PDA

View Full Version : uTorrent (Increasing DL Speed)

El Fangel
02-26-2009, 02:01 AM
I remember someone here knew how to do it.

Vietnamese Crippler
02-26-2009, 02:40 AM
Probably the best thing anyone's ever posted regarding torrents:

Ok first let me just give a general explanation. with torrents you're basically connecting to other people that are downloading the same torrent. You are connecting to "seeds" and "peers." You will be a peer at first, someone who is downloading the file, but at the same time, uploading what you've got to other peers. Seeds are people who are done the download, but still helping other people by uploading the file to them.

Now, here is how I download torrents

1. Download Azureus (http://azureus.sourceforge.net/)
2. Skip the set up wizard
3. Open port 6881 on your router if you have one
4. Go to tools - options, then transfer

I would set:
Kb/s global max download speed: 0
Default max upload slots per torrent: 2
Maximum number of connections per torrent: 0
Maximum number of connections globally: 200 - 400, you can play with this once you see how the number effects your surfing

Something a lot of people don't know is, the more your upload speed is, the faster you will download. A lot of people like setting upload speed to the minimum of 5. What I would suggest is do a speed test on http://broadbandreports.com/stest take the number you get for upload, divide it by 8, then multiply it by 0.75 and use that as kb/s max upload speed.

5. Click Save
6. Download a torrent off a website, and just open it and choose a save directory, and voila. The face on the left side of the torrent should be red initially, then turn to yellow, and green. If it stays yellow, that means port 6881 on your router isn't open, and if it goes blue, that means the tracker of the torrent is currently down. Not much you can do if it goes blue.
7. You can right click the download bar and go to "show details" and then click files, and set the priority of the files you want to "high" "normal" or "do not download" if you don't want to download certian files in the torrent

Once you're used to torrents, you should know how to play with those settings and the rest of the settings in options as well. these are just my suggestions.

Oh and once you finish the download, you can either stop it and remove it or seed it. A lot of people think that you should seed all your torrents to a share ratio of 1 (So you've downloaded as much as you've uploaded), and some sites enforce this as well. Whether you seed after you're done downloading on most sites is your choice though.

Hope you got all that :o

Just ignore the part about Azureus.

CSL
03-05-2009, 07:40 PM
What do the blue faces/sign things mean? 'Cause on uTorrent, the little arrow on the left of a torrent I'm downloading/downloaded was blue but it still downloaded at a decent speed

Vietnamese Crippler
03-05-2009, 07:42 PM
That just show the status of the torrent? Blue, down arrow means downloading and up, green arrow means uploading.

Unless you mean something else.