PDA

View Full Version : Problems with monitor/desktop

Bazooka
03-28-2004, 12:41 AM
This sucks. For the past couple days whenever I tried turning on my computer the monitor would go black after it started up. Finally, We got it in safe mode and the problem is changing the settings; you can't change the settings on here. It's like 16 bit colour, and everything appears really large. A guy in my house told me that some drives got deleted from our computer or something like that. What do you think is the problem?

sadio8
03-28-2004, 12:47 AM
hhhmmm try reinstalling the video card drivers for your computer to see what happens. Make sure you moniter is connecting properly and all the plugs are in and whatnot.

Bazooka
03-28-2004, 03:05 AM
Thanks for the advice but that is too much of a bother right now. Everything is connected fine though.

We paid $150 to get our computer upgraded in December. Nothing much changed. The computer goes alot faster now though but our memory is still really low and now these problems. We should be bringing it in sometime this week.

The Mackem
03-28-2004, 06:47 AM
My monitor seems a lot darker than it used to be, I dunno what's up.

The Snake
03-28-2004, 08:03 AM
When you start the computer in safe mode your video card will default to VGA settings which is 16 colors. That's pretty much what safe mode is, it loads a minimum set of drivers to let you be able to get in to your system and troubleshoot it. What i'd recomend and I can give you more direction if you tell me your operating system, is to reinstall your video card drivers while you are in safe mode. I'm not sure how strong your computer background is, but the following would be useful if you could find it out.
1. The card brand and type. ATI, NVida?
2. Operating system
3. Who upgraded your computer (alot of times if the stores do it like compUSA they don't leave behind the important stuff like drivers because they want to charge you again when something goes wrong)
4. Monitor type - it might be that someone set the resolution or color setting higher than the monitor can handle.

sadio8
03-28-2004, 10:39 AM
Yeah man if I were you i'd reinstall the video card drivers. If anything is connected then at least make the attempt to re-install the video card drivers, no harm in doing it really.

Bazooka
03-28-2004, 02:33 PM
I don't even have the videocard drivers. How much would that cost?

DS
03-28-2004, 03:44 PM
Videocard drivers are free from the manufacturers website.

Start in safe mode and right click "My Computer" and then select Properties. Go to the "Hardware" tab and select "Device Manager".

When the window pops up select "Display adaptors" near the top and expand that menu. Right click your first choice and select "Properties".

When that window is done popping up you can find your manufactorer on that screen. You can then close out of the windows. If the manufactorer is Nvidia then go to http://www.nvidia.com and if it's ATI go to http://www.ati.com

You will be able to find a "Download" section at those websites and will be able to follow through and download the correct drivers.

Bazooka
03-28-2004, 05:50 PM
All right thanks. I'm at ATI site now and I've clicked on the proper operating system(98) I am just not certan as to which I download. Would it be Graphic Driver? I'm gonna try that.

Bazooka
03-28-2004, 05:51 PM
There there is another list of diffrent brands, which one should I choose?

DS
03-28-2004, 06:24 PM
Follow the steps I listed before and get to the Device Manager. The name of the brand should be the first option under the Display Driver name. :)

Bazooka
03-28-2004, 07:03 PM
There is no Device Manager tab or Downloads section?

sadio8
03-28-2004, 07:19 PM
Right click on your desktop, select properties and click on the settings tab. On the settings tab it will say display:

* over here should say what your video card driver is( # number and whatnot)

DS
03-28-2004, 07:20 PM
Start in safe mode and right click "My Computer" and then select Properties. Go to the "Hardware" tab and select "Device Manager".

When the window pops up select "Display adaptors" near the top and expand that menu.
From there, the first choice will tell you what series of ATI it is.

sadio8
03-28-2004, 07:21 PM
didn't your video card come with some sort of installation cd at all for the video card drivers?

Bazooka
03-28-2004, 07:27 PM
No.
And I already did that DS. Is it Graphic Driver I need to dl though?

DS
03-28-2004, 07:56 PM
Yes

Bazooka
03-28-2004, 09:10 PM
Nothing seems to work. :mad: I'll just let the professional handle this