PDA

View Full Version : Freddy Adu

BCWWF
03-28-2004, 08:39 PM
I just saw him on 60 Minutes, I can't believe he is only 14, but as he said on the show, what would he have to gain by pretending to be younger. What do you think, 14 or not?

Krow
03-28-2004, 10:52 PM
Freddy A-who?

Jesus Shuttlesworth
03-28-2004, 10:55 PM
He has no reason to but he could be unsure what his true age is or something like that

All I know is this guy is gonna make soccer way more popular in the USA

Xen0ciDe
03-29-2004, 05:48 AM
He is 14. ugh, all that pressure!

Paranoid Rattlesnake
03-29-2004, 07:39 AM
http://www.mnstate.edu/soccer/freddy16.jpg

Jacko
03-29-2004, 08:30 AM
Freddy Adu looks a big talent, i've seen him a few times already.

He's from Ghana and is super quick and super strong.

The best comparison would be to Martins of Inter, whether Adu can improve for the future is another thing.

The Comet Kid
03-29-2004, 08:33 AM
All I know is this guy is gonna make soccer way more popular in the USA
*football :)

Even if he is older than he says/thinks he's still a great talent and has all the potential to be a fantastic player. He'll probably end up at United in the future who have a few americans over there already which should make it easier for him to settle.

Rob
03-29-2004, 01:04 PM
At Man United by the time he is 17.

Wengerland
03-29-2004, 01:15 PM
Gotta be older than 14,he would gain a longer career if he claims to be younger but then again could end up exposed as being too old when he would supposedly be about 30.

Seems to be the man though.

Jesus Shuttlesworth
03-29-2004, 02:54 PM
*football :)

Even if he is older than he says/thinks he's still a great talent and has all the potential to be a fantastic player. He'll probably end up at United in the future who have a few americans over there already which should make it easier for him to settle.
*everyone calls it soccer in the United States :)

Jacko
03-29-2004, 03:13 PM
Gotta be older than 14,he would gain a longer career if he claims to be younger but then again could end up exposed as being too old when he would supposedly be about 30.

Seems to be the man though.

Your wrong, he's coming to Chelsea. :wave:

BCWWF
03-29-2004, 07:46 PM
That'd be sweet if he played for Chelsea. And I am not sure if he is really that strong, he is like 5'7" and 160 pounds or something, so nothing to write home about yet there.

Before watching that sixty minutes thing, I was kind of skeptical that one player could change a lot of peoples views on the sport, but after seeing some clips I honestly think he will do things. In the Sports Illustrated article it talked about how there were overflow crowds and people trying to spy on his preseason games alone, so his presence is definately going to increase attendance.

It is just crazy how young yet mature he is.

Also, if the MLS can deal him out in a few years for a huge transfer fee... :drool:

Wengerland
03-30-2004, 02:14 PM
Your wrong, he's coming to Chelsea. :wave:

I don't recall saying he was going anywhere.

Jacko
03-30-2004, 05:42 PM
I think we have first dibs on him.

Not 100%, but I think we paid £3 Million.. or as the rumor went :O

BCWWF
03-30-2004, 06:31 PM
He was offered 750,000 from Inter when he was 10 years old, but didn't take it.

Also, I think its unfair that he plays for the US instead of Ghana

Jacko
03-30-2004, 06:51 PM
True, but they have trained him up. Double edged sword.

Wengerland
03-31-2004, 12:58 PM
I guess if he's lived there long enough then it's his choice,as the rules state.It's probably better he's gone to a developing side that has good potential like the U.S,rather than (maybe) be out of place in Ghana's team.

BCWWF
03-31-2004, 11:40 PM
Yeah, it is overall better off for him to be on the US team. I wonder if he trained here buy played for Ghana, if Ghana would make the World Cup?

El Capitano Gatisto
04-02-2004, 05:27 PM
Chelsea paid to have first refusal on him when he leaves MLS.

Wengerland
04-03-2004, 05:07 AM
Has he just made his MLS debut or something?

MoRcHeEbA
04-03-2004, 05:09 AM
he played one game, coming on as a sub, he scored like a minute into his game... He's starting for the first time today I believe April 3rd :o

The Mask
04-03-2004, 07:15 AM
Oh man. I wish we got him. Watching him and Cristiano Ronaldo tear it up would be a thing of true beauty :'(

El Capitano Gatisto
04-03-2004, 09:39 AM
Fu</>ck that, he's got a long way to go. You're getting Liam Miller, he's the man.

The Mask
04-03-2004, 03:04 PM
he's more a defensive midfielder isn't he? I don't really know much about him.

BCWWF
04-03-2004, 03:43 PM
I don't know exactly which position he plays, but he definately scores a lot.

The Mask
04-03-2004, 04:10 PM
who? adu? he's an attacking midfielder

El Capitano Gatisto
04-03-2004, 04:30 PM
he's more a defensive midfielder isn't he? I don't really know much about him.

Nah, he's likely to be a long term Scholes replacement. He is a battler, but he gets forward and in amongst the goals.

Needs to sort out the injuries though. Right now he is Ireland's great white hope, because, as good as Duff and Robbie K are, we need quality in centre midfield desperately.

Supreme Olajuwon
04-03-2004, 05:40 PM
The match is on TV right now. Adu came on as a sub in like the 60th minute or so. Its in the 67th minute right now.

Supreme Olajuwon
04-03-2004, 06:07 PM
well that was anticlimatic. You could definately tell he was nervous because he had some awkward touches. Although I dont really know what I was expecting from a 14 year old

Jacko
04-03-2004, 07:16 PM
He wont be on fire for at least a year so hold your horses :D

El Capitano Gatisto
04-03-2004, 07:39 PM
He's 14, he shouldn't even be considered for at least another 2 years. Raul broke in to the Real Madrid team at 15 or 16, but Raul is the man.

Adu probably can't even legally play professionally in any established leagues.

Jacko
04-04-2004, 04:18 PM
DOn't think Rául was that young :A?

I think him and Casiallas were 17 when they firmly got in the team.

Danny Electric
04-04-2004, 04:27 PM
They'll have to be careful or else his career will be over at an early age.

El Capitano Gatisto
04-04-2004, 04:36 PM
DOn't think Rául was that young :A?

I think him and Casiallas were 17 when they firmly got in the team.

I remember Football Focus doing a piece on Raul years back when he broke in to the Real Madrid team at 15 or 16.

MTR
04-05-2004, 10:20 AM
Well I believe he is fourteen. I watched his MLS debut(he already did his professional debut) and he did good. Nothing to write home about. He got out there and had some good touches coming in as a sub. I am sure he will score some goals and get some starts before the season is up.

I saw some talk about playing for US over Ghana. Well he became a US citizen and never played for Ghana there for he plays for the US in international play on a couple of the younger national teams. I am sure he will get some caps with the main team in a year or so. He did not play a game for the US until he was a citizen. He trained with the team though.

Basically it really was the best choice for him to play MLS now and get the money instead of playing college. He got offers to play in Europe but he would be playing on youth teams or reserves teams until he was around 18 which would not do him any good. Plus he gets to stay close to him by playing in DC.

I expect when he is around 17 or 18 if he is interested MLS will let him transfer to Europe for a big transfer fee. I know that they will want to keep him but they will not hold him back either if he really wants to go.

El Capitano Gatisto
04-05-2004, 02:08 PM
Actually I think him playing for youth sides in Europe, especially at somewhere like Manchester United, would do him the world of good. Well, depending on the club.

Manchester United especially have a brilliant youth set-up, and are also excellent at protecting their young stars from hype and media. He shouldn't really be playing top flight football at his age, but getting top class coaching from the best coaches there are, and those would happen to be in Europe.

MTR
04-05-2004, 02:23 PM
Well there are advantages and disadvantages to both sides. Overall I think he made the right choice for now for him. It may not have been the best choice for someone else. Sure he could have signed for more money and played under better coaches but he is only 14 and would be away from family which I seriously doubt would have just pakced up and moved to Europe after the trouble to move to the US. Sure in theory they could split the time because he would make enough money for his mom not to work but in the end I think it is good he stayed in the US. Plus this is good for MLS. Gives hype to the league and they can make money off him later. Kind of a win-win situation really for him and the league.

That and remember yes he is playing in a top league with some world class players but overall the level of play is not the same as it in Europe. MLS is getting better all the time but it is not like he is being thrown into one of the top leagues in Europe at 14. It is just MLS. It has not really hurt Donovan to play in MLS after sitting the bench for two years in Germany when he signed with them when he was like 16.

Adu has plenty of time to move over to Europe to improve his game when he is a little older.

BCWWF
04-05-2004, 06:49 PM
I wouldn't say that playing for a youth club is the best thing for him, because he has already proven that he is better than most of the guys in the U-19 World. Playing in the MLS isn't the greatest place to play either though. The MLS is just longballs and hacking, but at least he will get a year or two in with guys that are at his level while popularizing the sport in the US.

Wengerland
04-05-2004, 06:53 PM
Seeing as people keep talking about the MLS selling him,do clubs over there actually have players contracts or what?

Or does that draft mean that the MLS has the contracts of everyone?

El Capitano Gatisto
04-05-2004, 09:28 PM
I wouldn't say that playing for a youth club is the best thing for him, because he has already proven that he is better than most of the guys in the U-19 World. Playing in the MLS isn't the greatest place to play either though. The MLS is just longballs and hacking, but at least he will get a year or two in with guys that are at his level while popularizing the sport in the US.

Whatever about how good he is, he's only 14. He should be playing for a youth side until at least until he is past the age of 16. He is still growing at 14, however developed he is, and he won't be able to stand up to playing grown men, week in, week out. You run the risk of burning him out.

We all saw what happened to that other physically gifted prodigy, Ronaldo. Big before his time, playing top flight from the age of 16, and he burned out. I think it would be better for American football, and Adu, if a bit of patience was shown with the kid. He should have been shielded from publicity and allowed to develop like any other footballer.

No question he is extremely talented, but he isn't the only prodigy in football to have emerged, and there is nothing to say he will ultimately show the same dominance on the top level as he did at youth.

MTR
04-06-2004, 09:36 AM
Seeing as people keep talking about the MLS selling him,do clubs over there actually have players contracts or what?

Or does that draft mean that the MLS has the contracts of everyone?

No. All contracts are with MLS and not the teams. The teams do have control of the players and have say in the amount of money and what not as far as I know. But in the end MLS owns the players and some of the teams I think. So if anyone transfers out MLS gets the money and not the team.

MTR
04-06-2004, 09:39 AM
Whatever about how good he is, he's only 14. He should be playing for a youth side until at least until he is past the age of 16. He is still growing at 14, however developed he is, and he won't be able to stand up to playing grown men, week in, week out. You run the risk of burning him out.

We all saw what happened to that other physically gifted prodigy, Ronaldo. Big before his time, playing top flight from the age of 16, and he burned out. I think it would be better for American football, and Adu, if a bit of patience was shown with the kid. He should have been shielded from publicity and allowed to develop like any other footballer.

No question he is extremely talented, but he isn't the only prodigy in football to have emerged, and there is nothing to say he will ultimately show the same dominance on the top level as he did at youth.

Well right now he is not starting and he may or may not start any time soon. I think they are going to limit his time since he is only 14 and smaller than other players. So I am not too worried about him burning out. MLS does have a youth program if it is decided he needs to go there.

I agree that he should have been shielded to a degree from the publicity that he is getting but unfortunately in the states that is hard to do when you got a story like his. That and MLS is hyping the fact he is there to help themselves out.

Wengerland
04-06-2004, 09:44 AM
No. All contracts are with MLS and not the teams. The teams do have control of the players and have say in the amount of money and what not as far as I know. But in the end MLS owns the players and some of the teams I think. So if anyone transfers out MLS gets the money and not the team.

Ok thanks.

Seems kind of odd that they don't get independence,but i guess there's reasons for that.