as his heel character was.

Mr. Nerfect
02-20-2009, 11:20 PM
True, but it's going to be VERY tough for Edge to get over as a (loved/revered) main-event face IMO. We saw how he panned out back in 2004. We've also seen the past flops of Triple H, Brock Lesnar, Randy Orton, and many before them.

Perhaps I'm wrong here but I really can't see Edge being 'loved' as a face. I don't doubt the fact that the WWE might try and push him as such at some point. What I DO doubt however, is if Edge's face character can be anywhere near as over as his heel character was.

I disagree. I was so hyped for a potential Edge face turn last year. Imagine if he had returned from "hell" with a new respect for The Undertaker. Imagine if Big Show, Chavo Guerrero, Zack Ryder & Curt Hawkins were beating down Taker one night, and then suddenly, a cloaked figure appeared and started hitting everything that moved. He took everyone out with a steel chair, and then hits a Spear on Chavo Guerrero. The figure removes his cloak, and it's Edge. Cue Edge cockily walking up the ramp, as The Undertaker looks up at the stage to Edge, confused.

The next week, Vickie Guerrero could ask her "husband" what it is he thinks he's doing. Cue a Spear to Vickie Guerrero, which given Vickie's heat, would be an epic pop. Edge gets a divorce, and then brings back his brother, Christian, and you'd have had an Edge that people could have loved.

A face Edge is something that could potentially be as epic as a heel John Cena. OK, that's an exaggeration, but the face potential for Edge is there.

Heyman
02-20-2009, 11:41 PM
[quote=Noid;2442934 but the face potential for Edge is there.[/quote]

Not a bad scenario Noid but here's my thing:

ANYONE can be a decent face for at least a little while.

As we've seen on numerous occasions with many different wrestlers however, there is a difference between being a great face and being a face that starts to get lukewarm/average reactions about 2-3 months later.

Think over the last 7 years or so:

2002:
-Triple H
-Brock Lesnar

2003:
-Kevin Nash
-Scott Steiner
-Goldberg
-Kurt Angle

2004:
-Randy Orton
-Edge (ironically enough!)

2007-08:
-Chris Jericho

I've probably missed a few examples but my points remains.

I have no doubt that Edge would be able to garner some respectable face pops after turning. However - I highly suspect that Edge would fall into that category of 'lukewarm' face pops 2-3 months after turning.....and as result, the WWE would turn him back into the current character that we see him as.

Maybe I'm wrong though - I also seem to recall Edge getting some nice face pops in 2002 after he parted ways with Christian (and had his 'Rob Zombie' theme).

Just as HHH had Shawn Michaels to help him transition to a face with DX in 2006, maybe a guy like Christian could help Edge make a transition?

Mr. Nerfect
02-20-2009, 11:49 PM
Edge was one of the most over guys in the company in 2002. He was the man who started the "You suck!" chants for Kurt Angle, which is honestly one of his biggest achievements outside of winning a title, if you ask me.

When he returned, a big problem with him, was that he was a different build, was more than a little rusty, and the character he was playing pretty much traded in his personality for a bad-ass attitude that no one could really connect with.

Mr. Nerfect
02-21-2009, 01:13 AM
If Edge had returned and cut a funny promo with Eric Bischoff, possibly making jokes about he is scared because now that he's on RAW, and he doesn't have a contract that stipulates he has creative control, he is fearful for his career; he would have been much better off, I think.

I remember how much potential Randy Orton had at that time. He was getting cheered in his last IC Title defense against Edge, and he tells the crowd "I don't need your help!" and it instantly turned to boos. Good times. It's a shame it took Orton like five years to really jump on that potential.

CSL
02-21-2009, 01:22 AM
Edge. He's the best complete package in the world today. Orton is gaining on him though.

Mr. Nerfect
02-21-2009, 01:27 AM
Orton is more than a sum of his parts, though. In the ring, he is too unreliable. He can be very good, or very, very average. On the mic, he has been better, but he is not exactly a whiz. Orton's in the right place at the right time at present, and everything is clicking better than it should.

I'm fearful it won't last, though, and that we'll get a boring Orton by the end of the year, even.

Jeritron
02-21-2009, 01:29 AM
Cena doesn't get enough credit. Sure, the booking makes him boring or easy to resent, but that doesn't reflect on his tools. He does damn fine in spite of this, and he is extraordinarily talented. I think people don't like the kind of work he does, and don't give him a fair shake when it comes to the work he can do.
I have no doubt he could perform in a heel role on the level of Orton and Edge, and when not limited, can work a damn fine match/promo.

Jeritron
02-21-2009, 01:30 AM
But I do have to answer Edge. Just giving some credit where it is due

Lux
02-21-2009, 01:38 AM
Edge