PDA

View Full Version : Elite Ice Hockey League

Mooияakeя™
03-24-2009, 06:13 PM
Wild shot in the dark here.

But are there any fans of the British Hockey league here? I'd hope there are, but doubt it. I like ice hockey, but don't see much NHL and only see Slovak matches when over there with the missus, apart from that I was detached. But have recently discovered my local (30+ miles away! lol) team Coventry Blaze, and I was hooked.

It's not of amazing level, but it's far closer to the North American style than European, which for me is a plus. I like the rougher style rather than a more technical game. Yeah we have loads of 2nd rate Canadians and Americans, but apart from a few Euro imports here and there, we have some OK players.

Well, at least we're giving it a shot and getting 2,200+ each week (even more at places like Sheffield and Nottingham). It's a pro league, and I hope it sticks around and doesn't die out, especially in this time of no monies.

El Vaquero de Infierno
03-24-2009, 06:26 PM
With FIVE increasingly pushing back their NHL ice hockey time slots to 3-4 am, I keep hoping that some UK terrestrial station will start broadcasting UK ice hockey games. I need my hockey fix. If I could be assed, I'd go see manchester Pheonix matches. But it is a bit out of the way.

Mike the Metal Ed
03-24-2009, 06:28 PM
I keep meaning to go see the Nottingham Panthers, but I'd much rather Leicester have its own facilities for a team.

Gertner
03-24-2009, 06:36 PM
My fav player Wade Belak played for the Coventry Blaze during the lockout

Mooияakeя™
03-24-2009, 07:24 PM
With FIVE increasingly pushing back their NHL ice hockey time slots to 3-4 am, I keep hoping that some UK terrestrial station will start broadcasting UK ice hockey games. I need my hockey fix. If I could be assed, I'd go see manchester Pheonix matches. But it is a bit out of the way.

If u live near Manchester u can pick it up on Channel M I think on Digital. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Channel_M)

I swear he had an awesome fight too whilst there.

El Vaquero de Infierno
03-24-2009, 07:44 PM
Channel M doesn't appear on freeview until after the digital switch over, whenever that is. But I'll keep a look out for it.

Zen v.W.o.
03-24-2009, 10:28 PM

Eric Cairns wanted to tear him apart.

Gertner
03-25-2009, 03:22 PM
Cairns is a bitch. Always has been.

Zen v.W.o.
03-26-2009, 07:08 PM
He's beat up some great fighters. He laid a masterful one on Corson as I recall.

Gertner
03-26-2009, 11:32 PM
lol corson was not a great fighter.

Kapoutman
03-27-2009, 06:12 PM
Yeah, Corson was a bitch. :o

Zen v.W.o.
03-27-2009, 06:24 PM
lol corson was not a great fighter.

Do you know anything about hockey fights? Corson was a man that could handle himself against most anybody out there, and did. He's taken on some great fighters and won them.

Cairns was a freak. Early days he lacked balance and coordiantion but once he managed that aspect of his game, he was easily top 5. At the time these two played each other, Cairns was the better fighter.(Better than Belak, is what I'm saying)

Gertner
03-28-2009, 02:54 PM
Corson was a man who could handle himself against other skilled players who could fight. Going against the true heavyweights in the league at the time he'd get killed.

And trust me, I'm a hockeyfight expert. Cairns has never been a better fighter than Belak. Belak has lost 4 fights in the past 3 and a half years. He's beaten every name out there.

Mooияakeя™
03-30-2009, 03:19 PM
Cairns is a fuckin prat.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/wCZ1zIOYtFw&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en&feature=player_embedded&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/wCZ1zIOYtFw&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en&feature=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Zen v.W.o.
03-30-2009, 04:37 PM
Corson was a man who could handle himself against other skilled players who could fight. Going against the true heavyweights in the league at the time he'd get killed.

And trust me, I'm a hockeyfight expert. Cairns has never been a better fighter than Belak. Belak has lost 4 fights in the past 3 and a half years. He's beaten every name out there.

We're talking about the same Belak who after Orr tuned him up, wanted no real part in actually fighting, so he came up with that turn your head away and duck approach? He barely won during those years because he was too scared to get hurt again.

Cairns while at his peak was easily top 5. Belak, until perhaps this season, had never been there before.

As for Corson, I agree he isnt a HW. He can fight them, and did. But he was very easily one of the best middleweights, light heavies out there, no question. This man could change hands, and change them up quick.
When you said he wasnt a great fighter it sounded like you were bashing him is all.

Mooияakeя™
03-30-2009, 08:28 PM
Fucking hell, Godard and Colton Orr really hate each other it seems. Everytime they up against each other. Don't even wait to touch play before this fucker hits off:

<object width="480" height="295"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/pVI26Ms3OKs&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x006699&color2=0x54abd6"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/pVI26Ms3OKs&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x006699&color2=0x54abd6" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="295"></embed></object>

Gertner
03-30-2009, 10:53 PM
We're talking about the same Belak who after Orr tuned him up, wanted no real part in actually fighting, so he came up with that turn your head away and duck approach? He barely won during those years because he was too scared to get hurt again.

Cairns while at his peak was easily top 5. Belak, until perhaps this season, had never been there before.

As for Corson, I agree he isnt a HW. He can fight them, and did. But he was very easily one of the best middleweights, light heavies out there, no question. This man could change hands, and change them up quick.
When you said he wasnt a great fighter it sounded like you were bashing him is all.

Belak has been top 5 for 3 years. He's been on a torrid pace for a while.

Zen v.W.o.
03-31-2009, 10:53 PM
Belak sucked the last few years, due to his fighting style and the fact he didnt play all that much. His enforcing duties were not up to par.

You are way overrating the Albino.

LoDownM
04-01-2009, 12:47 AM
Fucking hell, Godard and Colton Orr really hate each other it seems. Everytime they up against each other. Don't even wait to touch play before this fucker hits off:

<object width="480" height="295">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/pVI26Ms3OKs&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x006699&color2=0x54abd6" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="295"></object>

It has more to do with the Pens and Rangers being in the same division than anything else.

Mooияakeя™
04-01-2009, 01:18 PM
It has more to do with the Pens and Rangers being in the same division than anything else.

I'm not American. Please explain this. Do NY and PA not like each other? Or am i missing something else?

Gertner
04-01-2009, 01:19 PM
Belak sucked the last few years, due to his fighting style and the fact he didnt play all that much. His enforcing duties were not up to par.

You are way overrating the Albino.

Belak has been fantastic the past few years.

Kane86
04-01-2009, 01:29 PM
Belak has been fantastic the past few years.

Give me your address

Gertner
04-01-2009, 01:30 PM
Give me your address

Sorry Kane86, you must have got lost. This isn't the unemployed, welfare collecting internet loser forum.

Kane86
04-01-2009, 01:32 PM
Sorry Kane86, you must have got lost. This isn't the unemployed, welfare collecting internet loser forum.

Give me yourr address. No I work for money unlike you. I speak the truth about myself I don't make up lies like you do just so everyone will think your cool. Now give me your address!

Gertner
04-01-2009, 01:34 PM
Give me yourr address. No I work for money unlike you. I speak the truth about myself I don't make up lies like you do just so everyone will think your cool. Now give me your address!

lol no you don't.

Kane86
04-01-2009, 01:37 PM
lol no you don't.

GIVE ME YOUR ADDRESS!!!! Lets see how much of badass your not.

Mooияakeя™
04-01-2009, 01:45 PM
You're

LoDownM
04-01-2009, 10:07 PM
I'm not American. Please explain this. Do NY and PA not like each other? Or am i missing something else?

Pittsburgh might hate NY, I dunno lol. It's just like most sports rivalry's, games against a division rival is gonna be more serious then when you play a team not in your division.

Impeccable
04-07-2009, 06:20 AM
Haven't watched any for ages...local team is Sheffield Steelers.

They're apparently moving to my home town (Rotherham) into what is called the YES! Project, in about ten years time.

Impeccable
04-07-2009, 06:21 AM
Also, just seen this press release

http://www.sheffieldsteelers.co.uk/news/archives/index.html?article_id=3083

Media Release – April 6th, 2009.

For Immediate release…

Elite League members reach agreement on exciting new future.

Following pro-active negotiations at a meeting of the nine clubs on Monday, the Elite League are delighted to announce that a new format involving all the clubs has been reached.

Chairman Eamon Convery confirmed, “we’ve just enjoyed a memorable Playoff Finals weekend, bringing the curtain down on the 2008-09 season and following today’s meeting all the clubs are looking forward to the 2009-10 campaign.”

“Representatives of the Edinburgh Capitals, Manchester Phoenix and Newcastle Vipers joined with their counterparts from the Belfast Giants, Cardiff Devils, Coventry Blaze, Hull Stingrays, Nottingham Panthers and Sheffield Steelers and it’s my pleasure to advise that all are committed to the future of the Elite League.”

“The weekend was a spectacular success with both days sold out and it’s that level of success that these clubs and their officials have worked hard for since the inception of the league and wish to continue to build and improve upon. When we see so many supporters from all the clubs from across the country intermingling and everyone having a great time, it’s a massive endorsement of the product we’re promoting and keen to improve upon wherever possible.”

“To that effect, the Elite League in 2009-10 will operate with some revisions to the previous formats. The clubs have agreed to a new maximum of ten import (ITC) players per roster on any given game night. The regular League season will see all teams meet each other three times home and away for a 48-game season. The Knockout Cup as we know it will cease, but a new revised Challenge Cup will be unveiled and work on the full format of the competition, leading to a one-game, neutral venue final has begun already.”

“ The Elite League is also keen to introduce a new early-season tournament weekend and again, work on an exciting new three-day festival has already begun. And then of course, the culmination of the season will be the post-season playoffs and the goal of every club to get through to the Playoff Finals weekend.”

“We will confirm exact details of the revised Challenge Cup format and the early-season tournament as soon as possible. Everyone left the meeting in a positive frame of mind and determined to continue to work toward a bright and exciting future.”

“The Elite League has a tremendous product and I am of the firm belief that the agreements reached today and the revised competition formats will energise the supporters for another spectacular season of top-flight ice hockey.”

Mooияakeя™
04-14-2009, 05:01 PM
So are they trying to help domestic players with that maximum 10 imports? No mention on that, wouldn't they try to big that up?

I'm considering buying a Coventry Blaze season ticket. But, going on my own is fucking lame. But still deciding it.

El Vaquero de Infierno
04-15-2009, 10:43 AM
Do it!

Mooияakeя™
04-22-2009, 02:09 PM
£335 for season ticket if brought before May 16th. I'd do that, but really, no rl mates like Ice Hockey. ah well, I have another fortnight to decide for early bird offer.

El Vaquero de Infierno
04-22-2009, 03:16 PM
Nothing wrong going by your billy lonesome.