PDA

View Full Version : The PTC, Precognitive censors, and the F(u)CC(k)

Kane Knight
12-15-2003, 01:18 PM
Okay.

So the PTC's demanding heads should roll on the use of "fu</>ck" on live TV. They think that they should have had a censor at work on that. I think it's hilarious that they believe censors should be able to beep a word on live TV (Ignore the time delays some broadcasts use...It's just funnier this way)

Meanwhile the FCC has decided that fu</>ck is only a bad word to be censored if it's used in a sexual sense.

I wonder what the verdict is on "nig</>ger?" I heard it like 4 times in 10 seconds on Collin Quinn the other night. I notice it's censored on MTV, but on G-Rated programming like the Jeffersons, it's okay.

Champion of Europa
12-15-2003, 05:37 PM
From what I remember, I saw on Tough Crowd and other shows, that its censored if your not black or something. I can't remember cause I only watch Tough Crowd for Jim Norton anyway.

Kane Knight
12-15-2003, 05:57 PM
From what I remember, I saw on Tough Crowd and other shows, that its censored if your not black or something. I can't remember cause I only watch Tough Crowd for Jim Norton anyway.

I thought that at first. The first couple of times were by a black guy, but one of the other panelists said it too. Least, I'm pretty sure. It was a discussion over the word though, which might have been considered "special circumstances..." Like when they showed Schindler's List uncut, or "Scared Straight" Or whatever that prison reality program was called.

KleptoKlown
12-15-2003, 06:47 PM
i dont get cencorship.

People get pissy about a word, yet any action movie will show peoples heads getting blown off.

Kane Knight
12-15-2003, 06:52 PM
{lepto]{lown']i dont get cencorship.

People get pissy about a word, yet any action movie will show peoples heads getting blown off.

My mother had a fit when my brother was watching Sleepy Hollow.

Not for the decapitations, which were fine, but for the sexual scene (In which you really didn't see anything anyways). People are weird. Censors are even weirder sometimes.

loopydate
12-15-2003, 07:10 PM
I love any ratings system that allows hardcore violence in a PG-13 movie, but once the "F-bombs" and nudity starts, here comes the R.

I'm not offended by things in movies, but I would be much less offended if my kids (when I have them) saw a boobie or heard someone say "****" than if they saw someone get their head cut off or their intestines ripped out.

Kane Knight
12-15-2003, 11:55 PM
I love any ratings system that allows hardcore violence in a PG-13 movie, but once the "F-bombs" and nudity starts, here comes the R.

I'm not offended by things in movies, but I would be much less offended if my kids (when I have them) saw a boobie or heard someone say "****" than if they saw someone get their head cut off or their intestines ripped out.

I totally agree. I don't get it. Well, I take that back. I get offense at words. I get offense at violence. I don't get why fu</>ck would be more offensive than killing someone in cold blood. I understand when people are offended, and I try to empathise. But that seems a little extreme.

I don't get offended or bothered at the movies or on TV. Well, crap bothers me, but that's a quality issue. I understand that other people do, and that the ratings system is a good concept in THEORY...

Vega
12-16-2003, 02:51 AM
I thought that at first. The first couple of times were by a black guy, but one of the other panelists said it too. Least, I'm pretty sure. It was a discussion over the word though, which might have been considered "special circumstances..." Like when they showed Schindler's List uncut, or "Scared Straight" Or whatever that prison reality program was called.

lol, strangely enough I watched that too. I think they don't blank it out if your black, and if you say "Nigga" they don't blank it out if you're white. To blank it out you have to be white and say "Nigg</>er"

Kane Knight
12-17-2003, 01:26 AM
lol, strangely enough I watched that too. I think they don't blank it out if your black, and if you say "Nigga" they don't blank it out if you're white. To blank it out you have to be white and say "Nigg</>er"

It's interesting that they make the disctinction. It's also weird that MTV still censors it. Come on, I hear 8 year olds calling each other "nigga/nig</>ger." I think it's kinda moronic to even bother.

Then again, I think it's farkin' ridiculous to even put on music you find unsuitable to play, and then censor it retrospectively. It's either okay or it's not. The context of the words means that the hatred bleeds through even when nig</>ger or fag</>got get edited out. Eminem's message isn't any friendlier because they take away a couple of his words. It's stupid to play make-believe and act like taking away a couple of buzzwords makes everything better. Not that I expect that MTV would ever try and exercise any discretion.