PDA

View Full Version : Is he better as a heel or face? (Jericho)

Rollermacka
03-07-2009, 09:20 PM
I've always been wondering do you like Chris Jericho as a heel or as a face?

Face
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/FHNfUtbdYb8&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/FHNfUtbdYb8&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Heel
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/cwhgo9Emv0Q&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/cwhgo9Emv0Q&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Xero
03-07-2009, 09:22 PM
Heel, but I prefer his WCW heel persona.

6to1
03-07-2009, 09:36 PM
yep wcw heel what ever hapened to lenny lane?

Triple Naitch
03-07-2009, 09:48 PM
In September 2007, Lenny Lane started a wrestling party business called WrestlingParties.com. The business has children coming to Lane's dojo where he teaches children the importance of excercise, healhy living, demonstrate pro wrestling moves and interacts with the children in a wrestling ring. Lane also runs a professional wrestling school at his wrestling dojo in Golden Valley, Minnesota.

He was also in an ECW squash match against Jack Swagger last year.

ozzman6669
03-07-2009, 11:18 PM
Heel Y2J and WCW Jericho was great, the new heel Jericho is fucking boring, his promo are always the same, faces are hypocrits, fans are hypocrits and now legend are hypocrits too !!!

Krimzon7
03-07-2009, 11:23 PM
I miss Y2J...

James Steele
03-07-2009, 11:24 PM
Jericho is like pudding, it is always good.

abec
03-07-2009, 11:27 PM
He's better with long hair.

Dorkchop
03-07-2009, 11:56 PM
Definitely a heel. WCW Jericho is one of my favorite characters of all time. Definitely in my top 5. Maybe even my top 2.

Lock Jaw
03-08-2009, 01:04 AM
Heel most definitely. Pretty much everything memorable he has done has come as a heel.

Juan
03-08-2009, 01:04 AM
Jericho is like pudding, it is always good.

Yes

Jeritron
03-08-2009, 05:33 AM
I will say heel. This isn't to say of course that Jericho hasn't been brilliant as a face however.
He is one of few who can truly play both on the highest level. I just think some of his funniest, and most compelling stuff comes from his ability to connect with the audience, and then use that knowledge to push them away.

He became a face because of how good of a heel he was/is.

Jeritron
03-08-2009, 05:35 AM
Heel most definitely. Pretty much everything memorable he has done has come as a heel.

I'll have to disagree with this. His first face run, which came shortly after he came to the WWF, was some of his most exciting and popular stuff. It was the most over he's ever been by far, and when he elevated himself to main event level.

Jeritron
03-08-2009, 05:41 AM
Jericho's transition to WWF is very interesting.

As far as heels and faces go, WCW (and it's crowd) defined the roles far more traditionally. Faces were faces, heels were heels. nWo were "cool heels", but they still got heat. They had attitude, but the crowd didn't treat it like the WWF's treated Austin and DX.

When Jericho was in WCW, he acted like a heel and was treated like one. Even if the crowd "loved to hate him", he got heat.
When he came to WWF, however, things were different. He did the same things as he did in WCW, but he was just too entertaining to the new crowd to be a heel. They cheered him. He instantly became a face.

Just an interesting measuring stick for the major differences between the WCW and WWF crowds, and what the attitude era was all about. That's how the heel/face roles were. Faces were heels, and heels were faces.
Angle getting tremendous amount of heat for being a clean-cut all american who preaches virtue is a strong example too.

Jeritron
03-08-2009, 05:44 AM
And that's why I love Jericho's current character. No matter how heelish he acted in his colorful, cocky character, he couldn't get heat. Not with a WWE crowd, or any modern crowd for that matter. So what did he do? He realized that and was able to "sellout"
I actually think it's pretty remarkable that a guy as over and well liked as Jericho found a way to get monster heat without the aid of a McMahon or Eddie Guerrero's widow.

Juan
03-08-2009, 06:04 AM
And that's why I love Jericho's current character. No matter how heelish he acted in his colorful, cocky character, he couldn't get heat. Not with a WWE crowd, or any modern crowd for that matter. So what did he do? He realized that and was able to "sellout"
I actually think it's pretty remarkable that a guy as over and well liked as Jericho found a way to get monster heat without the aid of a McMahon or Eddie Guerrero's widow.

I agree. That's why it bothers me when people call Jericho boring.

The guy evolved and added another dimension to his character.

Rammsteinmad
03-08-2009, 08:00 AM
Man, Jericho is awesome whatever he does. If he's a face, then he can be incredibly funny when he's running down heels on the mic, yet when he's a heel, he can be so entertaining as a cocky, arrogant bastard, or as an evil maniac.

Basically Jericho rules whatever he does.

By the way, is there any more to that Jericho/Santino promo, that was awesome shit.

jerichoholicninja
03-08-2009, 05:29 PM
Heel Jericho is great. I love that his character has grown up over his career. He started out as the whiny young man in WCW and now he's a bitter old man in WWE. I'm sure that that line of thinking wasn't used by the writers but it makes sense to people who know Chris and his history. I missed out on wrestling pretty much from the move to TNN and only started watching within the last two years so I really don't know much of a face Jericho but I thought when he returned as a face he was kinda bland to meh because he was doing the same stuff he always done. Now, his new heel character is something new for him and I love it. He has changed everything about himself, his ring attire, out of ring attire, the goatee, the way he talks and the things he says. Everything except his music. I wish he would start a promo once by saying, "If I could be serious for a moment." And then bring out super serious Lance Storm and together the two of them could be super serious.

Bottom line. I love me some Chris Jericho.

Johnny Vegas
03-08-2009, 07:00 PM
Have to agree with everything Jeritron said in this thread.

Kane Knight
03-08-2009, 08:42 PM
I like face Jericho, but I've always thought of him as much better as a heel.

ron the dial
03-08-2009, 09:00 PM
i've always enjoyed his heel work more. but really it doesn't matter. i'll take jericho in any form.

NeanderCarl
03-08-2009, 09:54 PM
I agree. That's why it bothers me when people call Jericho boring.

The guy evolved and added another dimension to his character.

I'd say, more accurately, he removed several dimensions from his character. Deliberately depriving fans of the 'charismatic, exciting' Jericho... he drove it home when he cut the promo about how never again would we see him sporting long hair, sparkly outfits, cracking jokes et al. Sounds strange to think, but by deliberately being "boring" and surprisingly less charismatic than before, he gets a huge amount of heat.

I really don't know much of a face Jericho but I thought when he returned as a face he was kinda bland to meh because he was doing the same stuff he always done.

Firstly, how would you know? Secondly, if you're unfamiliar with face Jericho, then it shouldn't be stale to you, it should still be a fresh novelty.

jerichoholicninja
03-08-2009, 09:59 PM
Firstly, how would you know? Secondly, if you're unfamiliar with face Jericho, then it shouldn't be stale to you, it should still be a fresh novelty.

What I meant was that he was playing the same character just going against heels instead of faces. When he came back.

Mercury Bullet
03-08-2009, 11:33 PM
He can pull off both but is better as a heel.

Savio
03-09-2009, 12:26 AM
I thought he was interesting until they dropped him from the McMahon feud.

Mr. Nerfect
03-09-2009, 03:34 AM
I like Jericho in both roles. He's just brilliant no matter what he does. I did vote for the face role, just for nostalgia's sake. I've never really wanted to get behind anybody as much as a face Chris Jericho in the WWE. Logically, though, I can see why people would vote for the heel personas of Jericho.

WCW Jericho was possibly one of the most entertaining characters ever. His stuff working with the crusierweights is just brilliant. I remember one event where he was doing ring announcing for a Crusierweight Battle Royal -- it is just genius. He is just so damn entertaining, that the same character he was playing there became one of the biggest face characters in the WWE when he jumped ship (although he had to cut out the whining, and add a little bass to things).

I also have to applaud Chris Jericho for what he's done to become the current day Jericho. The way he completely choked the life out of his old personas, and shut the door on the charismatic past he has going for him. That is a massive risk for a performer to take, and Jericho has just taken all these changes in stride. The evolution of the Jericho character over the last year or so has been one of the best things in professional wrestling, and Jericho deserves so much credit for that.

Chris Jericho is one of the few talents in the WWE that I would be proud to show off to my friends. He's so charismatic, entertaining and brilliant that he just completely negates any of the stereotypes of pro-wrestling, and elevates it to a more pure level of entertainment. That's my opinion, anyway.

BigDaddyCool
03-09-2009, 10:46 AM
Jericho is better when he isn't so serious (no Batman reference intended). Serious Jericho = boring. Him going around calling everyone hypocrites and sanctimonious sons of bitches and other $10 insults. But he uses the same one until he learns a new word. Serious Jericho reminds me of that pretentious prick in high school that is slowly building his vocabulary but acting like he is somehow smarter and better than everyone else.

Now not that it isn't a decent heel persona, it is just that Jericho should be that guy that, just he should be the college graduate version, possibly working on the Ph.D. while already nailed down a high paying job. The difference is, the high school version is cocky with potential, the Ph.D. version is cocky with success. That is the character Jericho should be playing, and he needs to liven it up. I find him boring.

Jamstar
03-09-2009, 11:06 AM
Definitely heel, from what i've seen. Anyone remember Ralphus or am I showing my age :(

Mercury Bullet
03-09-2009, 11:07 AM
The Ralphus times were good times

Volare
03-09-2009, 12:55 PM
<object width="445" height="364"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/xXkZCtZ-6IU&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x006699&color2=0x54abd6&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/xXkZCtZ-6IU&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x006699&color2=0x54abd6&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="445" height="364"></embed></object>

BigDaddyCool
03-09-2009, 01:38 PM
<object width="445" height="364"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/xXkZCtZ-6IU&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x006699&color2=0x54abd6&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/xXkZCtZ-6IU&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x006699&color2=0x54abd6&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="445" height="364"></embed></object>

That was gay.

NeanderCarl
03-09-2009, 08:40 PM
Not a botch, clearly intentional.

Juan
03-09-2009, 08:42 PM

That was hilarious.