PDA

View Full Version : I hope every young guy watched HBK-Taker

HTrain90
04-06-2009, 02:39 PM
And I don't just mean the Orton's and CM Punk's of the world - every single person that needs to learn how to script a perfect story needs to watch that match. Those two men told an incredible story and put me on a roller coaster I have no been on in years. Easily the best match of the past 5 years, and possibly the best match I've seen since Wrestlemania 13 (Bret-Austin) in terms of storytelling. I've watched it three times now, and while the suspense isn't there in the re-runs, some of the spots they put together were simply amazing. The match flowed extremely well.

BUT

It was all the little things that made the match. The match itself was pretty basic - start slow, big spot flying out of the ring to hurt them both, then alternate finishers until one stays down. But the little things - the "one... two... barely up" and the way both men reacted to the late kickouts were perfect. And the fact that Shawn and Taker - both well over 40, can put on a match better than any of the guys in their twenties tells me that all of those guys need to go to school on telling a story in the ring.

And my final point - Shawn and Taker did not use a single weapon. Not even a chair. You don't need a "holy shit" ladder spot or a table spot or a sledgehammer to get the crowd to buy the fact that you're beaten. You just have to tell a great story. Shawn and Taker proved that last night. I hope the Hardys were watching - those two are very good and have immense talent, but are lacking in knowing how to put together a story, and last night that was very obvious.

Anyways, I'm still drooling over HBK-Taker and I would think everyone here is, too. As someone said in one of the threads last night (sorry for not crediting you) "If you don't think that match was 5* then stop watching wrestling because you will never ever be satisfied with a match ever again." (or thereabouts) That's exactly how I feel.

The greatest. Period.

Krimzon7
04-06-2009, 02:46 PM
Beautiful, eloquent. You are right. I will say that we can be treated to gems like this with some of the younger talent, if they're properly given a chance. I don't care about the suspense...This match is a marvel to behold. Can't wait to get home and watch this again.

thedamndest
04-06-2009, 02:52 PM
I don't think the guys in their 20's need to go back to school just because the vets put on a five star match. That is the kind of match you put on after years and years of honing your craft. Do you think Taker and HBK could have had that match back in 1990?

Xero
04-06-2009, 02:56 PM
This match defines Sports Entertainment. It is the greatest modern era match by far and easily top three of all time for me, MAYBE even #1.

Kane86
04-06-2009, 02:59 PM
See back in the day wrestling was all about out doing the last guy. WHich last night it ws impossible. Just like I have been saying the whole time. They were going to steal the fucking show. Thats what they did everybodie golden boys Edge and Orton couldn't even do better. That match was titl quality but maybe people should study it because thats how ever title match should be. I am not sure how much they got paid but they earned every fucking penny of it.

After I watched Taker/Micheals everything felt so stale and done before. Even that botched DDT that Micheals did to taker looked fucking awesome. There was no fucking way it can be topped at all. You might as well make the rest of Takers opponents for wrestlemania Jobbers because there will be no way you can have a great match liek that again. For one night only we saw history made and why they are future Hall of Famers. So everyones golden boys Edge and Orton reall need to do there homework becaue last night its like they didn't even give a rats ass. Noone even seemed to fucking try.

HEY! does this mean Cena is going back to Smackdown I hope so.

Jeez
04-06-2009, 03:02 PM
MAYBE even #1.

Definitely not #1

Xero
04-06-2009, 03:03 PM
You're not me, now are you?

Jeez
04-06-2009, 03:05 PM
You're not me, now are you?

Fortunately.

Xero
04-06-2009, 03:07 PM
If you were me you'd have the reading comprehension not to make that first comment.

thedamndest
04-06-2009, 03:09 PM
Aw, Jeez.

Jeez
04-06-2009, 03:11 PM
If I was you I'd have the common sense to know that's not close to the best match ever.

Xero
04-06-2009, 03:16 PM
Please tell me, all-knowing wrestling God, what is the best match ever?

And since we're not talking opinion but fact here, I expect a scientific explanation and a rundown, spot by spot, of why the match is the best ever.

thedamndest
04-06-2009, 03:16 PM
I am really disappointed that I cannot find a clip of Craig T. Nelson saying, "Awww jeez, Luther!"

thedamndest
04-06-2009, 03:17 PM
This is a terrible oversight on the part of the youtube community.

Jeez
04-06-2009, 03:20 PM
Please tell me, all-knowing wrestling God, what is the best match ever?

And since we're not talking opinion but fact here, I expect a scientific explanation and a rundown, spot by spot, of why the match is the best ever.

But we are talking opinion. It is my opinion to disagree with your opinion.

Xero
04-06-2009, 03:22 PM
But we are talking opinion. It is my opinion to disagree with your opinion.

Right, but you attacked me as if I was wrong and if that it was a cold-hard fact that this wasn't the best match ever.

So what's your favorite match, all-knowing douche?

The Fonz
04-06-2009, 03:26 PM
Shit, this match sounds awesome, I guess I'll go watch it.

Jeez
04-06-2009, 03:27 PM
Bam Bam vs. LT

Xero
04-06-2009, 03:28 PM
Know what's sad? I believe that.

Jeez
04-06-2009, 03:29 PM
Ouch. Why'd you have to go and attack me like that?

Xero
04-06-2009, 03:29 PM
So anyway, Taker vs. Michaels, :y:

#BROKEN Hasney
04-06-2009, 03:35 PM
I've now watched it 3 times and Takers WTF face when HBK kicks out of the tombstone is still immense.

Xero
04-06-2009, 03:38 PM
As I said in another thread, I loved when Taker got frustrated and went for the elbow.

James Steele
04-06-2009, 03:39 PM
I've now watched it 3 times and Takers WTF face when HBK kicks out of the tombstone is still immense.

For all the hate on Jim Ross, he can still make a classic moment even more classic.

"I JUST HAD AN OUT OF BODY EXPERIENCE".

Xero
04-06-2009, 03:41 PM
I hated that line and wouldn't doubt it was fed from Vince.

But the "TOMBSTONE! TOMBSTONE!" call was mark out for me. Old school JR.

Jeritron
04-06-2009, 03:42 PM
Such an immense match. One of my alltime favorites instantly.

Krimzon7
04-06-2009, 03:44 PM
Mark out moment indeed. It only saddens me to realize that this may be the beginning of the end for one, if not both of these guys.

PullMyFinger
04-06-2009, 03:46 PM
This is one of those iconic matches that just stand out in Wrestlemania history. 5 stars for sure. Definitely one of the greatest matches I've ever witnessed.

Goes up there with Austin vs. Bret WM 13, Hogan vs. Rock WM X8, etc.

wwe2222
04-06-2009, 04:06 PM
I really liked the progression of the match...by the end of the match they resorted to just slugging it out with each other...usually you have alot of that in the beg of the match, but the placement was great here because they both were getting desperate.

Anybody Thrilla
04-06-2009, 04:14 PM
That match was pretty good, but I still think Taker/Angle from No Way Out (maybe?) a few years ago was better.

Mooияakeя™
04-06-2009, 04:14 PM
If u don't watch it, CM Punk will get buried. That is the effect it will have.... Hang on... oh fuck it. Just watch it.

mike adamle
04-06-2009, 04:51 PM
taker angle from no way out? i know that happened, but that in no way compares... kurt-shawn from wm 21 was better than this, not taker-angle from no way out

#1-norm-fan
04-06-2009, 05:13 PM
HBK deserves to win these matches more often. I know he probably doesn't mind, but GOD the man is ridiculous.

I know the fact that the streak was on the line had alot to do with the drama that was made. Can you imagine if HBK got another good, long title run. Every PPV main event would feature Shawn Michaels... and the drama of a the world title being on the line. :drool:

Even better, HBK vs. Taker in a rematch for the world title. :drool: :drool:

Fuck pushing new guys. WWE just needs to find ways to make Shawn Michaels be able to wrestle for 20 more years. lol

Anybody Thrilla
04-06-2009, 05:35 PM
taker angle from no way out? i know that happened, but that in no way compares... kurt-shawn from wm 21 was better than this, not taker-angle from no way out

You know that it happened? Did you see it?

mike adamle
04-06-2009, 05:40 PM
indeed

The Optimist
04-06-2009, 06:07 PM
Too bad everyone knew Taker was going to win.

Krimzon7
04-06-2009, 06:15 PM
Yes, we knew. But honestly, I didn't give a damn. I got lost in the greatness of the match. So much that the mark in me started believing that maybe, just maybe anything could happen. They wrestled a smart marks' match last night. It was glorious.

Fox
04-06-2009, 06:19 PM
Wonder how Taker and Shawn can walk around with all of you all up on their dicks.

It was a very good match. But come on. "Best match ever"? No.

Xero
04-06-2009, 06:19 PM
Yes, we knew. But honestly, I didn't give a damn. I got lost in the greatness of the match. So much that the mark in me started believing that maybe, just maybe anything could happen. They wrestled a smart marks' match last night. It was glorious.

Once Michaels kicked out of that Tombstone, in the back of my head I was thinking "they wouldn't have Michaels win... would they?"

For them to get that out of me with legitimate doubt about the outcome is amazing.

Xero
04-06-2009, 06:22 PM
Wonder how Taker and Shawn can walk around with all of you all up on their dicks.

It was a very good match. But come on. "Best match ever"? No.

Best match ever? No. Favorite match ever? Very possibly.

There's more here going than just the match itself, which was phenomenal. The atmosphere brought it up and the fact that I am an absolute mark for both men brings it up a notch. They storyline was good, too, if simplistic.

But I stand by my opinion that this was the greatest modern era match.

And as far as storytelling goes, it does not get too much better than this.

The Show Off
04-06-2009, 06:41 PM
That match was pretty good, but I still think Taker/Angle from No Way Out (maybe?) a few years ago was better.

That was an pretty amazing match it might be better than last night. I still have to give HBK/Taker another look. But from initial wacthing I'd say the No Way Out match was better... but only just.

The only issue I may have with last night's match was that is was too slow at times but that's just me nit picking what was a tremendous match, when matches are this good its hard to tell between them.

The Show Off
04-06-2009, 06:42 PM
Best match ever? No. Favorite match ever? Very possibly.

There's more here going than just the match itself, which was phenomenal. The atmosphere brought it up and the fact that I am an absolute mark for both men brings it up a notch. They storyline was good, too, if simplistic.

But I stand by my opinion that this was the greatest modern era match.

And as far as storytelling goes, it does not get too much better than this.

What constitutes modern era? This isn't me trying to argue just curious what you consider the modern era.

Rammsteinmad
04-06-2009, 06:43 PM
Too bad everyone knew Taker was going to win.

There were some moments in this match where I honestly didn't think he would.

Xero
04-06-2009, 06:44 PM
WM20-onward.

NeanderCarl
04-06-2009, 07:30 PM
Amazing match, instant classic. But the "slow start" was a very slow start. I felt my heart sinking as I started to fear that the match wasn't going to live up to the hype or my expectations.

I'm not even talking 'classic psychology' slow start, I'm talking a match that didn't look like it was actually going to move up that gear it needed to, for a scary while... but man, when it finally did, WHAT A FUCKING MATCH.

NeanderCarl
04-06-2009, 07:32 PM
I am actually watching the match again as we speak.

If you have a copy and plan to watch it again any time soon... check out Michaels' hair when Taker has him locked in the Hell's Gate early into the match. Time to give up the ghost, HBK... if he shaved that head, he'd reveal what has slowly become a Phil Collins hairline underneath the flowing barnet.

NeanderCarl
04-06-2009, 07:37 PM
I'm talking his entire crown is now bald, he just has a Collins-like tuft at the front which obviously he grows long and ties back to give the impression of a full head of hair... If some cruel fucker shaved that small tuft at the front of his hairline when he was asleep, he would literally have a brunette Hogan do.

Pegasus Crawford
04-06-2009, 09:13 PM
<object width="480" height="295"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/x8HDl9Zu7z4&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/x8HDl9Zu7z4&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="295"></embed></object>

Still can't get over Taker's reaction to the kickout of the Tombstone.

Xero
04-06-2009, 09:17 PM
His facial expression is what everyone was thinking.

I would have bought it as the finish.

wwe2222
04-06-2009, 11:14 PM
I'm talking his entire crown is now bald, he just has a Collins-like tuft at the front which obviously he grows long and ties back to give the impression of a full head of hair... If some cruel fucker shaved that small tuft at the front of his hairline when he was asleep, he would literally have a brunette Hogan do.

It was really noticeable last night. I dont understand why he doesnt get something done about it.

Krimzon7
04-07-2009, 08:54 AM
He could go Angle, and wear the wig with headgear...