PDA

View Full Version : The new Freddy Krueger is...

Jeritron
04-04-2009, 04:39 PM
Jackie Earle Haley AKA Rorschach from Watchmen.

http://www.dailyactor.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/jackie-earle-haley.jpg

It was officially announced today after a long time of speculation. Discuss.

G
04-04-2009, 04:41 PM
Don't fuck this one up too. :shifty:

Jeritron
04-04-2009, 04:43 PM
No clue what happened there. Some kind of link in the pasted source took over

Jeritron
04-04-2009, 04:44 PM
Yea btw, they've been talking about recasting Englund for a while now. I thought it was a terrible idea, but I'm okay with this now.

What Would Kevin Do?
04-04-2009, 04:46 PM
I was against it too... With that said, that's damn good casting right there.

Boondock Saint
04-04-2009, 05:11 PM
I approve.

Arashi Kage
04-04-2009, 07:21 PM
Come on! Englund is Freddy! I've lost all faith in Hollywood. Quit remaking all the awesome stuff from the 80's and find some new original ideas or do sequels with the proper actors - sequels that are real sequels and not "passing the torch" sequels to younger actors - like apparantly what Ghostbusters 3 will become.

Fox
04-04-2009, 10:29 PM
Englund is Freddy Krueger. This is an outrage. It's blasphemous. It's horrendous. It's insulting. It's preposterous. It's jerk-assery.

It's Hollywood.

PorkSoda
04-04-2009, 10:32 PM
I'm not a big Freddy fan, only seen 2 movies out of the whole Freddy series (One of them was Vs. Jason), but I do believe that Englund IS and should be Freddy.

But I do approve though of Jackie. He was badass in Watchmen. "When you gonna realize? I'm not locked in here with you. You're locked in here with me"

Nowhere Man
04-04-2009, 10:37 PM
To be fair, apparently they asked Englund and he didn't want to do it. Still, Haley oughta be interesting, at least.

Zeeboe
04-04-2009, 10:38 PM
Kelly from The Bad News Brown is gonna play Freddy?

Wow. I haven't seen that guy in anything since he was in Losin' it.

Blitz
04-05-2009, 12:13 PM
Excellent choice.

Mr. Nerfect
04-08-2009, 10:39 AM
I understand why people cling to Englund, but if it wasn't going to be him, Haley is a fucking good choice.

ron the dial
04-08-2009, 01:45 PM
we'll see. i still think recasting englund is unnecessary.

D Mac
04-08-2009, 01:50 PM
I thought it was going to be Billy Bob Thorton?

Jeritron
04-08-2009, 04:54 PM
we'll see. i still think recasting englund is unnecessary.

I would agree, but Englund didn't want to do it again. I guess he's pursuing his "directing career". So, the next logical course of action is to just not make it. Well, it's money in the bank so that's not going to happen.
So, my take on it is that if it does have to happen, and Englund isn't available, this is the best possible scenario.

ron the dial
04-08-2009, 06:23 PM
oh i wasn't keeping up on this (and didn't read the thread i was posting in apparently) so i didn't realize he didn't want anything to do with it. as i've stated before, i don't have a problem remaking the movie because it really could use an update. but the role of freddy is not as easily filled as jason or michael myers, so i'm a whole lot more skeptical about this even if i kind of do like the choice.

Jeritron
04-08-2009, 06:52 PM
Yea it's def a harder role to fill. Englund IS Krueger. I think the burden is on them to prove they can make it work without him.

Anybody Thrilla
04-09-2009, 11:44 AM
He doesn't look TOO different. Like a younger Englund.

Fox
04-09-2009, 12:36 PM
They better keep the same weird, pastel color palette from the first one, or it's just going to look like every other horror movie.

Jeritron
04-09-2009, 04:10 PM
First one's pretty dark. I think Freddy went pastel in the sequels. I agree though, I don't want it to have that gritty, rusty, dingy look that everything since Saw has used. Saw and the Texas Chainsaw remake obviously took it from Se7en, which did it better, and now they all look like made-for-tv production quality knockoffs of seven.

D Mac
04-09-2009, 06:02 PM
I thought it was going to be Billy Bob Thorton?

ron the dial
04-09-2009, 06:08 PM
apparently not, diesel mac. and that's a good thing.

weather vane
04-11-2009, 08:35 PM
KELLY LEAK!

KayfabeMan
04-14-2009, 02:15 AM
Oy.

Jeritron
04-14-2010, 07:22 PM
http://img442.imageshack.us/img442/2615/freddyy.jpg

Freddy's new makeup job. Shit I'd say.

Downunder
04-14-2010, 08:44 PM
As long as it is in 3D it won't matter what they do to it.

Crimson
04-14-2010, 09:57 PM
To be honest, almost anyone that would be cast the new Freddy would be shit compared to Englund.

parkmania
04-14-2010, 10:12 PM
I think I read that there was a possibility that Englund would be willing to appear in a "passing the torch" moment.

Fignuts
04-14-2010, 10:23 PM
They are going for a darker more serious version of the story. England isn't the best choice for that.

Blitz
04-15-2010, 03:10 AM
Love the new makeup. Looks much creepier.

Blitz
04-15-2010, 03:14 AM
Slightly better look at it

http://www.aintitcool.com/images2009/freddy2010.jpg

Love the eyes. Dunno. They look so...dead, I guess.

Dave Youell
04-15-2010, 03:26 AM
He looks like an alien, the reason I liked the old one was that he looked sort of human but burnt, this just looks weird

KIRA
04-15-2010, 03:36 AM
He actually looks more like a burn victim than Englund did IE his features are somewhat erased

which would give him an alien appearance of sorts

Skippord
04-15-2010, 04:54 AM
I always thought Robert Englund looked like Pizza The Hut from Spaceballs kinda

El Vaquero de Infierno
04-15-2010, 05:40 AM
Another unnecessary remake.

Sixx
04-15-2010, 05:50 AM
Everytime I looked at this guy I was like "If they do a Nightmare On Elm Street remake, they'll cast him".

Ok, not really.

Anybody Thrilla
04-15-2010, 11:11 AM
This will have to be better than the Friday the 13th remake at least.

What Would Kevin Do?
04-15-2010, 12:14 PM
This will have to be better than the Friday the 13th remake at least.

It'd be hard not too, Jason was a fricking Ninja in that movie.

D Mac
04-15-2010, 03:08 PM
So they remade Friday the 13th and this. So, Freddy vs Jason 2 with the new guys?

Jeritron
04-15-2010, 03:21 PM
That would make it Freddy vs Jason. The first one played off of the existing franchises for both, storywise.
It would have to be a first meeting again. I doubt they'd do that again for a long time. After both reboots have no more gas left in the tank.

Freddy vs Jason 2 should have been done before they rebooted both, but that's long gone now.

I heard the next Friday the 13th is going to be set at Crystal Lake in the winter time. Jason in the snow.

Jon Kano
04-15-2010, 03:23 PM
Saw it last night, it's pretty good!

The Genius
04-15-2010, 09:28 PM
They are going for a darker more serious version of the story. England isn't the best choice for that.

englund did a great job as a menacing dark killer in the first and second movies. but yeah he did go for a one liner comedy approach for all the sequels with freddy's dead being one of the best comedies ever.

Fignuts
04-15-2010, 09:31 PM
Wait this is out already?

parkmania
04-15-2010, 09:47 PM
but yeah he did go for a one liner comedy approach for all the sequels with freddy's dead being one of the best comedies ever.

Wait, which movies did Englund write again?

The Genius
04-15-2010, 09:51 PM
he didnt write any of them to my knowledge so i guess its not fair to say it was all on him that freddy turned comedian 3 movies into the franchise.

as far as i know, the movie didnt come out in the US til 4/30

PorkSoda
04-15-2010, 10:45 PM
They probably saw a screening of it since it does come out on the 30th.

I never really liked any of the NOES movies, and to be honest, I've only watched half of the first one and it was a real long time ago. It doesn't really interest me to watch it again or the other ones. Sadly, the only movie I've watched with Freddy throughout was Freddy vs. Jason. I think Englund should be back for Freddy because it doesn't seem like Rorschach fits the Freddy role. I'll probably see this version though, and I might see the first one again, you never know.

What Would Kevin Do?
04-15-2010, 11:39 PM
That would make it Freddy vs Jason. The first one played off of the existing franchises for both, storywise.
It would have to be a first meeting again. I doubt they'd do that again for a long time. After both reboots have no more gas left in the tank.

Freddy vs Jason 2 should have been done before they rebooted both, but that's long gone now.

I heard the next Friday the 13th is going to be set at Crystal Lake in the winter time. Jason in the snow.

If it's not Freddy vs Jason vs Ash, I don't want it!

Jeritron
04-15-2010, 11:45 PM
or Michael Myers. Though Myers doesn't really fit as well, since the first Halloween is on a higher level. The sequels were so shitty, and added enough supernatural power to Myers that he would have worked. If only just for the sheer novelty of it.

Involving Myers in the sequel, and then Ash to fight them all in part 3 would have been great

D Mac
04-16-2010, 05:15 AM
http://fridaythe13thfilms.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/fvsjvsa.jpg

I have the whole series. :cool:

Jeritron
04-16-2010, 12:11 PM
It's cool how the Book of the Dead is in Jason Goes To Hell, as is Freddy's Glove. They were setting up for it all the way back then

parkmania
04-16-2010, 01:15 PM
http://fridaythe13thfilms.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/fvsjvsa.jpg

I have the whole series. :cool:

There's a second series out, in case you were unaware.

Zeeboe
05-01-2010, 10:07 AM
I saw the Nightmare on Elm Street remake last night. Kinda predictable, & full of cliches that only newbies would scream at. It was an alright film, but I still prefer the original. Honestly, if I could redo last night, I probably would have just waited for the blu-ray or DVD.

The film felt more like a sequel then a remake. Rather you consider that to be good or bad is up to you.

Jackie Earl Hayley was great, & the best part of the movie. He's an awesome actor. I cannot stress this enough, & I REALLY, REALLY don't want anyone thinking I am disrespecting him or the character because I'm not. I loved him a lot in the role, & he was the perfect choice to bring back Freddy. He has very intense & creepy eyes behind that make-up. I think it's great Jackie Earl Hayley made such a huge comeback. The make-up also looked wonderful, & his voice was great. But honestly, for the most part, seeing the new Freddy just made me miss Robert Englund. :(

A lot of actors have played Dracula before, but Bela Lugosi is always going to be the real Dracula, just like Robert Englund will always be the real Freddy, and just like Jackie Earl Hayley will always be Rorschach from "Watchmen".

The Nightmare on Elm Street movie is well made, & watchable. I may just be bias because of my love for Classic Freddy, & it was also way past my bedtime when I watched it, & it had been a long day, so I could change my mind, & may end up regretting typing all this so please take none of this to the heart.

I'm glad the Freddy character is back, & the subject of conversations again, & that a new generation is discovering him.

I think it's target audience is most likely the younger generation, & newer & younger horror fans who are just discovering the Freddy character will most likely enjoy it. Sure, they could just watch the old-school Nightmare, but most teenagers aren't into anything that is consider "old" or stuff they're parents were into when they were kids.

Plus, it has all the modern day teen stuff kids of today can relate to (cell phones, texting, etc), & for anyone just discovering the Freddy character, I think you're in for a treat.

.....But if you're a grumpy old man like me who says stuff like: "In MY day, we had REAL horror movies, & we had to walk 15 miles with snow up to our knees to get to the theater!", & would encourage kids to not see the remake, & stay at home on a Friday night, & just watch their Dad's old VHS copy of the original movie in a dusty VCR, you may not approve of the remake.

I'll most likely give the remake a rewatch when it comes out to blu-ray, or it may have to be DVD because of those pesky firmware updates, but that's another topic.

What Would Kevin Do?
05-01-2010, 04:55 PM
I saw it, I enjoyed it.

It's not bad, unlike the Friday the 13th relaunch, which was horrible. Granted I went in with low expectations, it was definitely better than I thought it'd be. I'm actually impressed that they didn't fuck it up. Jackie Earl Haley did an amazing job.

Plus, I loved the ending, actually more than the first one.

alvarado52
05-01-2010, 05:05 PM
i havent heard great things about it. Actually, i heard they kinda went TOO heavy on the subject matter and not enough on the horror aspect of the film.

What Would Kevin Do?
05-01-2010, 05:19 PM
i havent heard great things about it. Actually, i heard they kinda went TOO heavy on the subject matter and not enough on the horror aspect of the film.

Eh, it's not that bad. They actually built more of a back story, but I think it adds to it more than it takes away.

alvarado52
05-01-2010, 05:22 PM
i personally like remakes that give you a more fleshed out character, which is why i liked the Halloween remake. Ive never been one to listen to other's movie opinions (hated avatar), so ill see it anyway...ill prolly sneak into it after watching Iron Man 2 lol

Fignuts
05-01-2010, 05:27 PM
Good to hear. Never cared for NoES. Was always too goofy for me to take seriously as a horror film, and the comedy was too lame for me to enjoy it as such. Always thought it was a great concept, and thought amuch more serious take on it would be good.

What Would Kevin Do?
05-01-2010, 05:30 PM
Good to hear. Never cared for NoES. Was always too goofy for me to take seriously as a horror film, and the comedy was too lame for me to enjoy it as such. Always thought it was a great concept, and thought amuch more serious take on it would be good.

This one is definitely more serious. There are a few one liners, but they're actually pretty creepy given the circumstances.

Zeeboe
05-01-2010, 09:30 PM
The original is very serious & dark. The series didn't become more of a comedy until later on. Even the new Freddy said his share of funny one-liners, which are creepy, yeah, but plenty of the real Freddy's one-liners were creepy as well.

I'd love to see a sequel to New Nightmare where the real Freddy comes in, & kills everyone who helped do the remake. :)

Eh, it's not that bad. They actually built more of a back story, but I think it adds to it more than it takes away.

But with all due respect, not giving full details can make a character more scary, & more cool too since there's so much mystery about them.

I wouldn't call it being lazy either. I'd call it being realistic. Most people don't know all the little details about infamous killers. Heck, very few people don't seem to be aware that Hitler was abused by his Dad.

I did enjoy the first half of Halloween, & the early parts of the second half, but once he switches masks, in my view, it becomes what we've seen before.

I didn't really like the Friday the 13th remake at all, and I love Jason, and was a supporter for the remake, so yeah, when it crashed and burned the way it did, it sucked for me.

I enjoyed the TCM remake, and the prequel, but I still prefer the classic.

....I really wish all the remakes would stop. The writers of yesterday clearly raised the bar way too high for writers of today.