PDA

View Full Version : Discuss the Big Show

thedamndest
02-28-2009, 05:59 PM
I'm personally very high on Show right now. I think he's been very consistent since coming back. They've given him some good people to work with instead of having him float around and switch back and forth to heel/face every week, and he actually looks like a threat, which is how a man of his size should always look (Kane). In fact, I would go so far as to say that I wouldn't mind a Show title reign on SD or Raw at some point, even if it is just as a transition champ. I think he would probably be one of the best choice for transition champ actually, especially at this stage.

What interests me about him now is his new finisher, the Knock Out. Other guys have tried this, or a variation of this with mild if any degrees of success. In Nash's beginnings with the WWF he had a punch as a finisher, changed in favor of a powerbomb. Crush used a heart punch with the DOA. Neither really seemed to get over so much, but Show's KO is doing all kinds of damage. I want to attribute that to the fact that he came back having trained in boxing and then jumped into the main event, so the move already started being sold on the likes of HHH, Taker, and now even Cena.

He's capable of being a funny guy, a big bastard, a tweener, everything, but he rarely gets his props. The only real issue I see with him is his weight. He seems to be packing on the pounds again. Where do you see him going? What do you think of his finisher? Championship in the future? Discuss anything else Big Show related here.

What Would Kevin Do?
02-28-2009, 06:31 PM
He needs a good, neutral run with a world title. Not heel, not face, just an ass kicker. Honestly, when Big Show is on his game, which he is now, he is a great performer. As long as he doesn't get lazy, he should definitely be a main eventer. The problem is, they need to build him back up, as he's pretty much lost to every single guy on the roster. Big Show doesn't really win feuds, ever.

Mr. Nerfect
02-28-2009, 07:29 PM
Big Show is someone that is quite easy to like. Especially at this stage of his career, where his work is better, and the effort he puts into himself shines through. For marks, especially, it is easy to get behind Big Show. Whenever wrestling is on at my place, and my dad comes over and sees a Big Show segment, he goes: "Big Show would kill him, right?" These are segments where he is mixing it up with Triple H, even.

One thing about Show right now, is that he is directionless. The WWE knows they want him in the main event, but they also have no clue where exactly to put him. He's just tagging along with Edge and teasing friction with him. Big Show needs to set himself a goal, and go about achieving it. For example: I think it would be perfectly sane for Big Show to set his sights on the World Heavyweight Championship, just so he can claim (officially) to be the first man to have won the WWE Championship, ECW Championship and World Heavyweight Championship (Kane having done it unofficially). Show could definitely claim to be the first man to have won the WWE, WCW, ECW and World Heavyweight Titles, which would be the WWE-sanctioned World Title Grand Slam. Something like that is an instant credibility boost, and something to keep Show always a credible threat. Well, always an immediate credible threat.

I personally don't like Show nearly as much as a heel. Yes, he is a physically imposing guy that could be a convincing bully, but it just downplays the man's natural charisma, I believe. Show as the likeable, gentle (except when he's killing people in the ring) giant has much more appeal to me. As a face, when he gets a hot tag in a massive ten-man tag, or something, I mark the fuck out. If he started going around KOing bitches effortlessly in the name of what is good and right -- Show could do very well for himself.

That being said, he shouldn't be subjected to the same routines as other faces. He shouldn't be grounded and pounded for heat segments during his matches. He should take calm control and dominate his opponents, until they cheat and almost steal the win from him, only for him to be like "Nah, bitch, it doesn't work that way" and knock them the fuck out.

Big Show could instantly get himself back on track by delivering the Knockout Punch to Edge, or Chokeslamming Vickie Guerrero.

GD
02-28-2009, 10:03 PM
Big Show pwned Cena

Gerard
02-28-2009, 10:29 PM
Big Show doesn't really win feuds, ever.

Yup, thats one thing ive always noticed, he gets into a fued with someone (normally much smaller) and somehow manages to lose all the time.

Im not really sure if he's regaining weight as said above, but i have noticed lately he seems to be hangng on the ropes quite a bit. Reminds me of andre in the later stages of his career, when he was near the ropes one hand was always on them. Obviously show is nowhere near the stage where he can't go anymore but his stamina seems to be somewhat lacking.

His weights supposodly around 440lbs, if he got down to maybe 350-375 (easier said than done i know) i could see him going much longer in matches without blowing up.

Its weird that he's been in wwe almost 10 years and is still pretty much underused in a lot of ways, he's been champion a few times but he's never really had a long time of being on a tear and totally dominating people, that kind of thing seems to come in spasams of a few matches at most. Considering his size and strength you'd think that kind of thing would be a no brainer, then again this is wwe we're talking about here.

Krimzon7
02-28-2009, 10:44 PM
I dunno, Big Show is okay just in the role he's in. He's adding a nice twist to the Edge Cena feud.

GD
02-28-2009, 11:19 PM
Big Show is way better than the Big Slow I remember. Yeah but he does seem weak and the wwe are doing a good job resting him when needed. As far as his feud with Taker is concerned, it was just above average and their match at Surivor Series was a major flop. I wouldn't mind Edge vs. Show at Mania. Have him to do the "Happy Giant" gimmick again and pay him some fucking due.

Mr. C
02-28-2009, 11:25 PM
I wouldn’t mind Edge vs. John Cena vs. The Big Show at WrestleMania.

Afterlife
03-01-2009, 01:40 AM
Discuss anything else Big Show related here.

Make me.

Jeritron
03-01-2009, 05:01 AM
I'd like to see Edge and Show fued. It's be nice to see a dominant face Big Show that the crowd could really get behind (against Edge and Vickie).
It'd also be interesting to see how many times/ways Edge could scheme his way out of losing the title before he did.

Rammsteinmad
03-01-2009, 06:08 AM
Considering his size, Big Show is awesome.

dablackguy
03-01-2009, 10:46 AM
Big Show could hve been awesome years ago if they had booked him as a monster instead of a chump

This is to say that he has personality and is solid on the mic

Triple Naitch
03-01-2009, 08:56 PM
Big Show may be the best big man on the mic. Ever.

Fox
03-01-2009, 10:18 PM
Original plans for WrestleMania XVI (2000) included Big Show vs. Stone Cold for the WWF Title. Austin got hurt so they were scrapped.

Jeritron
03-01-2009, 10:22 PM
That acutally would have been cool, since they would have built it in a Hogan vs Andre of the new millenium way

Vastardikai
03-01-2009, 11:08 PM
Well... it's the Big Show.

It's the Big Bad Show Tonight, Ya'll.

Yeah... it's the Big Show.

Triple Naitch
03-01-2009, 11:09 PM
I'm surprised his Big Bad Bastard t-shirts didn't take off.

The Optimist
03-02-2009, 01:02 AM
Love the Big Show, have since he won the ECW Title.

Jeritron
03-02-2009, 01:18 AM
The ECW title run may have actually been their best usage of him to date. This year has been very good as well.

He was well used starting with the 2000 royal rumble, through Mania. Unfortunately for him though, it was bad timing and the crowd wasn't as interested as they normally may have been (with all the Foley and Rock popularity at it's peak)

thedamndest
03-02-2009, 01:20 AM
His theme is pretty great since it got changed, whenever that was.

DAMN iNATOR
03-02-2009, 04:00 PM
His theme was changed sometime before he took time off in Dec. '06 to the current one by Brand New Sin. And also, no offense, but I don't really dig the whole Knock-Out Punch finisher of his, mainly because it was derived from a gay-ass WM 24 match where Mayweather knocked him out with a punch that was delivered with brass knucks, and everytime I visualize that in my head it's like Big Show trying to do the Power of The Punch (Regal's old brass-knuck punch trick/finisher), which, btw, I think Regal should go back to using. Also, I believe Jindrak had a "slap-of-death" style finisher, sort of like a diva slap in the video games, except his supposedly could knock his opponent out which no-one bought from a logical standpoint. So it's partially Jindrak's fault, IMHO for giving moves such as these, a tarnished rep. But other than that, I agree that Big Show is much improved after slimming down and conditioning more.

Upon more research it appears that Jindrak used not a slap, but rather a "left-handed knockout punch", which I don't personally recall it being, but w/e.

Jeritron
03-02-2009, 04:15 PM
lol "no offense"

thedamndest
03-02-2009, 04:28 PM
I don't see what's not to like about the Knock Out. It's more believable than the Chokeslam (especially coming from a man his size) and it can come from anywhere. It's not flashy, but it's given him another dimension. Besides, every big man uses the chokeslam.

DAMN iNATOR
03-02-2009, 05:03 PM
I don't see what's not to like about the Knock Out. It's more believable than the Chokeslam (especially coming from a man his size) and it can come from anywhere. It's not flashy, but it's given him another dimension. Besides, every big man uses the chokeslam.

I agree about the chokeslam part, but a big punch just seems sorta...I dunno,...anti-climactic especially if it ends the match. I wish they'd let him go back to the ragdoll toss sleeper he used when he had his run in 2006 on ECW. Now THAT move was bad-ass.

thedamndest
03-02-2009, 05:25 PM
HBK has been bringing crowds to their feet with a kick for over a decade. I think the Knock Out should be cut a little slack.

Fox
03-02-2009, 06:01 PM
Can't really compare HBK to Big Show to be honest.

I prefer the Chokeslam, though I understand that lots of people use it and he needed something else. I think he should take up the Last Ride Powerbomb and call it 7 Feet to Hell.

BigDaddyCool
03-02-2009, 06:10 PM
Bigshow's chokeslam is better than most. He falls with it, thus making it look like he is putting all his weight on his opponet, thus greater than like Undertaker's lift and release chokeslam.

The Fonz
03-02-2009, 07:25 PM
I like the Big Show, always has. Needs to be in a main event feud that doesn't involve him being a sidekick/bodyguard to anybody.

thedamndest
03-02-2009, 11:17 PM
I am glad the WWE is reading my threads.

Mr. Nerfect
03-03-2009, 02:05 AM
The Triple Threat they seem to have in mind, of Edge vs. Big Show vs. John Cena would be very well and good, besides the point that they do World Title Triple Threats way too often. It should just be Edge vs. Big Show, with John Cena facing anyone else.

Jeritron
03-03-2009, 02:38 AM
I think there's a strong possibility of JBL getting involved soon, to make it a Fatal Four Way.

Mr. Nerfect
03-03-2009, 03:42 AM
I think there's a strong possibility of JBL getting involved soon, to make it a Fatal Four Way.

That would at least even things out for a change.

Jeritron
03-03-2009, 03:51 AM
To be honest, I'd like it. As much as I'm uninterested by JBL in the ring, I love him on the stick. He could really add to the build, and then be first eliminated.
Plus, they've had a triple threat title match at Mania almost every year recently. It'd be nice to see them switch it up.

Impeccable
03-03-2009, 04:05 AM
Love the Big Show. For a "Big Guy" he can definately go!

Not sure if I imagined it...but I seem to remember him either connecting with or attempting a dropkick!

Jeritron
03-03-2009, 04:10 AM
Yea, he hit a missle dropkick in a match I was in attendance for actually. It was while he was WWF champ

Triple Naitch
03-03-2009, 08:37 AM
I know I've seen tape of him doing a moonsault too.

Impeccable
03-03-2009, 10:24 AM
I know I've seen tape of him doing a moonsault too.

Seriously?

You're not fucking with me are ya?

BigDaddyCool
03-03-2009, 10:25 AM
The Triple Threat they seem to have in mind, of Edge vs. Big Show vs. John Cena would be very well and good, besides the point that they do World Title Triple Threats way too often. It should just be Edge vs. Big Show, with John Cena facing anyone else.

Coming from the guy that wanted to make it a 4 way match between Orton, Cena, HHH, and Edge.

Xero
03-03-2009, 10:26 AM
Seriously?

You're not fucking with me are ya?

Yeah, he did one in WCW.

Mr. Nerfect
03-03-2009, 04:46 PM
Coming from the guy that wanted to make it a 4 way match between Orton, Cena, HHH, and Edge.

No, coming from the guy who suggested it as a possibility, and asked people if they would like to see it and if they think it has a shot of happening. Do you really not understand the difference between thinking of something, and wanting something?

I also said in that thread -- more than once, mind you -- that I prefer one-on-one matches at WrestleMania. It's just that Edge vs. John Cena and Triple H vs. Randy Orton don't really interest me, because they've been done to death. The H/RKO program is actually starting to appeal to me, because of the awesome writing on RAW, but Edge vs. Cena still feels like a mega-rehash to me. It doesn't even feel like a continuation of their old program, it's just the same feud done over again.

Also, my reaction to Jeritron's suggestion that there may be a possibility of a Fatal Four-Way was not negative.

Big Show going after the World Heavyweight Championship is something that is quite a fair bit different than something we've seen before. It's a fresh match, and the result would be a little less telegraphed. Does Big Show knock Edge the fuck out, and make a the fans mark out for his ass-kicking abilities, and become the first WWE-sanctioned World Championship Grand Slam Winner (WWE, WCW, ECW and World Heavyweight Champion), or does Edge keep Big Show's WrestleMania record as looking questionable at best?

John Cena can either face Hulk Hogan (which, contrary to my usual tastes, I would be bizarrely interested in seeing), or even JBL in an angle where JBL buys Cena's contract, or something, and Cena fights JBL in a "Winner Controls the Other Guy" match. Cena out of the main event is much more relieving than Cena in the main event.

BigDaddyCool
03-03-2009, 05:33 PM
What ever Noid, spin history which ever way you want. You were defending the 4 way match way to much for it just to be a passing thought. And now you are against a 3 way match because it happens to often. Whatever, go back to your own little world.

Mr. Nerfect
03-03-2009, 06:45 PM
What ever Noid, spin history which ever way you want. You were defending the 4 way match way to much for it just to be a passing thought. And now you are against a 3 way match because it happens to often. Whatever, go back toy your own little world.

Firstly, it makes no sense for you to tell me what I do and do not want to see. I know what I do and don't want to see, thank you very much.

Secondly, yes, Triple Threats happen way too often in big title matches at WrestleMania. In 2004, we got Triple H vs. Benoit vs. HBK, in 2006 we got Angle vs. Orton vs. Mysterio and in 2008 we got Orton vs. Triple H vs. Cena. As far as Fatal Four Ways go, we've seen Triple H vs. The Rock vs. Big Show vs. Mick Foley. We're still two Four Ways behind tying with Triple Threats.

Ruien
03-03-2009, 07:29 PM
They are two different matches BDC. Noid just wants to see something fresh, nothing wrong with that.

hb2k
03-04-2009, 07:23 AM
Big Show isn't a WrestleMania World Title match guy, he just isn't...

GD
03-04-2009, 07:34 AM
I don't mind Show winning the World Heavyweight title at Mania.

interforce
03-04-2009, 08:02 AM
I don't mind Show winning the World Heavyweight title at Mania.

Gotta agree.

He is pretty much at the top of his game at the moment. He is watchable and IMO it brings something different to the plate.

For once its got me watching Smackdown as i want to see where this is going.

Gerard
03-04-2009, 09:03 AM
Yeah, he did one in WCW.

He did one while egged on by ddp in the wcw powerplant. It was never captured on video, if it had been it would have shown up on wwe programming by now.

Xero
03-04-2009, 09:05 AM
He did one while egged on by ddp in the wcw powerplant. It was never captured on video, if it had been it would have shown up on wwe programming by now.

There's a video floating around of him doing it on Nitro I think. I'm 100% certain it exists.

Gerard
03-04-2009, 09:07 AM
Bigshow's chokeslam is better than most. He falls with it, thus making it look like he is putting all his weight on his opponet, thus greater than like Undertaker's lift and release chokeslam.

He has a better chokeslam when he falls with them which these days seems to be less and less often. A lot of the time these days it seems to look more nad more like a regular chokeslam.

When he did them like this they looked fucking amazing though and appeared to have a ton of impact.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/vOal-Bp-7Hw&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/vOal-Bp-7Hw&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Also got to love the bearhug slam on alex wright. :lol:

Triple Naitch
03-04-2009, 09:17 AM
Yeah, when Kane does his Chokeslam it doesn't make as much of an impact. Kane just drops the opponent like a body slam.

Gerard
03-04-2009, 09:21 AM
Yeah, when Kane does his Chokeslam it doesn't make as much of an impact. Kane just drops the opponent like a body slam.

Problem with kanes is he leans way down with the opponent when he's driving them down and it almost seems to make the impact look slower.

Mr. Nerfect
03-04-2009, 11:18 PM
It seems the WWE are building towards a reveal that Big Show was fucking Vickie Guerrero. If they have Vickie get "clingy" with Show, they could do a segment on SmackDown! where Vickie wants to know what it meant to Big Show. He could then say "It was just sex. Hell, I was thinking about food for most of it." Vickie then gets all vindictive -- "I'll make you pay!" -- and she keeps yelling at Show until he just gives his chin a little stroke, and then knocks Vickie Guerrero right out.

That would possibly be the biggest pop ever.

Jeritron
03-04-2009, 11:19 PM
He could then say "It was just sex. Hell, I was thinking about food for most of it." .

Gerard
03-06-2009, 06:45 PM
There's a video floating around of him doing it on Nitro I think. I'm 100% certain it exists.

Well he was interviewed one time on byte this and that was the story behind it, that it only ever happened once at wcw powerplant.