PDA

View Full Version : PPV Hockey Fight Tourny in the Works??

Gertner
12-15-2003, 01:21 PM
Windsor Star December 15th 2003

They say there are only three things that get hockey fans out of their seats- a great goal, a great save or a great fight. A Manitoba sports promotor is hoping to dispense with the first two and cut right to dropping gloves with a pay per view hockey fight tournament. "People stand up when there's a fight", said Brandon Man., promotor Darryl Wolski. "This is something that's never been done before." The concept of a television show featuring hockey fights first came up about three years ago, he said. Wolski plans to round up between 50 and 100 pugilists, who will each pay an entry fee of bewteen $200 and $250 to participate in the Hockey Gladiators show.

Um, there's a reason why it hasn't been done before. Because it's fricken stupid!! Actually, if it's in the spring it'll give The Canucks something to do when they get knocked out first round.

MoRcHeEbA
12-15-2003, 01:40 PM
remember when brad may beat the living shit out of Perrot :rofl:

road doggy dogg
12-15-2003, 01:41 PM
Yeah I dunno, I'd rather just watch one of them Don Cherry "Rock 'em Sock 'em" videos or something :o

Gertner
12-15-2003, 01:42 PM
yeah. considering perrot is like t.o's 5th best fighter, and may would have got killed by Marchment, domi, belak, nolan, and hell even tucker

MoRcHeEbA
12-15-2003, 01:44 PM
im sure he would... Bertuzzi is a beast number one and if he wanted he could easily beat the shit out of anyone on anyteam in the NHL but to stay on topic the guy has tried to do a couple other dumb ideas here in Winnipeg and Brandon and they usually just go bust before it starts...

Gertner
12-15-2003, 01:49 PM
lol bertuzzi never fights. not that he's not tough or anything.

What else has he tried? I'm curious, cause this story cracked me up.

MoRcHeEbA
12-15-2003, 01:54 PM
he tried to get an arm wrestling PPV if I remember... aswell as a monopoly game championships or something like that.

Gertner
12-15-2003, 01:56 PM
maybe a touchdown dance ppv in the works? fans like touchdown dances! Or maybe a bench clearing baseball brawl torunament. Does he understand how stupid this sounds?

Gertner
12-19-2003, 09:44 AM
lol tony twist has entered the tournament.

KleptoKlown
12-19-2003, 01:32 PM
Grimson is going to be a judge.

Grim reaper rules :cool:

Lara Emily
12-19-2003, 01:45 PM
{lepto]{lown']Grimson is going to be a judge.

Grim reaper rules :cool:
Stu Grimson. Ah those were the days.

KleptoKlown
12-19-2003, 01:55 PM
I still think he could take half these young whippersnappers to school if it wasnt for the health problems. :rant:

Gertner
12-19-2003, 02:05 PM
lol i'm so waiting for probert to enter this.

KleptoKlown
12-19-2003, 02:18 PM
he needs the coke money

MoRcHeEbA
12-19-2003, 07:14 PM
Beef's wild idea now has some meat to it. Brandon promoter Darryl (Beef) Wolski announced yesterday that former NHL tough guys Tony Twist, Enrico Ciccone and Kurt Walker are three of 20 hockey players who have applied to fight in The Battle of the Hockey Gladiators, a pay-per-view event Wolski dreamed up three years ago and revealed to the opinionated hockey world last weekend.

"If you phone me back in 15 minutes there will be an update," said Wolski, whose cellphone has been ringing off the hook.

There was no doubt Wolski was going to get media attention -- "I'm trying to keep track of all the media stuff we've done. It's too far gone to control now," he said -- but the question was: Would anyone actually sign up?

Happy dance

The answer is yes, as Twist confirmed yesterday when reached just seconds before he went on the air to host his own radio show. Twist had no time to explain why he signed up, but Wolski was back in the Wheat City doing a happy dance.

"Tony Twist is monstrous," Wolski said. "His agent phoned me from New York and my phone fell to the floor and I went 'Wow, I didn't expect this.' "

"(Twist) said he's been talking to guys like Troy Crowder, and guys like him have expressed interest to him when he saw that he was interested."

Twist, 35, appeared in 445 NHL games between 1990 and 1999 and compiled 1,121 penalty minutes and could already be the event's coup de gras. But Ciccone, 33, is no slouch either, considering he appeared in just 374 NHL games between 1991 and 2001 and collected a whopping 1,469 penalty minutes.

Walker, 49, played sparingly for the Toronto Maple Leafs in the mid-1970s and spent 152 minutes in the sin bin over the span of 71 games.

"Those are a couple of name guys," Wolski said. "Today I've been bombarded with Quebec semi-pro guys. Those are actually the kind of guys I expect."

Wolski wants to have 64 combatants take to the ice at a yet-to-be-determined arena on Labour Day weekend next year. It costs $250 US to get in and the winner will take home $50,000 US. A panel of judges will decide the winner of each minute-long bout.

Wolski first targeted Ralph Engelstad Arena in Grand Forks, N.D., as the site of his controversial show, but officials there haven't been returning his calls lately. Wolski said there are plenty of other potential sites.

The story first appeared in The Sun on Sunday and it has since gone global.

"Sunday came around and I picked up the paper," Wolski said. "I went to the rink and had the odd person laughing at me and this other person saying 'What are you doing?' And then the second call I get is from (Winnipeg radio station) Power 97, and I expected that.

"Then boom. It was just like an avalanche. On Monday it's CNN, Canada AM, Reuters, Canadian Press. I betcha almost every major market in North America -- radio or TV or print -- and now it's gone to Reuters, so now it's gone internationally.

"I've done India, Israel, I did Moscow and Kiev today on the phone with an interpreter. CNN wants to send a truck to Brandon to interview me during a Wheat King game. There's no way to imagine this. There's just no way."

Wolski said New York-based talent agency William Morris, which represents Hollywood stars and rock bands like the Rolling Stones, contacted him this week and are in negotiations to represent The Battle of the Hockey Gladiators in all necessary negotiations.

Wolski said he will travel to New York in January to meet with William Morris officials, then to St. Louis to speak with Budweiser about sponsorships and then on to Toronto to appear on TSN's Off The Record

there's an article that was in the paper in Winnipeg today.

YOUR Hero
12-19-2003, 07:39 PM
Tony Twist, Prince George, guess I gotta cheer for him.

Lara Emily
12-19-2003, 07:55 PM
{lepto]{lown']I still think he could take half these young whippersnappers to school if it wasnt for the health problems. :rant:
Stu was awesome and yay for Enrico Ciccone, when I was younger I used to love to just say his name over nad over again in almost a song like fashion.

VonErich Lives
12-22-2003, 11:46 AM
Walker called into a local Radio station where X-bruin Lyndon Byers does the sports, he kinda set him up, went on air and asked him about it (basiclly gave it free press).

LB bashed the idea, "Yeah, I've talked to the guy and told him when he gets some money to call me"

LB said the players have to pay like $500.00 to be in, and they have to pay their room/board it... and I think it's single elimination.

I don't think you'll see any of the real big names unless they make it much more lucrative.

There was some talk that the guy running it was in talks with Vince McMahon about some financing... so who knows...

MoRcHeEbA
12-22-2003, 03:31 PM
250 to get in VEL and the grand prize is 50,000 american. Yeah they'll probably have to pay room and board but if these guys wanna take part in this dumbass idea then more power to Wolski

MoRcHeEbA
12-22-2003, 03:33 PM
also it's not like these guys didn't make enough money playing hockey to not be able to afford the room and board :p

asphyXy
12-22-2003, 03:37 PM
<font color=969696>Joey Kocur > all</font>

VonErich Lives
12-22-2003, 05:58 PM
also it's not like these guys didn't make enough money playing hockey to not be able to afford the room and board :p

The money is the issue, top goons (Probert, Jay Miller, etc...) got paid well (not great) so the idea of spending the time/money for what could be nothing isn't worth it.

They'll get some 2nd rate goons and could end up with career minor leaguers or maybe some over 30 league guys...

But if they want the best, Probert, Jay Miller, Domi, etc... They need to up the money.

Offer 250K or 500K, get the best of the best, sell it on PPV at $50.00 a pop.

If McMahon gets involved hopefully it will get some real money, otherwise, I don't think it's going to be to excititing.

MoRcHeEbA
12-22-2003, 06:01 PM
I doubt mcmahon will get involved. The guy really has no support in Brandon or Winnipeg. He doesn't even want to hold it here. He want's to hold it next year but doesn't have a location yet. So he can't get any support from a city yet anyways. it's a dumb idea and wont go down anyways probably.

VonErich Lives
12-22-2003, 06:04 PM
I dunno, if they got the top goons, I'd watch.

Especially some guy who were different era's and didn't get to go at each other, or guys who used to battle all the time.

So, if they have a female battle of the goons, you in?

MoRcHeEbA
12-22-2003, 06:07 PM
no point. I would get tuned by some fatty probably. :D

Gertner
12-23-2003, 09:58 AM
Kocur has terrible hands. I'm really interested in seeing who else they get. Crowder wouldn't surprise me. Here's a list of guys I compiled that I'd like to See

Crowder
Alex Stojanov(I boxed against him. He hits like a train)
Basil McRae
Kelly Chase
John Kordic(If he were alive)
John Craighead
Bob Probert
Link Gaetz
Ken Baumgartner!!(My dream!)